FriedlS

Drift chassis by Adrià Blancafort

I love that! The performance is obviously the most important here and everything serves the requirements, no matter what strange components building techniques are being used :wink:.

Interestingly enough a Lego car will not drift very well in RWD, but it will most likely do great in AWD. And making a big drift car is definitely on my to-do list somewhere in the future.

Btw. no need to use Lego(R) in the title of your video, the honour it´s entirely yours :wink:.

10 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

I love that! The performance is obviously the most important here and everything serves the requirements, no matter what strange components building techniques are being used :wink:.

Interestingly enough a Lego car will not drift very well in RWD, but it will most likely do great in AWD. And making a big drift car is definitely on my to-do list somewhere in the future.

Btw. no need to use Lego(R) in the title of your video, the honour it´s entirely yours :wink:.

Thank you very much! In my opinion a RWD Lego can’t drift like other rc cars because the steering speed and sometimes the steering angle is to low.

Nice mod! I watched the video of the original model a while back and really liked it, and I like your addition of the central diff and lock. Does it make a big difference between the locked and unlocked modes? Your use of the CADA micromotor only adds to my temptation to buy one... I did give in to the temptation to buy that Mould King hub, though, so I think I might have to build this chassis to test it out!

How grippy are the tires you're using? I've only got original Lego tires; would any of them allow decent drifting?

1 hour ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Nice mod! I watched the video of the original model a while back and really liked it, and I like your addition of the central diff and lock. Does it make a big difference between the locked and unlocked modes? Your use of the CADA micromotor only adds to my temptation to buy one... I did give in to the temptation to buy that Mould King hub, though, so I think I might have to build this chassis to test it out!

How grippy are the tires you're using? I've only got original Lego tires; would any of them allow decent drifting?

Thank you!
In my opinion and experience the difference is the way to drift. With the center diff open, you can only do donuts and not really drifting. But the car can also be controlled like every other rc car. When the center diff is locked, you need (in this configuration) slippery underground or slippery wheels because of the different gearing between the front and rear axle. But with this slippery wheels it is easy to drift. 
So these rc drift tires aren’t very grippy. 
The CADA micromotor works very well for this use.

44 minutes ago, FriedlS said:

Thank you!
In my opinion and experience the difference is the way to drift. With the center diff open, you can only do donuts and not really drifting. But the car can also be controlled like every other rc car. When the center diff is locked, you need (in this configuration) slippery underground or slippery wheels because of the different gearing between the front and rear axle. But with this slippery wheels it is easy to drift. 
So these rc drift tires aren’t very grippy. 
The CADA micromotor works very well for this use.

And normal Lego wheels won’t drift, because they are to grippy.

Btw. I received the old Lego drift wheels 44777:

01043887-64C0-448F-8312-C0E49A9A1E82

75D07743-AAEC-4EEF-9791-CD4ADFFCDD69

The first test drive was very good!! 😀

1 hour ago, Permo said:

Cool !

Drifting 1.9kg of Lego on the big rubber Porsche tires.... it can be done; https://bricksafe.com/files/Permo/de-driftkikker/Video.mp4

4 L motors hard coupled to the rear axle.

Nice drift! I got that Porsche set to drift a tad by applying a high-powered brushed motor to it, but yours is quite impressive! I think for this one I'm going to simulate the plastic Lego ones using some handy 3D-printed parts that fit over the tires:

800x600.jpg

I whipped up a simple design quick to see how much material it would use, liked the number, and started printing them one by one. It takes about an hour each, so I'm still waiting on the ones for the front tires!

So, I've tested it out with the low-friction "tires," and couldn't get a drift with the original gearing. I then changed the gearing as in your mod, and could then get slides going. I'm curious, though: in the original the front wheels spun faster, while in your mod, it seems to be the rear going faster. Is there a theoretical difference here?

20 hours ago, Permo said:

Cool !

Drifting 1.9kg of Lego on the big rubber Porsche tires.... it can be done; https://bricksafe.com/files/Permo/de-driftkikker/Video.mp4

4 L motors hard coupled to the rear axle.

This is a great building! Very powerful to make donuts with these tires and weight!👍👍

But in my opinion it isn’t really drifting in this clip.

BTW. a awesome building!

18 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Nice drift! I got that Porsche set to drift a tad by applying a high-powered brushed motor to it, but yours is quite impressive! I think for this one I'm going to simulate the plastic Lego ones using some handy 3D-printed parts that fit over the tires:

800x600.jpg

I whipped up a simple design quick to see how much material it would use, liked the number, and started printing them one by one. It takes about an hour each, so I'm still waiting on the ones for the front tires!

