Well, I was hoping for Bugs Bunny and his legendary "what's up Doc?" 

Is there a significant inconsistencies in the price variation across the EU? Because @kbalage claims in his video that the Tow Truck and the Material Handler have the same price currently, while here the Tow Truck is more expensive at 108€ (42144) and 134€ (42128) for the lowest non-discount retail prices and 140€/180€ for prices at leco.com/fi. The Tow Truck is still obviously a better deal for its parts, but it would be pretty weird to have it at the same price as the Material Handler...

5 minutes ago, howitzer said:

Is there a significant inconsistencies in the price variation across the EU?

In Netherlands 101€ 42144 and 125€ for 42128 (Amazon.de) . Prices are without shipping.

2 minutes ago, kbalage said:

@howitzer I was comparing the US price as I mentioned in the video, and if you check it on lego.com the Tow Truck and the Material Handler are both listed for $150. 

Thanks for the clarification! That's still weird pricing though.

1 minute ago, howitzer said:

Thanks for the clarification! That's still weird pricing though.

The assumption is that the Material Handler is already listed with the price increase included, but the Tow Truck will be increased later (August/September). But I think even after the price increase the Two Truck will remain a much better deal :) 

44 minutes ago, kbalage said:

The assumption is that the Material Handler is already listed with the price increase included, but the Tow Truck will be increased later (August/September). But I think even after the price increase the Two Truck will remain a much better deal :) 

Do we know that 42128 will still be available by the end of this year? It's been out for almost a year now.

3 hours ago, zoo said:

Do we know that 42128 will still be available by the end of this year? It's been out for almost a year now.

Man I sure hope so, I only just last month finally picked it up, first time I have seen it on the shelf too, since it first came out. I like the set well enough to get a second copy but it seems a bit difficult to keep in stock.

Now building the Material handler using on line Lego Instructions. Using parts I have available, which will mostly be Yellow.

I had to order a few parts in order to start building the Chassis unit. p/n 11455 Cross block beam with holes. 8pce.

Stage 1 :- Chassis unit.
Completed using mainly DBG beams and a hunt for the correct tyres & hubs.

52280282491_9a7731db08_c.jpgIMG_8816

Stage 2:- in progress.

As I did not have the new blue air pump I had to devise a way to use the older yellow air pump and
and install it without interfering with the rest of the build, After a lot of trial & error I achieved this.

52280548554_cc444ea664_c.jpgIMG_8813

Also I did not have the long curved yellow panel, (p/n 6334499) so I had to devise something similar. Control cabin assembly added.

Also I only have two of the new air switches (6099773) Additional Control valve is on order - awaiting delivery.

Building the boom arms and claw next. NB the claws are NOT shown in the on line parts list !!!!

52280282726_9205cd77b3_c.jpgIMG_8817

Stage 3:- boom arms & air hoses, after an extensive search I final found where I had stored them.

As I am using the on line instructions its hard to determine how long each hose has to be.

Now found hose lengths using Brickowl & Lego i.d. part numbers

Edited by doug72

Finally the outstanding Pneumatic Valve has arrived in the post after 7 days since order placed. !!!

Now fitted and all functions tested OK.

Comments:- Not worth the Lego price.

Total cost of my build, using spare parts = £10 UK.

An interesting build and frustrating at times especially when installing the air hoses.

Under carriage flexes downwards when air pump is used. Best to support it by hand underneath when using the air pump.

The model really needs an air tank reservoir Extra support for the air pump cylinder fitted,

Very likely will be broken down to use parts for the GBC contest.

52290883667_66355cb28c_c.jpgIMG_8819

52291862563_e90be44f00_c.jpgIMG_8818

Edited by doug72

Nice model, but the US price is ridiculous and the same as the tow truck. It would have been a good set for $80-90, not $150. The dark gray cylinders are neat though and I can see several uses for them in space models where the yellow would not fit in.

It's worth mentioning that 60t turntable in this set is new mould, not the same as in 42053 and 42043.
It has straight teeth, not beveled:

298697752_1062621371076267_6320262983114

3 minutes ago, M_longer said:

It's worth mentioning that 60t turntable in this set is new mould, not the same as in 42053 and 42043.
It has straight teeth, not beveled:

It has been discussed. Wonder why TLG thought this necessary.

23 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

It has been discussed. Wonder why TLG thought this necessary.

To be honest that bevel ring did not worked perfectly in 42043 under high load made by hoses.

The price of 42144 at Smyths UK dropped from RRP £105 to £80 so I bought a couple of them.
Not sure if it would ever go lower but that would be welcome.  If £30 of RRP were for the 7 pneumatic pieces then that would be £23 of the £80 and £57 for the rest is 6.9p/p.
The set has fewer panels than most but £80 for 8 functions seems OK.

Mark

Does your set drop the boom by itself after several hours too?
Sariel mentioned the lower piston is badly stressed, I tend to agree there - it drops even if I open the other two valves..

This is common with the LEGO pneumatic system: even if all switches are closed, it slowly loses pressure over time.

4 hours ago, AVCampos said:

This is common with the LEGO pneumatic system: even if all switches are closed, it slowly loses pressure over time.

That's true, but on the other hand, I've had the 42128 on the shelf for many months with the boom up. Load matters a lot.

2 minutes ago, howitzer said:

Load matters a lot.

Yes, also true, This is most noticeable with all LEGO crane booms, and one disadvantage of pneumatics over LAs.

5 minutes ago, howitzer said:

That's true, but on the other hand, I've had the 42128 on the shelf for many months with the boom up. Load matters a lot.

It is not as loaded and is supported a bit by air hoses connected underside (they pushed it up a bit).

6 hours ago, GTS said:

Does your set drop the boom by itself after several hours too?
Sariel mentioned the lower piston is badly stressed, I tend to agree there - it drops even if I open the other two valves..

Even real life hydraulics will lower over time. But one component I think is missing from pneumatics is a simple, in line one way valve. What happens is, when you raise the boom, then select another function but you still have the valve for the boom raise open, air can flow back out of that valve as the pressure in the whole system drops. You can prevent this by closing one valve before opening another, but a better way would be to have a one way valve on the input port of the valve to prevent air being able to exit from the inlet port.

1 hour ago, allanp said:

Even real life hydraulics will lower over time. But one component I think is missing from pneumatics is a simple, in line one way valve. What happens is, when you raise the boom, then select another function but you still have the valve for the boom raise open, air can flow back out of that valve as the pressure in the whole system drops. You can prevent this by closing one valve before opening another, but a better way would be to have a one way valve on the input port of the valve to prevent air being able to exit from the inlet port.

Could that be done with the old distribution block part? It can easily function as a one-way valve.
https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=4692&name=Pneumatic Distribution Block 2 x 4 with Non-return Valve&category=[Pneumatic]#T=S&C=9&O={"color":9,"iconly":0}

3 hours ago, 2GodBDGlory said:

Probably, but that's really big part, hard to hide inside a model. A proper one-way valve could be much smaller, probably as small as the hose connector. I don't see TLG creating such a part though.