snaillad

MOC: Paradisa Estates

Hello fellow EB members.

I've been working on a mid-century house interior as I was influenced by the housing magazines from the time.

There are many features you might find in a home of that era. Textures on the walls, a sloped roof and a open-plan feel.

Anyway onto the pics;

Paradisa Estates

Paradisa EstatesParadisa Estates

I've posted them also in my flick stream if you wish to view them there;

https://www.flickr.com/photos/52656812@N04/

As always any queries or comments welcome!

I'll be honest, I love this style of interior design, and you've done a marvelous job of capturing it.

It does look like Mad Max.

However calling something Paradisa and not having a pink is highly misleading. :pir_tong2:

Excellent work. It has a great 70's vibe to it, especially with the orange kitchen. I must admit I had a bad thought when I first read the promo literature. In the United States, "plot" often refers to an individual section one purchases in a cemetery. Usually, we use the term "lot" for land developers. One letter, but it had me thinking Paradisa meets funeral parlour for a moment. Hilarious thought though.

Some neat features here for sure. Great job on the mid century vibes. I love the retro tv and stereo.

I was hoping to see a modularized version of Paradisa from the mid 90s so was a bit disappointed to see this beautiful MOC. hehe

Also, I will agree on the word plot. Made me second guess a bit, but I then decided not to think anything of it since that pond between us seems to alter word usage.

Stunning 1960s architectural style. :excited:
The hairstyles are also perfect, especially that of the lady in the kitchen. :pir-huzzah2:
The cabinet with the radio is amazing as well as the finishing of the walls! :wub_drool:

On 1/23/2022 at 11:17 PM, jp-30 said:

That looks amazing - perfectly captures the vibe and colours. I love the conversation pit!

On 1/23/2022 at 11:46 PM, Duvors said:

I'll be honest, I love this style of interior design, and you've done a marvelous job of capturing it.

Thank you very much! I really like this era. Lots of geometric textures!

On 1/23/2022 at 11:46 PM, lifeinplastic said:

I always enjoy your builds, snaillad - this one reminds me a lot of the latter series of Mad Men.

I can't say I've seen it but thanks!

On 1/24/2022 at 3:34 AM, Maple said:

It does look like Mad Max.

However calling something Paradisa and not having a pink is highly misleading. :pir_tong2:

Definitely not misleading, its the interior of the 'country club'! :laugh:

On 1/24/2022 at 4:30 AM, ExeSandbox said:

Gosh, those walls!! 

One of those MOCs that makes me wish I could be a tiny minifigure. :drool:

Don't stare at them too long, it'll make your eyes square, or cubed! :wacko:

On 1/24/2022 at 10:23 AM, CastleRail said:

The retro TV is brilliant :pir-devil:

Thanks!

On 1/24/2022 at 5:58 PM, Feuer Zug said:

Excellent work. It has a great 70's vibe to it, especially with the orange kitchen. I must admit I had a bad thought when I first read the promo literature. In the United States, "plot" often refers to an individual section one purchases in a cemetery. Usually, we use the term "lot" for land developers. One letter, but it had me thinking Paradisa meets funeral parlour for a moment. Hilarious thought though.

Appreciated! Paradisa meets death would be a heck of a mash-up. Maybe something for the future :laugh: Here in the UK a plot usually refers to a 'plot of land' when you buy a house from a new estate and a 'lot' is used to define an auction listing. Something to confuse non-native English speakers!

22 hours ago, TheLegoDr said:

Some neat features here for sure. Great job on the mid century vibes. I love the retro tv and stereo.

I was hoping to see a modularized version of Paradisa from the mid 90s so was a bit disappointed to see this beautiful MOC. hehe

Also, I will agree on the word plot. Made me second guess a bit, but I then decided not to think anything of it since that pond between us seems to alter word usage.

It's on my list to make something with a Paradisa theme. I loved it back in the 90's when I was a kid, now I just stole the name for my purpose!

