I have finally found the time to finish this MOC of a Morooka tracked dumper.

800x600.jpg

It is loosely based on the Morooka MST 2200VD. 

640x673.jpg

The model is controlled using an S-brick and powered by the regular lego technic power functions battery box. 

Each track is driven by an PF L motor with a 1:1 ratio, giving the model plenty of speed and enough torque to drive over obstacles etc. 

Dumping is also motorized using a PF L motor driving a linear actuator.

800x600.jpg

The battery box is hidden under the openable hood, and can be easily accessed and removed (although a lot easier if the dumpbed is up :))

Other functions include an openable door and a lock for the gate on the dumpbed, that opens if you dump.

I tried to make a video but you guys will have to wait a bit longer because my baby is making a lot of noise in the background so I have to make a new one sometime when he is asleep :)

Edit: made a new video - the period in the beginning when nothing happens is when the buwizz in the tractor fails to connect

Some more pictures: https://bricksafe.com/pages/Arie/tracked-dumper

Let me know what you think!

Edited by Arie
added video

Thanks for all the comments! Baby is asleep so here is a retry of the video :)

There is a long period of nothing in the beginning when the buwizz in the tractor fails to connects :)

Tracked dumpers are very cool and it also moves pretty good. :thumbup: for the MOC and your driving abilities!

I saw something similar before and it got on my 'I wanna build this one day' list. Your dumper looks good and seems to drive well. Any changes on building instructions or detailed pics of the mechanics and inside for a rebuild :)

I have a ~80% studio model, if there is interest I can make instructions - will take some time though :)

Verry nice model ,look's good .

Here in Belgium the company where i work is authorized Dealer for Morooka Belgium .

The New 3000 serie is a real nice machine ,you have also the one with the rotating upperstructure .

On 1/4/2022 at 5:43 PM, Arie said:

I have a ~80% studio model, if there is interest I can make instructions - will take some time though :)

For the record: there is interest. :)

Edited by Mikdun

I'm proud te present the free instruction of this model, which can be downloaded from Rebrickable:

https://rebrickable.com/mocs/MOC-113848/Arjo/rc-morooka-tracked-dumper/#details

On 3/17/2022 at 3:07 PM, Mikdun said:

For the record: there is interest. :)

I'd be honored if you decide to build it and look forward to any feedback on the design or the instructions :)

On 6/7/2022 at 5:29 PM, Arie said:

I'd be honored if you decide to build it and look forward to any feedback on the design or the instructions :)

For sure I will build it. Just have to order few parts and disassembly one or two builds... Stay tuned.

You prefer to have my feedback here or via PM?

On 6/20/2022 at 11:52 AM, Mikdun said:

You prefer to have my feedback here or via PM?

Any feedback that others can learn from as well would be much appreciated in the forum :) 

OK, after veeeeery long (sorry about that, lego is not on top of my daily TODO list :pir-bawling: ) I've finished the build and can share my thoughts.

As always, please do not take it personally, I'm listing all things that got my attention.

1. Error in instruction

Gears to power LA for bed lifting are missing. They are missing in building steps and on part list.

2. Instruction

I like the layout and general feel. However there are many steps when one has to assemble few parts and put on the model. Many times the view is obscured. Figuring out how to assemble can be nice challenge, but still half-steps will be welcome ;)

It is noted on the beginning that wire routing can be seen at the back, but it is critical to follow, as later one have to disassembly a lot to correct it. Do not ask me how I know. :pir-tongue:

Axle length numbers will help A LOT during assembly.

The assembly of modules can be shown better. Especially attaching bed to the chassis gave me good 15 minutes of head scratching. I did it finally and it works great.

3. Model

The finished model is larger than I expected. It looks very good!

I have an issue with driving, as my batterybox / rechargeables combination are losing power very quickly, but with alkalines it is no problem.

The bed tipping works flawlessly.

It is not easy to open cover on battery box, the bed is in the way.

It is build in modules, and it makes it a bit wobbly, especially the cabin. Also dismantling track modules are challenging, but you don't do it often, so OK. The bumper on the other hand is too easy to remove. :pir-blush:

4. Changes

I did few changes to the model, not due to the missing parts, but due to the functionality:

- I removed one connector under right mirror and minimised exhaust pipe - they interfere with cover over battery box

- I changed 4L axles in the track boogies to 5L axles with half bushes on both sides; without it the boogies were dismantled very easily just by running the vehicle on the flat floor.

Let me add few pictures:

uc?export=view&id=1vGD0yXONrowTPJIwtAgV3

uc?export=view&id=12jnH2Q_ZZcCgJTYvgTggM

As can be seen I did not have correct colours, used PF receivers and messed up the cabin (not intentionally, just realized it now). :blush:

Edited by Mikdun
Changed photo links to external

Thank you this is very helpful! I won't promise yet to make updates to the instruction, but this helps me tremendously with the next MOC :)

I don't know about the battery drain - I have normal single use batteries in the model (still the first set), and have been driving it for hours when my nephews are here :)

And indeed the access to the batterybox access is problematic with the tipping bed (and the mirror is in the way) But like I said I haven't had to change batteries yet :wink:

About the 4L axles - I went through all my stock of the the thin liftarms and 4L axles the find the ones that stay put :blush:

And please share some photos!  Awesome, thanks for the pictures! Enjoy the model :)

Edited by Arie

On 11/15/2022 at 12:52 PM, Arie said:

Thank you this is very helpful!

Glad I could help! :classic:

On 11/15/2022 at 12:52 PM, Arie said:

I don't know about the battery drain - I have normal single use batteries in the model (still the first set), and have been driving it for hours when my nephews are here :)

Yeah, it's something in my battery box I think. Nothing to do with this particular model.

While driving it on the smooth surface (floor panels) I noticed that it slips a lot. So i decided to change gearing from 1:1 to 1:3. It does not run much slower (I guess the motors were overloaded originally) but the current protection trips much later. Like after 1 minute before and 5 minutes after. So I'm happy with this change.

Thanks for all the feedback. I just updated the instructions and inventory slightly, to include the missing gears and axle for the bed tipping. Also I placed a note at step 3 to have a good look at the wire routing before proceeding to hopefully prevent any others from having to disassemble half the chassis! :)

I made one more change.

The boogies are fixed by Axle Pin - those happen to slide out while turning. I replaced it with Axle 3L with stop and secured it with two half bushes. Seems reliable now.