Just now, Richombx said:

Can’t see it. Way too fragile to be sold as a official set

I was thinking on structure idea, not exact solution...but certainly LEGO will not copy someone's MOC; at least not too obvious :wink:

1 minute ago, 1gor said:

I was thinking on structure idea, not exact solution...but certainly LEGO will not copy someone's MOC; at least not too obvious :wink:

That’s what I mean. I’m still tipping for a basic powerboom which is sturdy and also fits the reported low 1.5m height

11 minutes ago, Richombx said:

That’s what I mean. I’m still tipping for a basic powerboom which is sturdy and also fits the reported low 1.5m height

That is more likely. I didn't calculate what scale it could be (based on 1.5m height), so I can't tell whether boom would be 7, 9, 11, 13 or 15 studs thick...

13466127_1606933106303567_24849064012382

27 minutes ago, Richombx said:

Can’t see it. Way too fragile to be sold as a official set

Agreed. That is the same boom design as 42042, which was not very strong and I wouldn't think it is likely for a licensed set.

Edited by Bricktrain

4 hours ago, Bricktrain said:

Agreed. That is the same boom design as 42042, which was not very strong and I wouldn't think it is likely for a licensed set.

Yes that’s why 42042 only has a small boom so it stays strong enough for legos durability standards, same goes for 42009 which is a bit short but bends if made a section longer with the standard construction. I can’t see any kind of fly/luffing jib been stable enough to satisfy legos design criteria for form/function and durability for play

Edited by Milan
Do not quote images from the same page, please.

4 hours ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

1 Technic hub, 4 motors in the superstructure.
2 for the tracks with axles through the turntable.
1 motor for the LA's of the derrick
1 motor for all winches and a massive gearbox that selects them

The price will be indeed 600 cause there is a smartphone included or a new designed physical control.

(taking cover right now):laugh_hard:

:head_back:

You're right about the Control+ parts.

Assuming $600 is £450, the Control+ parts cost £65 plus 4 x £30, which is £185, leaving £265 for 2800 pieces, with is £0.0946 per piece - expensive but not unusual as an RRP.

We have the single-hub pattern from the Cat Bulldozer 42131; 2 motors for tracks, 1 for function selection and 1 for function power.
The trick will be whether the function selection motor is able to select more than one function at a time, for luffing etc.

I very much doubt there would be the highly-desired 4-function remote handset that would release the value of the 4-port hub but we can hope!

Mark

2 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Maybe TLG will introduce metal liftarms. 

Yeah, and maybe TLG will it make rain lollipops.

9 hours ago, Bricktrain said:

??? 

I don't think new longer beams or new connector will appear.

6 hours ago, 1gor said:

Anyway they didn't contact me :)

12 minutes ago, Aleh said:

Anyway they didn't contact me :)

It seems that Goliath doesn't respect David 

Hello All

Talking about new pieces, maybe TLG will include large thin pulley wheels without axle holes, so they can spin freely. This is something elementary for a big crawler crane and not yet in the inventory. I'm also wondering how many meters of string TLG should include, for a height of 1,5m, 10m of string? Especialy if they want to run the strings  2 or 3 times through the hook pulley. Also the hook pulley will need some small additional weights, plastic alone won't be enough weight I think. Also a bigger turntable should be an option or  smaller diameter curved liftarms. If TLG would release this set it would be a very intresting build with a lot of new pieces and for me  it's a definite buy.

Edited by gvo25
additional text

37 minutes ago, gvo25 said:

Hello All

Talking about new pieces, maybe TLG will include large thin pulley wheels without axle holes, so they can spin freely. This is something elementary for a big crawler crane and not yet in the inventory. I'm also wondering how many meters of string TLG should include, for a height of 1,5m, 10m of string? Especialy if they want to run the strings  2 or 3 times through the hook pulley. Also the hook pulley will need some small additional weights, plastic alone won't be enough weight I think. Also a bigger turntable should be an option or  smaller diameter curved liftarms. If TLG would release this set it would be a very intresting build with a lot of new pieces and for me  it's a definite buy.

There are a couple of pulley wheels that can be used, though larger diameter ones would be better, there are now lots of options for turntables though I expect it would use the same gear rack as the excavator and rough terrain crane. I use a boat weight in my hook blocks for additional weight so would expect something similar, I wouldnt expect much more than 4 parts though as even at that it seems painfully slow. 10m does seem about right.

I doubt it will run twin winches like big cranes do for heavy lifts, twin winches and 20 parts of line each takes a long time for hooking up, thats a modification for AFOLs to do.

Edited by Bricktrain

1 hour ago, gvo25 said:

Also a bigger turntable should be an option or  smaller diameter curved liftarms.

46 minutes ago, Bricktrain said:

there are now lots of options for turntables though I expect it would use the same gear rack as the excavator and rough terrain crane. 

Depending on the size of the superstructure, perhaps the new quarter gear circle parts from the UCS AT-AT could be used.

15 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Depending on the size of the superstructure, perhaps the new quarter gear circle parts from the UCS AT-AT could be used.

They had come to mind, they are quite small though, one would hope it will be larger than that.

I was thinking along the exact same questions as @gvo25.  About the turntable.... I am not sure if the one from the rough terrain crane (red) will be used.  That would make the superstructure large, which, if we really are looking at only ~2900 pieces I think that would make the superstructure too large (unless we have new, large, lattice pieces for the boom).  Perhaps the turntable from the UCS AT-AT is really on the table (see what I did there:wink:

About the string.  I would love if TLG offered reeving of the string multiple times through the hook block,etc. But realistically I am not sure that will happen.  Anyone who has reeved a large Lego crane cable system knows it can be a pain.  Or any model crane for that matter.  The amount of complaints, etc. may be difficult for TLG to handle.  

