Sign in to follow this  
The Outsider

Iron Man Figure & SCCBS: Is the Future of Constraction Brick-Based?

So, recently it's been announced an Iron Man Figure which is pretty much an action figure built with bricks, much like the Knights' Kingdom II of old. Meanwhile, in Ninjago, one of the developers posted his work designing a new, brick-based mech and creature building system called SCCBS, clearly inspired by CCBS both in style and name (DuckBricks goes into a deep analysis of the posts here). And in the meantime, we've had very little development regarding CCBS or constraction as a whole.

Do you think this means future constraction will be brick-based? Are you for or against it?

For my case, I always assumed constraction was more a case of marketing and aesthetics than building system and as such would easily count Knights' Kingdom II and Exo-Force as constraction anyway (both of which I loved for the sets and particularly the story), so I wouldn't mind at all. I only hope future SCCBS sets will feature more articulation, which given it apparently depends on the intended age group it seems likely.

NGL the Iron Man looks like a bootleg you'd find on a site like Aliexpress. Head and especially the elbows give it a knock off vibe to me.

Also not a fan of the fixed limb joints for SCCBS. The do give a 2001 Bionicle vibe. But the could have been ratcheted and still had the same function.

I do really like the new ratcheted piece that sets like Macaque mech has. Will for sure improve large mechs.

Will have to see how SCCBS fairs. CCBS did start out a bit lacking but improved a lot in the years it was out.

From what I understood, the fixed piece is because these are sets for a younger demographic where stability is more important than articulation - in fact, one of the main quality tests after several complaints regarding Exo-Force is for the figures/mechs/creatures to stand on their own without needing to fiddle with them. Should the system prove successful and be adapted to older demographics, they'll probably include more articulation; the early designs even showed the fixed limb as two pieces connected by a pin.

I'm genuinely surprised by the price of that set, I was expecting it to go for around $60 USD instead of $40, but yes I can sort of see this as being the future of "Constraction", I just hope that things look a lot less...mech-y in the future. And as said above, hopefully more articulated figures get made for older fans. I just hope that whatever happens, lego doesn't make the same obvious mistake they made with SWC and decide to put human faces on them.

I do like the more brick based system myself but I'm biased as my only experience with full technic CCBS is basicly Slizers before Bionicle, and then the Nexo Knight sets 2016 onward.

As for the new fixed knee/elbow joints, it's a nice part to have available but so far the implementation on younger age sets seems to make the most sense.

Edited by TeriXeri

Sorry, but I'm a hater towards that buildable Ironman. I don't see the point of it existing. Arishem was cool, because he's a Celestial and actually works