For those who might be interested, the crane frame pieces are finally available in the US at Pick a Brick.

Just joined as I have got this for my birthday next month after buying it in the UK for £400 at Smiths. I've been lurking around here and Reddit looking at ways to potentially extend this set especially now the boom frames are on Pick a Brick here too. Sadly the cost of what's on a simple list to extend comes out at £180 on PaB which is less than the alternatives but still nearly half the current UK price at Smiths or Amazon. I've been tempted to get another set but sneaking that past the Mrs will be a hard job!

I'm really looking forward to the build and playability of the base set and really want to see if extending this is worth it plus what's the best way to do it.

Currently I haven't really formed an opinion on the set other than they should have supplied something for it to lift like they did in the Rough Terrain Crane set, which is also potentially another reason to buy another set to extend the main one, build some lifting item out of the spares left over and or potentially a smaller crane too...

18 minutes ago, N00b1nat0r said:

Just joined as I have got this for my birthday next month after buying it in the UK for £400 at Smiths. I've been lurking around here and Reddit looking at ways to potentially extend this set especially now the boom frames are on Pick a Brick here too. Sadly the cost of what's on a simple list to extend comes out at £180 on PaB which is less than the alternatives but still nearly half the current UK price at Smiths or Amazon. I've been tempted to get another set but sneaking that past the Mrs will be a hard job!

I'm really looking forward to the build and playability of the base set and really want to see if extending this is worth it plus what's the best way to do it.

Currently I haven't really formed an opinion on the set other than they should have supplied something for it to lift like they did in the Rough Terrain Crane set, which is also potentially another reason to buy another set to extend the main one, build some lifting item out of the spares left over and or potentially a smaller crane too...

Welcome to the forum! Building things for the crane to lift is actually an extension of the fun of owning it, IMHO. I decided on a crate. I used a simple pine board, cut in lengths, then stacked and glued together. Balsa wood strips from a modeling store were used for the outside cribbing and a kit of hardware used in scale models provided the hooks and chains.

Box-A-X2.jpg

44 minutes ago, Lego Tom said:

Welcome to the forum! Building things for the crane to lift is actually an extension of the fun of owning it, IMHO. I decided on a crate. I used a simple pine board, cut in lengths, then stacked and glued together. Balsa wood strips from a modeling store were used for the outside cribbing and a kit of hardware used in scale models provided the hooks and chains.

Thanks Tom, I saw tour crate and wondered how it was made and of what materials. Interesting out of subject build and materials. 

So started build last week and finished it off at the weekend. My children and myself have been having some fun with this, firstly the youngest daughter (3) was just messing with the boom and turning it. My son (5) was doing some lifting and moving the crane around our kitchen (largest area with space) very well, he could, lift, move and lower his 1kg water bottle with some considerable skill. Even after a bit of time he was using the app very well!

My initial thoughts with this set is the size is BIG, really big, my son is just taller and the tip of the luffing jib is our kitchen counter height. Its has really great playability features, and also learning features, such as COG movement and weight capacity(my son was really interested in these) and we high the limit with two water bottles!

Controls are good with some fine controllability, with practice I could, hook up, lift water bottles, move them and place them with some accuracy down and unhook them. I found the instructions quite a long process, and broke it down into 2x hours a night but with a lack of sleep I did somehow manage to miss 1x black pin, 2x blue 3L pins and 8x yellow bushes in the build. I suspect the bushes are from the ring build, and no idea where the pins are from. It however seems to be working all ok. 

I think Lego have somehow come out with a crane that has both a boom, Luffing Jib and be of some size and use but not over sized. If you compare it to the alternative MK version I would not purchase that one at all just on the build and size of it alone. I find this one is a compromise between parts included, size and features but have the ability to MOC it yourself as seen. You can go single boom, short luffing jib or purchase more frames/2nd set and double it! They could have gone down the old blue crawler crane route and not given us a luffing jib and the A frames. I think if they had increased the size of this, it would have increased the pricing and size too much and moved this out of some buyers reach/homes!

In regards to the colours and also the size, I did see one on one video and eventually came across this on the Liebherr site Fourth Liebherr LR 13000 crawler crane handed over | Liebherr where when looking at the images you can see the crane is yellow, and the boom ends are red just the same as the Lego version. Also the proportions are similar with the Derrick boom being shorter than the main boom. I think proportionally this is the offering in 42146, however what they have had to do is fit in the controller box between the counter weights attached to the body, and the counter weights supplied are the derrick ballast but with no lifting ability and attached to the main body. The other thing to point out is when looking at the options for the LR 13000 you can see as per the images on that page, the size of the boom actually goes from heavy to light (Thicker to thinner) on the luffing jib, I suspect Lego were not able to come up with something similar and this could have been another reason for the size. So overall a compromise in my opinion and I think Lego know this is the case.

Overall I am happy with my purchase, I am also looking at ways to modify this and extend the boom/jibs (total of around 6x or 7x frames lengths shared with all 3x booms/jibs) adding extra counter weight in front of the current counter weight (inline with the winch controller box) but higher up. At the moment these parts are just under half the cost of what I paid for this set new so I am waiting for a price drop or a 2nd hand one to be at a good price, however these are currently fetching the same as the new price!

