Does anybody remember the Technic 8837 Excavator from 1992?  It was a pretty basic wheeled excavator set, but one really neat feature was how the superstructure slew and steering worked.  The same knob (or beacon light in this case) worked both the slew and steering.  Pushing the beacon down engaged the steering, and pulling the beacon up disengaged the steering and engaged the boom slew gearing.   It was really neat.  I'd kinda like to see LEGO do something like that again, just for the sake of changing things up a bit.

18 hours ago, howitzer said:

If you consider inflation, 42053 is about 0,12 cents/part, while 42144 would be around 0,15 cents. Yeah, it's more expensive but not hugely so. But as we know, part count isn't a great metric, if there's any "expensive" parts included, like electronics, pneumatics, linear actuators, large/complex moulds etc. so we can't judge the price very well at the moment, so much is unknown.

42053 was licensed, has pneumatics with the ability to have power functions added and had a excellent B model so I’d say that it’s got this new kit covered. I have the grab claws to convert mine to a scalp handler but haven’t sat down and done it so I’m just hoping how ever it’s done on the new one I can pretty much steal it😂

2 hours ago, Richombx said:

42053 was licensed, has pneumatics with the ability to have power functions added and had a excellent B model so I’d say that it’s got this new kit covered. I have the grab claws to convert mine to a scalp handler but haven’t sat down and done it so I’m just hoping how ever it’s done on the new one I can pretty much steal it😂

What are you gonna do if the claw on this 🐕 just happens to be manual? :cry_sad:

11 hours ago, dhc6twinotter said:

Does anybody remember the Technic 8837 Excavator from 1992?  It was a pretty basic wheeled excavator set, but one really neat feature was how the superstructure slew and steering worked.  The same knob (or beacon light in this case) worked both the slew and steering.  Pushing the beacon down engaged the steering, and pulling the beacon up disengaged the steering and engaged the boom slew gearing.   It was really neat.  I'd kinda like to see LEGO do something like that again, just for the sake of changing things up a bit.

Yes, a kit like 8837 would be really good; a small-enough kit with at least 2 pneumatic functions.  Great way to bulk-buy, for those of us who like pneumatics!

Also heaps better than putting wind-up motors in a medium-sized set.  That's more of a "wind-up AFOL" exercise!  I tried a couple but their use is limited; we need simple, inexpensive motor and battery operation.

Mark

13 hours ago, dhc6twinotter said:

Pushing the beacon down engaged the steering, and pulling the beacon up disengaged the steering and engaged the boom slew gearing.

10yo me's problem with that was pulling on the beacon too hard so the 8z at the bottom came off.

Overall, I am kind of baffled. What other functions should Lego implement, not been present at the 42053? Only thing would be a automatic pneumatic system with a dumb battery box. Otherwise, the price is way to high. I mean just compare both sets:

42053:    1166 pieces       90€ (with inflation about 100€)

42144:      835 pieces     140€

Arguable, the pneumatic doesn't seem to inflate the price very much, at least the 42128 with over 2000 parts for only 170€ is an example. 

Another thing: I'd really hoped for the use of the turret ring made out of the new racks instead of the big turntable, but given the lower piece count in contrast to the 42053, I'll doubt it.

You can expect at least 3 pneumatic cylinders, two of them are grey. It seems to me that the grey ones operate the boom and its extension and there should be a small yellow one for the claw. 

Please notice, that at the moment it is impossible to verify if this is even the final form of this set. It seems to be to expensive for its piece count (compared to the 42128) and the colour of the model could change as well (remember the white Zetros?). According to our latest information, 3 of 4 sets of the summer wave should be red (Ferrari, waste handler and Airbus H175) - what are the odds! 

Greetings :)

@Jundis I agree that the price seems too high, but your comparison is not correct. 140 is the reported USD(!) price for the waste handler. The USD price for 42053 was 120$ according to brickset. So from 120 to 140 would be the usual price increase over the years... if part count remains roughly the same. But since part count is way lower there should be some more expensive parts in here, that's where I agree too. But I have no idea what kind of parts.

