Feuer Zug

Rotary snowplow - King of Winter

When Elsa starts singing, "Let it snow", the maintenance crews on the railroad cringe. When the snow piles up higher than the locomotives or flangers can keep up with, it's time to call out the big guns. For your consideration, I submit a rotary snowplow. This plow is 24 studs long, and the main body is 6 studs wide. The actual blades and housing are 8 studs and a plate wide. The blades spin, and are connected to the front bogie by a set of 1:1 gearing.

51836013048_2795f29223_c.jpg

51835902061_491529a307_c.jpg

51836635975_23b572c348_c.jpg

51836253669_7d3af7521e_c.jpg

As many of you will ask for a shot of the bogie to see how I did it, here you go. No, I'm not going to rip it apart so you can see the connection from the vertical shaft to the blade shaft. It's another 1:1 gear connection.

51836013183_60eeffc3df_c.jpg

And to show it works, I took video of it. At the end of the video, you can see the train stop, but the entire track structure slide on the ice. Yeah, that was not expected. Funny in hindsight, but a good reminder of how treacherous ice can be. I still can't figure out how to embed a video from Flickr, so if anybody knows, please tell me. Otherwise, the link is below.

https://youtu.be/OgqBI9ErvUI

https://live.staticflickr.com/video/51836635960/ee1100997e/1080p.mp4?s=eyJpIjo1MTgzNjYzNTk2MCwiZSI6MTY0Mjg2NzAzMywicyI6ImVkYzVjMWExNDI0YTQyNTFhMjZlN2RjZDExZjA4Y2M3ZjBhNDY3YzYiLCJ2IjoxfQ

Edited by Feuer Zug
Video upload correction

I've seen a few builds of these over the years but yours is very nicely propotioned, with that perfect balance of simple appearance but with little details. And of course the spinning blade is fantastic!

Unfortunately I too can't see the video (I just get an "invalid signature" page). I don't think you can actually embed flickr videos, just put a link to the page or to your account instead?

7 hours ago, McWaffel said:

Very cool build, unfortunately the video link doesn’t work for me 

1 hour ago, ColletArrow said:

I've seen a few builds of these over the years but yours is very nicely propotioned, with that perfect balance of simple appearance but with little details. And of course the spinning blade is fantastic!

Unfortunately I too can't see the video (I just get an "invalid signature" page). I don't think you can actually embed flickr videos, just put a link to the page or to your account instead?

https://www.flickr.com/photos/43069041@N03/

Try this to access my Flickr and the video.

Nice! As others have said, a well proportioned design with clever mechanics.

(and the sliding on the ice is a great bonus, I was explaining broom ball to a few people over the past few snowy days and that out of control ice slide really has a broom ball feeling to it)

22 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Nice! As others have said, a well proportioned design with clever mechanics.

(and the sliding on the ice is a great bonus, I was explaining broom ball to a few people over the past few snowy days and that out of control ice slide really has a broom ball feeling to it)

Thanks. The sliding on the ice was unexpected and definitely true. Hadn't thought about comparing it to broom ball, but it's been ages.

16 hours ago, XG BC said:

looks nice!

Thanks.

I've uploaded the video to Youtube as well:

https://youtu.be/OgqBI9ErvUI

Edited by Feuer Zug

On 1/24/2022 at 7:24 AM, LEGO Train 12 Volts said:

Awesome, the video of this train in action is really impressive! :thumbup:

Grazie. It does look nice with the blades spinning as it cruises around the track.

19 hours ago, Brickwolf said:

Great rotary snowplow!:thumbup:

Thanks.

This is awesome! I always have wanted to make one of these, but I don't want to ruin my electronics!:sceptic:

2 hours ago, whitepen said:

This is awesome! I always have wanted to make one of these, but I don't want to ruin my electronics!:sceptic:

Thank you. This rotary snowplow won't ruin your electronics. It is unpowered, requiring a locomotive to push it. If the snow hadn't been flat, I wouldn't have taken the pictures outside. It does look great running around my layout.

Nice.  Reminds me of the fun I had with the one I made a long time ago.  Good luck with Ideas.

Spectacular!!! And photo on real snow is a masterpiece!

Nice solution for the external part of the bogie on snowplow side :thumbup:

Great stuff! :wub:

Ciao!

Davide

On 2/6/2022 at 11:40 AM, bogieman said:

Love it, supported.

Thanks for the support.

On 2/6/2022 at 11:51 AM, dr_spock said:

Nice.  Reminds me of the fun I had with the one I made a long time ago.  Good luck with Ideas.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Paperinik77pk said:

Spectacular!!! And photo on real snow is a masterpiece!

Nice solution for the external part of the bogie on snowplow side :thumbup:

Great stuff! :wub:

Ciao!

Davide

Having it out on real snow was fun. Thanks.