10 hours ago, Toastie said:

Well, I don't like the cargo train either, so - I don't care :pir-laugh: (Actually, I am glad to give >easy< passes on all three new train sets, otherwise it would have been: "Let the discussions begin" with the financial department = my wife).

However, when it comes to trains, PoweredUp really kicks in. I don't mean remote controlling nor the stupid battery crunching, but rather automation - either full or semi or just here and there. And not with TLGs graphical phone/tablet software (which BTW has "matured" into a rather congested, complex environment - reflecting the sheer HW/firmware functions the hubs/sensors/actuators come with), but - as usual - with 3rd party open source software (PyBricks, Legoino, and others). Regarding the latter, PoweredUp becomes so much more, PF ever was/was designed for.

All the best,
Thorsten   

Have you heard of DCC in the model train world? It gives power to trains via metal tracks and can also send signals through that same track. Basically it would have capability for full automation, ability to control two trains that are on the same track individually, etc, but while also having no batteries and having metal rails. Best of both worlds!

As much as I like the station from a child's perspective, I do wonder: would it have been so difficult for LEGO to give us this?

Bouwsinstructies-LEGO-4554-Central-Stati

That is a very nice update of a classic set, and one that looks very reasonable as a modern set!  It would probably satisfy a lot more old-school Train fans and it would make the new kids getting their train sets just as happy.  Oh well, I guess that's the Train station set they got on Earth-2 this year.  Thanks for posting that picture!

6 hours ago, allanp said:

Have you heard of DCC in the model train world? It gives power to trains via metal tracks and can also send signals through that same track. Basically it would have capability for full automation, ability to control two trains that are on the same track individually, etc, but while also having no batteries and having metal rails. Best of both worlds!

I agree I prefer metal rails.

The only main downside of the 9v metal rails are some layouts with switch tracks could short circuit because the - track would connect to the + track that's what the manual for my 1996 train warned me for :wacko:

Edited by TeriXeri

7 hours ago, allanp said:

Oh so true. Yes, have heard of it - but I'm taking another route: Metal rails (= TLGs 9V stuff) permanently powered with 15 V DC, power pickups (= 9V train motors either without motor or split power line) feeding >via bridge rectifiers< either the PF LiPo (directly), the PF bat boxes and RC train bat box (w/ NiMH rechargeables) via voltage regulator, and they in turn power the PF receivers and PoweredUp hubs. RCX' can go directly w/ track DC (buffered with NiMH's).

Advantage: Track polarity, sudden polarity changes no problem (why's etc.), 99.5% all LEGO stuff.

Spoiler

Best,
Thorsten 

1 hour ago, *thomas* said:

I do wonder: would it have been so difficult for LEGO to give us this?

Too difficult for profit maximization.

Best,
Thorsten

Edited by Toastie

2 hours ago, *thomas* said:

As much as I like the station from a child's perspective, I do wonder: would it have been so difficult for LEGO to give us this?

Bouwsinstructies-LEGO-4554-Central-Stati

Really great one, but lego is futuristic utopia by nowadays, so probably it will not fit...

I think TLG missed an opportunity with the station though… instead of a bus they should’ve made an electric vehicle similar to the ones in the freight set!

Also, I get revisiting the “rerailer” ramp piece… but instead of refreshing the market with a single one in the set, now the market will be oversaturated!

I’m liking the passenger train though (despite having to get the arbitrary 2x). I don’t dislike the color scheme, but I do want to build an alternate color version… its just a shame that the giant 8x1x3 slope only exists in two other colors at the moment. According to BrickLink, one could theoretically substitute the pieces in that white stripe with dark green ones…

Lastly, if the coaches are built on the newer 1/2 well-car bases… one could also extend the length of their coaches from 6x34 up to whatever length doesn’t sag onto the rails… like maybe 6x68?

24 minutes ago, M_slug357 said:

Lastly, if the coaches are built on the newer 1/2 well-car bases… one could also extend the length of their coaches from 6x34 up to whatever length doesn’t sag onto the rails… like maybe 6x68 8x68?

There, I fixed it for you.

