1 hour ago, Lok24 said:

Official pictures and info can be found here

Good that this train runs on batteries - otherwise the pantographs may have difficulties in sucking in juice. Well, alternatively, the cars on top have their windshields etc. removed and the catenary just runs "through" them. :pir-skel:

Yes I know, kids don't care about that.

Best,
Thorsten

Well i can’t say I’m too excited about that locomotives front end, and presumably, its rear too.  I think it was partially modelled after some of the passenger units used by the SBB, https://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/during-your-journey/our-trains.html given the attempt at making a round front. It’s a fail for me.  The wagons also appear to be 6+ wide,  almost 8 wide on the container and drop side wagons.  The car transporter being very high is also an issue.  I can see cars flying off, probably taking the wagon with it, no doubt, as the train goes round those tight bends.  The loco looks a little narrow even with the handles for the (fake-again) doors.

It seems a shame, as with just a little more thought, this could have been a cracking set.

14 minutes ago, Toastie said:

Good that this train runs on batteries - otherwise the pantographs may have difficulties in sucking in juice. Well, alternatively, the cars on top have their windshields etc. removed and the catenary just runs "through" them. :pir-skel:

Yes I know, kids don't care about that.

Best,
Thorsten

Sad things that I care and If I remeber correctly lego cared too.

I do know when I was at recommended age for this set, I probably pinpoint very easily that its not realistic. Kids are not stupid as they sometimes looks.

I love it. It's very modern and different. I like it even more now. The car carrier, the little electric charging station. The electric locomotive. It's colorful. I think children will be a big fan of it. Can't wait to get it in 2025 when it's on sale for super cheap. :)

Ooh, I like the auto carrier car and unloading ramp! The open wagon also looks great in spite of its simplicity, and makes fantastic use of those hinge plates introduced in the Vidiyo theme. It's also neat to see such a modern-looking electric locomotive build that isn't reliant on any specialized cab pieces. Even the container handler is a very different design than the cranes and telehandlers we often see in the City theme.

By comparison, the container car feels a little more "run of the mill" to me, but the cargo inside those containers certainly piques my interest. It appears to tie in with the upcoming LEGO City Farm sets, and gives us our first look at a new plant piece (similar connections to the candle piece or the beanstalk piece from the upcoming wave of Super Mario sets, but with a branch off to the side). While that's not the main point of interest for this thread, I could see that being a very useful piece for a whole lot of different themes in the future!

Hopefully it won't be long before we see pics of the passenger train and station!

The set is ok. I just wonder why Lego fails to make iconic sets like in the 12V or 9V era and why there is no innovative use of Powered Up.

It would be interesting to see the pictures of the prototype the leak was based on. Maybe it had a more muted color scheme?

19 minutes ago, jus1973 said:

I think it was partially modelled after some of the passenger units used by the SBB, https://www.sbb.ch/en/station-services/during-your-journey/our-trains.html given the attempt at making a round front.

Have a look at the modern Bombardier

487 001

39 minutes ago, jus1973 said:

The car transporter being very high is also an issue.  I can see cars flying off,

They are fixed with the black brackets.

24 minutes ago, Lok24 said:

Have a look at the modern Bombardier

487 001

I can see what you’re getting at, and I think its probably where the staring point was for this model, but I think they missed the mark.  I think the screen, and the area just below doesn’t work well with the 90* curve at the sides.  Seems to me TLG could do with a 4x3x3 curved windscreen piece.  

38 minutes ago, jus1973 said:

I can see what you’re getting at, and I think its probably where the staring point was for this model, but I think they missed the mark.  I think the screen, and the area just below doesn’t work well with the 90* curve at the sides.  Seems to me TLG could do with a 4x3x3 curved windscreen piece.  

Agree 100%. They don't come close to matching the yellow 6060 arch profile to the brick built windshield and fascia. The result is clunky and sloppy looking.

48 minutes ago, jus1973 said:

Seems like a fusion of modern trains, there are also a few Siemens engines (especially the Siemens Taurus).