3 hours ago, Gumalca said:

@Jundis I agree that the price seems too high, but your comparison is not correct. 140 is the reported USD(!) price for the waste handler. The USD price for 42053 was 120$ according to brickset. So from 120 to 140 would be the usual price increase over the years... if part count remains roughly the same. But since part count is way lower there should be some more expensive parts in here, that's where I agree too. But I have no idea what kind of parts.

Ah, you are right.

As @Brick-a-brac said: We are still in speculation if the mentioned piece count and price fits. We'll sure get more info soon. 

3 hours ago, Brick-a-brac said:

Please notice, that at the moment it is impossible to verify if this is even the final form of this set. It seems to be to expensive for its piece count (compared to the 42128) and the colour of the model could change as well (remember the white Zetros?).

If we consider the initial leaks of the Zetros and the CAT (which seems to come from a similar source), even the main parts / concept / piece count might change so I wouldn't start long speculations based on all these :) 

I hope there will be something else than just two large and one small pneu cylinder. Cabin will be most likely manual as with 42053. Arm seems to be with 3 cylinders as 42053...hmm I would like to see something to make it little more unique than 42053 with claws from 42042/42006.

2 minutes ago, Maaboo35 said:

Stonewars has priced this 🐕 at €99.99.

And they wrote it will be red / black combination... this might be most interesting set this year

I was hoping for this model in Blue, would have contrasted nicely with the new grey cylinders.  Depends on boom length which look longer than on normal excavators, it might need dual cylinders for the main boom lift?

wheel-excavators-mhl-335-fuchs.jpg

19 minutes ago, paul_delahaye said:

I was hoping for this model in Blue, would have contrasted nicely with the new grey cylinders.  Depends on boom length which look longer than on normal excavators, it might need dual cylinders for the main boom lift?

42053 doesn't use dual cylinders and that can lift just fine. Seeing as this set seems to be a stripped-back version, I very much doubt it uses more than one piston for the lift.

100 Euro is an acceptable price for this set. Can't wait for the pics. Hope we get the 2 of the longest pneumatic cylinders and many switches.

Edited by R0Sch

If it were on a similar basis to 42128 then 835 parts with pneumatics should cost £69.99 RRP.

71% of the parts count of 42053 means it would be scaled down from that size, assuming it has 3 arm/claw functions, turntable, steering and outriggers.

Given the shape of the real waste handler, perhaps 42144 will include pairs of the 1/5 cylinder, seeing as 42128 has 2x 1/11 and 1x 2/11 cylinders, leaving the 1/5 currently unused?
Redoing the body of the 1/5 in grey would make sense if there were 4 of them in the set - better use of the batch, meaning more leeway to do a new colour.

2/6 was always the most useful for pushing the levers of other valve switches, so I hope that size would be revived soon.
I'd really like TLG to make a new cylinder connection piece, as 8421 had for the older 2/6 cylinders.
Combined with a new 2/6 cylinder having the 2/11 cylinder bottom shape, that would lend itself to 2/13, 2/19 and 2/22 combinations.

Mark

13 hours ago, Brickthus said:

71% of the parts count of 42053 means it would be scaled down from that size, assuming it has 3 arm/claw functions, turntable, steering and outriggers.

Not necesarly, 42053 used many smal pieces, including System plates and files, so if this use "pure Technic" schne, it may have simplified strcucture made a less number of bigger parts, still remajnjng in the similar scale. 

35 minutes ago, Void_S said:

Not necesarly, 42053 used many smal pieces, including System plates and files, so if this use "pure Technic" schne, it may have simplified strcucture made a less number of bigger parts, still remajnjng in the similar scale. 

There is a total of 57 system pieces in 42053 and that’s including 2x2 round plates and modified 2x2 with pin, steering wheel and lights so that’s not a lot of system. Also it’s all very small parts so it’s not a great deal of the kits structure so the amount of pieces less will 100% affect the build

According to the latest pomobricks livestream (which I watched with captions auto translated to English so might not be perfect) this set will have 3 pneumatics, 2 large ones in dark bley and one small one for the grabber in yellow.

9 minutes ago, allanp said:

According to the latest pomobricks livestream (which I watched with captions auto translated to English so might not be perfect) this set will have 3 pneumatics, 2 large ones in dark bley and one small one for the grabber in yellow.

Will they be long or short versions of the cylinders? It's been a while since the last large short ones were seen in a set...