Sign in to follow this  
BananaBrick01

LEGO Train Tunnel Idea - Suggestions and support

Hi all - this is my first time posting in the Train Tech forum, so hopefully I get things right :)

I am really interested in any suggestions and support on my train tunnel project on LEGO Ideas (Old Hill Train Tunnel) - I would really like there to be an official LEGO train tunnel, and I am trying to get the overall parameters and design right - so I am coming to the experts :)

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/b86fc97f-c793-4d15-81f3-8ebef34139b3

51851949443_dba8c476cc_c.jpgOld Hill Train Tunnel by BananaBrick01, on Flickr

My objectives so far have been:

- make sure the tunnel is wide enough for Emerald Night to enter and tall enough for 7725 to enter without removing its pantographs;

- have removeable roof panels so trains can be seen through the roof, and the inside of the tunnel accessed;

- have open areas on some sides (caves, waterfalls, etc.) so there is also some visibility of the trains passing through the tunnel on the side view;

- have a hinge functionality so the tunnel can work either as two tunnels side by side or one long tunnel (similar to the functionality of Train Shed model 10027);

- have enough play-focused features so it is an interesting set for all ages, whether or not attached to a wider track; and

- not to panel the sleepers with flat brown tiles, which pushes up the piece count, and noting this isn’t something that LEGO tends to do on official sets (even if it can look nice in the right setting).

Am I missing anything here (or does anyone disagree with these parameters)? Any suggestions or support very welcome.

Thanks everyone for your time :)

DD4A3390-E0D1-428D-8BD6-EA1B6CF4BFC4.jpeg

Edited by BananaBrick01
To add embedded photo from Flickr

26 minutes ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

Will the Croc fit (10277)
This massive loc was designed for tunnels.

Hi JaBaCaDaBra - that’s a really good question! :)

Unlike EN and 7725 I don’t have a 10277 on hand to test, but by my measurements the width clearance should be fine (the side rails on the middle section should clear with ease) and the Croc should clear height wise as well, so long as the pantographs are set to a medium-to-low setting - at its highest point the tunnel entrance is currently 14 bricks above the plate beneath the rails, though this goes down to 13 bricks high immediately above the rails and 11 bricks high at the lowest point on the sides (which might become relevant where a setup has a corner immediately before the tunnel).

Does that help? I’m definitely interested in getting hold of a croc now to test this, particularly as you say it is designed to run through mountain tunnels :)

3 hours ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

Supported
However this idea is an sich great I would like to see it more "rocky"

Thanks so much :)

I am going to do a test with 10277, and look at doing an expanded build with extra height clearance for higher pantograph settings + making it rockier for more of a mountain setting. I should be able to add this to Ideas as an ‘update’ to the concept to test it, alongside the core edit, and then build it into the main edit if it works :)

Edited by BananaBrick01

Not a bad design. It does appear you have decent clearance for trains entering the tunnel. As mentioned, is it enough for the Crocodile? The hinge idea is pretty cool too. Gives options for layouts. Supported.

21 minutes ago, Feuer Zug said:

Not a bad design. It does appear you have decent clearance for trains entering the tunnel. As mentioned, is it enough for the Crocodile? The hinge idea is pretty cool too. Gives options for layouts. Supported.

Thanks Feuer Zug! :)

The more I look into it, I think the clearance for the croc will depend on the height of the pantograph settings - I think it will clear (to be tested!) if the pantos are set lower, but I would need to build in additional clearance for mid to high settings. (By way of comparison, my 7725 can’t enter the train engine shed 10027 without the pantographs being removed - I built Old Hill taller to have additional clearance, but clearly the croc is a level or two higher still than 7725!)

Making it high enough for 10277 with high pantograph might make it look too large for regular locos. Medium pantograph setting sounds reasonable imo. 

In case you're wondering. The crocodile fits into 10277!... As long you angle the roof into the building from above. :-) 

IMG_20220121_180642

1 minute ago, Sunil766 said:

Making it high enough for 10277 with high pantograph might make it look too large for regular locos. Medium pantograph setting sounds reasonable imo. 

In case you're wondering. The crocodile fits into 10277!... As long you angle the roof into the building from above. :-) 

IMG_20220121_180642

Thanks - that’s really helpful as a comparison! :)

Yes, re: overall size, I was thinking that any increase in height might need to be offset with some widening of the entrance, if only so things don’t get out of proportion. And you’re right I don’t want the size to get so big it looks wrong for other LEGO trains.

Just to say I am testing out some aesthetic changes to the entranceways, including adding a layer of masonry bricks behind the main arch and adding a date sign using custom stickers above a pair of 24246 extended circle tiles - see photo below. (The date chosen is significant in LEGO history, in case anyone can figure it out….)

Any feedback really welcome - I’m trying to make this into a tunnel people would want to use in their own layouts ;)

F412CBB0-1591-49DF-8C78-BB50FC111D69.jpeg

This is a great idea and I have supported it.  I really like that you have come up with a story for the tunnel to add to the play for all ages.  Good luck.

15 hours ago, garmsey said:

This is a great idea and I have supported it.  I really like that you have come up with a story for the tunnel to add to the play for all ages.  Good luck.

thanks so much garmsey - really appreciate it ;)

One other possible addition I am playing with is to add a removable ‘bricked-up’ panel that can be placed in one or other of the tunnel entrances - it might add to the abandoned ‘look’, and may even be useful when only one half of the tunnel is connected to a track….

The wall is just balancing at the moment - I will need to rustle up some tan jumper plates to actually anchor it to the floor ;)

64EFF547-D5FB-43E6-880D-ED6596A52B32.jpeg

By way of update on the project, the boulders have now arrived after a couple of months waiting :head_back: :pir-huzzah1:, so I've finally been able to get the rockslide finished and working....

51856043038_f62c8fffaa_c.jpgTesting the rockslide…. by BananaBrick01, on Flickr

I tend to like the trains to run smoothly, though my son loves it when there are accidents... I fear we now might have a few derailments mid-tunnel...! :oh3:

51856622320_95943cc992_c.jpgTesting the rockslide…. by BananaBrick01, on Flickr

The boulders look like fun for kids.  Does the pull tab in the picture release them?  Also, can the passing train make them fall?  Thanks for the updates.

5 hours ago, garmsey said:

The boulders look like fun for kids.  Does the pull tab in the picture release them?  Also, can the passing train make them fall?  Thanks for the updates.

Hi Garmsey - you’re right, pulling the tab launches the rockslide. Here is a video I made showing it in action: 

It is a really interesting idea to have a passing train launch the rockslide -  or other features I guess. Might have to put my thinking cap on… :classic:

In response to JaBaCaDaBra's feedback on making the tunnel 'rockier', here is a 'sneak preview' of the February update to Old Hill Train Tunnel which should hopefully go live in just over a week...

51873369528_58b7df0f8f_c.jpgOld Hill Train Tunnel (LEGO Ideas) by BananaBrick01, on Flickr

Really appreciate all the support and feedback on this... please consider voting if you would like to have an official LEGO train tunnel on LEGO Ideas! :pir-thumb: