evancelt

[COR-FB] An Odorific Homecoming

Corporal Ferguson of the Elizabethville militia was on leave from Fort di Legno and headed home to his cabin with his dog Hercules. He was pleased to see the hearth fire burning as he approached from the stream bank - his wife must be preparing dinner. He would surprise her.

However, as he got closer to the house, he saw a black form scurry behind the cabin. Hercules made chase.

log-cabin-frontier-1.jpg

log-cabin-frontier-2.jpg

----------------

OOC: To be licensed as a medium residence in Elizabethville. Ever since my wife got the Santa's Sleigh set at Thanksgiving I've wanted to use the dual molded red boot pants for an Elizabethville militia build :pir-grin:

Edited by evancelt
Typo!

That's a great log cabin! I've been wanting to build one of those myself, but never got a satisfying result. Using the thicker 2x2 round pieces works better than 1x1 round brick, so maybe that's why I never found my own versions to my liking. Is the top tree trunk (above the door) held in by friction? The others are probably connected to the door frame?

The rest of the scene is lovely too. The base you did is great and I love how you combined the black border "style" with the "studs-out border style". It looks a scene in itself, yet also connected to a larger environment. I love the effect. Also, the curves give it a nice organic look. Color choices are on point, too, as usual.

Story-wise, I didn't see the skunk at first and didn't really make the connection with the topic title, so I thought the black silhouette or figure running into the woods was someone the soldier's wife had cheated him with :laugh:. It only clicked when I actually saw the skunk and was like "oooh okay, this makes more sense". :grin:

Very nice landscape and house! I like the realistically built landscape with the bumps, hills, stones, trees and even a puddle of water. The wooden house with the chimney and roof is also well built.

Excellent! The cabin is great and your foliage remains exquisite. I need to get some landscape parts ordered sometime soon so I can rip-off those trees! :pir-grin:

Something I didn't mention in the other thread that is more noticeable on this version is the brick build backpack - I've seen you use it before but the detail is really great on this photo (by that I mean very copy-able!!!)

Great trees, nice combination of black border and overflowing dirt!  I love your large log technique too, gotta see if I have enough of those to try it out!

Thanks guys!

20 minutes ago, Spud The Viking said:

Great build - those windows fit seamlessly into the "logs"! 

Yeah they fit pretty well! It's a little annoying that the window frame is slightly thicker on one side, but so be it!

12 minutes ago, Ayrlego said:

Something I didn't mention in the other thread that is more noticeable on this version is the brick build backpack - I've seen you use it before but the detail is really great on this photo (by that I mean very copy-able!!!)

Thanks! Yes please do copy if you want. It's a fun way to give figs gray sleeping rolls. I've just noticed in the detail shot that the 1x1 round plate facing this way on the roll is non-LEGO (no imprint). GASP! :pir-grin: Wonder how that got in there

3 hours ago, Jeff of Clubs said:

...soon so I can rip-off those trees! :pir-grin:

Yes please do!

10 hours ago, Khorne said:

Is the top tree trunk (above the door) held in by friction? The others are probably connected to the door frame?

The bottom four logs on the front are connected to the door frame with SNOT bricks, but that top one is held in place from the ends - there are 2x4 plates on either end that go back behind the log and I've connected to them back there with hinges. Wouldn't look good for an interior, but worked well for a facade!

Excellent log cabin!!! I believe thick logs work better than the 1x1 round ones. Also the roof while colourful doesn't distracts and your (constant) experimenting - speaking about the base - by using two different techniques is nice and refreshing I would say. Only thing that I find distracting (and this is nitpicking) is the curved pieces being black, although I don't remember having seen those pieces in earthen tones that could match the surroundings better imo...

Edited by blackdeathgr

An excellent looking log cabin, one of the few good ones I've seen so far! The esthetics just fit really well with the terrain too!

And, is that is a snake you used for the smoke plume? I really need to save that somewhere to do too!

Not sure about the black curved borders though, seems a bit odd compared to the smooth and balanced rest of the build

13 minutes ago, Thomas Waagenaar said:

An excellent looking log cabin, one of the few good ones I've seen so far! The esthetics just fit really well with the terrain too!

Thanks! Ayrlego is working on one now too and I think it expands on this big log technique really well to add some more realistic textures

And, is that is a snake you used for the smoke plume? I really need to save that somewhere to do too!

Yes it's 2x the ninjago white snake. I like that it looks pretty smokey-wispy. I've seen it used this way a few times around on Flickr, so definitely not my original idea.

Not sure about the black curved borders though, seems a bit odd compared to the smooth and balanced rest of the build

:pir-grin: Yeah the black border definitely doesn't sit in the landscape the same way the SNOT edge does, but I think it gives the whole build a more artistic final look

15 hours ago, blackdeathgr said:

Excellent log cabin!!! I believe thick logs work better than the 1x1 round ones. Also the roof while colourful doesn't distracts and your (constant) experimenting - speaking about the base - by using two different techniques is nice and refreshing I would say. Only thing that I find distracting (and this is nitpicking) is the curved pieces being black, although I don't remember having seen those pieces in earthen tones that could match the surroundings better imo...

Thanks! Yeah I definitely like the 2x logs better than my first experimentation (when I first got started in BoBs) with 1x logs

Edited by evancelt