This is one thing that really intrigues me about this set.  This really is a gamble for TLG.  Even if the build of a large Lego crane is somewhat redundant, the setting it up, with back mast, luffing jib, all the string, etc. can be difficult and time-consuming.  Reeving is a complete pain!  That is the thing that I love about model cranes.  They are the only Lego models I truly feel one can play with, i.e. setting them up.  Years ago I built an over 8 ft. tall crane and it literally took hours to set up and do a lift.  I loved it.  But by the end my back hurt, neck, etc.  I really felt, at the end of the day, like I was actually working on a construction site!  My point is.. setting up can be very time-consuming and difficult.  I would not expect too much.  

Also...and I am glad that no one has yet discussed (that I have seen) how much this thing is going to be able to lift.  No doubt there will be folks who test these limits, try to lift something absurd, and then complain to TLG about it.  So I really think this is actually a real challenge for them to put in a set.  

8288 was a real treat.  I have it here in my Lego room.  But it is flimsy as hell, and can't lift anything.  I hope TLG is prepared to face all the complaints they will have if they release something that flimsy....

I think size is what is going to be the make or break for this. My mod based on 42042 is too unstable to lift anything with the luffer fitted. At shows people ask is anything happening as it is slow when everything is reeved up. I  took a couple of sections out of it to help stabilize it but if they opened the doors at the events sometimes I would have to lay the boom down to touch the tip on the table to stop it swaying from the wind gusts.

The boom section I built yesterday 15 x 15 in section is amazingly strong, I could probably stand on it, so could be able to lift a good deal if the rest of the crane is built similarly. What let my 42042 mod down was the flex of the superstructure, at that time we didn't have the large frames which would make it much more rigid. The small gear segments from the ATAT are still quite small, probably less than the arc of the supports in 42042. I haven't seen the friends pieces so not sure if they are larger. 

I don't think the boom will go to 15x15 but would hope at least 11x11 or 13x13 to make it a reasonable model. There does seem to be some conflicting opinions on whether it will have a luffing fly or just a straight boom. I think a straight boom is more likely as a luffer is very difficult for setting up plus the additional winch being required. 

4 hours ago, gvo25 said:

I'm also wondering how many meters of string TLG should include, for a height of 1,5m, 10m of string?

This is Lego we are talking about. . . we will have to tie together 4 string pieces to make up the full cable.

In seriousness though, perhaps a new string piece will be introduced, as it would be impossible to expect any builder to be able to tie together all the necessary cables at the exact lengths. You would need at least a 1.7-1.8m string as well for the lifting cables, for the height that the model has, plus ends for tying. 

Edited by Stuartn

If this is built to a scale of 1:40 where 1.5m is 60m of boom, the slew ring diameter is about 12cm which would be about right for the AT-AT gear segments,  the boom sections would be 10 x 10cm or about 12 studs. 

49 minutes ago, Bricktrain said:

If this is built to a scale of 1:40 where 1.5m is 60m of boom, the slew ring diameter is about 12cm which would be about right for the AT-AT gear segments,  the boom sections would be 10 x 10cm or about 12 studs. 

That would fit the track more or less - 56 mm vs 2400 mm

But it does not look like there are versions with boom extension that "small".

https://www.liebherr.com/external/products/products-assets/173133/liebherr-technical-data-sheet-mobile-crane-195-lr-13000-td-195-01-defisr03-2.pdf

But there is a version with stronger main boom and extra counter weight :D. PDB page 14.

16 minutes ago, Gimmick said:

That would fit the track more or less - 56 mm vs 2400 mm

But it does not look like there are versions with boom extension that "small".

https://www.liebherr.com/external/products/products-assets/173133/liebherr-technical-data-sheet-mobile-crane-195-lr-13000-td-195-01-defisr03-2.pdf

But there is a version with stronger main boom and extra counter weight :D. PDB page 14.

SDB starts at 60m. I expect that is what we will get, maybe SLDB but that may complicate things too much with the reducer

8 hours ago, Stuartn said:

In seriousness though, perhaps a new string piece will be introduced

Just longer ones. Normal braided string for the 42082 is 3 m long, I think this thing will need at least 12 m, given the multiple revs. I already see the frustration of sariel and complaining about this fiddly task :D

Edited by Jundis

What I'm most curious about as of this point is how Lego deals with the sheer complexity of the winches involved. If Lego were to actually include a derrick and luffing jib. 4 winches will be required at the very least. On the real crane all the winches seem to be quite close together, so I wonder how simplified everything will be. 

https://www.liebherr.com/external/products/products-assets/241295/liebherr-crawler-crane-p393-lr-13000-bp-p393-e02-2011.pdf

On second thought, I'm not so sure the AT-AT racks would work well here. If this set, like the BWE, RTC, and Liebherr, uses a 60T turntable at the center of a rack-ring, which is important for strength, the 60 internal teeth of the rack gear would mesh exactly with the turntable teeth, leaving no teeth at all to control rotation with, which would be inconvenient...

48 minutes ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

the 60 internal teeth of the rack gear would mesh exactly with the turntable teeth, leaving no teeth at all to control rotation with, which would be inconvenient...

The 60z turntable has a diameter of 7 studs, while the ring formed by AT-AT gear racks will have an inner diameter of 9 studs. I don't think they will even make contact.

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen