Ayrlego

[MOC] North Western Frontier

To ease his new troop into the western routine, 1st Lieutenant Dirk Allcock’s troop has been assigned a patrol high up in the Blocky Mountain ranges to the North West of Fort Legoredo. The frontier here is relatively peaceful, although life is still hard for the pioneers who populate the wilderness. Allcock rides ahead of his troop to talk to locals along a mountain track.

51828483217_3bce05c58d_c.jpg

51830162360_508bda4567_c.jpg

I'm taking a bit of a break from building pirate/imperial themed builds for a while and am planning on some western builds, inspired by @evancelt's recent efforts in that genre. This the the first, I have similar 'Western' and 'South Western' frontier builds planned to match this one. I may also try some smaller supporting scenes... I guess I'll see where I go from here...

Yellow scarf is a standard Lego white scarf that has been desecrated painted with spray paint. Repeating rifle and cap-lock musket are Brickarms.

Nice job! The cabin turned out wonderfully, and all of the different textures and mix of reddish-brown and dark brown really take it up a notch. Fun inclusion of the eagle!

I like the vegetation details like the log poking out of the brush on the right. While the 6x5 leaf pieces are clunkier than 3741 or the pin version of the stem, they work really well for evergreens here. That is a large tree in the background! The seaweed bush looks quite prickly and I think minifigs of the Blocky Mountains would avoid running into those!

The yellow neckerchief really pops! Was it hard to find a yellow that matched the head pretty closely?

Beautiful diorama! The wooden house with the porch, the trees, everything looks great!

Excellent build. The cabin is wonderful. Does it have an interior? Not required, but would be really cool to see if it did. I will echo the other statements and commend you for your tree design too.

Beautiful. The colorscheme is perfect. The foliage is neat and the details, such as a fallen log and low shrubs make it look alive. My only complaint would be the yellow faces. They look odd in this natural colored environment. It's more obvious on the close-up photo with the yellow bandana. 

Thank you all for the comments!

On 1/20/2022 at 1:54 AM, evancelt said:

The yellow neckerchief really pops! Was it hard to find a yellow that matched the head pretty closely? 

Thanks Evan! As I mentioned elsewhere, the yellow doesn't really match very closely IRL. The colour on the can is 'Lemon Yellow' and it falls somewhere between bright light yellow and normal yellow. I had a closer matching yellow, but went with the lighter option to try and distinguish between the yellow 'skin' and neckerchief.

On 1/21/2022 at 12:42 AM, Feuer Zug said:

Excellent build. The cabin is wonderful. Does it have an interior? Not required, but would be really cool to see if it did. I will echo the other statements and commend you for your tree design too.

Thanks! I actually built this one so that I could put an interior in (very rare for me!). However, I only did the inside of the fire place and ended up leaving the rest bare. I've saved the cabin itself to recycle into a future Brethren of the Brick Seas build, so there is still a chance I may do one... :pir-laugh:

On 1/21/2022 at 6:36 AM, Redhead1982 said:

My only complaint would be the yellow faces. They look odd in this natural colored environment. It's more obvious on the close-up photo with the yellow bandana. 

Thank you. I debated whether or not to use fleshies or yellow... in the end I'm not sure why I went with yellow but I admit to almost instantly regretting it after I took the photos!!

Wonderful build, Ayrlego, you really caught the wilderness atmosphere here. Nice details, especially the trees and planting. Also your porch looks wonderfully detailed. 😃👍

I agree with you that Brickarms has nice detailed bits to use with these mocs. 🫡👍