2 minutes ago, GirchyGirchy said:

It sounds correct - an upshift means the engine rotates slower relative to the speed of the car, not faster.  Think about driving your car...1st gear, the engine is spinning quickly but you're not moving much.  Once it gets to 6th gear, it's turning slowly but you're moving along quickly.  Try to downshift to 1st, and your engine will explode as the spinny bits try to turn 20k+RPM.  This is assuming by rotor, you mean pistons.

Regardless, yes, right is upshift and left is downshift.

I think you misunderstood me. A brake rotor is basically just another word for a brake disk. So your comment would be correct if I were spinning the brake rotors (disks), but as I said above I was basically spinning the engine via a gear directing connected to the crankshaft (just two u-joints in between). Therefore shifting up should result in a faster turning rotor.

Oof those dented wheels are bad. Very poor on such an expensive set. The colour variation in the Sian are poor, but excusable given the vagaries of the plastic mould processes. To have such a key and visible part be damaged by being in the box is inexcusable. 

Or perhaps the owner of your Ferrari was a bad parallel parker?

Re. the target audience for these, I fit right in to it. I don't do MOCs or my own designs. I enjoy constructing complex stuff that then looks cool on the shelf. The added benefit is they are cars, which I love. If we were getting 1:50 planes or 1:150 boats, I'd be less inclined to buy them. Finally I built them, so I know what's in there.

I’m with derekthetree on this. When I was a kid and actually played with Lego, the pleasure/satisfaction I got from the functional aspects of 8860 was due to the fact that it had springy wheels and the engine pistons and fan ‘moved’ when pushing the car. Back then, I’m not sure I ever registered that the speed of the engine changed via the simple 2/3 speed gearbox. One of those gears was likely reverse. Again, I didn’t notice. I was too busy building the B-model dragster for my Hulk figure to drive.

Fast-forward 40 years, and I no longer ‘play’ with Lego but not much has changed on the functionality side. I get pleasure from the complexity (in my eyes) of the build, the innovative way challenging  angles/arrangements are constructed, and the overall impact of the final piece. But while I enjoy the technical build, the final models may as well have a single speed connection from one wheel to the engine to give me the same ‘Ooh, it spins!’ buzz that I got with the 8860.

And no, adding simple functionality to a Creator range would not do it for me. They may be pretty, but the (clearly very casual) engineer in me loves just knowing that I built a complex mechanical system under the pretty skin.

So, I apologise to all the ‘real’ AFOLs here. I am clearly the sort of Neanderthal shallow-gene-pool AFOL-lite audience that Lego are targeting with these 1:8 cars. Hopefully you are able to modify the Ferrari to address it’s failings. I’ll just build the vanilla version with a big grin on my face. EDIT: Although I will incorporate Balage’s fixes to address Lego’s instruction errors!

Edited by Big Adam

11 minutes ago, Big Adam said:

I’m with derekthetree on this. When I was a kid and actually played with Lego, the pleasure/satisfaction I got from the functional aspects of 8860 was due to the fact that it had springy wheels and the engine pistons and fan ‘moved’ when pushing the car. Back then, I’m not sure I ever registered that the speed of the engine changed via the simple 2/3 speed gearbox. One of those gears was likely reverse. Again, I didn’t notice. I was too busy building the B-model dragster for my Hulk figure to drive.

Fast-forward 40 years, and I no longer ‘play’ with Lego but not much has changed on the functionality side. I get pleasure from the complexity (in my eyes) of the build, the innovative way challenging  angles/arrangements are constructed, and the overall impact of the final piece. But while I enjoy the technical build, the final models may as well have a single speed connection from one wheel to the engine to give me the same ‘Ooh, it spins!’ buzz that I got with the 8860.

And no, adding simple functionality to a Creator range would not do it for me. They may be pretty, but the (clearly very casual) engineer in me loves just knowing that I built a complex mechanical system under the pretty skin.

So, I apologise to all the ‘real’ AFOLs here. I am clearly the sort of Neanderthal shallow-gene-pool AFOL-lite audience that Lego are targeting with these 1:8 cars. Hopefully you are able to modify the Ferrari to address it’s failings. I’ll just build the vanilla version with a big grin on my face. EDIT: Although I will incorporate Balage’s fixes to address Lego’s instruction errors!

No shallow-gene-pool AFOLs here, if you're an adult and you enjoy Lego, then you're an AFOL and that should be the end of it. You're welcome to enjoy Lego your way, regardless of what some others may think of the sets - and others are welcome to enjoy it their way. That's the beauty of Lego, you can enjoy it as it is or modify/MOC the hell out of it, whatever rocks your boat.

18 hours ago, Gimmick said:

I'm not an plastic/moulding expert so I have to do some assumptions based on my limited experience with Lego parts.

And I guess: A design like yours will not work, because I assume, that the axles will bend, the friction will be enormous, the little knobb will not stay inside those grooves, the little plastic noses will get damaged everytime you disengage them.... because all those things already do happen at the currently larger scale.

I'm not considering expert myself, but I work in the plastic tools so at least have this everyday in front of me. :grin:

You are right, the friction and stiffness of plastic is way worse for this application. The mechanism will be jamming all over the place.

17 hours ago, allanp said:

My gearbox is a first sketch but axles shouldn't bend if only driving a fake engine, for motorised models you can add bracing beams between gear pairs. The friction will be much lower as there's only two rotating axles (or three for an added reverse idler gear) and no power is sent through idler gears on rotating axles.

