5 minutes ago, Parazels said:

I do not understand why people are praising the new grey cylinders. 

Technic always had specific colors for specific parts, why to change that?

Would 8880 have looked better with grey suspension and grey wheels?

Honestly the most important is that you are safe during Russian aggression and colors are second rank...recolor is probably because something that is upcoming and people like changes

Welcome back 

49 minutes ago, Parazels said:

I do not understand why people are praising the new grey cylinders. 

Technic always had specific colors for specific parts, why to change that?

Would 8880 have looked better with grey suspension and grey wheels?

For me the new colour on pneumatic cylinders is a welcome change since grey will look better together with many more colours than the yellow ones.

The 8880 does have grey shock absorbers but blue wishbones. Why would it have grey wheels? Not sure of what you mean here.

50 minutes ago, 1gor said:

Honestly the most important is that you are safe during Russian aggression and colors are second rank...recolor is probably because something that is upcoming and people like changes

Welcome back 

Thanks 

For some strange reason, this set use double bevel version of 20t gear for cabin lifting while non-bevel 20t also can work for same function.

12 minutes ago, zoo said:

For me the new colour on pneumatic cylinders is a welcome change since grey will look better together with many more colours than the yellow ones.

The 8880 does have grey shock absorbers but blue wishbones. Why would it have grey wheels? Not sure of what you mean here.

Sorry, but I can't recall any model with yellow cylinders, which would have looked better with grey cylinders.

15 minutes ago, Parazels said:

Sorry, but I can't recall any model with yellow cylinders, which would have looked better with grey cylinders.

I think basically any model that's not yellow. Even yellow JCBs have mostly black hydraulic cylinders. In real life the hydraulics are usually colour matched to the vehicle or black/dark grey. 

5 hours ago, ace_klimax said:

TLG has plan to release pneumatic backhoe? are there some of this rumours?

I would be tempted.

but funny thing, 2 months ago i just finished backhoe loader from 42082 set (so no pneumiatic, but just lineart actuators), inpired by JCB Sitemaster 4CX/5CX or CAT 444F2

more here:

https://bricksafe.com/pages/klimax/42082-backhoe-tractor

@grohl has a YouTube channel where he recently did a live stream. During the QnA he was asked about a backhoe. Of course he can't confirm or deny anything about future product development, he could only share his own enthusiasm for a big back hoe, and he certainly seemed very enthusiastic about it. 

One thing's for sure, they recolored those cylinders for something bigger, and not just for that waste handler

On 7/16/2022 at 10:11 AM, Polarlicht said:

One thing's for sure, they recolored those cylinders for something bigger, and not just for that waste handler

Yeah, something is coming (probably) in a year or two. I hope that'll include other sizes of the pneumatic cylinders too in this new colour.

I wouldn't mind only yellow cylinders, but non-yellow ones have existed for years in education sets, with various transparent housings.

On 7/15/2022 at 4:43 PM, Parazels said:

The Volvo 42053, the Arocs 42043...

33 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Are you kidding guys? The yellow cylinders in 42043 and 42080 looked great! 

I think, you are too obsessed with building ultrarealistic models. It's Technic, not Creator Expert!

Edited by Parazels

On 7/15/2022 at 4:43 PM, Parazels said:

11 hours ago, mpj said:

The Volvo 42053, the Arocs 42043...

11 hours ago, Maaboo35 said:

11 hours ago, Parazels said:

I think, you are too obsessed with building ultrarealistic models. It's Technic, not Creator Expert!

Now this is what they call "opinions". Apparently, people disagree. And that's fine. Not everyone who disagrees is "obsessed" with anything. They simply have another idea about colorful models and color matching. And you can't argue about taste.

Personally I'm very happy with the gray cylinders, because I always hate it how every pneumatic model has to cope with yellow suddently being a color in the model. Gray is much easier to combine with anything.

