Ngoc Nguyen

42145 - Airbus H175 Rescue Helicopter

27 minutes ago, dhc6twinotter said:

I’ve seen a few more pictures, and there is definitely a new five-sided swash plate.  The cockpit has both collective and cyclic controls as well.  

The proportions are a bit goofy, but I love that Lego actually has collective and cyclic in this model.  It’ll probably be the first Technic set I’ve purchased since the Xerion. 

Looking at the photos promobricks released, it appears that there's no cyclic pitch control, but a collective control along with tilting of the rotor, similar to 8856. Operating them from the cockpit is cool though.

From the pics the tail boom seemed ever so slightly bent downwards.

Looks and feels (pleasingly) Technic-y :thumbup:

Edited by thekoRngear

At this time, I am very pleased to report that we now officially have clearer, higher-resolution images of the new set. And with that news comes a plain and clear visual of the new lower swashplate element. 

The new lower swashplate piece consists of a ring with five Technic pin holes around it, into which towballs can be inserted. This new piece will be used to rotate the rotor. Additionally, It has also been officially confirmed that this swashplate will indeed be able to tilt, meaning that this helicopter will indeed have cyclic pitch. :)

LEGO_42145_Rotor_Function.png

Edited by HydroWorld Outlook

Ah yes! Liking the cock pit controls, there does appear to be both cyclic and collective controls, and they are dual controls too! I'm not sure what happening on the image, it does look like the whole rotor head is tilting 8856 style, there's even an arrow to say it tilts that way, but still I'd be a little surprised if that was the case. If it does make any wind at all then the different rates of attack as the rotors turn will likely cause some slight tilting of the main head. Besides I think it's just a difficult function to describe in one photograph as it's something that changes with time. 

"See how the different parts work together - just like they do in a real helicopter"

That's looking to be true! And if that's true then see how this mechanical fan boi sprints to his nearest Lego store day one of its release!

I'm impressed. Despite the fact that it looks somewhere between a Barramundi fish and a shoe, I would actually consider buying this set. I'm looking forward to reviews.

3 minutes ago, allanp said:

If it does make any wind at all then

I doubt they'll have the main rotor spinning fast enough for the blades to generate any appreciable thrust.

Surprisingly TLG use 1x32054+2x32523+1x98585 for slip clutch on winch. I see lot of people use this combination clutch but this is first seen in offical model!

so, 2 battery box levers, 3 gearbox levers, 4 cockpit levers, 2 sliding doors and 400 parts more than 42113, whats not to like :)

I'm really surprised with the swashplate function. If this is in fact what we are seeing, this is a big step forward. 

It will be mine for sure.

Just the tail rotor to fix. But it is an easy fix.

Thanks TLG.

Definitively a proper swashplate and not a tilting rotor - notice the angle between the swashplate and the rotor mast (vertical).

Spoiler

42145_WEB_SEC06_NOBG.png?width=1000&form

From here it seems like the swashplate sits on another new piece - some sort of angled drum that serves as the lower swashplate.

Excited for this set! Hope it isn't the last helicopter with the swashplate piece.

These new swashplate elements are almost if not exactly a five-blade resurrection of the older four-blade swashplate elements from 1991.

2 minutes ago, HydroWorld Outlook said:

Yes, I already described that new piece in my previous post. These new swashplate elements are almost if not exactly a five-blade resurrection of the older four-blade swashplate elements from 1991.

What do they use to constrain the swash plate motion, do you know? Is it a ball with a hole through it?

7 minutes ago, technicfanatic said:

What do they use to constrain the swash plate motion, do you know? Is it a ball with a hole through it?

Possibly. I would suppose there would be some sort of lower assembly with a turntable attachment that allows the rotor to spin while its being tilted. Maybe the drive axle has a universal joint to transfer the moving rotation. But we won't know for sure until a scattered-out parts image (a photo of someone building the set with the parts scattered out all over the table, like the ones we got for previous sets) or the official parts list is released. Like the one that was just posted a few seconds ago.

Never mind, it was just posted above.

I think this set -along with the heavy tow truck- looks like a perfect example to TLG that you don't need a huge set to make a good set. 

I start to see this set as some kind of updated reincarnation of the 8856 back from 1991. 

1 hour ago, Kaanere said:

Definitively a proper swashplate and not a tilting rotor - notice the angle between the swashplate and the rotor mast (vertical).

Reveal hidden contents

42145_WEB_SEC06_NOBG.png?width=1000&form

From here it seems like the swashplate sits on another new piece - some sort of angled drum that serves as the lower swashplate.

Excited for this set! Hope it isn't the last helicopter with the swashplate piece.

I wonder if there will be 3 and/or 4 blade swash plate elements in future?!

3 minutes ago, allanp said:

Perhaps at some point, but not likely anytime soon. TLG doesn't like to repeat sets of the same theme and scale (Edit: unless it's a car) very close to each other, so probably the next helicopter will be much smaller scale, which wouldn't allow swashplate functions.

Edited by howitzer

59 minutes ago, HydroWorld Outlook said:

These new swashplate elements are almost if not exactly a five-blade resurrection of the older four-blade swashplate elements from 1991.

Hmmmm not quite but close. At least these new swash plate parts should be able to slide vertically for the collective pitch control. They are usually held in place via a somewhat complex set of linkages, that also work as a sort of mixer. It'll take the two separate cyclic/collective controls from the cockpit and mix them together to control the swash plates tilt side to side, front to back as well as up and down.

2 minutes ago, allanp said:

Maybe, but I rather don't think so. The number of blades doesn't add any functionality, just aesthetics. Also, it requires some extend of mechanisms and complexity, so I don't expect to see it in smaller kits, which would be a reason to expect in fewer number of blades. 

Just now, howitzer said:

Perhaps at some point, but not likely anytime soon. TLG doesn't like to repeat sets of the same theme and scale (Edit: unless it's a car) very close to each other, so probably the next helicopter will be much smaller scale, which wouldn't allow swashplate functions.

Yeah probably not soon but TLG also don't like parts for only one set so they'll want to reuse them somehow.

22 minutes ago, allanp said:

Not impossible, but if they want to keep the 5 blade swashplate for their next helicopter they still have a few options. From their past licenses Airbus produces the H145, H155, H160 and H225, while Bell has the 525. Plus the options of other manufacturers and unlicensed helicopters.