Ngoc Nguyen

42145 - Airbus H175 Rescue Helicopter

2 hours ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

It is indeed an illegal connection. I had trouble modeling that part when I built the model in Studio. 

In the end, I had to nudge the 7L liftarm up and the 3L liftarm down for an intersection of half a pin hole to form.

I do believe this is a first?  Not an illegal connection per se, rather an illegal connection with a flex axle going through it.....?   Not sure, but I have not seen it before...

On 8/8/2022 at 6:46 PM, Johnny1360 said:

Has anyone tried this, I am considering trying it but it will require a fair amount of disassembly for me at this point.

After messing around a bit more, I can say all this does is prevent the rotor blades from tilting as far down in the front and in no way changes the operation of the linkage, so not worth the effort, I don't even think it is an error.

Also I thought I was posting in the mods and fixes thread, sorry, wish I could move my posts there. 😜

Unsure how revelant to the topic it is but there was a pricing error (up until yesterday) on the romanian lego shop listing this set at 210 ron (or 42 euro). 

Managed to grab one and it arrived today, unsealed and in bad shape but seems complete.

airbus2.png

airbus1.png

On 8/10/2022 at 8:27 AM, Johnny1360 said:

After messing around a bit more, I can say all this does is prevent the rotor blades from tilting as far down in the front and in no way changes the operation of the linkage, so not worth the effort, I don't even think it is an error.

Also I thought I was posting in the mods and fixes thread, sorry, wish I could move my posts there. 😜

And after a fair bit more messing around, it turns out I misread where the half bush goes, got it right now, lol and I will be utilizing this fix for now, as it does make a difference in how the rotor head moves.

Edited by Johnny1360

Not sure this is allowed or not but I just found this set for $169.99 at Costco (84043).  I indulged myself on a few more :-)

They appeared to have several other sets from the recent August 1st wave and they were all priced ~20% below what the Lego website shows.  I'm guessing Costco just ordered these in bulk long ago prior to all the price hikes and just missed the memo.  Works for me!

Good for you. Btw those who bought and are now using the set for couple a weeks (or more) how's the single motor coping with all the blade functions? Any particular phenomena others should note about? 

On 8/18/2022 at 9:36 PM, blbills said:

Not sure this is allowed or not but I just found this set for $169.99 at Costco (84043).  I indulged myself on a few more :-)

They appeared to have several other sets from the recent August 1st wave and they were all priced ~20% below what the Lego website shows.  I'm guessing Costco just ordered these in bulk long ago prior to all the price hikes and just missed the memo.  Works for me!

I jumped on Costco.com a couple of days ago when I read this and was disappointed they didn’t even have it listed. Then I forgot all about this until I just happened to be shopping there today.  Yep, a whole shelf of the helicopters at USD $169.99. 

I don’t often see price breaks on full retail in a US shop. 

Edited by Chmashdehjare

On 7/14/2022 at 10:01 PM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

Drivetrain of rotors in slow mode

o7xYTpG.png

Common gear ratios are (20/16 x (8/24) x (12/20), then x (12/28) for main rotor and x (20/12) for tail rotor.

Drivetrain for rotors in fast mode

CxSGeas.png

Common gear ratios are (20/16), then x (12/28) for main rotor and x (20/12) for tail rotor.

Thanks for doing this.  That means that the speed from gear one to two is very different.  Gear one (low gear) is almost 10:1; gear two is nearly 2:1 per @Sariel's gear calculator

13 minutes ago, nerdsforprez said:

Also, is it only me or does the motor seem to struggle a bit in the high gear? 

It takes a few seconds to get going with jerky movement, but after that it spins quite nicely.

Yes....it's the sound to me that is concerning. It definitely drops a few octaves.  Also....the rotorhead is tilted forward, it drops even more. Indicating, at least to me...even further struggle. Anyone else notice this?