Yeah maybe I should said 'Reserve your house today' :laugh:

26 minutes ago, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Stunning 1960s architectural style. :excited:
The hairstyles are also perfect, especially that of the lady in the kitchen. :pir-huzzah2:
The cabinet with the radio is amazing as well as the finishing of the walls! :wub_drool:

Thank you. Gotta love the behive hairpiece, hope they keep making it in more colours! The radio sadly would fall apart if I tipped the model slightly so I've cheated a bit there!

I've always loved the architectural builds you've put out and this one is no exception. You really nailed all of the details that make this feel authentic to the area. Not that I have lived it, I'm far too young for that :laugh:. But like someone else pointed it: it also reminds me of the later seasons of Mad Men when the main character buys a house reminiscent of your MOC, with the conversations pit and stuff.

Lots of cool things to see here!

I saw this featured on Brothers Brick the other day! I really love it—this style of architecture and interior furnishing, with features like a conversation pit, isn't something I'd ever seen done in Lego before.

Edited by Lyichir

Fantastic stuff - your builds always show a true artistic eye, and are genuinely inspiring.

Given the stylistic accuracy, do you mind me asking what sort of things you use for research? From my own real-world interior design, inspired by Art Deco and later Mid Century Modern styles, that Pinterest can be pretty handy, and I’ve seen photos of very similar designs to yours here.

On 1/29/2022 at 12:59 PM, STHLM said:

So much to like here. Well done!

Thank you!

On 1/30/2022 at 12:42 PM, Khorne said:

I've always loved the architectural builds you've put out and this one is no exception. You really nailed all of the details that make this feel authentic to the area. Not that I have lived it, I'm far too young for that :laugh:. But like someone else pointed it: it also reminds me of the later seasons of Mad Men when the main character buys a house reminiscent of your MOC, with the conversations pit and stuff.

Lots of cool things to see here!

Yeah I can only dream of living in a house of that era with all that space. I had to look up mad men as I was unfamiliar with it, I see what you mean with the similarities! Thanks!

On 1/30/2022 at 6:28 PM, Lyichir said:

I saw this featured on Brothers Brick the other day! I really love it—this style of architecture and interior furnishing, with features like a conversation pit, isn't something I'd ever seen done in Lego before.

Thank you @Lyichir the whole MOC was built around having a conversation pit. Everything else is just an add on! :laugh: Sadly don't think i'll have an excuse to put a conversation pit in another MOC!

15 hours ago, DeanLearner said:

Fantastic stuff - your builds always show a true artistic eye, and are genuinely inspiring.

Given the stylistic accuracy, do you mind me asking what sort of things you use for research? From my own real-world interior design, inspired by Art Deco and later Mid Century Modern styles, that Pinterest can be pretty handy, and I’ve seen photos of very similar designs to yours here.

Thanks @DeanLearner, I try to pick original ideas and styles that I seldom see.

I never really used pinterest until recently but I find the quality on there is very good. I'd usually use google images then try and narrow down areas I like and if its a building I'll try and check it out on streetview. As for interiors I find it difficult to track down quality photos of old interiors. I've had many photo's saved for years in a folder on my HD as someday they might get used in MOC;s. In the case of art-deco through to mid-century my favorite inspiration is usually postcards which are very stylistic, I have a book of them but a lot of them can be found on flickr.

Absolutely amazing! Great use of scale, with those glass panes as skylights into the interior! I was lucky enough to grab a full PAB cup of them recently, so you've really inspired me -- would love to see your take on some more whimsical or postmodernist styles too: i.e. Italian Radical Design and such. They even used LEGO themselves! Seems that you can make any piece of furniture with parts available today. Thank you for sharing this.

I see you are still making beautiful and interesting designs. So much fantastic texture... makes me appreciate an architectural style I always thought was pretty blah. Slanted roof beams are a nice touch.

Edited by eliza