Sign in to follow this  
Takanuinuva

Assembly Help.

Please move if in wrong topic. Or direct me to an existing topic if there is one.

So I'm working on a biplane moc. And I need to have a connection on top of this assembly. And if there isn't any studs on top. The top wing will only be connected by 2 studs.

assembly_help.png

I've tried every bracket and snot technique I can think of but I can't get any 2x2 2x4 1x2 or 1x4 plate to connect at the top. 

I'll take any connection at this point. Just something that would connect the black plate to the grey assembly.

Anyone got any ideas?

This will never work in this simplified fashion. You're simply not operating within the grid of the LEGO system. It most definitely would work with some brackets, you just would have to insert additional plates to get the correct spacing and that's probably where the wheels fall off your plane, in a manner of speaking...

Mylenium

12 hours ago, Takanuinuva said:

So I'm working on a biplane moc. And I need to have a connection on top of this assembly. And if there isn't any studs on top. The top wing will only be connected by 2 studs.

I've tried every bracket and snot technique I can think of but I can't get any 2x2 2x4 1x2 or 1x4 plate to connect at the top. 

I'll take any connection at this point. Just something that would connect the black plate to the grey assembly.

Anyone got any ideas?

Have you tried using two of these? I have not tested it, but I think that a 2x3 connection would be easier to make here than a 2x4, and the placement of the studs would keep any further assemblies centred. 

8 hours ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

Have you tried using two of these? I have not tested it, but I think that a 2x3 connection would be easier to make here than a 2x4, and the placement of the studs would keep any further assemblies centred. 

I have not. But the problem I've run into is any type of snot assembly will prevent any length of plate from attaching. Even 1x3.

Funny thing is. 2 of these brackets bottom to bottom originally let me attach a plate to them.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=36840#T=C

But for some reason. It doesn't anymore. Like some kind of weird mandella effect. 

1 hour ago, Takanuinuva said:

I have not. But the problem I've run into is any type of snot assembly will prevent any length of plate from attaching. Even 1x3.

What about using these in place of the 1x4 plates, then building up from the bottom? You could create a structure that locks this section in-place, despite it not having any stud connections to the rest of the model. Also, what does the rest of the plane look like? 

35 minutes ago, Classic_Spaceman said:

What about using these in place of the 1x4 plates, then building up from the bottom? You could create a structure that locks this section in-place, despite it not having any stud connections to the rest of the model. Also, what does the rest of the plane look like? 

Can't build up from the bottom. However I did come up with a solution. I got rid of the 1x4's and just used 1x1's Then attached shield pieces.

As the main issue was finding detail to fill in the space above the engine.

plane_detail.png

2 minutes ago, Takanuinuva said:

I did come up with a solution. I got rid of the 1x4's and just used 1x1's Then attached shield pieces.

Very clever - I would not have thought of that! 👍