Recommended Posts

59 minutes ago, kbalage said:

I don't think there's a significant difference between the licensing prices of different companies. The 1:8 scale cars are sold as a premium product with premium packaging and all the bells and whistles, so they ask a premium price for them.

ok for the licences but the crane has also premium packaging ;-)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, fred-eric said:

the crane has also premium packaging ;-)

No it doesn't.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Great job presenting this data, but wouldn't it be better if we placed in all in temporal order (by year)?  That way would really help determine any possible increase over time.  I want to things that beginning with set 42000 there is a linear progression with set number and time of release but there is not.  

What do you mean? The set numbers are released in subsequent order each year, with minor exceptions like the Liebherr crane which got postponed by a year. So sorting by set number is pretty close to sorting by year.
And I did not expect the data to be an accurate comparison, just mearly a gathering of PPW for reference. For instance, one can easily see that last years 42140 tops every Technic set released so far in PPW.
One could also argue why not take out pins and 1x1 parts from PPP ratios entirely, right?
 

12 hours ago, kbalage said:

I don't think there's a significant difference between the licensing prices of different companies. The 1:8 scale cars are sold as a premium product with premium packaging and all the bells and whistles, so they ask a premium price for them.

Them why even take the Ferrari Daytona in particular for your video? Just to make the Liebherr crane look good in comparison? If you'd taken a more appropriate set like 42100 (same license, similar number of electronic components but with only 97 €/kg) this crane would still end up being 50% overpriced.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, R0Sch said:

Them why even take the Ferrari Daytona in particular for your video? Just to make the Liebherr crane look good in comparison? If you'd taken a more appropriate set like 42100 (same license, similar number of electronic components but with only 97 €/kg) this crane would still end up being 50% overpriced.

I took that one in the video to show that there are worst sets from this perspective in the Technic lineup, yet the price of those weren't criticized at this level. I didn't want to include sets that were not sold after the recent price increases as that'd require more speculation.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, kbalage said:

I took that one in the video to show that there are worst sets from this perspective in the Technic lineup, yet the price of those weren't criticized at this level. I didn't want to include sets that were not sold after the recent price increases as that'd require more speculation.

strange, but against the backdrop of a daytona crane, it clearly emphasized its superiority in aesthetic terms and copy, in contrast to a parody of a masterpiece crane. They are from different categories, and their target audience is also different. resource crane, daytona shelf model... The crane is worth taking, but for the full use of the frames - to create a mock in the correct scale (unlike the original) - you will have to purchase 2 sets, or parts from the second 42146.

Edited by Danil

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Timorzelorzworz said:

Found interesting video about cranes. at minute 40:15 it shows the LR13000 in exactly that colors that the Lego model has. 

Again, it's not the colours, it's the proportions that suck.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Maaboo35 said:

Again, it's not the colours, it's the proportions that suck.

Well I've seen a video on FB that has more similar proportions to the lego one ;) though the trusses are still a bit too wide I guess. But we are getting there slowly :)

https://fb.watch/m6mwAATNFt/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

@Ngoc Nguyen if that was part of an official Lego set, I wouldn't want to see the rant topic about it.. No doubt it will have better proportions at the end than Lego's version, but the driveability now already looks jerky (he just put waaaay to many gears in it, look at that 24T geartrain), same way to fast slewing, amount of parts&price will be skyhigh, brickbuild counterweight would be called a parts dump to raise piececount. Where the current counterweight makes people say the piececount isn't high enough, imagine TLG put 2.4K parts in making 1kg counterweight, we wouldn't have the "it's only 3K parts!!" The complete liftarm/panelling a rectangular box would be broken down hard in the comments.

No doubt that will be a fun/nice MOC if finished, but not at all a "Lego should have made it like this".

11 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

Again, it's not the colours, it's the proportions that suck.

If we wait like 6 more months, Liebherr will have made a real LR13000 with exactly the same proportions as the Lego version to bamboozle everyone.

Edited by Mr Jos
Typo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/29/2023 at 2:40 PM, aminnich said:

Why 2 spools for the hook? Does it not work like a typical block and hook setup?

Exact like the real crane :wink:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/30/2023 at 3:31 PM, nerdsforprez said:

Folks should also really consider that one cannot compare really small sets with large one in price per gram relationships.  The reason for this is the relationship is not linear.  It is logarithmic with the curve flattening out as piece count or weight exceeds a certain amount.  I have shown this in the past (like nearly ten years ago) but I believe this is because larger sets typically have more redundancy in them (repeated parts such as pins in Technic, regular bricks in other sets) and therefore, at least if you operationalize the term "efficient" with less redundancy large sets are more efficient than smaller sets changing the curvilinear relationship between cost and weight for large sets versus the same relationship for small sets.  

