Sign in to follow this  
Phoxtane

[MOC] Rock Raiders Screw Transport

I finally stretched my creative muscles (and pulled something) and came up with a Rock Raiders MOC. I call it the Screw Transport:

800x533.JPG

800x533.JPG

800x533.JPG

800x533.JPG

800x533.JPG

Before further discussion, I should give credit where it's due - the physical build and wonderful photos were done by R.R. Slugger (aka "Rama") from the Manic Miners Discord server (we'll talk about Manic Miners in a moment). Rama's channel can be found at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrEgeV8lfHGFIaZCevQ7TBQ/videos

Without their help this MOC wouldn't be nearly as good looking - they take very good pictures and are probably more handsome than me to boot.

The idea for this MOC came from real-life screw-propelled vehicles, mostly the Soviet-era ZiL 29061 (below). I wanted to keep the model's feel in line with the original sets, so I designed with parts and colors available in 1999. That predates just about every wedge plate I could think of which really slowed my roll on getting fun shapes in there. 

Screw Propelled Vehicles – ZiL 29061

My original model was done in Stud.io and rendered out into the images below (spoilered for length's sake). Apparently the model was so interesting Rama decided to try it in real life! Some very minor tweaks were applied to allow the bucket to rotate fully, as well as reinforcement in critical areas and including the signature chrome grille tiles from the Rock Raiders line. The rendered images don't reflect these changes.

800x450.png

800x450.png

800x450.png

Finally, Manic Miners. To sum it up, it's a free fan remake from the ground up of the Lego Rock Raiders PC game, being taken on by Baraklava. A robust level editor is included and I can say with certainty that it crashes a lot less than the original game ever did. Just don't turn on the random crashes option at the end of level - try it out before you commit hours to a level like I did... https://manicminers.baraklava.com/ (Should mention, I'm not affiliated with the project in any official way apart from liking it a lot)

Nice build. It fits the feel of Rock Raiders, and it entirely plausible. I like the inspiration from the Soviet era boat. That's a crazy idea in itself.

Oh that's quite clever! It definitely feels like it could fit right in with the Rock Raiders theme, like the 1999 sets or the vehicles from the computer game.

@Phoxtane A weird vehicle, based on a real one. Great work and it does fit the aesthetics of the original theme, it would also fit in the game with those other vehicles what @Lyichir said, well done.