Ferrari F40
51829932708_c532ef8000.jpg
The most iconic supercar from the edgy eighties. The last hardcore beast signed off on by Enzo. The absolutely definitive Ferrari. The legend

Functions
- Working steering wheel
- 5+R dogleg gearbox
- Fake V8 working engine
- Independent double wishbone suspension at all 4 wheels
- Openable doors, front and rear clamshell
- Manually operated pop-up headlights

Design and Inspiration
This creation is inspired by the fantastic work of @jorgeopesi from 7-8 years ago, reborn with contemporary Lego Technic pieces. I kept the gear shift mechanism of the original, and changed the gearbox to a modified version of @Rudivdk's 5+R manual transmission. Some exterior solutions also take reference from jorge's version, but everything else from steering, suspension setup to engine, body panels etc are my own designs. It's not a mod by any means, but hopefully a worthy remake.

With the evolution of LEGO parts palette over the years, I have also managed to add more details to the model, such as:

- cooling slots under the rear spoiler
51830145889_186fc57077.jpg

- exhaust manifold and a see-through rear grille
51829918373_716739b2d2.jpg

- detailed interior and more representative racing bucket seats

51829803671_6a67969d8c.jpg
- detailed engine bay with all the bells and whistles (intercoolers, airboxes, etc)
51830160459_63863e9a14.jpg

- as well as, the iconic line that runs across the entire car 
51829803606_edc00d23f4.jpg
- also worth mentioning is the 3-piece rod hidden in the rear bumper that supports the rear clamshell when it's opened. 
51830160464_7a22f460a6.jpg
51828862827_018f53243e.jpg

Construction 
The car was originally built with parts from set 8145, 8070, and additional parts from my parts bin. However, 2x 42125 is also a great base, which provides 70% of the parts. The missing 30% is listed here. When making instructions, I have also tried to substitute expensive parts such as Red 14L soft axles, or Red 1x6 thin liftarms with more affordable solutions. The wheels used in the instruction are also from set 42125 to save cost, but if you want to use standard technic 56mm D wheels - part 15038, just need to use 7L liftarms instead of 6L as the rear wishbones. These wheels will stick out a bit and provide a slight rake, giving the car a more aggressive look. The wheels used in photos are third party/non-lego parts. They are great (provide a good offset between the front and rear wheel covers, making the rear wheels look "deeper") but perhaps not for the purists. You can send me a private message if you want to know where I get those wheels from, but note that I'm in no way affiliated with the seller. Neither can I guarantee the quality of the product nor seller's trustworthiness, so tread at your own risk.

Instruction here
The instructions booklet is 666-page long and contains 828 steps (talk about "Manifest" if you watch that show :D). You will find 11 modules and 10 assembly stages in between to combine the modules to form the final model. You can follow the instructions in the chronological order of the pages, or skip around, build all the modules first (in whichever order you like) and then follow the assembly steps, just like how real cars are built in the factory. Either way should bring you a enjoyable building experience. 

Thank you for reading this far. I hope you enjoy the write-up. Look forward to hearing your thoughts

More pics here (bricksafe)
Sneak peeks of my upcoming creations

Thank you for sharing your wonderful work with us here! You really got talent. I love how the proportions are absolutely spot on everywhere :wub: . Of course lot of honour goes to our loved comerade @jorgeopesi who´s version is a golden "oldtimer" already. A few gaps are still shining in the bodywork - perhaps you need to paint a few more of the 3x2 panels for that :wink: . What so many builders refuse to understand: attention to details is important. For example that minor curvature on the rear end is what makes your build so superior to the squarish style (like Helge Myhre :iamded_lol:) .

I need those wheels too - please post a link here if you don´t mind!

Amazing work! Jorgeopesi’s MOC is one of my favorites of all time, and it’s nice to see an update with new panels. This is going on my “to build” list for sure.

4 minutes ago, brunojj1 said:

If I am not mistaken, it’s these painted white:

https://www.yourwobb.com/products/diy-1-10-technic-wheel-hub-chrome-wheels?_pos=1&_sid=dbfd749c2&_ss=r&variant=39352787009692

You can probably find them anywhere else they sell altbrick stuff, if you have a preferred shop :wink: 

2 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

Thank you for sharing your wonderful work with us here! You really got talent. I love how the proportions are absolutely spot on everywhere :wub: . Of course lot of honour goes to our loved comerade @jorgeopesi who´s version is a golden "oldtimer" already. A few gaps are still shining in the bodywork - perhaps you need to paint a few more of the 3x2 panels for that :wink: . What so many builders refuse to understand: attention to details is important. For example that minor curvature on the rear end is what makes your build so superior to the squarish style (like Helge Myhre :iamded_lol:) .