Great to see your version! 
In my opinion it is easier to drift, when the rear axle spins faster. Fun fact, Ford has this solution also at their actual Focus RS AWD 😀

I made some changes:

Installed a second buggy motor and reduced the width about 2 studs:

6EC20EC1-9D49-4E6F-A055-626CAD690B90

and of course a little test drive:

Cool to see! Does that Mould King hub actually support two buggy motors well? I had never seen anybody try that before, so I assumed it wouldn't work well, but if it does, that's a huge additional value!

17 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Cool to see! Does that Mould King hub actually support two buggy motors well? I had never seen anybody try that before, so I assumed it wouldn't work well, but if it does, that's a huge additional value!

Yes it works good. But i guess the reason for it is, that the chassis is quite light and so the load isn't to high. I will test it with original lego tires, so the load will be increased. 

15 hours ago, Mechbuilds said:

change the diffs to the older style and you gain more speed. 

Yes you are absolutly right, but with hi higher gear ratio, the load is getting to high. And i am to old for faster cars to come along with them :)

Update: now with the original LEGO drift tires:

Edited by FriedlS

Update:

One of my favorite technic cars, i had, the 8860 😊. Here is a attempt to honor this car, based on the drift chassis above:

4A91ED25-5FEB-4379-8912-4E300A19C373

Edited by FriedlS

Cool! That's a nice way to make the bare chassis you need for high performance have some interest, and retro appeal.

1 hour ago, FriedlS said:

Update:

One of my favorite technic cars, i had, the 8860 😊. Here is a attempt to honor this car, based on the drift chassis above:

As I just recognized you seem to use a CaDA steering motor. Does it work proportionally with the (MouldKing?) battery box? Other thing, do I see camber angle on the front wheels or am I fantasising? *huh*

13 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Cool! That's a nice way to make the bare chassis you need for high performance have some interest, and retro appeal.

That is right, thank you very much! 😊

13 hours ago, johnnym said:

As I just recognized you seem to use a CaDA steering motor. Does it work proportionally with the (MouldKing?) battery box? Other thing, do I see camber angle on the front wheels or am I fantasising? *huh*

Unfortunately not. The response of the CaDa Servo is a little bit slower than the original Lego Servo. But i had to change it because two of my Lego servos don’t work anymore after using it in this chassis 😒

And you are right of the camber angle 😊 here are some more pictures:

7D41782D-D645-4356-96A5-E6F162CD5E0C500E1A75-A972-4DEA-B03C-A034238176665AC8E865-770A-4123-A33E-90FFD2D8246423FA39C8-FB00-4A19-BA04-BA1E0D8A73B01BA4A210-3820-4D37-9B4C-80DA38AAB178

Wow, you have made a lot of progress and increased the fun to another level :excited::thumbup:! I think it´s the right decision not to overload the car with a heavy "gapless" body, but to keep it slim for an agile performance. 

Does the camber angle have any real purpose, I mean does it deliver advanced behavior on the "race track"? 

1 hour ago, brunojj1 said:

Wow, you have made a lot of progress and increased the fun to another level :excited::thumbup:! I think it´s the right decision not to overload the car with a heavy "gapless" body, but to keep it slim for an agile performance. 

Does the camber angle have any real purpose, I mean does it deliver advanced behavior on the "race track"? 

Thank you very much!

The most positive impact is the positive caster angle, for straight forward. With this camber angle and the original Lego drift tires it is easier to loose grip and drifting is little bit easier. But the differences aren’t very big.

5 hours ago, FriedlS said:

Unfortunately not. The response of the CaDa Servo is a little bit slower than the original Lego Servo.

Ok, but you can use it with more than three steps (i.e. -90°, 0° and 90°), right? That's what I actually meant to ask.

5 hours ago, FriedlS said:

But i had to change it because two of my Lego servos don’t work anymore after using it in this chassis 😒

Just from using it in there? How long did they last then? And what behaviour do they show now?

1 hour ago, johnnym said:

Ok, but you can use it with more than three steps (i.e. -90°, 0° and 90°), right? That's what I actually meant to ask.

Just from using it in there? How long did they last then? And what behaviour do they show now?

No, the CaDa servo has only got three steps with this batterybox. 

I think they work about 2-3 hours and now both do only rotate in one direction.