As @blondasek mentioned LEGO updated the digital instructions for the Ferrari recently, now most of the major errors are fixed. There are still some issues left, so apart from following the online instructions I suggest to check this list, it contains the fixed and remaining errors. If I missed something please let me know and I'll update the list :) 

Is the Ferrari chassis the best 1:8 chassis from LEGO to date? Highest rigidity/weight ratio. If you where to build a 1:8 scale car with one of the official LEGO chassis as starting point, which would you choose?

For those based in the UK, Argos has a great deal on this car.

£262.50, and 10% with the code LEGO10 so £236.25

Hello, finally I have assembled my Ferrari.

Different shadows of red connectors - ok

Several errors in building instructions - ok

Spare panels - OK

But why my rear hood does not keep opened?

2 hours ago, Aleh said:

Hello, finally I have assembled my Ferrari.

Different shadows of red connectors - ok

Several errors in building instructions - ok

Spare panels - OK

But why my rear hood does not keep opened?

It´s all not OK, in my humble unbiased opinion :pir-classic:. Why does the clamshell not stay where it belongs? Because it´s high temperature in Billund or because it´s simply poor design.

Easy fix: remove the 1L beam / sleeve and leave the pin naked (blue circle) or replace by an axle pin:

250x250.jfif

Edited by brunojj1

2 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

It´s all not OK, in my humble unbiased opinion :pir-classic:. Why does the clamshell not stay where it belongs? Because it´s high temperature in Billund or because it´s simply poor design.

Easy fix: remove the 1L beam / sleeve and leave the pin naked (blue circle) or replace by an axle pin:

Sure, that's all is no ok and should not took place, especially in flagship model.

I was investigating if I did any error in hood construction..

1 hour ago, LvdH said:

€60 instead of €80 (still way overpriced imo).

Regardless of content, €60 seems near the median price of any coffee table book in full color with premium binding. Perhaps it's the very notion of a coffee table book that seems... uhm... redundant? :sweet:

I thought, maybe something has been left in some regional stock, but i see it also in LV available.

11 hours ago, Jockos said:

Is it possible they print some more books as it's unnumbered?

From the lego website :

"Please note, unlike the original edition of this book, this version has a glossy hard cover. It is not a limited edition and does not come with a slipcover case"

so yes ;)

26 minutes ago, R4ph said:

From the lego website :

"Please note, unlike the original edition of this book, this version has a glossy hard cover. It is not a limited edition and does not come with a slipcover case"

so yes ;)

Thank you! Amen to that.

I've got an option to buy the Ferrari for 300€ (new) and I'm wondering if that's a good enough price or not. Help!

33 minutes ago, howitzer said:

I've got an option to buy the Ferrari for 300€ (new) and I'm wondering if that's a good enough price or not. Help! 

That sounds like a good price for the current stage in product life. You might get a lower price only if you set a price alert at a 'meta-search' website and wait patiently for a few more months for a sudden discount. If you want it now, get it now. :)

Here in Switzerland it was ~260€ for one day last week (Black Friday). Now back to ~300€, has been so since October.

Ok, so I bought it after all. I'm not really a car person and I've never built a UCS set before, so I have no experience-based prior expectations, just comparisons to "normal" Technic sets. I'm about halfway into building it and here are some of my impressions on the set:

The box arrived intact, as it was protected by properly fitting outer packaging, which is nice. The set's own box looks nice and I like the shaping, it's much easier to handle than those of some other large sets (such as 42082) I've had. It was sealed with three tapes, two on one of the longer sides and one on one of the shorter sides, which is pretty baffling. Also the sealing tapes were easy to peel off without leaving a mark (and could be put back if I wanted to) so they're not really indicative of possible tampering of the set. The three inner boxes are nice also, I like the non-square shaping and the prints. It's a nice touch and makes the set feel premium. Lots of packaging though, so I'm kinda ambivalent about this, as reducing waste would be good.

It was nice that the instructions includes some background about the set and the real car, and also something about the design process. Even more would be nice, but then there's also the separately sold coffee table book, which hopefully contains more of this. The building process itself is really enjoyable and mostly feels well thought-out, but the mistakes in the instructions are annoying. My copy didn't have any updates to the original instructions so I don't know if they have updated it for later production, as they have with the digital instructions. There's some baffling parts too, such as one part where you build mirrored sections for each side, but the build order is different for each side. Result is the same, but usually such builds tend to be identical in build order.

The gearbox is complex and the shifting mechanism is really satisfying, though there's significant amount of resistance when spinning the axle with gears engaged. I tried to build it carefully, but there's just so many gears and axles that significant resistance is probably unavoidable. The steering angles seem a bit shallow, though I'm not sure if the real car has a great turning radius either. Also, I'm not sure about the real car, but is the steering wheel really supposed to be vertical? Or should it be angled up slightly? Being vertical it's of course easier to build but feels kinda cheap, unless that's also the case for the real car. Lack of HOG steering is also a disappointment.

Anyway, here's some thoughts about it for now, let's see what the second half of building brings.

38 minutes ago, howitzer said:

The set's own box looks nice and I like the shaping, it's much easier to handle than those of some other large sets (such as 42082) I've had.

On the other hand it doesn´t suit the other formats, which comes inconvenient once you´ve started collecting and displaying the boxes in a row. 

40 minutes ago, howitzer said:

The gearbox is complex and the shifting mechanism is really satisfying, though there's significant amount of resistance when spinning the axle with gears engaged. I tried to build it carefully, but there's just so many gears and axles that significant resistance is probably unavoidable. The steering angles seem a bit shallow, though I'm not sure if the real car has a great turning radius either. Also, I'm not sure about the real car, but is the steering wheel really supposed to be vertical? Or should it be angled up slightly? Being vertical it's of course easier to build but feels kinda cheap, unless that's also the case for the real car. Lack of HOG steering is also a disappointment.

And did you notice it has an engine with pistons moving, exactly like in the real car :laugh: ? The gearbox is pretty the same as in the Bugatti and Lambo which came prior to this (still being flawed). The "cheap" vertical steering wheel has always been the same since the Porsche. OK, you are building such a UCS for the first time - enjoy it as much as you can anyway :wink: ! Seriously, I love to have all of them in my collection because they are the best representation to my taste available, no matter what. 1x of each assembled in the showcase + at least 1x of each as parts pack for building MOCs.

26 minutes ago, brunojj1 said:

On the other hand it doesn´t suit the other formats, which comes inconvenient once you´ve started collecting and displaying the boxes in a row. 

And did you notice it has an engine with pistons moving, exactly like in the real car :laugh: ? The gearbox is pretty the same as in the Bugatti and Lambo which came prior to this (still being flawed). The "cheap" vertical steering wheel has always been the same since the Porsche. OK, you are building such a UCS for the first time - enjoy it as much as you can anyway :wink: ! Seriously, I love to have all of them in my collection because they are the best representation to my taste available, no matter what. 1x of each assembled in the showcase + at least 1x of each as parts pack for building MOCs.

True about the box, hard to please everyone I guess.

Yeah, I noticed the pistons, but they are the same as in my Airtech Claw Rig from 1992, so that's something I've seen before :laugh:

Anyway, I'm enjoying the build and when finished I'm going to admire and showcase it for a while before disassembling it for parts. Unless something really groundbreakingly awesome happens, I don't see myself buying another UCS car in the foreseeable future (they are pretty expensive anyway). 

@howitzer As you didn't have any of the UCS cars before then it's good to treat yourself to at least one. I only wouldn't recommend the Ferrari to anyone that has got any of the previous UCS cars already because there's not that much difference mechanically. I don't have this car (or it's gearbox), but I have built the Sian gearbox which is pretty much the same, and I was so disappointed to see they used the same kind of gearbox in the Ferrari, it was that which drove me to make my own bloody parts! And yes, the vertical steering wheel always felt "cheap" to me also, though it never feels cheap to my wallet. And these larger, much heavier cars are using the same length of steering arm as you get in the smallest sets, with a pivot to ball joint centre to centre distance of 16mm (2 studs centre to centre), the steering in all these cars feels cheap and spongey, like it's all made of rubber, whereas in 8880 and all the cars before it the steering felt pretty solid and much better. And while HOG might be unrealistic mechanically, I really don't mind it as it's an unrealistic addition as opposed to being an unrealistic replacement. 

Here's my wishlist for the next UCS car (Y'all know all this already, but if TLG is watching!)

1) A completely new approach, redesigned from the ground up. The Ferrari is too similar mechanically to the Sian, which itself was only tweaked from the Chiron.

2a) Better gearbox, use my own concept if you must (search for user Radbot1 on youtube) but please give use better parts. These gearboxes (not just the UCS cars) are far too complex with far too many moving axles and gears.