Still got a link? With some effort and enough data across different themes you can make an “adjusted value” function in order to take weight and price out of the comparison.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Wow jist noticed that the longest sring cord has length 650cm!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Danke said:

Still got a link? With some effort and enough data across different themes you can make an “adjusted value” function in order to take weight and price out of the comparison.

I make a topic on it many years ago.  

 I briefly looked at it.  Looks like several of the links are broken, I'll try to look at fixing them.  Take a look at the pubmed article (ncbi article) its fascinating.  This will all be incomplete without the data, but it will give you a starting point if you are interested.  

Edited by nerdsforprez

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 7/31/2023 at 5:04 AM, R0Sch said:

One could also argue why not take out pins and 1x1 parts from PPP ratios entirely, right?

Actually, I cannot understand why one would.  One can make an argument for leaving outliers out of a data set if the outliers appear to change the real story of what the data is trying to tell you.  But, at least in Technic, pins are often THE story and are hardly an outliers as they are the most common piece in every single set.  1x1 parts - perhaps, but again, that would only make sense, IMO, if they were used very rarely in a set.  

On 7/31/2023 at 5:04 AM, R0Sch said:

What do you mean? The set numbers are released in subsequent order each year, with minor exceptions like the Liebherr crane which got postponed by a year. So sorting by set number is pretty close to sorting by year.

Yes, you are right.  I knew there were problems with TLG coding, so I didn't bother looking at a small sample.  Whatever the errors are, they are not meaningful enough to not infer the whole ascending year = ascending set number finding...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Maybe anybody cares (no) - I've ordered mine for 537 Euro including shipping from Germany to Poland

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, Aleh said:

Maybe anybody cares (no) - I've ordered mine for 537 Euro including shipping from Germany to Poland

You could buy it on amazon.pl for 2249zł which is ~505 euro. Shipping from Germany rarely pays off.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Repkovsky said:

You could buy it on amazon.pl for 2249zł which is ~505 euro. Shipping from Germany rarely pays off.

For me it was vital to pay via Paypal. Amazon does not support it. But thanks for mentioning the bestprice!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Repkovsky said:

You could buy it on amazon.pl for 2249zł which is ~505 euro. Shipping from Germany rarely pays off.

Nice, Amazon US has it from RRP of $699.99. More interesting is the number of sales, Amazon claims over 50 units sold with only 4 remaining, as of 2 Aug 23. Not sure if this is disappointing or good.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

According to all the posts on FB and everywhere around, the people that are shouting "I'm not going to buy it, it's to expensive, no one will buy it at that price!" are getting outblasted right now. Sales seem to be going pretty well, and multiple posts where people have bought 2 to make a bigger one already.

But it seems they are looking for a new Technic set designer since 1st of Aug, so if you think you can do better than all "bad looking" recent sets, what are you waiting for; Technic Product Designer - Careers - LEGO.com

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, Mr Jos said:

According to all the posts on FB and everywhere around, the people that are shouting "I'm not going to buy it, it's to expensive, no one will buy it at that price!" are getting outblasted right now. Sales seem to be going pretty well, and multiple posts where people have bought 2 to make a bigger one already. 

I've asked my local store manager how the Liebherr crane was selling and the answer was "pretty good", they had to restock the shelves once yesterday. On the other hand there is only room for 2 sets, so not that great I would say... Was also surprised how small the box size is, compared to the CAT D11 (almost same volume) or the John Deere Skidder (half the volume) and the Eiffel Tower, which is still cheaper by 50€, but double the box volume and 50% heavier.
I guess the most sets bought by a single individual is 91 (BL reseller from NL) followed by the 20 from that German reseller who wants 5€ per counterweight piece. Thanks but no thanks! :pir_wacko:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No deals to be had yet in North America that I can find but admittedly I didn't look very hard.  We definitely don't have the selection of retail channels that exists in Europe though so I don't really expect any unless/until Lego starts discounting or Costco picks it up..

On 8/2/2023 at 11:25 AM, Aleh said:

Maybe anybody cares (no) - I've ordered mine for 537 Euro including shipping from Germany to Poland

I am very curious what you are going to do with it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 hours ago, mdemerchant said:

I am very curious what you are going to do with it.

Perhaps he will assembly it, enjoy the process and the final result. I am very curious why are you asking this?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.