42146 - Liebherr LR13000

2882 pieces

$599.99

Available August 2022

From promobricks.de

Probably the most impressive set of the upcoming LEGO Technic 2022 summer novelties of the second half of the year will be a huge crane. It will probably be a Liebherr LR 13000, which in real life is the most powerful crawler crane in the world with a load capacity of 3000 tons. The maximum system length of the crane is 246 m, which also makes it the largest crawler crane of all time.

• Set number:  42146
  • Designation:  [Liebherr LR 13000]
  • Number of parts: 2882
  • Release date:  [01. August 2022]
  • Availability:  LEGO
  • Recommended age:  18+
  • MSRP:  $599.99

And the LEGO model will probably be just as impressive: we expect it to be at least 1.50 m tall, making it a real eye-catcher in any Technic collection. It is currently known that the number of parts should be 2882. According to our information, the crane will cost US$599.99, making it by far the most expensive Technic model and even the fifth most expensive LEGO set ever.

The discrepancy between price and part count (over 20 cents per part) can probably be explained by the use of a lot of electronic Control+ elements. Also, it's possible that LEGO used a lot of large moldings for the crane's lattice masts, driving the price up and the part count down. Unfortunately, we can't say with absolute certainty at the moment whether the impressive set will also be released in August, or whether it will be  released later in the fall, like the 42131 CAT D11 Bulldozer .

Go nuts

Edited by Ngoc Nguyen

definitely liebherr crawler crane, with the new tracks, tracktensioner and also a smaller bearing/turning ring

We have a Control+ Excavator (2019), a hauler (2020) and a dozer (2021). My money is on a front loader. Seems every second year is a complex set. 2021 we got the dozer (complex set), and 2020 we had the Hauler (simple set relatively). A four channel front loader with some added stuff like a new light kit for Control+ would be another relatively simple set, and it is the nex natural thing to play with the other 3 construction sets.

I would however love to see a sett with pneumatics and motorized valves! That would be a must buy if there ever was one! :)

If the flagship is a loader, the next big tyre and rim will be produced. Producing fancy new molds and parts seems to be the trend for the Technic lineup these years.

The Volvo L350F is the biggest front loader in the Technic line up so far, but it's not the biggest in the world, so it makes sense that TLG wants to go for an XL loader.

In the photo, the tyre of the L350F has the diameter of approximately the height of an adult.

maxresdefault.jpg

The tyre of the biggest loader in the world, the CAT 994K,  the diameter of twice the height of an adult.

maxresdefault.jpg

The XL loader must have something to justify the size. Assuming it has one hub with 4 ports, I have some ideas:

- 42030 setup: one motor for drive, one motor for steer, one motor for bucket lift, one motor for bucket tilt.
- 42131 setup: one motor for drive, one motor for steer, one motor to switch between a gearbox with two or three functions. The functions can be bucket lift, bucket tilt. Maybe a motorized ladder.
- 42114 setup: one motor for drive, one motor for steer, one motor to switch between driving gears and bucket lift, and one motor for bucket tilt.
- 42070 setup: two motors for power, one motor for mode switch, one motor for gear switch. In the drive mode, the two motors for power will drive and steer, and a third motor will switch between gears. In the bucket mode, the two motors will lift and tilt bucket.
- 8043 setup: three motors for power, one motor for mode switch. In the drive mode, the three motors for power will drive and steer and maybe move the ladder.. In the bucket mode, the two motors will lift and tilt bucket.

I'd prefer a 42070 setup.

How about giant forklift with 8110 tire? Chain drive fork lifting can justify part count.

Lego-42082-Model-D-Heavy-Forklift-1.jpg

Like this

On 1/13/2022 at 4:28 AM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

If the flagship is a loader, the next big tyre and rim will be produced. Producing fancy new molds and parts seems to be the trend for the Technic lineup these years.

The cat 994k isn’t the biggest loader in the world

Edited by Milan
Do not quote whole block of images and text, please.

7 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

- 42030 setup: one motor for drive, one motor for steer, one motor for bucket lift, one motor for bucket tilt.

This seems the best for me. No switching between functions.

I don't think adding gearbox in the drive train makes sense, it's not long distance travelling vehicle (like 42114 Hauler)

8 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

The XL loader must have something to justify the size. Assuming it has one hub with 4 ports, I have some ideas:

- 42131 setup: one motor for drive, one motor for steer, one motor to switch between a gearbox with two or three functions. The functions can be bucket lift, bucket tilt. Maybe a motorized ladder.
- 42114 setup: one motor for drive, one motor for steer, one motor to switch between driving gears and bucket lift, and one motor for bucket tilt.
- 42070 setup: two motors for power, one motor for mode switch, one motor for gear switch. In the drive mode, the two motors for power will drive and steer, and a third motor will switch between gears. In the bucket mode, the two motors will lift and tilt bucket.
- 8043 setup: three motors for power, one motor for mode switch. In the drive mode, the three motors for power will drive and steer and maybe move the ladder.. In the bucket mode, the two motors will lift and tilt bucket.

I'd prefer a 42070 setup.

Besides new wheels and bucket, what new parts and innovations would there be? 

