31 minutes ago, brunojj1 said:

IMO the coffee table book should have been simply a part of the premium Ferrari set, apart from the building instructions. And better keep the bulding instructions clean from marketing stuff. 

That would deter me even more from buying the set.

I'd theoretically be fine with paying 370 euro for 3700 pieces. But not 450 euro for 3700 pieces plus junk I don't want.

Edit: but I'm not the target audience anyway, so it doesn't really matter what I think :)

Edited by Erik Leppen

2 hours ago, kbalage said:

It does, unreleased items are always at the end of the list, you have to go to page 3.

It's the same in all shops, both the set and the book can be found after the currently available sets on page 2/3 of the Technic listings.

This is not an official statement from LEGO, but I got this comment on one of my Facebook posts (you might want to validate this with Customer Service again):

image.png.7bca53c3a3c1b3c3b6a8dbe8abdc0c08.png.e01b1c1f979330a874150fe8404ee989.png

Customer service is playing dumb. However a contact for the lego distribution hub for New Zealand and Australia has confirmed my thoughts on the subject.... 

1 minute ago, brickless_kiwi said:

Customer service is playing dumb. However a contact for the lego distribution hub for New Zealand and Australia has confirmed my thoughts on the subject.... 

I don't get it, so will it be available in your region or not? 

44 minutes ago, brickless_kiwi said:

No.... not available. 

So why would customer service "play dumb" by sharing the correct information? I'm sure they won't give you an exact explanation about the reasons, but they wouldn't know that anyway. 

I find the whole book special edition to be quite baffling on Lego's part.

Book print runs on the whole aren't that expensive and at the price Lego is charging I'm sure they are making a profit. I could understand that a 12" anime figure that you get with some computer games would have a much higher cost so you would likely only do one production run or some kind of metal case that again has added production costs / difficulties.

Once you have a book you can easily ask the publisher to run another batch Lego don't make any more money on any second hand sales. Also if reviewers are get unnumbered ones then there has already been at least 2 print runs.

Books tend already have a collection hierarchy whit first edition hard back etc. They could easily make a second version with a soft cover. They make more money the hard back is still rare and everyone who wants a copy is happy.

If this happens and they just trying to create a buying frenzy i fell its very against Lego's image of inclusivity for all. In general I hate exclusivity and limited editions. If you want to do a collectors edition do a pre order to find out how many are required and then let people decide on the level of spend.

Apart from the 41999 Crawler Exclusive in 2013 so 9 years ago they have never done a limited set since so they must know its was counter productive or they would be doing it all the time?

5 minutes ago, Cardboy said:

Book print runs on the whole aren't that expensive and at the price Lego is charging I'm sure they are making a profit. I could understand that a 12" anime figure that you get with some computer games would have a much higher cost so you would likely only do one production run or some kind of metal case that again has added production costs / difficulties.

Once you have a book you can easily ask the publisher to run another batch Lego don't make any more money on any second hand sales. Also if reviewers are get unnumbered ones then there has already been at least 2 print runs.

Books tend already have a collection hierarchy whit first edition hard back etc. They could easily make a second version with a soft cover. They make more money the hard back is still rare and everyone who wants a copy is happy.

If this happens and they just trying to create a buying frenzy i fell its very against Lego's image of inclusivity for all. In general I hate exclusivity and limited editions. If you want to do a collectors edition do a pre order to find out how many are required and then let people decide on the level of spend.

Apart from the 41999 Crawler Exclusive in 2013 so 9 years ago they have never done a limited set since so they must know its was counter productive or they would be doing it all the time?

4 hours ago, Peter1999 said:

It is not visible in EU shop either, but you can get to its page by searching 5007418 in shop.

I think that the book will be not limitted, just the "slipcase edition" So my expectative is that it will be available later at more reasonable prices but without the slipcase

14 hours ago, astyanax said:

Even worse, the Swiss price for the book is 109 CHF, which is like 105 euro (as opposed to the eurozone price of 80)....

2 hours ago, brunojj1 said:

Wow, that´s so shameless. But I suppose there are at least 5000 millionaires living in Switzerland alone willing to buy this? 

Well one doesn't need to be a millionaire to afford the book. :sweet: Perhaps it's more fair to see price as multiples of minimum wage.

Germany: 8x (price 80€, minimum wage 10€/h).

Switzerland: 5x (price ~105€, minimum wage* ~20€/h). 

*varies per canton, not federally defined

Of course, I'm still complaining about the price! :drunk:

3 hours ago, Cardboy said:

If you know that about 10,000 people will be interested in your book (this is a book for the Ferrari fans), it is better to sell 5,000 for 80€ than 10,000 for 20€ (the price it should realistically be sold at) ;)

As for second-hand market, much stuff is sold through BrickLink these days, which takes some % from each transaction and belongs to LEGO, so...

The book appears to be pretty high quality (hardcover, bound-back, printed on a premium quality paper etc.) so I bet they cost double-digit euros per book just to manufacture. Then they'll have to add costs of designing it, transport & storage, marketing, probably licensing fee, taxes etc. and still make some profit.

I'm not saying it's not overpriced, but I don't think they could ever sell those for 20€/piece profitably. Costs is 100€ here btw., which is way more than I'd be interested in paying for such a book, even if I was a Ferrari fan.

My guess about the limited edition thing is that there's going to be the 5000 piece numbered set of slipcase-copies, and in addition there'll be unlimited amount of non-slipcase unnumbered copies after the first 5000 is sold the reviewers getting unnumbered copies.

4 hours ago, astyanax said:

Perhaps it's more fair to see price as multiples of minimum wage.

Kinda risky in Italy where the actual minimum wage is zilch :laugh: Then again, if I'm not mistaken the book comes in English and German only, which speaks volumes about where the Italian market stands on TLG's priority list.

2 minutes ago, suffocation said:

Kinda risky in Italy where the actual minimum wage is zilch :laugh: Then again, if I'm not mistaken the book comes in English and German only, which speaks volumes about where the Italian market stands on TLG's priority list.

Wait which country was Ferrari from again?

This would make a very nice start to a 330 P4 MOC!  The rear hips are nearly there already.  I might need to pick up some old wheels to paint gold.

I'm not a fan of the Ferrari SP3, but do like this set.  It's quite tempting to pick up, if nothing else for future potential.

Daytona-lead.jpg

48 minutes ago, GirchyGirchy said:

This would make a very nice start to a 330 P4 MOC!  The rear hips are nearly there already.  I might need to pick up some old wheels to paint gold.

Makes sense, since (if I remember correctly) the real car was made as a tribute to the 330 P4, similar to how the Sian was a tribute to the Countach. But this is definitely a set I will buy multiple of just for the parts. I can already tell you there will be a huge amount of red MOCs coming in the following years. 

Edited by LvdH

5 hours ago, suffocation said:

Then again, if I'm not mistaken the book comes in English and German only, which speaks volumes about where the Italian market stands on TLG's priority list.

Have you got a source for this? Judging by the photos of the book I presumed all 5000 copies were in English... and if they did come in another language I would’ve definitely thought Italian not German *huh*

If it does come in both languages are there a certain percentage of the 5000 that are in English and the other percentage German? It would be interesting to know what the split would be. I have quite a lot of origami books that are both English/Japanese in the single book. But again judging from the photos it doesn’t appear they’ve done something like that here.

9 minutes ago, langko said:

Have you got a source for this? Judging by the photos of the book I presumed all 5000 copies were in English...

I think you're right - I guess I got mixed up with the instructions, which are indeed in English and German (per Racing Brick's review) :laugh:

9 hours ago, suffocation said:

I think you're right - I guess I got mixed up with the instructions, which are indeed in English and German (per Racing Brick's review) :laugh:

You can look from Ferrari's point also; English and German (and similar) speaking countries are main market for them (as in times of Commendatore), so there is also a kind of similarity with Lego model and real thing

17 hours ago, langko said:

Have you got a source for this? Judging by the photos of the book I presumed all 5000 copies were in English... and if they did come in another language I would’ve definitely thought Italian not German *huh*

The book is English only. The manual of the set has text in English and German. 

On 5/28/2022 at 5:08 PM, kbalage said:

The book is English only. The manual of the set has text in English and German. 

they know we in germany like fast cars and have a huge carlobby just like the usa has its gun lobby.

When exactly is the release? Past midnight in Eastern Europe - on the Lego shop is still "soon - 1 june".

Whilst I don't know about other countries, I have seen releases at both CET, and local time to me (UK).

Ian...

Thank you, I waited and it was worth it - it put me in the queue and after cca 5min I was able to get my copy of the book :classic: