TheBob

[MOC] [Instructions] Cavegod's Upsilon V2

Hi everbody, 

@cavegod asked me to do a workover of the Upsilon shuttle, so I did for the last few months. I'm very proud to present the Upsilon V2 featuring mechanics to move the wings with power functions motors, as well as the bottom hatch and build in LEDs. I also added some more interieur and updated the partlist. Of course there are some new instructions. 

Especially the moving wings were tricky, due to the high forces, my first attempt resulted in a broken gear. I finally found a solution using actuators, three on each side and a gear system which adds up two L motors. To make all the motors and the battery pack fit inside I had to rebuild the complete inner structure of the model, so the hull is nearly the same like the first version, except for an update of the top hatch and some part adjustments. We use a SBrick to control all the motors and the lights.

Since the motors are getting very expensive, I also added a additional mechanical attachment to move the wings and the bottom hatch by hand. It may take a while, but it's possible :D. Unfortunatly I didn't make any good pictures, so I can just show some rendered ones for now, as soon as possible I'm going to provide better ones. The last picture shows the cabling in the instructions. Instructions, a 360 degree view as well as a full building jkit by Brick Moon can be found on https://brick-collective.com/en/produkt/cavegod-upsilon-v2/

upsilon_v5_ins_part_5.png

UntitledModel_6.pngupsilon_v5_ins_part_3.png

UntitledModel_5.png

Screenshot-2022-01-05-223150.png

Impressive. Has this been built for real? Any chance of a vid of this in action? I’m curious about the mechanism. Looks like a real challenge but a heck of a showpiece

I saw this post on one of the Facebooks groups. Just my luck, I finished building V1 this yesterday, they release V2 today?! The same thing happened with Brickvault's UCS Ghost, I think?!

Hey folks,

thanks for the kind words and sorry for the late reply.

So the model is currently rebuild, because I needed the motors of the prototype for other projects

@LDigital, @Vynce: There are some vids but just from the prototype in a real messy state. Personally I would like to make some new vids once it's rebuild and clean, I will then post them of course! :-)

@sokewl I don't get what you mean, the first picture shows the wings in folded state, the third one shows it in open state.

On 1/28/2022 at 11:11 AM, TheBob said:

I don't get what you mean, the first picture shows the wings in folded state, the third one shows it in open state.

Slid down like in the first movie I think he might mean, though I don't think your model does that.

Looks great, the interior detail is fantastic and I like the functionality of the wings; my only suggestion is could you use the new 2x6 tiles on the cockpit door rather than the 2x4 and 2x2 tiles?

Does the landing gear retract, regardless the detail in the landing gear is great.

Is there an upgrade price for the instructions if you purchased the original version or is this considered a separate project?  I am glad to see this revisited as it is quite an impressive and challenging build.  Cheers!