11 minutes ago, Bricktrain said:

The Derrick is built upside down in front of the crane then flipped over so the rams that can be seen on top of it hang off of it to pick up the ballast tray.  There are also Hydraulic backstops on the LRs which allow the boom to operate at much higher angles than other Cranes nearly 90degrees.

I see, that's good info, thank you.

7 minutes ago, Aleh said:

Let me disagree with you - derrick boom with several sections in size om 42042 boom will "weight" 150-200 parts,  using 500 barts we can develop cool luffing jib, consisting of three separate booms. And the half goes to the superstructure (counterweight feature). It may be simple.

Well you would know better than me.  But I guess the operative phrase here is "it may be simple."  Its not that I don't think it can be done in this amount of pieces, but if it is it will be just as you say, simple.  Nothing to really justify the price point.  What I am saying is if the price point is correct, then I think there will be more pieces, if the pieces count is accurate there will be more pieces, details, etc.  

18 hours ago, Gimmick said:

The procedure in this forum is usually:

1. First leak -> escalation

2. Creating the wildest fantasies

3. Second leak does not match those fantasies -> the great depression

4. Set is released -> it's not like the second leak, but not as good as the wild fantasies -> mediocre mood

;-)

This seems to be the general pattern here, yes :grin:

Anyway, he part count indeed seems quite low for the price, but I expect there to be some new parts and probably a lot of C+ electronics (two hubs and 6-8 motors) so without knowing details, it's hard to say it's impossible to say if the price is justified. The machine itself is cool and interesting, and even if I decide against buying it, I'm happy that there's some proper, highly functional construction equipment still being released in the Technic line.

Btw., TLG really seems to have a thing for "biggest in it's class" type of machinery now, as there's the 42100 and 42131 and now this...

5 minutes ago, howitzer said:

Btw., TLG really seems to have a thing for "biggest in it's class" type of machinery now, as there's the 42100 and 42131 and now this...

I guess it sells.

36 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

Yes.  Agreed.  Perhaps even smaller than 42042.    If 42042 had ~1400 pieces, and this only has ~2800,  ~1400 for back mast, extension jib, and derrick ballast does not seem like a lot.  IMO, something has to give.  We have wrong information on something.  Price.  Piece count.... something.  

For what it is worth though... this set may be somewhat unique... something we have been clamoring for for awhile.  The only other mobile crane we have that has extension jib, back mast, etc. was 8288 if I am not mistaken.  Not motorized.  No mobile derrick ballast.  Although overpriced, as a lover of cranes, this may be a set I pick up.  

Yeah, even for a 1.5 meter crane the base will probably be not huge. But I wonder if there will be some new pieces for the booms. There's a lot of beams and pins that would normally go into a 1.5 meter crane, at 2800 pieces I'm thinking there's probably some new piece that allows beams to be strongly connected at all weird angles. Or maybe something like a single piece 7x11 frame with triangular trusses moulded into it. Like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGcfIc4ZI8y8DYDVjdcha

combined with this:

23625.png

A hundred or so of these would explain the relatively low piece count and higher price. I assume they would want to build it strong enough to not break into a million pieces if it ever fell over, such pieces would help with that.

I must admit I am getting more and more intrigued by this set. As the real crane uses mostly cables and winches it shouldn't be too difficult to make this somewhat mechanically realistic as well as being quite capable.

Edited by allanp

8 hours ago, Richombx said:

I’m pretty sure promobricks originally said 42131 was 2x hubs and 7x motors.

I’m going to need a source on this. I can’t remember it was ever said to have two hubs.

2 hours ago, allanp said:

But I wonder if there will be some new pieces for the booms.

I hope so. Really would be a big deal imo.  Up the ante so to speak for technic cranes....

No way this thing will be done with so "few" pieces for this price tag, unless there are some very huge girder pieces instead of liftarm-built solution.

34 minutes ago, Jundis said:

No way this thing will be done with so "few" pieces for this price tag, unless there are some very huge girder pieces instead of liftarm-built solution.

Yeah, they are already existing: 64448 and 64449. No need to reinvent the wheel. Oh and a few of the 73843 2x6x2 counterweight bricks.

5 hours ago, allanp said:

Yeah, even for a 1.5 meter crane the base will probably be not huge. But I wonder if there will be some new pieces for the booms. There's a lot of beams and pins that would normally go into a 1.5 meter crane, at 2800 pieces I'm thinking there's probably some new piece that allows beams to be strongly connected at all weird angles. Or maybe something like a single piece 7x11 frame with triangular trusses moulded into it. Like this:

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcRGcfIc4ZI8y8DYDVjdcha

These in a smaller angle would be a good new piece
FI 6 wide and 24 long

Edited by JaBaCaDaBra

6 hours ago, nerdsforprez said:

Well you would know better than me.  But I guess the operative phrase here is "it may be simple."  Its not that I don't think it can be done in this amount of pieces, but if it is it will be just as you say, simple.  Nothing to really justify the price point.  What I am saying is if the price point is correct, then I think there will be more pieces, if the pieces count is accurate there will be more pieces, details, etc.  

