McWaffel

I restored some 9V track and motors with guitar care products

Tip of the day: restoring 9V motors and track with guitar care products

After my dark ages ended I busted out my old 9V system and ran it for fun. I noticed that they would only run on speeds 3+ if I had cars attached, and that often times I would have to push start the trains if they came to a stop, because of contact issues. 

Since it’s been more than a decade after I ran them last, I could not remember if this is just how it was, or if my track and motors had gone bad over time.

Some time ago, I ordered some guitar care products from Gibson, for my guitar, and since the metal parts on my guitar are in perfect condition, I never saw a need to use the metal cleaner that came with it. 

The other day I was setting up my 9V train for Christmas and I stumbled upon this bottle of unused guitar metal cleaner. So I decided to use it on some curved 9V track to see if it was any good or would cause damage. As it happens, the track came back quite nicely, so next I took a motor and started cleaning the wheels using the cleaner and a microfiber cloth, as well as q-tips. After rubbing and polishing the wheels for 5min each, I wiped them down and put them on the track for a test run. 

I am happy to report that they‘ve never run better! I did not even bother polishing the rest of the track, as the motors have never stalled/disconnected anywhere. They run great at any speed, even on speeds 1 and 2. Additionally, the 9V bulb no longer flickers at all, even at the lowest speed setting. 

I highly recommend you to try this out, if you have a 9V system! I suppose you can use any low abrasion metal cleaners for this. I just happened to have a bottle of Gibson brand cleaner.

I have attached a couple of pictures of the track in comparison as well as the train wheels and the cleaner I used.

gt3NItX.jpg
Track on the left is untouched, the right one was polished with the cleaner and a microfiber cloth.

U9m5Vty.jpg

9V motor wheels after polishing.

XQFgm7i.jpg

The cleaner I used

2 hours ago, McWaffel said:

And the train never sounded better (grin). Seriously though, that sounds great

Great results and thanks for sharing.

I had also posted the results of my eraser-soapy water-shower procedure in the thread below:

7 hours ago, McWaffel said:

Nice indeed!

And, I mean, "this rocks" just gets another twist. Very nice. I shall try that out. Don't have any guitar or the like, but I'll put on some Carlos Santana (or Rammstein :pir-skel:) and then do some rails/wheel cleaning ...

Thanks for sharing!

Best,
Thorsten

I use rubbing alcohol on my 9V when they get dirty. Been using it for years and haven't done any damage yet.

Nice trick! And assuming you have a Gibson guitar to go with the Gibson cleaner, you have good taste sir!

17 minutes ago, allanp said:

assuming you have a Gibson guitar to go with the Gibson cleaner, you have good taste sir!

I sure do, 2016 SG Standard in ebony with the batwing pick guard 🤟🏼

3 hours ago, McWaffel said:

I sure do, 2016 SG Standard in ebony with the batwing pick guard 🤟🏼

Niiiiice!!!!!

just to go a little of topic here and have a bit of a laugh: not 9v but 120v

after you have used this guitar you maybe never ever need guitar care products ever again! ;-)