14 hours ago, N00b1nat0r said:

In regards to the colours and also the size, I did see one on one video and eventually came across this on the Liebherr site Fourth Liebherr LR 13000 crawler crane handed over | Liebherr where when looking at the images you can see the crane is yellow, and the boom ends are red just the same as the Lego version.

Funny that some people and even some reviewers criticized the set for its "unrealistic" colours and configuration, but what do you know, those are entirely realistic and the critics were just unaware of how things are in real life.

Anyway, I share a lot of your sentiments about this set, and I'm similarly happy about it even if it was really expensive purchase. Obviously it's a compromise of many factors but overall I feel it turned out in the end much better than I initially thought.

Posted (edited)

What do you think a good used price would be for this?  Oddly enough, there are 2 listed on FB marketplace near me.  

EDIT- adult owned/smoke free/pet free condition

Edited by aminnich

9 hours ago, aminnich said:

What do you think a good used price would be for this?  Oddly enough, there are 2 listed on FB marketplace near me.  

EDIT- adult owned/smoke free/pet free condition

A good price or a realistic price? A good price would be $200 - $250 US. A realistic price quite a bit more.

My upper limit is £300.. +/- 10%. Its a toy and i spend 99% of my building time on moc's.

Flagships seem to be targeted at the people that build and put on a shelf these days, not old school build it once and take it apart for mocing... Its Airfix in disguise. Missing the whole point of lego.

1 hour ago, TeamThrifty said:

My upper limit is £300.. +/- 10%. Its a toy and i spend 99% of my building time on moc's.

Flagships seem to be targeted at the people that build and put on a shelf these days, not old school build it once and take it apart for mocing... Its Airfix in disguise. Missing the whole point of lego.

And what, pray tell, is the whole point of LEGO?

1 hour ago, Lego Tom said:

what, pray tell, is the whole point of LEGO?

It used to be "play well", but it has changed to "pay well" lately.

1 hour ago, Lego Tom said:

And what, pray tell, is the whole point of LEGO?

..not to sit on a shelf gathering dust. It comes to pieces for a reason, thats the reason its designed that way, with no glue needed. Its immensely obvious its designed to be taken to pieces and other things be built from it.

Airfix and diecast are for sitting on a shelf. 

There used to be a thing called 'Technical Ideas Book', and not one of those ideas was 'do nothing, just put it on a shelf' !

45 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Isn't that the truth!!

3 hours ago, AVCampos said:

New Elementary seems right for you, then. :grin:

It does! I mostly buy new parts only these days.. like new diffs and gearbox parts. Brilliant for better mocs, soon as i see the parts my brain thinks 'moc'

1 hour ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Well-played

5 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

A fair statement but....look around. With very few exceptions, everything has increased in price. The vehicle I bought 5 years ago would cost me $10,000 more to replace today. $100 used to get 4 bags of groceries whereas today it's closer to just two. The only thing that hasn't increased is my pension!

Moreover, there have been some rather reasonably priced sets recently. Take 42178 for example - around the same amount of parts as 42049 eight years before it, and it's the same price. The upcoming Volvo set has a pretty agreeable price tag as well.

Posted (edited)

A German shop lists this set for under 400 € if someone is interested buying the Set for a reasonable price

Edited by Timorzelorzworz
Sorry. Link was removed. Its a fake shop after some resaerch

Posted (edited)

Hi everyone. I just finished my version of LR13000. My goal was to have a working derrick boom with floating ballast. Total 10 motors, 3 hubs, both track has two drives, turntable motor is now belongs to the top structure.

I started with the fullest design but it was way too tall for my apartement (210cm). So I have reduced the jib by two elements and the main boom by one. Unfortunately the whole boom is light so having bigger spanner holder ?boom? or whatewere the name of what the cylinders hold is not possible in order to keep the boom's center of gravity in front of the superstructure connection.

What is more than two sets: few 2L nad 8L axles, few bushings and the four cylinder (there are two at the A frame of derrick boom tilt control)

Now comes the programing, two tilt sensor required for the derrick and main boom then the balancing is going to be automatic and will be playable (nut sure how much fun it will be as it is very sensitive and complex).

L3QLjzX.jpeg

le7DNJf.jpeg

Details - the cylinders are only for visuals.
kGCfbt8.jpeg

Here is the max size:

mP9EguA.jpeg

1RMR4aX.jpeg

Edited by vanczakp

Posted (edited)

now everybody who buyed the set is happy or have settled , there are besides the shortcomings  also new parts and new a tricks to build .  like the four ring turntable and the "turntable"  "hinge" that carries the main boom.   I see people started to improve and extend the dimentions  does everyone agree the model in basic is a good start or is that the first to change ?    (all the discussion about the salesprice are very boring ... so stop that !)

Edited by craneson

1 hour ago, craneson said:

now everybody who buyed the set is happy or have settled , there are besides the shortcomings  also new parts and new a tricks to build .  like the four ring turntable and the "turntable"  "hinge" that carries the main boom.   I see people started to improve and extend the dimentions  does everyone agree the model in basic is a good start or is that the first to change ?    (all the discussion about the salesprice are very boring ... so stop that !)

Member @vanczakp posted some good ideas in his posts in this thread: Liebherr 13000 Updates that are best done during the build as they would be difficult to do retroactively.