First of all I don't know either - it's simply assumption, speculation :)
Secondly - I hope that the either parts count will be higher OR price will be lower, anyway, price per part can't be 1,5 times higher than average, imho

I think we'll end up with two battery boxes in this set, and I think both will be used as counterweights.  My guess is that all motors will be in the superstructure (maybe one or two in the boom too), and power to the left and right tracks will pass through the center of the turntable, like 8043.

11 hours ago, allanp said:

Yeah, even for a 1.5 meter crane the base will probably be not huge. But I wonder if there will be some new pieces for the booms. There's a lot of beams and pins that would normally go into a 1.5 meter crane, at 2800 pieces I'm thinking there's probably some new piece that allows beams to be strongly connected at all weird angles.  As the real crane uses mostly cables and winches it shouldn't be too difficult to make this somewhat mechanically realistic as well as being quite capable.

I would also hope for a new connector for joining multiple liftarms, also the new alternating beams in yellow.  A longer beam, maybe 21 would also be great.

There is always the possibility this set might come with the 6 port hub and rechargeable battery that costs $400aud. The powerboom would be the least fragile for lego to replicate as I still can’t see lego replicating a boom that will surely lead to complaints.

27 minutes ago, Richombx said:

6 port hub and rechargeable battery that costs $400aud.

I find it such a hilarious joke that a single hub like that costs $400AUD

7 hours ago, Bricktrain said:

I would also hope for a new connector for joining multiple liftarms, also the new alternating beams in yellow.  A longer beam, maybe 21 would also be great.

I don't think so

There’s moc’s I like but refuse to pay $300 for a buwizz Let alone ones that require more than one so I’m not keen of single components that drive prices way up. I spent probably $1400 on my efferman mod 42100 and I’ve got a slightly modified 42131 which I think really is a outstanding kit and decent value with its looks, functionality and build experience but I can’t see myself paying $1000 for a 2900 piece crane. 

1 Technic hub, 4 motors in the superstructure.
2 for the tracks with axles through the turntable.
1 motor for the LA's of the derrick
1 motor for all winches and a massive gearbox that selects them

The price will be indeed 600 cause there is a smartphone included or a new designed physical control.

(taking cover right now):laugh_hard:

Edited by JaBaCaDaBra

21 minutes ago, JaBaCaDaBra said:

new designed pfysical control

Interesting idea actually! As much as I'd like that, I think there is really no need in such a set. The track movement will be motorized but will be so slow that there is no need for a haptic control, same goes for the boom and hook.

17 hours ago, R0Sch said:

Yeah, they are already existing: 64448 and 64449. No need to reinvent the wheel. Oh and a few of the 73843 2x6x2 counterweight bricks.

Those two are not great for Technic builds though, as they don't have any perpendicular connection points and their dimensions are even rather than odd, which makes them hard to use with other Technic parts. I'd put my money on a new girder piece.

31 minutes ago, howitzer said:

I'd put my money on a new girder piece.

Dito. Given the dimensions of 1.5 m, Lego would make the right choice to bring up new, big girder pieces (15 studs long, 7x7 studs base). Otherwise, it would be a very repetitive building experience (with normal liftarms) or very unstable construction (with the mentioned pieces available).

7x7 is the size of 42042 boom sections so hopefully will be larger than that. I doubt it would be as big as 15x15x45 but that is possible with existing parts and very strong.fb_img_1642932651281.jpg

for sure the boom will be in the region of 15x15 .  but the new trackplates will be 10 wide  , there will be new funny angle parts like the 55615  . the geometrics of triangles are not very friendly with standard lego lenghts  .  the possibilty to make insert 13x13 mast therefore is not possible whitout making another set of adapting angle connectors.  The partcount is probably more than 2882  unless there are new big parts moulded  making it less universal parts . the mention of height  is also very modest  , it will be sure over 180 cm.    Building cranes is not easy , you learn quick that  weight is only good in the lower part of the crane and a strong boom can not be extended still being strong because of the weight. in real life the tube parts in the lower section of boom is thicker steel and the upper parts thinner, while a flying jib is also in reality made of very thin light tube . thats why  modern cranes use  insert size jibs , so they store inside the bigger main boom sections during mobilization.  

Edited by craneson
typos