Sign in to follow this  
Khorne

[OL - TROOP] Armée de l'Orient, Jiangkai

51824176729_febc580cfe_c.jpg

After the incorporation of the Jiangkai territory into the Oléonese empire, the government was eagerly looking for measures to uphold the security of its newly acquired territory and defend it from the prying hands of the defeated Lotus Empire. The regular army of Oléon already stretched thin throughout multiple campaigns and theaters of war, the administration was quick to grant the permission to levy locally raised forces, consisting of Lotii colonials pledging their loyalty to the Kingdom of Light.

Proud to now be part of a modern, mighty Madrician Empire that had defeated their Lotii masters, a plethora of Jiangkai colonials was excited to don the blue uniform of Oléon and defend their homes from their former overlords. Easily recognizable by the black metal jingasa hat and wide, short pantaloons these men wear, they now patrol the streets of Jiangkai to ensure the safety of its citizens and keep roving bands of Lotii soldiers out.

However, they are not the only ones found patrolling the streets of Oléon's 'Pearl of the East'. Small groups of youngsters in Madrician dress roam around as well, katana in hand - members of Jiangkai's 'Blue Dragon Society', or the Young Swordsmen. These are young noblemen and sword masters, having studied at famous sword schools paid for by their rich families. Their are the progeny of Jiangkai's pro-Western nobility who have brokered the deal between Jiangkai and Oléon, pledging the city's allegiance to Oléon and renouncing the Lotus Empire. They see the Lotus Empire as outdated, stuck in the old ways of nepotism and backwardness and believe modernization is the key for increased strength. During Lotus rule in Jiangkai, they were minor nobles whose voices were silenced by the traditionalist aristocracy, but the events of the war on El Oleonda turned their fortune around. Now they have ousted most of the old ruling class and steer Jiangkai towards a modern and stronger future, under the watchful eye and guidance of Oléon. The true purpose of the River Dragon Society is still somewhat clouded, save for the truly initiated. Some claim they want to "free" the other Lotii colonies on El Oleonda and mould them according to their own vision, merging Madrician modernity with Lotii culture and traditions and form their own nation. For now, however, their goals seem to align with those of Oléonese interests.

The strive for modernization and westernization proposed by the River Dragon Society should not be mistaken for neglect of the own culture. The Society is virulently anti-Faith and sees its encroachment in Jiangkai as a contamination of pure Lotii culture, which they seek to prevent. Lotii culture should be kept and respected, yet strengthened with modern technology and insights. This curious clash of ideas also manifests in the streets of Jiangkai were people wearing traditional clothes are seen alongside others wearing Madrician dress. Where modern troops march past beggar monks, seeking to achieve enlightenment - just like the Nirvan Emmet once did - living solely on what passersby gift them.

Extra top shot:

Spoiler

51823836486_4757263319_c.jpg

Way more text than there is an actual build :laugh:. In any case, this serves as a Troop Raise for Jiangkai.

Great story! It is a good decision not to oppress Lotus colonials but to help and involve them. As for the build, I like the minifigure choices and movement. The "Eslandola" sack is well positioned. :pir-grin:

4 minutes ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Why do these guys walk on bare feet?

:pir-grin:

Our perhaps yellow boots! EDIT: Just read the military entry and see they are short pantaloons.

Nice story Khorne! I like the yellows in the wall and the troop design :thumbup: And the vegetation peeking out from behind the build trick never disappoints!

Edited by evancelt

3 hours ago, NOD said:

Great story! It is a good decision not to oppress Lotus colonials but to help and involve them. As for the build, I like the minifigure choices and movement. The "Eslandola" sack is well positioned. :pir-grin:

Oléon welcomes all who pledge their loyalty to the crown with open arms. No need to oppress those who seek Oléonese protection willingly. Also, there is no oppression in the Kingdom of Light.

I can assure you: the sack is 100% Oléonese-made. No Eslandolan imports here :pir-grin:.

38 minutes ago, Captain Braunsfeld said:

Interesting new troops. I saw them on flickr first and keep asking myself: Why do these guys walk on bare feet?

:pir-grin:

36 minutes ago, evancelt said:

Our perhaps yellow boots! EDIT: Just read the military entry and see they are short pantaloons.

To clarify the bare feet: these are inspired by a mashup of several different types of 18th/early 19th (South East) Asian colonial infantry. I found it interesting that on many pictures or drawings I found, the soldiers were often bare feet, so I decided to keep that characteristic to set them apart from "regular western" infantry.

So yes, they are definitely meant to be shorts like @evancelt already said.

Check some inspiration below. The images on the right were used for the tirailleurs Jiangkainois, which have yet to be featured. But even there, you can see some people bare footed and with shorter pants.

Spoiler

51819245795_fe6bb6c331_c.jpg

Nice story Khorne! I like the yellows in the wall and the troop design :thumbup: And the vegetation peeking out from behind the build trick never disappoints!

Thanks! Yes, the vegetation is indeed a good trick to make it seem larger and add an extra splash of color to everything.

both civilians and soldiers are really great! And I definitely wouldn't mind being the beggar myself seeing people is tossing him golden coins!!! :pir-grin:

Edited by blackdeathgr

On 1/16/2022 at 8:21 PM, Khorne said:

To clarify the bare feet: these are inspired by a mashup of several different types of 18th/early 19th (South East) Asian colonial infantry. I found it interesting that on many pictures or drawings I found, the soldiers were often bare feet, so I decided to keep that characteristic to set them apart from "regular western" infantry.

So yes, they are definitely meant to be shorts like @evancelt already said.

Thanks for the clarification. :pir-sweet:

(I mean this is the challenge for us to build yellow-coats. They always look like they are running around naked...)

Thanks everyone!

We'll see how well these guys will hold up against the rampant Lotii!