At the risk of diving straight into wish list territory :blush:, this is posted only as an example to make a point, but while we are speculating about a front loader, and what it could be, what about Allanp's ultimate dream pneumatic option?! With spike hub (a new Technic version, recoloured yellow and black and with high power output), new P(OWAH!) motor (matching buggy motors fast output power and speed but in standard form factor, not weird L shape) driving fake engine that's always on, but turned down to use less power when nothing else is engaged, 3 small motors for pneumatic valves (bucket lift, bucket tilt, steering), 1 small motor to automatically engage/disengage a new, high output compressor from the engine via a new friction clutch, final small motor to control new, more realistic transmission (also possibly utilising friction clutch via simple cam arrangement to make shifting easier). Also comes with new +o+ beam that's 1 stud thick with integrated metal bearing race in the middle hole to help handle the new P motor and friction clutch. This set would also help showcase two control+ supplementary accessories (not required but very nice upgrades sold separately), a high output 11.1v LiPo rechargeable battery pack and a huge playstation style physical remote with integrated 5.5 inch touch screen and bluetooth and wifi connectivity, giving you all the pros of PU, tactile feel and will continue to work for decades after PU/control+ is no longer supported or Legos current in thing. These would be very expensive items available separately from lego.com that you only have to buy once to use with all your PU (and beyond) sets. If control+/PU can't be cheap, then make it worth while with these accessories!

Again, apologies for going into wish list territory. But after 3 control+ (and only control+) flagships in a row this is what I want, doesn't have to be exactly what I posted above that's just an example, but something new, not an existing set but repackaged in the shape of something else, something to get really excited about.

30 minutes ago, Mikdun said:

This seems the best for me. No switching between functions.

I don't think adding gearbox in the drive train makes sense, it's not long distance travelling vehicle (like 42114 Hauler)

But again, that's just 42030, the parts and instructions for that are all easily available, why do we need it?

Edited by allanp

20 minutes ago, allanp said:

But again, that's just 42030, the parts and instructions for that are all easily available, why do we need it?

One could say that 42114 is simply 42030-B with some added bells and whistles along with an extra axle.

14 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

One could say that 42114 is simply 42030-B with some added bells and whistles along with an extra axle.

At least TLG added something. They will always add or try to add sth to the XL version.

38 minutes ago, allanp said:

Besides new wheels and bucket, what new parts and innovations would there be?

That's what baffles me too. All I can think of is a gearbox either to switch between different speeds or different functions. The CAT 994K has a motorized ladder apparently, so that might also be a function.

Its hard to see anything here but really wish lists.  But I am not immune to posting my own   :blush:

I am a huge fan of cranes. I never seem to tire of building new renditions.  My hope is for a crawler crane with the CAT tracks....

Just now, nerdsforprez said:

Its hard to see anything here but really wish lists

Hence the word "Speculation" in the title. With so little information available at the moment, there's really nothing to discuss and every discussion will soon turn to wishlist & speculation. So I might as well make this a wishlist & speculation thread from the first place. :laugh:

29 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Hence the word "Speculation" in the title. With so little information available at the moment, there's really nothing to discuss and every discussion will soon turn to wishlist & speculation. So I might as well make this a wishlist & speculation thread from the first place. :laugh:

Yup... exactly.  You know, I think I kinda was too critical in the past of these "speculation" threads.  But it is kinda fun.  I am joining the party :grin:

1 hour ago, allanp said:

At the risk of diving straight into wish list territory :blush:, this is posted only as an example to make a point, but while we are speculating about a front loader, and what it could be, what about Allanp's ultimate dream pneumatic option?! With spike hub (a new Technic version, recoloured yellow and black and with high power output), new P(OWAH!) motor (matching buggy motors fast output power and speed but in standard form factor, not weird L shape) driving fake engine that's always on, but turned down to use less power when nothing else is engaged, 3 small motors for pneumatic valves (bucket lift, bucket tilt, steering), 1 small motor to automatically engage/disengage a new, high output compressor from the engine via a new friction clutch, final small motor to control new, more realistic transmission (also possibly utilising friction clutch via simple cam arrangement to make shifting easier). Also comes with new +o+ beam that's 1 stud thick with integrated metal bearing race in the middle hole to help handle the new P motor and friction clutch. This set would also help showcase two control+ supplementary accessories (not required but very nice upgrades sold separately), a high output 11.1v LiPo rechargeable battery pack and a huge playstation style physical remote with integrated 5.5 inch touch screen and bluetooth and wifi connectivity, giving you all the pros of PU, tactile feel and will continue to work for decades after PU/control+ is no longer supported or Legos current in thing. These would be very expensive items available separately from lego.com that you only have to buy once to use with all your PU (and beyond) sets. If control+/PU can't be cheap, then make it worth while with these accessories.

You got carried away a little :laugh: but that's close to my wish list too. :pir-huzzah1:

Ok, let´s go nuts. I would love to see electric motor + pneumatic set again. Finally electrical pneu pump, I would love to get air tank and maybe new part like over-pressure valve. One can dream...

14 hours ago, tomfow said:

Ok, let´s go nuts. I would love to see electric motor + pneumatic set again. Finally electrical pneu pump, I would love to get air tank and maybe new part like over-pressure valve. One can dream...

Control+ controlled Pump+Tank unit with integrated manometer to run the pump motor only when the pressure drops lower some threshold and possibuty to see the pressure in the app? Ouuhhh I would love it))) 

What about a backhoe? Been a while since the last one, and we have no PF or control+ backhoes... 2800 parts give quite a few possibilities, Especially now that we have both Large and mid size tractor tires...

On 1/14/2022 at 4:33 PM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Imagine this kind of ladder in Technic

I like my coffee like i like my ladders - with a billion single failure points

Edited by Bartybum

2005 - Mobile Crane
2007 - M. Bulldozer
2010 - M. Excavator
2013 - M. Crane II
2014 - Loader
2016 - Bucket
2018 - Red Crane
2019 - Liebherr
2020 - Hauler
2021 - Bulldozer

hmmm there were never two tracked vehicles right after each other. (So it is good rule to break :D ) so I would bet on some wheel car ..loader? Big loader? :D