2b) A better view of the gearbox in action. The Airbus helicopter has a slow speed to allow us to see the blades moving. With better gearbox parts you can add a motorisation option (maybe with the wheels jacked up off the ground like 8448) so you can spin the wheels fast and hear that "brrrrRRRRRRRR click brrrrRRRRRRRR" sound as you move up through the gears, and see the wheels spinning faster and faster (like my own gearbox concept). This would be a really cool play feature to play with and show off to your mates, as well as being educational.

3) Better steering, use longer steering arms with Ackermann geometry, make the steering feel solid (have a play with 8865 or 8880 or even 8860 to feel good steering)

4) Better steering control, tilt the steering wheel upwards like in the real cars and when access to the steering wheel is poor (like in all these cars) add an additional, discreet HOG steering wheel (like 8880).

5) Give us something slightly new (old can be new in this case). Maybe have a manual stick shift instead of the flappy paddles (all previous cars had flappy paddles), but don't do it like the 8480 style shifter. Do a proper ball joint mounted gated shifter (like 8880, which felt much better than the 8480 style shifter) but with more speeds than 8880, and use a realistic linkage between shifter and gearbox instead of having the gearstick go directly into the drive rings.  

6) Maybe give us something completely new! Like a transverse mounted engine and gearbox front wheel drive car with McPherson strut suspension at the front. 

7) The subject matter doesn't.....matter! It could be the latest and most exotic hypercar at that given moment but don't limit yourself to just that. If you can do something more or something different with an older classic or even a different kind of car entirely then please do it. You can make the next UCS car be a Dodge Ram pickup, or a classic (meaning ladder frame and live axle) Landrover Defender, or a front wheel drive family car (the most common vehicle on the road and yet never attempted by TLG) if it makes for a more mechanically interesting vehicle. The choice of subject matter should be slave to the mechanical opportunities it affords, not the other way round.  

43 minutes ago, allanp said:

@howitzer As you didn't have any of the UCS cars before then it's good to treat yourself to at least one. I only wouldn't recommend the Ferrari to anyone that has got any of the previous UCS cars already because there's not that much difference mechanically. I don't have this car (or it's gearbox), but I have built the Sian gearbox which is pretty much the same, and I was so disappointed to see they used the same kind of gearbox in the Ferrari, it was that which drove me to make my own bloody parts! And yes, the vertical steering wheel always felt "cheap" to me also, though it never feels cheap to my wallet. And these larger, much heavier cars are using the same length of steering arm as you get in the smallest sets, with a pivot to ball joint centre to centre distance of 16mm (2 studs centre to centre), the steering in all these cars feels cheap and spongey, like it's all made of rubber, whereas in 8880 and all the cars before it the steering felt pretty solid and much better. And while HOG might be unrealistic mechanically, I really don't mind it as it's an unrealistic addition as opposed to being an unrealistic replacement. 

Here's my wishlist for the next UCS car (Y'all know all this already, but if TLG is watching!)

1) A completely new approach, redesigned from the ground up. The Ferrari is too similar mechanically to the Sian, which itself was only tweaked from the Chiron.

2a) Better gearbox, use my own concept if you must (search for user Radbot1 on youtube) but please give use better parts. These gearboxes (not just the UCS cars) are far too complex with far too many moving axles and gears.

2b) A better view of the gearbox in action. The Airbus helicopter has a slow speed to allow us to see the blades moving. With better gearbox parts you can add a motorisation option (maybe with the wheels jacked up off the ground like 8448) so you can spin the wheels fast and hear that "brrrrRRRRRRRR click brrrrRRRRRRRR" sound as you move up through the gears, and see the wheels spinning faster and faster (like my own gearbox concept). This would be a really cool play feature to play with and show off to your mates, as well as being educational.

3) Better steering, use longer steering arms with Ackermann geometry, make the steering feel solid (have a play with 8865 or 8880 or even 8860 to feel good steering)

4) Better steering control, tilt the steering wheel upwards like in the real cars and when access to the steering wheel is poor (like in all these cars) add an additional, discreet HOG steering wheel (like 8880).

5) Give us something slightly new (old can be new in this case). Maybe have a manual stick shift instead of the flappy paddles (all previous cars had flappy paddles), but don't do it like the 8480 style shifter. Do a proper ball joint mounted gated shifter (like 8880, which felt much better than the 8480 style shifter) but with more speeds than 8880, and use a realistic linkage between shifter and gearbox instead of having the gearstick go directly into the drive rings.  

6) Maybe give us something completely new! Like a transverse mounted engine and gearbox front wheel drive car with McPherson strut suspension at the front. 