22 hours ago, Tube Map Central said:

Looking at the comments of various forums such as Brickset, the consensus seems to be that the Friends range is really hitting the target, and the police-obsessed petty-crime-obsessed city range is falling behind. Looking at recent sets, I agree. Both are produced by the same company. 

Oh man, Friends is blowing City out of the water. There's some great things going on in Friends.

48 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

Oh man, Friends is blowing City out of the water. There's some great things going on in Friends.

Heartlake is really nice place to live as minifig, they only needs proper railroad...

20 hours ago, Tube Map Central said:

No, it is objectively a rubbish miserable shed, you are just seeing it through your rose tinted Lego worship glasses

Opinions are subjective by definition — treating your opinions as "objective" and insulting anybody who disagrees is just making a fool of yourself.

7 hours ago, *thomas* said:

https://bouwsteentjes.info/wp-content/uploads/2020/11/Bouwsinstructies-LEGO-4554-Central-Station-Revisited-1.jpg

I think they could certainly do a modern version of 4554 if they wanted to — it's just not the style they chose to opt for this time around. Instead, this one's more like a modern version of 7824.

I have loads of nostalgia for 4554 — as a 90s kid, it was maybe the most iconic train station set of my childhood — and I'm sure we can both agree that MOC you linked to looks magnificent! Although it'd maybe be more of an 8+ set (Like the Friends Art School and Theater School) than a 7+ set like this new station.

Even so, I don't think it makes sense treat that sort of fancy neoclassical station like the only kind worth releasing. In this case, I think a modernist building with clean, studless cornices, vivid bands of color, and large windows and skylights to brighten the interior was a beautiful choice in its own right.

20 hours ago, Toastie said:

Been to a train station lately though? My guess is yes, but I really don't see a "comfortable space". The café appears to be ... empty (the guy though caught a croissant - and the ticket booth seems to have space for one customer, but no employees.

It looks to me as though the man in the green apron runs both the ticket counter and café from the area behind the center window, which has a 2x4 countertop on either side. There unfortunately aren't any good images of this "behind the counter" area, but from the front we can see what appears to be a coffee machine in the center and a glass display case for pastries on the café counter. Additionally, the one interior pic shows a number pad on the ticket counter (probably a credit card reader).

Unfortunately, we might not get a clearer look at these interior details until either instructions, reviews, or a 360-degree spin show up online. But it's definitely not completely empty in there — in fact it's LESS empty than the ticket booth and snack bar from old-school train station sets like 4554!

On a side note, looking over the pictures again, I just realized that there IS a ramp to the station platform after all — it's underneath the archway between the sheltered waiting area and the station building. So that resolves one of my lingering misgivings about the set!

Edited by Aanchir

10 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

this one's more like a modern version of 7824.

Funny, when I first looked at the new station, I got some 80s vibes from it, so I know exactly what you mean. As you said, it looks like a nice place to wait for a train, but it's not a station I can relate to (most railway stations in Belgium are older, larger building that look a lot like the 4554 station, even in more rural areas).

Still, my son will love it. Shame I can't feel that way about the pass. train :(. 

5 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

I think they could certainly do a modern version of 4554 if they wanted to — it's just not the style they chose to opt for this time around. Instead, this one's more like a modern version of 7824.

A very apt comparison.  That's now my headcanon for the 2022 train station: it's a modern spiritual successor to the classic 7824.

28 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

in fact it's LESS empty than the ticket booth and snack bar from old-school train station sets like 4554

That is so true - actually I am not that impressed at all by the old-school stuff other than trains, carriages, other functional stuff, and most importantly functionality of the 12V system, as this represents playability for the kids a little older than simply those wanting to push along (or even getting bored by that).

And then: 4554 is 21 years old (21 years ago, that was the year, Ukraine became independent, the first Gulf War was waged, and it marked the first year of the internet ...) since then, TLG has cranked out so many and diverse bricks'n'plates - they really could do better. But they don't want to and that's simply it. Has been amply discussed here.

As some still envy the olden "glory" days, others do see a beautiful modern or even future building style in an 8x8x8 cube with maybe a door and a window. And I am entirely OK with that. See, "I" do it my way, you do it your way and others do it their ways. And sometimes we are all on the same page - and mostly we are not, because we are all individuals. Unfortunately, the "I-want-section" in Homo sapien's brain has grown (not developed, simply grossly grown) much, much more rapidly than any other region, particularly the "We-section". Which appears to actually shrink. It is what it is.

Best wishes,
Thorsten

To me the main thing the olden sets had an advantage over now, were the smaller expansion sets like wagons, service vehicles and crossings not being part of just the BIG set or station.

Now if you want a train, you overpay for the electronics if you want to expand it with more train sets, and you end up with another locomotive motor/battery box etc which are also sold seperately for replacement purposes.

Now with Creator 3-in-1 you have to wait 1-2 years for a new building/shop to show up (used to be more frequent as well), but for trains you have to wait 4 for a new train (with 3-4 cargo wagons), or even like 8 year for a station or 12 year for a guarded crossing.

A set like 2126: Train Cars every 2 year or so would help expand the cargo layout, as rails and switches remain sold independant , it's basicly a build-your own train concept but combines multiple smaller wagons in 1 set.

The 90s also sold some larger flatbeds , cranes, or car wagons, but those were long wagons. 

Edited by TeriXeri

Also, certainly with 12v, there was the feeling of ‘graduating’ through sets - push along for the youngest, followed by 4.5v when a bit more action is needed, and then full remote functionality with 12v, by which time you’ve collected a good amount of trackside structures and rolling stock…

I’m in no way expecting a return to those days, but can’t help but miss them…. :)

On topic - I’m not particularly interested in any of this new set of releases at the moment, but will certainly give them a go if a decent discount become available (which is how I ended up with four 60051s!)…

Although I love trains, the new 60337 design is a little too sleek for my taste. I've been on the N700's in Japan and they really are still quite futuristic compared to most high speed trains around the world. I do like the lime green on the new train though. So I was thinking... what to do with this new train. And I came up with a model inspired by the Narita Express (so, still Japan based):

t4VrUJ9.jpg

It wouldn't require that many additional parts and to me, looks more appropriate in any urban layout. Would love to know what you guys think.  

@JayCal nice redesign! The only change I would make to your engine would be removing the window section at the rear. Its important that the battery box stays situated above the motor for maximum tractive effort!

@Black Knight *l e n g t h*

Nice work. It has a bit of that Dutch ICM train feel too. :classic:

22 minutes ago, dr_spock said:

Nice work. It has a bit of that Dutch ICM train feel too. :classic:

Indeed, looks like the older Dutch intercity (which I always thought had some Boeing 747 jumbo jet hump style, especially when younger when ICM were basicly the main intercity model)

Edited by TeriXeri

1 hour ago, M_slug357 said:

@JayCal nice redesign! The only change I would make to your engine would be removing the window section at the rear. Its important that the battery box stays situated above the motor for maximum tractive effort!

I can totally see the Japanese influence in the base set, but I like the updates in JayCal's MOD (MOC?). If the windows do belong at the rear to be prototypical, you could put the battery and motor at the front.

@JayCal you train clearly was inspired by the "Koploper" design indeed ;) Looks like a very interesting MOD!

Thanks guys,

48 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

Indeed, looks like the older Dutch intercity (which I always thought had some Boeing 747 jumbo jet hump style, especially when younger when ICM were basicly the main intercity model)

21 minutes ago, JopieK said:

@JayCal you train clearly was inspired by the "Koploper" design indeed ;) Looks like a very interesting MOD!

Although the ICM/koploper by NS/dutch railways is a well known model to me (it used to be my main train to work for 6 years), this one actually wasn't inspired by the ICM/koploper but more so by the Japanese Narita Express. It shares many design similarities though. 

35 minutes ago, zephyr1934 said:

I can totally see the Japanese influence in the base set, but I like the updates in JayCal's MOD (MOC?). If the windows do belong at the rear to be prototypical, you could put the battery and motor at the front.

Thanks for the idea! That works much better. Here's a version with the battery/motor at the front (and a Narita Express reference to boot). Putting the battery on top of the motor actually helped me disguise the controls on the battery box as well. They are now accessible by lifting the entire cockpit roof.

k2VbMZN.jpg