zinnn

Which animal you'd like to see re-moulded?

For me it'd be the bat piece, it's old as hell and looks a bit cartoonish compared to some of the recent animal moulds.

lego-bat-30103-90394-32.jpg

Octopus 🐙

The current unprinted parrot 🦜 has also been left behind by the other birds we have (especially the new toucan)

1 minute ago, williejm said:

Octopus 🐙

tbh the Kraken octopus is pretty awesome, but I'd like to see a new one, smaller in size

7 minutes ago, zinnn said:

tbh the Kraken octopus is pretty awesome, but I'd like to see a new one, smaller in size

I agree it’s awesome, just think it doesn’t ‘go’ well with other updated critters now 🐬🦈

I would like to be able to get through replacement parts the following: Camels, sheep, cows, chickens, dogs, cats. Some of these items are very expensive because of rarity. It makes Chinese counterfeit parts seem very desirable. I would prefer LEGO!

Edited by 1963maniac

- Camel

- Ostrich

- Octopus 

- Frog

- Bat

- Moneky (from Wildlife Rescue)

- Elephant (from Wildlife Rescue) 

- Velcriraptor 

49 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

- Frog

- Moneky

agree with those two

the new monkey is such a weak design, I still like the og one way more

15 minutes ago, zinnn said:

agree with those two

the new monkey is such a weak design, I still like the og one way more

I really like the new monkey, I don’t think it’s supposed to be replacing the original oversized one. Interesting to see if we might get a chimp too, as I think the ‘old monkey’ was a rather generic mash-up

1 hour ago, williejm said:

I really like the new monkey, I don’t think it’s supposed to be replacing the original oversized one. Interesting to see if we might get a chimp too, as I think the ‘old monkey’ was a rather generic mash-up

Fiar point! But i wish the new monkey could hold a poop piece - more fun! I don’t mind if it’s not possible but i don’t like that fact it can’t hold a poop piece, just a teeny weeny issue. 

44 minutes ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Fiar point! But i wish the new monkey could hold a poop piece - more fun! I don’t mind if it’s not possible but i don’t like that fact it can’t hold a poop piece, just a teeny weeny issue. 

It can hold it if you put the poop on an ice cream cone 😜

23 minutes ago, williejm said:

It can hold it if you put the poop on an ice cream cone 😜

GROSS!

1 minute ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

GROSS!

Check out set 60328 - that chocolate ice cream looks familiar …

11 minutes ago, williejm said:

Check out set 60328 - that chocolate ice cream looks familiar …

:laugh: haha but you know the way I imagine instead of looking at the set :pir-cry_happy:

Nice topic idea!

I agree with some of the above suggestions. As much nostalgia as I have for them, some older animal molds such as the bat, frog, and octopus have certainly become a bit dated. Updated versions of these, like a frog that could have printed eyes or an octopus with at least some of its arms articulated would not hurt.

Another older critter design that comes to mind is the scorpion. The classic scorpion can make for great architectural detailing, but as an actual animal it leaves much to be desired—no legs, barely a face... compared to things like the redesigned spider it feels sorely out of date.

In terms of newer creatures, an updated cow could be nice (since the udders on the original unnecessarily gender it). And a dedicated Dalmatian piece for the City theme could be nice, since the printed versions of other breeds that they've done have never looked quite right. If they ever do another theme that could use a camel, it could probably benefit from a mold that at least gives it neck articulation, if nothing else.

And of course I'd be remiss not to mention the short-lived goat. A redesign for that is essential to bringing it back, since the old mold did not last. If they did a newer one it could be cool if instead of molded horns it had ones that could be removed like the cow, so that you could customize it with different types of horns depending on what sort of goat you wanted to represent.

Hmm… on a basic level, I would love for animals like the frog, snake, crab, parrot, and bat to be updated with printed eyes — making them more consistent not only with minifigures, but with newer animal molds like the sea turtle, lobster, hermit crab, songbird, and rat. The frog and bat in particular could also do with sharper and more clearly defined contours instead of curves, as with the updated LEGO rat, owl, and kitten molds.

The snake, conversely, could benefit from a smoother design (since the scaly texture can be inconvenient when clipping them onto other parts) and a more generic tail shape instead of the rattlesnake rattle which was very particular to its original use in the 1990s Western/Wild West sets. The larger snake mold from recent Harry Potter and City Wildlife Rescue sets is a good example of the level of detail I would prefer, albeit at a smaller size that's less specific to massive species like anacondas and pythons.

While the LEGO parrot mold's shape has already been modernized pretty nicely, it would be nice if an updated version of the LEGO parrot utilized the multi-stage molding process used for a lot of other recent animal molds. This would allow for varied color combinations without either the murky-looking marbling of the current co-injected parrots or the unprinted front surface of the classic printed parrots.

For the Friends and Disney themes, I also think that it would be a great boon to have a separate frog mold that is slightly larger, with more clearly defined legs and detailed cartoon eyes. Not only would that feel less "lifeless" next to mini-dolls and other mini-doll style animals, but it'd allow LEGO to convincingly depict the enchanted versions of Tiana and Prince Naveen from The Princess and the Frog as actual CHARACTERS, rather than just generic animals.

It'd also be nice to see a new baby dragon mold that could be used the Castle, Ninjago, and Minifigures themes — something more generic than the elaborate Norbert mold that was specifically designed for the Harry Potter theme in the early 2000s and subsequently repurposed in other themes.

And while dinosaurs aren't a particular passion of mine, there are a LOT of prehistoric species from sets of the early 2000s that have not yet been redesigned to meet more modern standards — like Stegosaurus, Spinosaurus, Iguanodon, Diplodocus, Parasaurolophus, Mosasaurus, Plesiosaurus, Dimetrodon, etc.

I suspect some of these could be made with a combination of new molds and existing creature molds from the Jurassic World or Raya and the Last Dragon sets, while others might require new molds for the entirety of their design. But all in all, I feel like the chances are good that LEGO will get around to at least some of these before too long, considering how many new species have been introduced to the Jurassic World theme in recent years.

On 1/17/2022 at 7:18 AM, zinnn said:

There is a smaller octopus in the marine life accessories pack from the LEGO Friends Sea Life Rescue sets (more detailed picture here), though I'm not sure if you had a more intermediate size or a different level of detail in mind.

For my part, I love the classic LEGO octopus, and I feel like it already has a pretty comfortable balance between curves and sharper contours, not unlike modern LEGO animals like the current horse, dog, and lion molds. That said, I wouldn't mind if future appearances of it in sets came with printed 1x1 round tiles to give it more detailed eyes like those of other creatures its size.

On 1/17/2022 at 10:12 AM, williejm said:

I don't know if the new monkey is strictly meant to replace the old one, but I largely prefer it in terms of size and level of detail. If LEGO does decide to reintroduce larger, posable monkeys in future sets, I hope they will at least use a new design with a printed face.

There also already exists a chimpanzee mold that accompanied the Minifigures Series 5 Zookeeper and Series 7 Jungle Boy (with an alternate face print introduced via Build-A-Minifigure stations at LEGO stores in 2018), but it hasn't appeared in any sets since then.

On 1/17/2022 at 1:03 PM, Lyichir said:

In terms of newer creatures, an updated cow could be nice (since the udders on the original unnecessarily gender it). And a dedicated Dalmatian piece for the City theme could be nice, since the printed versions of other breeds that they've done have never looked quite right. If they ever do another theme that could use a camel, it could probably benefit from a mold that at least gives it neck articulation, if nothing else.

Yeah, it bewilders me that the wildly inaccurate German Shepherd mold is still being used for them in this year's City sets. They are in serious need of a new mold, ideally one that can also be used with different colors and printing to represent other dog breeds with similar features (medium height, short hair, long tail, droopy ears) like the English Pointer.

I know a lot of folks are also eager for LEGO to introduce a new goat mold, and I expect LEGO will get around to that in a matter of time. For my part, I am hoping the next goat mold were actually an updated design with removable horns like the cow mold instead of just a copy of the previous design from 2011. That way, it could more easily be used for a wider range of goat breeds and species.

I'm not too picky about whether the cow itself gets a new mold, though you're right that one without molded udders (or with removable udders) might be a bit of an improvement. However, I would love to see a separate calf mold, as well as other "juvenile" versions of existing LEGO animals: bear cubs, puppies, piglets, chicks (though perhaps a recolor of the songbird would be close enough to serve that purpose), fawns/reindeer calves, shark pups, dolphin calves, etc.

I suppose since these would be entirely new molds rather than ones I want to see redesigned or replaced, they're somewhat outside of what this topic is asking about, although technically puppy, fawn, and reindeer calf molds do currently exist in the Friends and Disney themes.

I'd love to see more variants of the husky mould with different painting / colors.

Also the return of the big beak parrot mould in some more single-moulded colors but then painted for some sitting falcon, hawk or parrot/parakeet, lego prints a lot of owls but not parrots, and 1989 parrots had printing possible.

I think the latest use of dark red octopus was fine, just would love to see it used again, maybe a printed version, or glow in the dark, or camouflage colors, but the shape might be too complex to print properly, dual moulded marble colors might work, overall a pretty complex LEGO piece that needs to be flexible, yet not too brittle.

Edited by TeriXeri

31 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

I'd love to see more variants of the husky mould with different painting / colors.

Also the return of the big beak parrot mould in some more single-moulded colors but then painted for some sitting falcon, hawk or parrot/parakeet, lego prints a lot of owls but not parrots, and 1989 parrots had printing possible.

I think the latest use of dark red octopus was fine, just would love to see it used again, maybe a printed version, or glow in the dark, or camouflage colors, but the shape might be too complex to print properly, dual moulded marble colors might work, overall a pretty complex LEGO piece that needs to be flexible, yet not too brittle.

Yeah - like why no Samoyed, or Shiba Inu from that husky mould?

I do have the marbled GITD version of the octopus, that is a great version. 

12 hours ago, koalayummies said:

Any of the ones I and many others missed out on. Goat, ostrich, whatever. And I agree the classic parrot mould is looking a bit outdated now.

Transparent blue octopus goes for minimum $50 :sick:

Between the goats I have and that, looks like I can make some bank :laugh:

I would love a new goat, more dogs (Corgi please) and a llama printed with standard eyes over the cute friends ones.

Also, it would be nice to get them in affordable sets!

21 hours ago, Kalahari134 said:

Never mind new designs, I'd just like a tiger that doesn't necessitate a second mortgage. 

You know they’re endangered, right?

Hey folks. The City theme will have Farm sets and….we will have CALF, PIGLET, and LAMB!! Along with cow, pig, and sheep in a single set, according to Stonewars. 

Now, I would like to hear your opinion - do you think a cow would be updated?

Edited by DBlegonerd7

17 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Hey folks. The City theme will have Farm sets and….we will have CALF, PIGLET, and LAMB!! Along with cow, pig, and sheep in a single set, according to Stonewars. 

where is that info from? any photos?