@brunojj1 thank you for the kind words! It's my great honour hearing that from a true master like yourself. Haha I thought I could get away with those 2 red 3x2 panels (which were not painted, but red-taped :iamded_lol:, but of course no little detail can escape your keen eyes. I hope LEGO make them in red in the future, so I can release a "pimped" version to fix the gaps. Although I think somebody can technically build this in White or Black and have a crack. I know, sacrilegious colour choice for a F40 but...possible

2 hours ago, LvdH said:

Amazing work! Jorgeopesi’s MOC is one of my favorites of all time, and it’s nice to see an update with new panels. This is going on my “to build” list for sure.

If I am not mistaken, it’s these painted white:

https://www.yourwobb.com/products/diy-1-10-technic-wheel-hub-chrome-wheels?_pos=1&_sid=dbfd749c2&_ss=r&variant=39352787009692

You can probably find them anywhere else they sell altbrick stuff, if you have a preferred shop :wink: 

@LvdH Thanks! Again it's an honour that my model can join the rank of other fantastic creations in your collection. Look forward to your photos when the time comes :pir-cry_happy:. And yes, those are the wheels I used. They should be compatible with your custom printed wheel covers, too

8 minutes ago, BennyF said:

Awesome job! Do the Enzo next :wink:

@BennyF Thank you! Somebody already built an 1:8 Enzo with Sian parts and if I'm not wrong there's also a modified version of set 8653 in 1:10 scale, so I'll probably skip :wink:

22 minutes ago, jorgeopesi said:

So you are selling instructions of a MOD from my MOC, you have zero shame IMO.

Hi Jorge, Sorry if I didn’t make it clear and I dont want to be disrespectful to you and your creation. I admire your version but it’s also not my intention to copy somebody’s work and call it my own, let alone selling instructions for it. My conscience is clear in the sense that majority of the design is my own, everything which I borrowed have been stated and given the due credit. Comparing parts list will probably show the clear difference between the two models but I’m also more than happy to share the instruction with you for you to make your own assessment  

43 minutes ago, jorgeopesi said:

Jorge, with all the due respect: the builder named you and your creation which clearly served as a base for this build. He gave you the credit, as well as to Rudivik´s gearbox. In my humble opinion it´s much different than yours, although one can see where it comes from. Honestly, I think if you didn´t come up with a more modern version yourself, why prohibit anyone else doing the work and ask for a small fee for building instructions? I have hesitated to build your version till today because it represents the old era style which has its own charm obviously, but too many gaps for my personal taste. But I want to have this newer version on my shelf because I´m a Ferrari lover /diecast collector etc. Maybe you can tell better than anyone else: how much percentage of your original concept has been copied here 1:1, at least by your wild estimate?

Edited by brunojj1

Every little detail of that car that you use it cost to me hours and hours thinking, the mudguards, the trunk, the hood, we all can do whatever we want with Lego but I would never use a free MOC to create a MOD and gain money for it. Brunojj1 being a car builder I thought you will see all my work in that MOD more easy that others... I can not prohib it and I would not do it, I copied a real F40 too. Thank you for the offer Inteknik but I already do this car a lot of times, even being totally different inside something that everybody can do, the outside is almost the same with new pieces. Your conscience can be clear I have my right to think otherwise. 

10 minutes ago, jorgeopesi said:

Brunojj1 being a car builder I thought you will see all my work in that MOD more easy that others... 

I agree in general that copying others work and making profit of it is not OK at all. Yes, I can see your work as well as the work from the other builder. Where do we draw the line? I would say chopping the roof from a car to make it a Spider and adding new mudguards doesn´t build up a new creation, let it be 10% changes - it´s still shameless and criminal. But not the other way around when most parts of the model are different and 10% kept original. As I said - you can judge better than anybody else - so please check it and tell us how much of it is legit or not.

In the cancel culture nowadays one can observe a lot of radicalism and division. I hope it´s not the same here in the community. One can be purist and say all or nothing. One can keep the same attitude as 10 years ago. Or one can say Chinese bricks are all rubbish and nothing good comes from there. One can see everything black and white. It´s too easy & simplicistic IMO. We have still to stay fair and keep up moral values, I agree on that. 

Side note on selling instructions: nowadays not everybody is even willing to share his work, knowing that it will be highjacked soon and taken all profit from overseas. This Ferrari F40 will experience the same, no doubt. 

@jorgeopesi I am also not sure how to feel about this. It is clear Inteknik put quite a bit of work into this. And the resulting car does look pretty good.

But the entire side starting behind the doors all the way back to the bumper is amost completely copy-paste. The spoiler also looks pretty much unchanged. That is a bit lazy if nothing else.

I just don't undestand why a talented builder would do this? I myself would not be satisfied with my MOC if I hadn't built all by myself. Sure there are some places where there is only one solution that works, but i feel like the area around the rear wheel arch could  have looked better if it had been built differently using the new bricks available. Reusing buidling techniques from 8 years ago and then charging 15 bucks for the instructions? That is a 1:8 car pricetag on a 1:10 car that is maybe 75% your own :oh:

Edited by Gray Gear

8 minutes ago, Gray Gear said:

@jorgeopesi I am also not sure how to feel about this. It is clear Inteknik put quite a bit of work into this. And the resulting car does look pretty good.

But the entire side starting behind the doors all the way back to the bumper is amost completely copy-paste. The spoiler also looks pretty much unchanged. That is a bit lazy if nothing else.

I just don't undestand why a talented builder would do this? I myself would not be satisfied with my MOC if I hadn't built all by myself. Sure there are some places where there is only one solution that works, but i feel like the area around the rear wheel arch could  have looked better if it had been built differently using the new bricks available. Reusing buidling techniques from 8 years ago and then charging 15 bucks for the instructions? That is a 1:8 car pricetag on a 1:10 car that is maybe 75% your own :oh:

Thank you I thought I was missing my sight, I suppose that I have a minimalistic style and it is easy to add parts and change my MOCs but I can see very well the real old essence behind the parts added.

So after having looked into both instructions / partslists I can confirm there is not so much of similarity, other than admitted by the builder (shifter + gearbox). Front axle + rear axle + engine + seats + dashboard are entirely different, along with some major modifications in the bodywork. There is some DNA of the older variant obviously in the bodyworks´ main structure and the overall edges. And the credit for that must go to Jorge, no matter what. Maybe he will overcome the jealousy by shaking it off in the gym :damn: . He is a really strong guy, don´t mess with him :blush:!

I have not looked at the instructions, but am doing an intense side-by-side examination of the stills.  I agree with @brunojj1, and I believe some of the criticism is too harsh.  I also do not believe this is a MOD, but a new MOC. And kudos to @inteknik for giving proper credit.  

An alternative POV might be if someone goes back to redo a certain classic, and a similar solution for a look, mechanism, etc. is arrived at while TRYING to outdo it, come up with something new, etc., even with the luxury of additional time, new parts, etc. that might be considered evidence that the best solution was arrived at at the beginning!  In my mind, for the back end given the OP's diligence of trying to come up with new solutions (which we have ample evidence of) he still came up with something that borrowed some elements of Jorge's model to me that is evidence of the quality of Jorge's build.  So that is a good thing.  

Last point: when redoing a classic, b/c the classic obviously does not change there is BOUND to be some overlap, assuming that prior renditions were done with quality.  For example, if someone were to try and redo the McLaren P1, he/she is BOUND to mimic at least some solutions from @brunojj1's version of it, not because of laziness or b/c the want to "steal" anything but only because @brunojj1's version is of such high quality that he may have just stumbled (with tons of talent and hard work :classic:) upon the best possible solution for that mechanism, body area, etc.  Not for the whole car obviously, there is always for improvement, but with a limited system of parts (Lego) mathematically we have to accept that there are some sections, mechanisms, etc. that really there is a perfect combination of parts for.  And in time certain builders will come across such combinations.  People are allowed to "borrow" such solutions and can't always be accused of stealing, being lazy, etc., b/c we are working with a system of limited parts here...  

I don’t really understand the backlash either. It’s clearly NOT a blatant copy paste of Jorge’s F40, at least in terms of the bodywork. Yes it was inspired by it, but the builder gave him credit and did the right thing. If I was Jorge I would be proud that my MOC is so legendary that people are basing their MOCs off of it…

To OP, it’s stunning! Great job with the paneling, I love how it’s covered but not cluttered. That’s a hard line to walk.

Edited by sm1995

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. Perhaps the contention here is where we draw the line MOD vs MOC. I built this myself so below is the full transparency of what I took reference from Jorge's version. You can judge it for yourself, and the instruction is out so whoever has it (thank you) can verify what I've said. Note that by "referenced" below, I mean heavily modified. Only the concept is referenced, not copying the execution/usage of parts.

First, the chassis, which should be taken into account because without the chassis, the bodywork has nothing to latch on to
- Engine: NO reference
- Engine Bay Details: NO reference
- Gearbox: Modified Rudivdk's 5+R (given full credit)
- Shifter: Borrowed from original (given full credit)
- Rear Axle: NO reference
- Front Axle: NO reference
- Steering: NO reference
- Seats: NO reference
- Dashboard: NO reference
- Roof Support Structure: NO reference

The bodywork
- Entire Front Clam-shell (lights, bonnet, front wheel arches...): NO reference
- Side Skirts: NO reference
- Doors: NO reference
- Roof: NO reference
- Area behind doors: referenced (with key addition of a black line)
- Rear Clam-shell: referenced (partly, I'll explain)

I guess we all agree the main sticking point is the resemblance of the bodywork area from behind the doors to the rear bumper, so let's dissect a little
- Rear Bumper: Structure: referenced; Rear Fog Lights: referenced; Exhausts: NO reference
- Rear Clam-shell: C pillars: referenced; Area on the Side of Rear Lights: referenced; Rear Fenders: referenced; Spoiler: referenced;
Support Structure: NO reference; Area below Spoiler: NO reference; Rear Lights: NO reference; Rear Grille: NO reference; Support Rod: NO reference

I can safely say less than 50% (way less) of the entire car are borrowed solutions. Calling it a MOD is unfair, wouldn't you say? I have presented the facts, if you still arrive at the same conclusion that it's a MOD, that's your prerogative.

Regarding the instructions price,

10 hours ago, Gray Gear said:

That is a 1:8 car pricetag on a 1:10 car that is maybe 75% your own :oh:

let's not just use scale as a factor. I tend to think it's the complexity of the build that matters. This MOC is densely built and contains almost 2,600 parts, that's Porsche GT3RS region (1:8 scale), and 1,000 parts more than 488 Ferrari set (1:10 scale). You can say this MOC probably has more pins, but actually the Porsche has around 200 more pins (all types combined) compared to this. I charge a price that's fair for my effort of making instruction. It's up to the buyers to decide whether it's worth it. Sure, there are 1:8 MOCs out there that are cheaper, but no one is stopping the buyers from buying them instead of my MOC. Jorge's version is free, too (thank you for the generosity). If my version is just a 1:1 copy/replica of his, I think no one in the right mind will purchase my instructions.

6 hours ago, sm1995 said:

To OP, it’s stunning! Great job with the paneling, I love how it’s covered but not cluttered. That’s a hard line to walk.

Thank you! Yes, filling the gaps is not something I take lightly. It's really hard to come up with gapless solution without making it look like a mess with all sorts of parts combined.

On 1/20/2022 at 10:05 AM, jorgeopesi said:

So you are selling instructions of a MOD from my MOC, you have zero shame IMO.

Have to agree with you. When I first seen this, it was instantly recognizable as your model from some years back. It seems that very few builders are original anymore while most of them just use other builder's ideas and work to make a buck. :thumbdown:

If I were to post this, I personally would not have called this a new MOC because it just seems way too similar in a lot of areas, particularly the rear end and engine cover but also the front bumper and side skirts. I also would have offered the instructions for free simply because the original one was also free. Of course there are only so many ways to create the same car or the same curves, so naturally things will just look similar. 

Anyway, I have the original Jorgeopesi F40 built at the moment. If I don’t need to reuse most of the parts I’ll keep it in tact for when I build this one to compare both versions. If I remember correctly the Jorgeopesi F40 was mostly modular, with each body panel easily removable so it shouldn’t be difficult to actually compare the two side by side, even parts buried deep inside the chassis.

Edited by LvdH

12 minutes ago, Meatman said:

Have to agree with you. When I first seen this, it was instantly recognizable as your model from some years back. It seems that very few builders are original anymore while most of them just use other builder's ideas and work to make a buck. :thumbdown:

Com'on guys.  Lets end this take.  Such a poor analysis of the build.  One cannot simply look at the model, one needs to analyze it.  Look at the parts, instructions, etc.   Compare parts used, etc.  OP has proved his point, provided this analysis, and takes like the above simply are falling short.  

2 minutes ago, LvdH said:

If I were to post this, I personally would not have called this a new MOC because it just seems way too similar in a lot of areas, particularly the rear end and engine cover but also the front bumper and side skirts. I also would have offered the instructions for free simply because the original one was also free. Of course there are only so many ways to create the same car or the same curves, so naturally things will just look similar. 

Anyway, I have the original Jorgeopesi F40 built at the moment. If I don’t need to reuse most of the parts I’ll keep it in tact for when I build this one to compare both versions. If I remember correctly the Jorgeopesi F40 was mostly modular, with each body panel easily removable so it shouldn’t be difficult to actually compare the two side by side, even parts buried deep inside the chassis.

@brunojj1compared the parts list and the instructions.  See his comments above.  He determined there is not much similarity other than what the OP already gave credit for.....