B.t.w. finally after 40 years a train set with a yellow helmet again ;) (I know we had the Toy Story Truck but apart from that...). Or is it some lime color? Could also be, but at least finally some different color again :)

I am afraid that the stacker cant put his load on the ground :pir-cry_sad:

The good point is that you can easily ad lights to locomotive (behind blue modified 1x1 brick you can see blue 1x3 panel with space for it):pir-huzzah2:

2 hours ago, legotownlinz said:

The set is ok. I just wonder why Lego fails to make iconic sets like in the 12V or 9V era and why there is no innovative use of Powered Up.

It would be interesting to see the pictures of the prototype the leak was based on. Maybe it had a more muted color scheme?

I think you are mixing up iconic and nostalgic. 

2 hours ago, legotownlinz said:

Nope

Thank you for that great, well thought out, reply.

Now that we have clearer images, I'll amend a couple of the things I theorized in my last post.   Unfortunately, the container wagon is only two-axle.  From the blurry images of last week, it appeared to have four axles and swiveling bogies.  Too bad, two less wheelsets to MOC with.   Is that drop-side wagon using a new piece?  The 4x6 modified tile with studs on the 6-long sides, and ratcheted connectors.   I can't recall having seen that one before.  Can anyone corroborate?   The mysterious cargo in that wagon is...an electric car charging station.  Well, I suppose there had to be a relatively-useless side build; it is, after all, a city train.  Looks like the car-carrier wagon is using two of the half-pieces from the 60282 fire truck's trailer.  That's ultimately more useful, since we can lengthen that wagon to squeeze in more electric cars, and laugh when it can't go around corners and tips over from top-heaviness.   Thankfully, this 60336 locomotive appears easier to install lights into than the predecessor 60198.  That's good.   It would appear that the plastic-only train wheelsets are being used.  I'd suspected that.   Lastly, I think I noticed that the end-loading-ramp buffer appears to use a magnetic coupler.  That would be a plus!!  It should protect the wagon from rolling away whilst attempting to unload the automobiles.   It's certainly not a day-one purchase for me, but I'll definitely be picking one of these up.  Perhaps there'll be a Black Friday sale for a discount available from some retailer?  One can only hope.   Now, where's the images of the 60337 Passenger Train, and 60335 Train Station???   :-)

5 minutes ago, icemorons said:

Is that drop-side wagon using a new piece?  The 4x6 modified tile with studs on the 6-long sides, and ratcheted connectors.

That was introduced last year for Vidiyo (used to attach the tiles to scan in the "beatbox" sets). Nice and versatile, though, so I doubt this is the last we'll see of it.

1 minute ago, Lyichir said:

That was introduced last year for Vidiyo (used to attach the tiles to scan in the "beatbox" sets). Nice and versatile, though, so I doubt this is the last we'll see of it.

Thanks!

I never bought any of the short-lived Vidiyo line, so I didn't have first-hand experience with that piece.   

I like the car transporter and the teal small waggon, which i would love to have a dozen.

Reachstacker is fine.

Locomotive is meh. It doesn't even have cab side windows!

18 hours ago, JopieK said:

B.t.w. finally after 40 years a train set with a yellow helmet again ;) (I know we had the Toy Story Truck but apart from that...). Or is it some lime color? Could also be, but at least finally some different color again :)

I think its this new neon vibrant yellow

I’m pretty sure its just regular yellow.

From the original (grainy) side profile image we got a while back, I was really hoping that the yellow curve of the cab was actually made up of this piece: 

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=76795&name=Brick, Round Corner 5 x 5 with Slope 45 Edge without Studs&category=[Brick, Round]#T=C

But the rim would be black, either by sticker or printing so as to match the rest of the cab…

TLG’s use of those giant arch pieces makes the loco look chunky/ unnecessarily boxy imho

Fingers crossed for the passenger train and station…!

21 hours ago, Toastie said:

That's why it comes with the solar charging station. This train only runs on sunny days.

1 hour ago, Polarlicht said:

I like the car transporter and the teal small waggon, which i would love to have a dozen.

Reachstacker is fine.

Locomotive is meh. It doesn't even have cab side windows!

I think its this new neon vibrant yellow

Cab side windows?

GM5yemY.png

There's an option as part 65734 is available in trans Clear.

Edited by Toxic43