Robert8

LEGO Collectable Minifigures Series 23. Rumors and discussion

This must be some sort of belated Christmas miracle because we're getting 2 regular series this year!

Speculation points out to this series being related to LEGO's 90th anniversary, similar to how Series 18 was. 

Could it be a throwback series? I for sure would like to see Basil the Batlord, King Kahuka, Johnny Thunder, Willa the Witch, Majisto, Alpha Draconis, etc returning for this series

What do you think?

Yeah I wasn’t expecting series 23 to be this year. I think throwbacks is a really likely idea, or they could chose some collectable Minifigures over past series and redo them?

57 minutes ago, User5346 said:

Yeah I wasn’t expecting series 23 to be this year. I think throwbacks is a really likely idea, or they could chose some collectable Minifigures over past series and redo them?

Both would be really cool, but I think the first option is more likely since it's a LEGO anniversary and not a CMF anniversary (and even when we've had actual CMF anniversaries, they haven't given us redone figures).

Either way, I'm just excited we'll have another regular series and more potential for new fantasy/castle/historical figures.

Maybe it will be a celebratory special series, with 12 different brick suits in different colours, each with a goat. 😆

I mean we have Jungle Exploer from Series 19 that does remslbes Johonny Thunder.  I’m not sure if Johnny Thunder will have another comeback in this Series?!

I wonder if Series 23 will have a new baseplate? Like metallic silver? Or golden? Or green? Or blue? Or what?! We have orange plates for Seires 18 that marked 40th anniversary for minifigures  

11 hours ago, williejm said:

Maybe it will be a celebratory special series, with 12 different brick suits in different colours, each with a goat. 😆

I. Want. A. Yellow. Brick. Costume!

19 minutes ago, roselemontea said:

My guess would be a remix design of the classic minifigures similar to series 18 policeman - and also a brick suit (gold?) 

So similar to the collectable coins: a pirate, castle, brick suit, space and octan minifigure and something else

Because they’ve been doing one regular series a year, this makes me think they will continue, and this series will be something like Series 18 - a celebration series that isn’t a completely diverse lineup like usual. What exactly that is we’ll have to see but a regular series seems unlikely to me. 

15 hours ago, ToaIruini said:

Because they’ve been doing one regular series a year, this makes me think they will continue, and this series will be something like Series 18 - a celebration series that isn’t a completely diverse lineup like usual. What exactly that is we’ll have to see but a regular series seems unlikely to me. 

I broadly think this too. Can’t see why they would deliberately break the year/series link at this stage. 

On 1/12/2022 at 2:03 AM, Robert8 said:

Could it be a throwback series? I for sure would like to see Basil the Batlord... etc returning for this series

What do you think?

That's a yes from me chief.

The designers said a few years back they are always considering new series such as themed series like Series 14, this was in response to something along the lines of "Will we see more themed series?" We obviously got a Party theme in Series 18 but I hope we don't get a second party series. I am personally hoping for a Medieval/Castle theme. I know it's a long shot but I hope we get a Plague Doctor.

Edited by Anonknee Muss

I wouldn't mind seeing a series with modern redesigns of characters from Classic/past themes - Castle, Pirates, City, Adventure, Monster Hunters, etc., but if it is a whole series of smiling, blank-eyed faces and retro torso and leg designs like that policeman figure, that would be a hard pass for me personally.  

I would also prefer a redesign. Being a Pirates and Castle fan as a kid those would be most interesting for me personally. If I could choose I think I would like to have a Crusader and Forestman for Castle and a Bluecoat soldier or Governor Broadside, and King Kahuka for Pirates. Redbeard already got a good update in Pirates of Barracuda Bay and the Black Falcons have been revived for the Medieval Blacksmith and Castle.

An ocean themed series would be cool, with scuba divers, animal costumes, mermaids, sirens… 

Or a mythology themed series? 

On 1/13/2022 at 5:39 PM, Jiesdeo said:

I would also prefer a redesign. Being a Pirates and Castle fan as a kid those would be most interesting for me personally. If I could choose I think I would like to have a Crusader and Forestman for Castle and a Bluecoat soldier or Governor Broadside, and King Kahuka for Pirates. Redbeard already got a good update in Pirates of Barracuda Bay and the Black Falcons have been revived for the Medieval Blacksmith and Castle.

And we have an updated Johnny Thunder from Sries 19. 

Ooooooh nice! I was not expecting this! Forgive me for being out of the loop, but are we getting 2 regular + 1 licensed series, or 2 regular + 2 licensed series this year?

On 1/11/2022 at 9:03 PM, Robert8 said:

I for sure would like to see Basil the Batlord, King Kahuka, Johnny Thunder, Willa the Witch, Majisto, Alpha Draconis, etc returning for this series

Are you a fan of the Lego racers game by any chance? :kahuka:

3 hours ago, BrickHat said:

Ooooooh nice! I was not expecting this! Forgive me for being out of the loop, but are we getting 2 regular + 1 licensed series, or 2 regular + 2 licensed series this year?

It's 2 regular + 1 licensed series 

Some sort of miracle

And no, I've never played the game (Although I know about it)

On 1/17/2022 at 5:59 AM, Lego-fire said:

An ocean themed series would be cool, with scuba divers, animal costumes, mermaids, sirens… 

Or a mythology themed series? 

Mythological series would be AWESME! We already have Medusa, Minotaur, Centuar, Faun.

I think we would need Harpies, Sphinx, an updated Minotaur, a female Faun, some Nymphs (Forest, Sea, Cloud). And of course, Sirens. :) 

On 1/29/2022 at 5:50 PM, BrickHat said:

No four serie year. Seires 22, Muppets and Series are what we have. 

Speaking of racers….. I didn’t realize there is Rocket Racer from City theme. He is featured in “Rocket Stunt Bike” set. Real nice to see a minifigure popping out of a classical Lego Racers video game!

Anyways, I don’t think Rocket Racer will show up in Serie 23? I dunno…

2 hours ago, DBlegonerd7 said:

Anyways, I don’t think Rocket Racer will show up in Serie 23? I dunno…

Yeah, he's gotten two nice homages over the last few years, but nothing that closely resembles his original design. I wouldn't expect to see him on S23.

What I am wondering is how often they'll be doing an anniversary series. Next year will be the 45th anniversary of the minifig. Would that mean we'd get another special series that year? They have multiple anniversaries that they could celebrate (the company's, the minifig's, the beginning of CMFs, and series that are multiples of 5 or 10). On the bright side, S18 didn't really do as much to celebrate past figures, so that is still a possibility that they could explore with an anniversary series. I really hope we get to see that someday.

21 hours ago, BrickHat said:

Yeah, he's gotten two nice homages over the last few years, but nothing that closely resembles his original design. I wouldn't expect to see him on S23.

What I am wondering is how often they'll be doing an anniversary series. Next year will be the 45th anniversary of the minifig. Would that mean we'd get another special series that year? They have multiple anniversaries that they could celebrate (the company's, the minifig's, the beginning of CMFs, and series that are multiples of 5 or 10). On the bright side, S18 didn't really do as much to celebrate past figures, so that is still a possibility that they could explore with an anniversary series. I really hope we get to see that someday.

I haven’t thought of that 45th anniveary of good ol’ minifigures! Yeah, I don’t think they will celebrate the past minifigures next year, ecept for one speical minifigure, like Policeman from S18. 

Also, CMF had 10th anniveary in 2020 by including a green brick costume guy with a 2x2 tile wiht “10” printed on it. It seems there were no throwbacks to the past series either and no speical baseplate (like orange one from S18 or white from TLM2 series). 

If this eeries would be a remake of old Lego characters like Vladek, Ogel, etc it could be fun. Imagine if we got a Tahu minifig for Bionicle fans :laugh:

Looking at some of what people have called out;

• I'd be very disappointed with another Series 18 costume party.  Not a costume fan myself.
  • Throwback/Remake series could be good, but I don't think it would be great.  I'm sure I'd like them and get a number of them, but I'd prefer something new and more creative like pretty much everything @Robert8 comes up with.  I do t think it would fit the 90th anniversary idea as well.
  • Mythological series would be awesome.  I'd love more mythological beasts as suggested, or more of the greek pantheon inspired figures (Hades, Zeus, Hephaestus, Aphrodite, etc.)  That said I don't think it fits the 90th anniversary mold.
  • Regular unlicensed CMF series with a single figure for the Anniversary (a la the Green Brick Guy with a 10 tile).  I'd be happy with this.

The only other thought I have in the spirit of a 90th anniversary might be to celebrate the history which lego has been through, perhaps figures representing each decade or major changes in style and fashion i.e. 1930s man with suit and fedora, 1980s fashion woman with a coat with shoulder pads and large hair, etc.

1 hour ago, Lacdaran said:

The only other thought I have in the spirit of a 90th anniversary might be to celebrate the history which lego has been through, perhaps figures representing each decade or major changes in style and fashion i.e. 1930s man with suit and fedora, 1980s fashion woman with a coat with shoulder pads and large hair, etc.

Like Hippie and Yuppie from past CMF series?