Jeffinslaw

My Updated Union Pacific 4-8-8-4 "Big Boy" Model

Posted with Moderator approval

Hey guys! I am super happy to present my latest steam engine MOC! It is an update of my original Big Boy model. This version has been completely reworked from the ground up with the idea in mind of what a museum quality/collector piece of the real life Big Boy would look like when modeled in LEGO. I will let you guys decide if I achieved that goal! 

Some of the updated features of this build are:

• correct boiler diameter with correct boiler expansion and contraction as you move back towards the cab
  • strength improvements to the boiler/drive train
  • accurately modeled details such as boiler backend, piping, and valve gear
  • a display stand for the model when not running it on a layout

Remaining pieces have been ordered for my test build. Should be arriving late this week, early next and will have it built soon. Expect lots of videos once it is complete!

How about some pictures? Would love to hear all of your comments/thoughts on the model whether positive or negative!

Updated Big Boy 1Updated Big Boy 2Updated Big Boy 3Updated Big Boy 4

Finally, you will be able to purchase this model as a full kit. Featured in the kit is:

• all of the brand new LEGO pieces required
  • high quality and highly detailed printed instructions
  • decals printed directly to bricks
  • display stand with UCS style plaque
  • two custom printed minifigures
  • all custom pieces needed (battery box, train control method of choice, 3D printed drivers and side rods)
  • lights and sound from BrickStuff and Fx Bricks, respectively (available as add-ons)

Kit can be pre-ordered from my site at: http://www.pnwsteamshop.com

- Jeffinslaw

probably the reason for not putting the flex tubes on is studio which is a nightmare of its own with flex tubes and rigid hoses

1 hour ago, Guyinaplaguemask said:

It looks like you forgot to put the flex tubes on the side of the engine. Othwr than that, it looks good

1 hour ago, XG BC said:

probably the reason for not putting the flex tubes on is studio which is a nightmare of its own with flex tubes and rigid hoses

Both correct! It takes some serious time to create the flex tubing in LDCad and then exporting it into Studio. It will be done eventually. Just not ready to fight with that just yet. I have several to to as well:

• left and right main hand rails
  • redo left and right hand rails for the pilot truck
  • there is a U shaped handrail that goes over the front of the headlight
  • some other L shaped hoses that come down from the boiler to underneath the cab

Thanks for the comments guys!!

9 hours ago, Jeffinslaw said:

It takes some serious time to create the flex tubing in LDCad and then exporting it into Studio.

I’d advice using Blender to make the render with the tubing added, there’s a tutorial online that explains how to import and render Lego models. I’ve used that to make renders of my Virginian Triplex: https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/183056-virginian-2-8-8-8-4-triplex-version-3-wip/&tab=comments#comment-3350734

It’s a steep learning curve for sure but once you get the hang of it it’s a walk in the park

Edited by Barduck
Typo

It is great to see you continue to push the envelope of detailing in Lego steam. Your original build was already impressive, this one only more so.

There is one thing that sticks out to my eyes though (literally in this case), the traditional lego 1x2 plates with handle on the rear of the tender. You probably have room to do a brick built ladder out of jumper plates and/or door rails, e.g.,

s75.jpg

This thing is a monster. Congrats on building such a massive 4000 series locomotive. Good luck with the kits.

I remember back when I was a very little kid I had this book on trains and the Big Boy was basically featured as the centerfold. You folded out the pages twice (I think) so the Big Boy took up 6 regular pages to show the whole thing. Pretty much from that moment on, it has been and we'll always be one of my favorite locomotives.

This is a stunningly beautiful recreation of the Big Boy and I can't over state how impressed I am with what you've done here. It's amazing.

On 1/4/2022 at 3:20 AM, Barduck said:

I’d advice using Blender to make the render with the tubing added, there’s a tutorial online that explains how to import and render Lego models. I’ve used that to make renders of my Virginian Triplex: https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/topic/183056-virginian-2-8-8-8-4-triplex-version-3-wip/&tab=comments#comment-3350734

It’s a steep learning curve for sure but once you get the hang of it it’s a walk in the park

I'll have to check it out, thanks!

On 1/4/2022 at 9:15 AM, zephyr1934 said:

It is great to see you continue to push the envelope of detailing in Lego steam. Your original build was already impressive, this one only more so.

There is one thing that sticks out to my eyes though (literally in this case), the traditional lego 1x2 plates with handle on the rear of the tender. You probably have room to do a brick built ladder out of jumper plates and/or door rails, e.g.,

s75.jpg

I am partial to the modified plates with handle and closed ends. I do still wish to retain a little bit of LEGO-ness to the model. I may revisit this part though... thank you for the comments!!

On 1/4/2022 at 10:12 AM, Feuer Zug said:

This thing is a monster. Congrats on building such a massive 4000 series locomotive. Good luck with the kits.

Thank you! Appreciate the kind words.

7 hours ago, Geihlen said:

I remember back when I was a very little kid I had this book on trains and the Big Boy was basically featured as the centerfold. You folded out the pages twice (I think) so the Big Boy took up 6 regular pages to show the whole thing. Pretty much from that moment on, it has been and we'll always be one of my favorite locomotives.

This is a stunningly beautiful recreation of the Big Boy and I can't over state how impressed I am with what you've done here. It's amazing.

Thank you very much!

-Jeffinslaw

On 1/7/2022 at 10:36 PM, Jeffinslaw said:

I am partial to the modified plates with handle and closed ends. I do still wish to retain a little bit of LEGO-ness to the model. I may revisit this part though... thank you for the comments!!

Indeed, it is important to have a little deliberate nod that is clearly lego so everyone knows this is not a preassembed O gauge set.

6 minutes ago, High_Admiral said:

Holy cow that model is glorious! How does it behave on track?

Not sure yet! Parts are arriving this week to build it. It should work just fine I think.

-Jeffinslaw