7) The subject matter doesn't.....matter! It could be the latest and most exotic hypercar at that given moment but don't limit yourself to just that. If you can do something more or something different with an older classic or even a different kind of car entirely then please do it. You can make the next UCS car be a Dodge Ram pickup, or a classic (meaning ladder frame and live axle) Landrover Defender, or a front wheel drive family car (the most common vehicle on the road and yet never attempted by TLG) if it makes for a more mechanically interesting vehicle. The choice of subject matter should be slave to the mechanical opportunities it affords, not the other way round.  

I've been wanting to build a UCS car for a long time now, but the Chiron's and Sian's colour schemes weren't appealing at all as I will disassemble my sets sooner or later and I want parts that are usable for MOCing. So when the Ferrari was announced I felt that this could be the one. I also like that it has the new hard shock absorbers and many other new parts such as the flip flop beams and lots of new pins, not to mention the vast amount of red panels, new and old.

I completely agree with the points you made. We really need something new to freshen up the UCS car line to keep it interesting but the same also goes for other, smaller car sets. Especially considering your points 6 and 7, if they ever release a family car with transverse mounted front engine and gearbox, I'm surely going to buy it just for the novelty if nothing else.

Hello fellow LEGO Technic fans,

I made an account to ask a question about this here Ferrari. I treated myself to it because it was available for a very nice price.

Started building it, and was pretty satisfied with the building process (I made up untill step 210). But I got a bit annoyed by the gearbox, and especially gear #2 (and #6, as they're part of the same clutch).

I always check if the gears can move freely without friction etc. And during the building I started to notice that #2 (and #6) is causing a lot of friction, especially after the step where you combine the rear axle and the engine. At that point it barely wants to move (while all the other gears work flawless).

Annoyed as I was (I also was really dissapointed by the Land Rover gearbox I made some years ago, so I made it the jb70 way :pir-triumph:), I dissassembled the gearbox and started over, I wanted to make sure that I didn't make a mistake. The 2nd build it felt better than before, but still a bit stiff in #2 gear. I continued assembling and kind of ended with the same result.

Gear 1, 3, 5 & 7 are very smooth, gear 4 and 8 a little less. But 2 and 6 really cause a lot of friction compared to the others (all from turning the in going axle at the back, or when spinning the wheels).

I haven't really read about that anywhere else, but I assume that it is normal?? I hope I can get some answers here! Thanks in advance.

@shampo0o Unfortunately it is kinda normal for these gearboxes. Too complicated with too many gears on too many axles. Thankfully the new Yamaha motorcycle has some new gearbox parts which are much more true to life and have much less friction, we are hoping these will be used, with a few more gear sizes, in the next supercar. In your case however, I think all you could do is try a bit of lubricant, if you don't mind the pieces getting slippery and caked in dust as it sticks to the lubricant!

On 10/9/2023 at 9:12 PM, allanp said:

@shampo0o Unfortunately it is kinda normal for these gearboxes. Too complicated with too many gears on too many axles. Thankfully the new Yamaha motorcycle has some new gearbox parts which are much more true to life and have much less friction, we are hoping these will be used, with a few more gear sizes, in the next supercar. In your case however, I think all you could do is try a bit of lubricant, if you don't mind the pieces getting slippery and caked in dust as it sticks to the lubricant!

Thank you for the answer, yeah I can imagine that it's mostly due to the design of the gearbox itself. The culprit is just the 2nd gear where it builds up friction when spinning the wheels. If you turn a gear on the other side of the gearbox, (from the engine) it all turns smoothly. All the other gears work pretty flawless.

Altough I have to say it did get better when I rebuild the gearbox (sometimes the parts need a little bit of wear and tear too :pir-devil:). And after completing bag 2, it feels like everything works better now. Also because more rigidity in the frame makes the gears and axles more secure (especially going to the drive selector and back to the engine). I'm very happy with how it is now, but yeah this gearbox is in need for an upgrade for sure in the next supercar!

Oh right, I made one tiny change myself. But it's effect should be minimal.

I noticed that the gearbox is pretty much a carbon copy of the Sian. But in the SP3 they use the new style of gears. Which are a tiny bit larger. There is one connection where there is a 12 teeth gear directly below a red clutch gear (the one that engages 4st and 8th gear). And there is a small change they touch eachother. I swapped it with an old style 12 teeth bevel gear, and it also seems that it makes a better connection with the blue clutch gear that it connects with. It's a bit of an oversight from the side of LEGO I think. but it's not really causing any problems.

OZ2CyS9.jpg

Well, I'm off starting to continue with bag 3 :pir-huzzah1: