Wonder if this 🐕 will use the orange-peel grab parts from 42006 and 42042? They're woefully underused in my opinion, having appeared in only two sets in just under a decade.

1 minute ago, Maaboo35 said:

Wonder if this 🐕 will use the orange-peel grab parts from 42006 and 42042? They're woefully underused in my opinion, having appeared in only two sets in just under a decade.

On 1/12/2022 at 1:15 PM, Ngoc Nguyen said:

At its front end there is a gripper with 4 claws.

Most likely yes.

And it could be based on Jeep tires...raising cab and undercarriage like on 42053 set?

1 minute ago, 1gor said:

And it could be based on Jeep tires...raising cab and undercarriage like on 42053 set?

I'd say the tyres for this 🐕 are more likely to have road tread.

4 minutes ago, 1gor said:

undercarriage like on 42053 set?

42053's undercarriage has a dozer blade in the front and two outriggers in the back, while this set has 4 outriggers in the front and back, apparently. 42053's one is also designed for the battery box integration, while this set's one will probably not.

5 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

I'd say the tyres for this 🐕 are more likely to have road tread.

Like 49.5 x 20?

(Could look very nice :wub: also)

3 minutes ago, Ngoc Nguyen said:

42053's undercarriage has a dozer blade in the front and two outriggers in the back, while this set has 4 outriggers in the front and back, apparently. 42053's one is also designed for the battery box integration, while this set's one will probably not.

I didn't mean literally, but something similar...thanks for more details. :thumbup:

Oh lovely! Pneu set! Still no sign of Air Tank (damn I would love Air Tank again...)

Notice it says that it comes with several pneumatics, two of them are grey. This is excellent news, not only are we getting different coloured pneumatics, but that description sounds to me like those 2 grey cylinders aren't the only two. Of course I'm looking forward to this one!

Very happy to hear we're getting another pneumatic excavator :wub:, but I wonder how many cylinders this one will have.

The pessimist in me predicts that since there's only supposed to be two grey cylinders, those will be the two for the boom and stick, with one extra in the claw. For this really high price (compared to 42053) I would really hope that the outriggers and the adjustable cabin are also pneumatic, especially considering that it isn't motorized...

47 minutes ago, allanp said:

but that description sounds to me like those 2 grey cylinders aren't the only two.

I dunno, when I stick it into Google Translate it sounds like they are the only two :S

Edited by Bartybum

@Bartybum It is a fairly high price for the number of pieces. The inclusion of only a few pneumatics wouldn't normally affect the price to parts ratio that much in a non motorised model, like 42128. That was still well under 10 cents per piece.

"The set contains several pneumatic cylinders, including two gray ones for the first time"

This bit makes me think there's more than the two grey ones however...

"and are responsible for the movements of the gripper arm"

this bit suggests only the arm is pneumatic.

So for the 2 theories. Either there's a whole bunch of pneumatics (including for the stabilisers, claw and lifting the cab for a total of 8 cylinders), or they saw the selling figures of 42128 an decided they could charge more! Of course I hope the first theory is correct but you already know either way it's a day one purchase for me! :grin: But there does seem to be some discrepancy somewhere as the price, part count and description of only he arm being pneumatic doesn't quite add up. Maybe it does have motor with osprey battery box? Maybe it isn't only the arm that's pneumatic? Maybe the price is in Canadian dollars? Looking forward to seeing this one. 

12 minutes ago, allanp said:

This bit makes me think there's more than the two grey ones however...

Oh sorry, I wrongly interpreted the other guy's comment as "it sounds like there's more than just two grey cylinders"

Unless something changes drastically, it looks like there's another sure buy set for the latter half of this year.

It all sounds just like 42053, but with only 71% of the part count this must be so much smaller. But the price tag does not really match, and to think that 42053 was even a licensed set...

1 hour ago, Gumalca said:

It all sounds just like 42053, but with only 71% of the part count this must be so much smaller. But the price tag does not really match, and to think that 42053 was even a licensed set...

If you consider inflation, 42053 is about 0,12 cents/part, while 42144 would be around 0,15 cents. Yeah, it's more expensive but not hugely so. But as we know, part count isn't a great metric, if there's any "expensive" parts included, like electronics, pneumatics, linear actuators, large/complex moulds etc. so we can't judge the price very well at the moment, so much is unknown.

21 hours ago, 1gor said:

Like 49.5 x 20?

Or maybe even eight of the new 49.5 x 14? This would look seriosly cool :-)

I really like this scale and new pneumatic elements are always welcomed. Best set of the summer wave for me.

Just now, Jundis said:

Or maybe even eight of the new 49.5 x 14? This would look seriosly cool :-)

That didn't cross my mind to be honest; yes it could be cool indeed. I agree that this set is very interesting; probably the best in summer (and autumn) wave

Yes, its gonna be something roughly similar to 42053 Volvo EW160E but 835 parts is enough for such model?

Edited by sp1984

5 hours ago, howitzer said:

If you consider inflation, 42053 is about 0,12 cents/part, while 42144 would be around 0,15 cents. Yeah, it's more expensive but not hugely so. But as we know, part count isn't a great metric, if there's any "expensive" parts included, like electronics, pneumatics, linear actuators, large/complex moulds etc. so we can't judge the price very well at the moment, so much is unknown.

We can judge based on a similar set, which is what Gumalca is doing

The Google translation of the Promobricks page says, "The set contains several pneumatic cylinders, including two gray ones for the first time".  That might mean we have more than just the two grey cylinders.  Maybe there is a grey cylinder for the boom, a grey one for the stick, and a small yellow one for the grapple.  That's how I read it anyway.  

How the stabilizers move will be interesting.  I doubt we will have four additional pneumatic cylinder for the stabilizers, and I think they will most likely be driven by a worm gear and knob on the side, or maybe they just have a simple over-center locking lever system.  I'm happy to be wrong though.

15 minutes ago, dhc6twinotter said:

The Google translation of the Promobricks page says, "The set contains several pneumatic cylinders, including two gray ones for the first time"

Hate to burst everyone's bubble, but "including 2 gray ones" reads to me as: 2 gray actuators and 1 blue pump.

Of course I hope I'm wrong, but I don't count on more if this is all the info we have. Too high expectations is only setting oneself up for disappointment later. The key to happiness is low expectations :)

Edit: but good to see a new pneumatic set coming, in the year after the tow truck. I really hope (but don't expect ;) ) this to be a yearly thing.

Edited by Erik Leppen

57 minutes ago, dhc6twinotter said:

The Google translation of the Promobricks page says, "The set contains several pneumatic cylinders, including two gray ones for the first time".

We certainly can't be certain about anything at this point, but an alternative reading could be that it will include several cylinders, including two types in grey for the first time.

All this talk is making me think I should rebuild my 42053, which is a super set. And that there may be little point in getting this one if it is pretty similar. 
For those that didn’t get 42053, if this is as well implemented, could be a great buy (although seems pricey, I got a good discount in the Volvo). 
A 4-claw grabber could be tricky to implement with pneumatics, may end up manual, like 42042, which would be less appealing.