I've got a question / remark on the friction dampening used on the cyclic lever(s):

In step 142 a 3L red friction pin is inserted into two beam. In step 143 a 8-tooth  gear is addes that connects to the axle of the cyclic control.
I found this very stiff, alost not turning at all. Instead the beams were twisting. I therefore replace the 3L red pin by a 3L black one.

How do you rate the friction on your model / build?

14 hours ago, anyUser said:

In step 142 a 3L red friction pin is inserted into two beam. In step 143 a 8-tooth  gear is addes that connects to the axle of the cyclic control.
I found this very stiff, alost not turning at all. Instead the beams were twisting. I therefore replace the 3L red pin by a 3L black one.

That pin with friction is required to make the collective pitch not collapse by itself due to gravity.

On 9/13/2022 at 10:45 AM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

That pin with friction is required to make the collective pitch not collapse by itself due to gravity.

I just finished the model.

You are right: the collective lever will return to the lowest position from the weight. But I don't mind since the control appears to be adequate.

On 9/5/2022 at 1:00 PM, nerdsforprez said:

Also, is it only me or does the motor seem to struggle a bit in the high gear? 

In high gear, the motor struggles because it is geared up

Building one now and also like it a lot. Really interesting mechanics.

However I do have a question, what is the idea behind the new gears (https://rebrickable.com/parts/69779/technic-gear-20-tooth-with-axle-hole-opening/ and https://rebrickable.com/parts/69778/technic-gear-12-tooth-with-axle-hole/ )? Then don't seem to add any value; they are just the same as the 20 and 12 tooth bevel gears but with less flexibility. Only reason I could think of why TLG should still make gears without "bevel" should be for chains, or am I missing something here?

If you put the old 12t and 20t bevel gears right next to a liftarm the teeth would sometimes rub against the pin holes. That doesn’t happen with the new 12t and 20t gears because the teeth are slightly offset.

On 9/12/2022 at 7:49 PM, anyUser said:

I've got a question / remark on the friction dampening used on the cyclic lever(s):

Built that yesterday and I experiencend that connecting also as much too tight. My solution was to grind down the red pin a bit by using sandpaper. Works like a charm now. 

Edited by Frequenzberater

21 hours ago, LvdH said:

If you put the old 12t and 20t bevel gears right next to a liftarm the teeth would sometimes rub against the pin holes. That doesn’t happen with the new 12t and 20t gears because the teeth are slightly offset.

While this is certainly true, I don't think it is the fundamental reason why the old double bevels run rough. I think there is a problem with the mould of the tan 20t double bevel specifically. Even with optimal bracing and bushes either side of it to prevent the above problem, it sticks badly, especially when turning a 16t, and most especially a red clutch 16t. Black ones are not as bad, and older LBG and LG hardly have the problem at all. I've no idea why. The new gears do not have this issue.

Edited by aeh5040

23 minutes ago, aeh5040 said:

While this is certainly true, I don't think it is the fundamental reason why the old double bevels run rough. I think there is a problem with the mould of the tan 20t double bevel specifically. Even with optimal bracing and bushes either side of it to prevent the above problem, it sticks badly, especially when turning a 16t, and most especially a red clutch 16t. Black ones are not as bad, and older LBG and LG hardly have the problem at all. I've no idea why. The new gears do not have this issue.

I haven’t experienced the issues with driving the 16t gears personally. I do know is that LEGO changed the mould of the 20t bevel gear 7 or 8 years ago (something like that). This was years after they retired the gray bevel gears and replaced them with black and tan. It’s the newer version that is especially rough. The new version of the black and tan one are both affected, the older ones run fine just like the gray ones.

Rebrickable also has two versions of this part listed. Here’s the old one: https://rebrickable.com/parts/32269/technic-gear-20-tooth-double-bevel-with-axle-hole-type-2-x-opening/
Scroll down for the newer version and a graph of when the change occured.

Here’s a somewhat recent thread discussing the issue:

Edited by LvdH