10 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

@brunojj1compared the parts list and the instructions.  See his comments above.  He determined there is not much similarity other than what the OP already gave credit for.....

I never had the ambition to be the judge here. Simply wanted to restore peace among the parties because some of them behave like in puberty. Nobody from the higher ranks & moderators say anything, that´s poor. Keep it all clean and send us into intellectual Gulag. Then shut it all down because the party is going on somewhere else.

1 minute ago, brunojj1 said:

I never had the ambition to be the judge here. Simply wanted to restore peace among the parties because some of them behave like in puberty. Nobody from the higher ranks & moderators say anything, that´s poor. Keep it all clean and send us into intellectual Gulag. Then shut it all down because the party is going on somewhere else.

Yea and sorry I did not mean to offer you as tribute.  I will bow out of this discussion for now.  The squabble all sounds somewhat silly to me and shooting from the hip type of reactivity.  As mentioned in the OP's last post, clearly this is a very different build than Jorge's original. But I suppose every one is entitled to their own evaluation of the two builds.  I just hope folks actually evaluate the two before sounding off, instead of just looking at them.... 

26 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

brunojj1compared the parts list and the instructions.  See his comments above.  He determined there is not much similarity other than what the OP already gave credit for.....

I’m well aware. But the instructions are not available to download by anyone without paying for them, so I can’t blame people for saying they’re too similar. The parts list only has like 50% similarity, which mostly comes from the new panels and more system parts. 

Anyway what I was trying to say is it would be far easier to see the differences (or similarities) if the builds were to be shown side by side in actual LEGO bricks. I don’t even think I will give a “verdict”, I’ll just let the pictures do the talking and have everyone conclude their own opinion. But this is going to be a while so I don’t know how alive the topic will be by then...

32 minutes ago, LvdH said:

I’m well aware. But the instructions are not available to download by anyone without paying for them, so I can’t blame people for saying they’re too similar. The parts list only has like 50% similarity, which mostly comes from the new panels and more system parts. 

Anyway what I was trying to say is it would be far easier to see the differences (or similarities) if the builds were to be shown side by side in actual LEGO bricks. I don’t even think I will give a “verdict”, I’ll just let the pictures do the talking and have everyone conclude their own opinion. But this is going to be a while so I don’t know how alive the topic will be by then...

Fair point, and thank you for offering to take some pictures for comparison sake. I hear you, if the instruction paywall is something that prevents ppl from seeing the difference, then I think I may have solutions for this:

1. The bricksafe gallery link in my original post contains renders of all the 11 modules of the car. You can compare them to instructions of Jorge’s version and draw your own conclusion 

2. I’ll even go one step further and do something that you may think is excessive, but I hate to have my reputation tainted: I’ll share the 3D module or .io file for FREE. Everyone, please have your own analysis before commenting. If you think that I have done my due, and want to support my work, feel free to buy the instructions. I’m not making instructions for profit, it’s a hobby for me, for what it’s worth instructions proceed help fund my parts purchase to continue working on new models. I have spent many hours working on the instruction, making it as easy to build as possible so yeah instructions will NOT be free. If you want to use the 3D model to build my version, be my guest. I don’t care if some Chinese brands make copies of my model and sell them, either. 

Just give me some time to clean up the .io file, it will be included as a link on rebrickable page soon

I'm not a Technic builder, so I don't have a truly informed opinion about how @Inteknik's F40 compares to @jorgeopesi's version ... but judging from what's been posted in this thread about the similarities and differences between the two models, I think the OP's 2022 model bears about  as much resemblance to Jorgeopesi's 2014 model as, say, the 2021 X-wing Fighter set bears to the 2012 X-wing Fighter set.   They both treat the same source material at the same scale using the same building system.  They share just one major design element (the shifter mechanism for the F40s, the nose taper geometry for the X-wings), but in every other respect the build is completely different except for the inevitable similarities from using the same system to build the same thing at the same scale.  Inteknik has done a great job with his MOC and it's demeaning to call it shameful profiteering off another person's work.  Here's another analogy: the 1965 Ford Mustang and the 1965 Ford Falcon shared the same platform and the same engine, but they were emphatically not the same car.  Same thing here: Inteknik's model shares the same shifter mechanism as Jorgeopesi's model, but that doesn't mean it's just Jorgeopesi's model with improved paneling.  So, kudos to Inteknik for a great model, for explaining in detail which attributes are inspired by other models and which are not, and for sharing the Studio file.

But, like I said, I'm not a Technic builder and I don't really know all that much about cars, so feel free to completely ignore my two cents ....