Sign in to follow this  
cyberdyne systems

[MOC] Robot for remote presence (useful in real life)

This is R.O.R.S.H.A.H

Robot

Of

Remote

Speech

Human-connection

And

Handshake

37487392.png

EXPLANING THE IDEA

Well. this is not just another MOC which sole purpose is to collect dust on a shelf. No. This one has a real purpose and it is been in use in my family for quite a while now. 

As you all very well know, there are all this pandemic thing around the globe. And because of it a lot of people lockdown-ed in different countries and not able to travel

to meet their relatives and friends even on holidays. 

So, to solve this problem at least a bit, a have created this little one. It is not actually a robot, but wheeled platform with attach point for tablet. 

Idea itself is not anything new, as example, you may know BUDDY the Emotional Robot by French company Blue Frog Robotics, model of which I once have made.

Point is that actual robots are complicated (include more than just that function), not close as cheap as even big lego technic sets, rarely customizable 

and not available on market or can be purchased by only very big hospitals with political connection or smth like that.

Lego on the other hand is affordable (mostly) and easy to use. So, why not to use it instead!

37487528.jpg

37487531.jpg

WHAT YOU WILL NEED

To build yourself such a Robot you will need:

-At least two motors for each wheel 

-Optional third motor for tilting tablet

-Optional fourth motor for extra function

-SmartHub

-Two wheels (use may use whichever you want, but narrow ones are better choice)

-A bunch of technic parts to build the chassis

-Smartphone to control the robot

-Tablet or second smartphone for videocall

37487605.jpg

HOW TO USE IT

The idea is simple, imagine, that you have a family member or friend who has stucked in other city or country. But you want him to be present on family gathering, 

usually you would connect with him via videocall, which is good,but boring - as he will be present only as picture on the screen. Why not to place tablet with opened videocall

on a wheeled platform and give the person on the screen an ability to control this platform. Such he will have some kind of a free will of movement around your table or floor. 

This is a purpose of such robots - and of this one too. 

After you've built your own RORSHAH - you should set an interface to control it in app that you prefer to use - my app of choice is ControlZ

Then you should share the screen of your phone with the person you want to use the robot. (I recommend using Parsec - as it is free) - make sure

to share the screen in app that allows to control scren via sharing.

After this you make a videocall and place tablet with active call on your robot - and voi là - your friend can see you,talk to you,drive around your room,look around and even shake your hand!

Here is the video,demonstrating RORSHAH in use:

Thanks for watching!

P.S. What do you think? As for me - this is really useful invention which really enhances connection between people divided by borders. 

Edited by Darkdragon
attachments removed

Excellent, everyone should have one, your creations always seem to live up to your name. Keep up the great work, I always enjoy checking out your stuff.

On 1/12/2022 at 1:21 AM, Johnny1360 said:

Excellent, everyone should have one, your creations always seem to live up to your name. Keep up the great work, I always enjoy checking out your stuff.

Thanks a lot. I figured out, that the cheapest way two build this robot is to buy Zetros (and use M instead of one L) or buy two Buggies or two TopGear cars. Liebherr is retiring, CAT has way too high price, Volvo and orange Xtreme-thingy gives only three motors out of four.  

Interesting for sure, but a bit pointless too imo. I just can't imagine using this in the scenario described above. My relatives wouldn't know how to use it, and setting up the control surface for the other person eould be too much to bother with. I can already see Grandma driving the Tablet bot to a suicide death over the table edge :laugh_hard:

A 360° camera would be a better option imo.