johnnym

42093 scale cars with swappable engine - NEW ADDITIONS!

I like the shape of this car very much and I especially love the studded hood, which is a refreshing view among all the studless builds nowadays. I only think that the LBG parts would be better in white, but this ain't bad either.

8 minutes ago, The01 said:

I like the shape of this car very much and I especially love the studded hood, which is a refreshing view among all the studless builds nowadays.

Thanks, I originally wanted to use some big tiles there, but don't have the parts yet. But indeed, the studded surface doesn't look bad at all.

8 minutes ago, The01 said:

I only think that the LBG parts would be better in white, but this ain't bad either.

Yeah, I think I missed quite a few of the LBG parts in white, so went for LBG instead. If we would only have black wheel arches, that would work even better for police cars, but then I still would have missed the parts for the middle part of the car in white.

Wow, this car looks really cool! I always love how new (yeah, really not so but still they are ones of relatively new rather old parts) wheel arch parts shape into the whole car body, and your car is a perfect example of how fine it happens. Besides all the great things you did here :thumbup:

Thanks a lot! Glad you like it. :classic: And I fully agree, those fender pieces really did add a lot to small TECHNIC cars. I didn't want to miss them.

13 hours ago, johnnym said:

MM Hammond Executive as police interceptor

There is something about its shape ... from a distance, it looks absolutely fantastic !!

Closeup is a bit lacking. It is difficult to get more refinement at this scale.

Really cool model. Thanks for sharing it.

Edited by iLego

7 hours ago, iLego said:

There is something about its shape ... from a distance, it looks absolutely fantastic !!

Thanks! Well, the Crown Vic was a great model to design after, it's just THE police car. :sweet: The HamEx is not the same, but close enough to see its "heritage".

7 hours ago, iLego said:

Closeup is a bit lacking. It is difficult to get more refinement at this scale.

Indeed, I wished for some less thick parts (at least for the trunk lid). I figured this could be done with System parts but I don't have suitable ones. But I might be able to put the lid down half a stud maybe with some tinkering. It could have been more detailed in the scale of my Turbo Racers, but it's 42093 scale, so...

What would you improve other than the trunk lid?

4 hours ago, TechnicRCRacer said:

I think it looks great! For the hood, to make it look nicer, could you replace the 6x10 plate with a 6x6 tile and two 2x6 tiles?

Thanks! About the hood, yeah, that was my original idea, but I don't have those tiles, yet, and hence stayed with the plates. There's still a hole at the front of the bonnet that I wasn't able to close yet, as the plates are placed at half stud into/onto the beams around the cut-out.

On 3/12/2022 at 6:57 PM, Thirdwigg said:

I love the retro roadster look of this latest car, and the blue looks great.

Thanks a lot! Although the blue color was "imposed" to me by the 42098 set (or better its blue car sub-set), I find the color combination really nice. Those designers do a really good job in finding color combinations that work well together.

On 3/12/2022 at 6:57 PM, Thirdwigg said:

Keep these coming @johnnym

I'd like to, but with 42106 also getting an alternate model from me, I think there are not many options left. The current 42093 scale pull-back cars are not equipped for these kinds of mods I'm afraid. I hope for a "real" successsor for either 42093 or 42123 or the 42098 blue car and maybe also for the 42106 set which combined both worlds. So maybe I start from the beginning and create another alternate model for 42123, though I really don't like to pull my own models apart. :cry_sad:

I really dig this police interceptor. It has few things I could pick on, but overall it's pretty cool with various neat building techniques.

I don't like the studded plate on the hood and the front could be slightly better, but apart from it, it's just some blue pins showing in various spots.

On 3/14/2022 at 1:31 PM, SaperPL said:

I really dig this police interceptor. It has few things I could pick on

Tell me more, I'm listening... :excited:

, but overall it's pretty cool with various neat building techniques.

I don't like the studded plate on the hood and the front could be slightly better, but apart from it, it's just some blue pins showing in various spots.

Thanks! Yeah, the plates were actually meant as placeholders until I can procure some tiles, but I started to liike the plates (like @The01) in the meantime and they allow to fit some scoops or bulges on top.

What would you improve at the front, because I actually consider the rear end its "problem"?

Edited by johnnym

3 hours ago, johnnym said:

Tell me more, I'm listening... :excited:

I wrote it right after this xD

I actually think that last car shows promise, just wonder why the rims are spokes out on the driver side and spokes in on the passenger side, lol.

I do like how well it turned out though, especially at that scale.

1 hour ago, SaperPL said:

I wrote it right after this xD

I see. :classic:

1 hour ago, Johnny1360 said:

I actually think that last car shows promise, just wonder why the rims are spokes out on the driver side and spokes in on the passenger side, lol.

I usually do that when I'm unsure, what looks better. This way I can have both looks "at the same time" basically when gazing at the model and evaluating its look. ATM I favorize black rims with the non-spoked side facing outwards (not shown here yet).

1 hour ago, Johnny1360 said:

I do like how well it turned out though, especially at that scale.

Thank you.

I have two new models for this series - one already available since a while on Rebrickable for purchase - both are again alternate models of 42123 and 42093 respectively and feature swappable engines:

AMX 5 experimental

The AMX 5 experimental is a concept car that should develop the AMX 4's design into the future. It's extra low but still roomy enough to have some additonal passenger seating making it a 2+2 instead of a two-seater like the AMX 4. It features three openable doors: two gullwing doors and the engine cover with big "glass window" plus third break light like the AMX 4. The fenders are put on a half-stud offset to be closer to the wheels (like 42123 does), the quarter panels expose the rear wheels nicely. It features a Biturbo I3 engine in a symmetric design.

functionality-2.jpgadditional-views-2.jpg

functionality-4.jpg

details-1.jpgdetails-2.jpg

i3-installed.jpg

Unfortunately I wasn't able to fit any of the existing engines in this car thanks to its low silhouette and cramped engine room, so I created two additional engines:

...that fit into this car and all the other ones:

amx-5-experimental-w-i4.jpgamx-5-experimental-w-v6.jpg

You can view and move these around in 3D using the 3D Instruction Viewer on Rebrickable (i4, V6).

MM B-Runner

This one should be a no-nonsense car by MM (Mars Motors) famed by its buyers and aftermarket for its tunability. It also has three openable doors: two conventional ones that incline to the rear giving the car some hips and the engine cover. The fenders are also put at a half-stud offset closer to the wheels, the quarter panel has the standard 1 stud offset. Together with the door construction this makes it visually look like the rear is lifted a little giving it a nice look in my eyes. It uses a standard turbocharged I4 as engine. Front and rear corners are not perfectly secured - I mainly ran out of parts and space - so excessive force will move them (a little). The chassis is derived from the attaccabrighe's chassis.

For the pictures I removed the steering knob and also installed wider wheels at the rear for the looks, some parts are in the wrong color still but everything should be buildable from the inventory of 42093 - hopefully, as I haven't yet digitized it:

01.jpg02.jpg

03.jpg

04.jpg08.jpg

05.jpg06.jpg

07.jpg

Edited by johnnym
typos

4 hours ago, johnnym said:

functionality-4.jpg

Ahhh, that front... Man, you made Audi Quattro! Just a few more pieces for foglights (racing lights, actually) and more flat front splitter instead of curved, and a four-rings (thanks to four blue 3L pins :laugh:) B-category rally monster is here!

E_LT77MXMAMGnO4.jpg

Edited by Void_S
Added an image

Really? I think it looks totally different, i.e. too round for the boxy style of the Quattro, though the body style matches. Actually I never thought about the Quattro when developing it - but yeah, that's just how I see this model :classic:.

I mean I have one in my portfolio that comes close to the Quattro - though I like the Sport quattro more -  it's the F A H R super R:

800x600.jpg800x600.jpg

...but that's a totally different league: selectable RWD/AWD, RC Buggy motor for drive powered by a BuWizz 2.0 unit, more info here.

Just had another thought: You know, it would be really cool to have such cars - i.e. cars from the 80ies - again! :sweet: