Just now, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The 60z turntable has a diameter of 7 studs, while the ring formed by AT-AT gear racks will have an inner diameter of 9 studs. I don't think they will even make contact.

Hmm. I could be wrong, but I thought I had read that those had 15 teeth per segment, for a total of 60 in a full circle. Also, I thought the external diameter was 11 studs, and since the ring is about two studs thick per side, wouldn't that make the internal diameter 7 studs as well?

4 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Hmm. I could be wrong, but I thought I had read that those had 15 teeth per segment, for a total of 60 in a full circle. Also, I thought the external diameter was 11 studs, and since the ring is about two studs thick per side, wouldn't that make the internal diameter 7 studs as well?

You are right. The part is listed as Technic Gear Rack 6 x 6 Curved. Given the overlap on the axle holes, the outer diameter is 11 studs. 

They could use the ATAT racks with the 28t turn table but I doubt it. This big crane most likely gonna have the BWE racks I'd say.

14 minutes ago, allanp said:

They could use the ATAT racks with the 28t turn table but I doubt it. This big crane most likely gonna have the BWE racks I'd say.

If this is the case I fear it is going to stick out a ton.  I just can't see a carrier large enough to fill it out at only 2900 pieces and 4 ft. tall.  

Found this on YT.  

This to me looks perhaps in the ball park of 2900 pieces.  Their turntable appears to be non-Lego.  Metal perhaps.  But wondering what others think.  This might be even slightly more than 3000 pieces.  But the turntable for the RTC or BWE would definitely stick out a ton and look weird.  

Another thing.  Looking at pics of this online there are multiple versions with double columns in the main mast.  Is this only for certain versions?  B/c it does not appear in every version or configuration.  Anyone know the story here? 

AT-AT quarter gear racks do indeed fit exactly around the 60T turntable. Meshing can be easily avoided though by moving the the turntable one stud up or down (you'll need two sets of quartercircles anyway)

Just now, Jeroen Ottens said:

AT-AT quarter gear racks do indeed fit exactly around the 60T turntable. Meshing can be easily avoided though by moving the the turntable one stud up or down (you'll need two sets of quartercircles anyway)

Good point!

10 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

We probably will also see a ton of 16L cross axles with eyes.  Which are kinda rare....

If you mean these: 250x250p.jpg?1642568482.3191593
They are only €0.68 on Bricks and Pieces (here in the Netherlands).

Edited by LvdH

9 hours ago, Jundis said:

Just longer ones. Normal braided string for the 42082 is 3 m long, I think this thing will need at least 12 m, given the multiple revs. I already see the frustration of sariel and complaining about this fiddly task :D

That seems very optimistic to me. I don't expect them to include more than 5m, and I wouldn't be surprised if they only include 3m. Remember the hook doesn't "need" to reach lower than the top of whatever liftable they include.

58 minutes ago, LvdH said:

If you mean these: 250x250p.jpg?1642568482.3191593
They are only €0.68 on Bricks and Pieces (here in the Netherlands).

Yea...I am aware. But that is only b/c demands remains low. They still are relatively rare...don't show up often in official technic sets.  

1 hour ago, nerdsforprez said:

Yea...I am aware. But that is only b/c demands remains low. They still are relatively rare...don't show up often in official technic sets.  

Yes, but they appeared in AT-AT UCS last year 

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?S=75313-1#T=S&O={"iconly":0}

and in Sian and 42077 Rally car in technic theme in recent time; but as you said they are a bit rare

It seems that that's a part that can almost always be worked around, but is really satisfying and looks nice where it works. I want to get some!

2 hours ago, pleegwat said:

Remember the hook doesn't "need" to reach lower than the top of whatever liftable they include.

Would have been awesome if the liftable object was a SpaceX Starship with Super Heavy Booster.

It should be in the Liebherr Excavator scale, of course. It's time for a Liebherr series!!

The next set would be this, then. :pir_tong2:

5 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Another thing.  Looking at pics of this online there are multiple versions with double columns in the main mast.  Is this only for certain versions?  B/c it does not appear in every version or configuration.  Anyone know the story here? 

I believe that is called the Power Boom setup, for very heavy lifting and stability. As I mentioned earlier, I hope that is the setup we get.

51 minutes ago, Johnny1360 said:

I believe that is called the Power Boom setup, for very heavy lifting and stability. As I mentioned earlier, I hope that is the setup we get.