What Gimmick is referring to are the elements that move clutches. They are asymmetrical so there will be flexing and excessive friction. It works in metal but plastic is different story.

Edited by Mikdun

21 hours ago, LvdH said:

I think you misunderstood me. A brake rotor is basically just another word for a brake disk. So your comment would be correct if I were spinning the brake rotors (disks), but as I said above I was basically spinning the engine via a gear directing connected to the crankshaft (just two u-joints in between). Therefore shifting up should result in a faster turning rotor.

OK, I see what you mean.  I know English isn't the primary language for many here, so I assumed your rotor meant something on the engine rather than the brake rotor. 

13 hours ago, Big Adam said:

Adam after the build:

renditionDownload?rendition=THUMB720BY48

I agree with you.  These are Technic sets primarily...they're complex and just aren't as pretty and shiny as the Creator cars.  And that's why I like them.

Edited by GirchyGirchy

22 hours ago, GirchyGirchy said:

Adam after the build:

renditionDownload?rendition=THUMB720BY48

Pah! That’s nothing. You should have seen me when I connected the Titanic engines up! 🍆

17 hours ago, Big Adam said:

Pah! That’s nothing. You should have seen me when I connected the Titanic engines up! 🍆

:iamded_lol::roflmao::thumbup:

Already got my replacement rims, to replace the scratched ones, delivered today. Interestingly they send my a whole set of rims, which come in a prepack of two. I now have 8 in total.

Anyone wants to see me experiment with the 4 i got left over? Like painting them in a different color?

Will post that in the Ferrari Mods and Improvments thread!

Ig5ZC42.jpg

Edited by Polarlicht

Black might be cool, but imo they already look great in silver.

Are the new ones good btw? All of mine came with scuffs around the edges, so I’ve also mailed them. I just hope they don’t send the same damaged ones like they did with the discolored lime parts in the Sian.

They were not 100% perfect either. But better than the two i showed couple of days ago.

I might try all-black or maybe a dark bluish grey (if i find a correct hue of spray paint), and later maybe a two-tone (grey and diamond cut) like on this one.

Also i wish the brake calipers would be yellow

new-ferrari-daytona-sp3-revealed-amid-no

Edited by Polarlicht

On 6/9/2022 at 7:14 AM, Mikdun said:

I'm not considering expert myself, but I work in the plastic tools so at least have this everyday in front of me. :grin:

You are right, the friction and stiffness of plastic is way worse for this application. The mechanism will be jamming all over the place.

What Gimmick is referring to are the elements that move clutches. They are asymmetrical so there will be flexing and excessive friction. It works in metal but plastic is different story.

Oh ye of little faith!

Edit: made dedicated post to discuss gearbox better and not derail this topic!

Edited by allanp

6 hours ago, williamyzfr1 said:

I did I have maxxed out my entries.

Same here. Wasting points I’m sure, but still better try I guess ?… 😔 

7 hours ago, GirchyGirchy said:

Did everyone see you can cash in VIP Points to win one of five of the first slipcase books?  They're 50 pts/entry.

Would be interesting for someone selling their book already. Then enter the sweepstakes and win. Then they can sell another; and people like me who really want one still won’t have one ?…. 😞 

I have had enough of this book I have now been let down by two Ebay sellers due to the rise in prices. Do I need this book NO did I want it YES.

I will have to get over it and hope I win a copy in the Lego draw otherwise I will have to draw a line under the whole experience.

The book situation is irritating to say the least and LEGO needs to do better. Immediately. Forget the whole numbered nonsense and make more.

Making the accompanying book to such a popular set a limited release is a terrible idea, and it only promotes scalping. 

On 6/11/2022 at 1:05 PM, Polarlicht said:

They were not 100% perfect either. But better than the two i showed couple of days ago.

I might try all-black or maybe a dark bluish grey (if i find a correct hue of spray paint), and later maybe a two-tone (grey and diamond cut) like on this one.

I'd be so tempted to do gold for that retro look.

A friend of mine got the book number 1643 or so, lucky bastard, I actually held it in my hands and was able to closely examine it, love the tire marks running across the front and back. Do you think he opened it up and looked at the inside, hell no, I even offered him $100 just to see it. No way no how, he will never open it and will likely die having never seen or sold the damn thing. I can respect that though as he is a collector but certainly not my cup of tea. 🤔

1 hour ago, RichardGoring said:

I'd be so tempted to do gold for that retro look.

Good idea. May need to buy black and gold spray paint :)

I could also try the gold sian wheels, but design and size won't work i guess. Plus, my sian wheels aren't gold anymore :D

17 hours ago, Johnny1360 said:

A friend of mine got the book number 1643 or so, lucky bastard, I actually held it in my hands and was able to closely examine it, love the tire marks running across the front and back. Do you think he opened it up and looked at the inside, hell no, I even offered him $100 just to see it. No way no how, he will never open it and will likely die having never seen or sold the damn thing. I can respect that though as he is a collector but certainly not my cup of tea. 🤔

Sheesh, it's not a Taschen Ferrari book!  Why bother? 

Regardless, not nearly as irritating as scalpers.  They ruin everything.

Couldn't agree more. 

I am looking forward to getting the actual set at some point and you can be damn sure I will not only build but modify it as well. To me that is what LEGO is all about. It will be my first super car set so I am really looking forward to the experience.