Also, I wish pneumatic would find a use one day in a creator expert set ;)

4 minutes ago, Erik Leppen said:

We need a Creator Expert Chevy Impala lowrider like right now :) 

2 hours ago, Erik Leppen said:

Given that Technic used to be studded, why not?

14 hours ago, Parazels said:

I am definitely not obsessed with building "ultrarealistic models". The colouring has to do with general aesthetics, nothing to do with a desire to copy real life machines.

15 minutes ago, zoo said:

I am definitely not obsessed with building "ultrarealistic models". The colouring has to do with general aesthetics, nothing to do with a desire to copy real life machines.

That goes double for 42080. Although the grey rams would add realism on the EW160E.

5 hours ago, kbalage said:

We need a Creator Expert Chevy Impala lowrider like right now :) 

Or a titanic sized pneumatic flying Scotsman?

On 7/16/2022 at 1:03 AM, allanp said:

I think basically any model that's not yellow. Even yellow JCBs have mostly black hydraulic cylinders. In real life the hydraulics are usually colour matched to the vehicle or black/dark grey. 

Yellow cyls worked perfectly fine on the Arocs. Perfect to contrast the red crane and add some flavour to the grey/white

Edited by Bartybum

6 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

add some flavour to the grey/white

Really depends on the model. If we say black, LBG and DBG are more of secondary colours which fit everywhere, a model shouldn't have more than 2, max. 3 primary flashy colours, or it really gets messy imho.

Many pneumatic models where yellow for a reason: Construction machinery. As more and more colours are available for technic, yellow pneumatic doesn't always fit. Right now, I am building a Claas Torion wheeled loader with pneumatic, just because the new cylinder are soon available in DBG. With yellow cylinders, I would have chosen another vehicle.

8 minutes ago, Jundis said:

Really depends on the model. If we say black, LBG and DBG are more of secondary colours which fit everywhere, a model shouldn't have more than 2, max. 3 primary flashy colours, or it really gets messy imho.

Many pneumatic models where yellow for a reason: Construction machinery. As more and more colours are available for technic, yellow pneumatic doesn't always fit. Right now, I am building a Claas Torion wheeled loader with pneumatic, just because the new cylinder are soon available in DBG. With yellow cylinders, I would have chosen another vehicle.

I thought you could make Torion full RC (it has basically the same functions as 42030 set). Do you plan 1:17 version based on Xerion tires, or 1:23 based on Zetros tires? (I suppose first because of red rims)

23 minutes ago, Bartybum said:

Yellow cyls worked perfectly fine on the Arocs. Perfect to contrast the red crane and add some flavour to the grey/white

I mean, of course the Arocs is perfect in every way! I'm not going to argue with that :laugh: but there are some that liked every set having their seats and steering wishbones coloured blue as that was the usual Technic tradition. Maybe it'll take a bit of getting used to. But TBF I still miss my studded technic and motors with no internal gearing :laugh:

Cylinder colour has to be taken on a model-by-model basis. The EW160E may be yellow, but it's a model that would benefit from the grey rams because the real thing has them. The Arocs on the other hand, as mentioned by @Bartybum, benefits from the yellow rams due to its otherwise muted colour palette. Plus Palfinger cranes often have yellow markings so it fits.

42080, conversely, NEEDS the grey rams. As for this 🐕, I think the grey rams make it look a bit washed out. The yellow rams would make it look a bit brighter.

18 minutes ago, 1gor said:

I thought you could make Torion full RC (it has basically the same functions as 42030 set). Do you plan 1:17 version based on Xerion tires, or 1:23 based on Zetros tires? (I suppose first because of red rims)

Will be full RC and 1:17ish, but it will not have a bucket  ;-) New thread will come as soon as I finish the Mecalac...

Back to topic: The 42144 somehow left me unimpressed. The only cool things are the DGB pneumatics and the bucket mechanism, the rest is pretty standard in every aspect:

- technicality/functions: Same as 42053
- looks: Below average
- parts: Only DGB pneumatics is interesting
- stability: is present, but seems flimsy

Edited by Jundis