But com'on...in reality why would we?  What would motivate TLG to provide that? It would only increase chances of buyers trying to lift ridiculous things, likely breaking parts, complaints, etc...and we already know the part count is low.  Power boom would only take away from that.   I don't think it's likely we get that setup.

3 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

But com'on...in reality why would we?  What would motivate TLG to provide that? It would only increase chances of buyers trying to lift ridiculous things, likely breaking parts, complaints, etc...and we already know the part count is low.  Power boom would only take away from that.   I don't think it's likely we get that setup.

Well presumably it will at least partly be up to Liebherr what boom setup is included.  But I certainly wouldn't count on getting it.  On the other hand the power boom may actually make it less fragile which would help meet TLG's standards of not falling to pieces when you play with it so you never know.

I'll be interested to see how they do the slewing bearing.  This is frequently a weak point on crane models and will be tough to make solid if they try and stick to scale at all instead of just using the big gear rings.  If the new rings are only 11L wide it's going to be wobbly for a 1.5m boom unless they have a clever design.  Maybe this is a place where they could come up with a useful new part like a larger turn table.

5 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

and we already know the part count is low.  Power boom would only take away from that.   I don't think it's likely we get that setup.

How do you figure the powerboom would consume any more pieces than the luffing jib configurations, they would be also far more fragile. All lego needs to do is have a picture in the opening manual pages with the built crane and a kg rate on the hook so that argument is removed

I think it would be a good fit simply because it is more stable and it also is not near as tall as some of the other setups, also seems to be something relatively new technology wise, not sure on that though. Basically hoping for something a little bit different from the usual. Anyway at this point it's all just speculation of course, just throwing it out there.

8 hours ago, The01 said:

It should be in the Liebherr Excavator scale, of course. It's time for a Liebherr series!!

The next set would be this, then. :pir_tong2:

Yes, this is what I'm expecting also for the next Liebherr set.

---

Joking aside, I wonder if they're going to include a some fancy smart features, taking advantage of the PU hub's internal sensors. Maybe a system that moves the counterweight according the load on the boom (by detecting the tilt of the superstructure and then moving the counterweight to bring it back to level.)

Does this type of crane fold up at all for transport? This model sounds awesome but I can't imagine a lot of people have room to display or store something 5ft tall.

40 minutes ago, Eaglefan344 said:

Does this type of crane fold up at all for transport?

Generally, they disassemble into several pieces. There's a video upthread.

22 minutes ago, pleegwat said:

Generally, they disassemble into several pieces. There's a video upthread.

Many, many pieces.  I would guess easily 50+ truckloads for an LR13000 depending how big a boom and how much ballast is needed.  Even ignoring the boom and ballast you have a huge number of components that break down to workable weights/sizes for transport.  I doubt the model will be designed to come apart in a realistic way but probably the boom and derrick will be pretty easy to remove which will solve most storage problems.  But that does mean undoing and redoing all the rigging which is a pain.  Best keep it together and find a tall display location if you buy one.

11 hours ago, howitzer said:

Joking aside, I wonder if they're going to include a some fancy smart features, taking advantage of the PU hub's internal sensors. Maybe a system that moves the counterweight according the load on the boom (by detecting the tilt of the superstructure and then moving the counterweight to bring it back to level.)

I was planning on trying to do just that on my current project to see how it would work but I'm not sure the powered up app will have enough programming features.  I haven't played around with anything beyond simple motor drive from controls but it seems it has basic math and variables so it may be workable.  I need to build a few more crane components before I can try.  It definitely seems like it should be very possible for TLG with the custom C+ app but the real crane doesn't have that feature so I'd say it's unlikely to be included.

1 hour ago, mdemerchant said:

I was planning on trying to do just that on my current project to see how it would work but I'm not sure the powered up app will have enough programming features.  I haven't played around with anything beyond simple motor drive from controls but it seems it has basic math and variables so it may be workable.  I need to build a few more crane components before I can try.  It definitely seems like it should be very possible for TLG with the custom C+ app but the real crane doesn't have that feature so I'd say it's unlikely to be included.

Yeah, if the real one doesn't have such a feature I doubt Lego one will have it either. Would be fun thing to have though, and something truly novel to take advantage of the capabilities of the PU system. Though I'm not sure if the tilt sensor is sensitive enough, as it would in practice have to rely on the play and bending of the parts when loads are applied, thus the actual tilt would be very small as far as the sensor is concerned.