9 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Nothing says happy winter holidays like an open side trolley/tram.

Well, it is two months to the soccer world thingy in beloved Qatar - maybe they bought a bunch of them - with the conductor and - if powered by PF/PUp - 1 to 2 passengers, they're almost always crammed with people!

Best,
Thorsten

16 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Nothing says happy winter holidays like an open side trolley/tram.

Honestly for short-distance local transit I don't think it makes too much of a difference—if you're bundled up for outdoor winter weather anyway, then traveling in the open air just means not having to re-acclimate to climate controlled air in between destinations. I do hope the trolley operator has some warm undergarments on, though, considering he doesn't have a scarf or gloves!

On 9/24/2022 at 4:24 PM, Sunil766 said:

Thanks that makes sense so far - except what's the point in the "coach wheelset"? A differential function can't be it, since maneuverability is not an issue with the 2x9V axles and the standard wheelbase. 

PS: I now understand that the second pair of wheels does NOT utilise axle_2 from the PU motor and the motor itself must be kept in place differently. Not being able to imagine the underbody of this tram I'd need to see a picture though - to understand why you wouldn't be able to keep the second pair of wheels and have a third one from the 9v motor in between... 

The axles of the motor would be too close together. To get a wider spacing between the axles, they did not use the second motor axle but used the wheel set that is otherwise used for coaches.

As this model is obviously a San Francisco cable car, a third axle would be wrong and might also prevent the model to run through curves.

So the Union Pacific railroad posted about a Lego (fan made) version of the Big Boy 4014 to their website and Facebook page. (see it on the UP website here)

It's not really news on sets per say, (I wish it was!) but it's still cool to see the operators / owners of the only running 4-8-8-4 recognize people want a Lego Big Boy, as apparently the FB post mentions instructions of some sort. Now if only LEGO would make the same realization...

Edited by Murdoch17

Has anyone converted the trolley to run with a 9V motor?

I assume the only reason they don't recommend the 9V motor is that the wheels are far apart and with Power-up one pair of wheels is replaced with the Power -up motor with only one pair of motor wheels removed.

6437134.pdf (lego.com) 

20 minutes ago, Dav1d said:

Has anyone converted the trolley to run with a 9V motor?

I assume the only reason they don't recommend the 9V motor is that the wheels are far apart and with Power-up one pair of wheels is replaced with the Power -up motor with only one pair of motor wheels removed.

6437134.pdf (lego.com) 

Digitally, yes. Real life, no.

52386639780_734d834a6f_z.jpg

I did change a heck of a lot about it to suit my tastes (and I didn't have the instructions at the time, so things might be wrong), but yes - it has a 9v motor, @Dav1d.

Edited by Murdoch17

A LEGO IDEAS TRAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Latest review results (2 hours ago) condfirmed Orient Express to be a new set.

This belongs to a separate thread in my opinion, and it’s nearly time, so I’m going to make a 2023 thread as they seem to be popping up in other themes as well.

EDIT:  Oops just saw the separate thread

https://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?/forums/forum/122-lego-train-tech/

Edited by Vilhelm22

On 11/23/2021 at 2:08 AM, Amoreternum said:

Pretty sure that both are no option for Lego. Mould King already has announced a quite good looking A4 and with a price tag of around 120 to 140, I don't see Lego releasing a loco based on the same prototype for a bit less but sans the coach, motor, smoke generator and tracks. With the Krokodil, they were the first, here, they would not be. Same goes for the Big Boy, there are already a few kits out there (although most look like rubbish like the Bluebrixx one or are stolen MOCs) but here the Krokodil set a standard for a more or less accurate locomotive - a Big Boy in that scale would demand new wheels and it needs a lot of them, and it would be huge both in size and parts count. Not sure if Lego would 'risk' that, and that's not even counting in the potential issues with R40s.

Well, I’ve just had a discovery that probably all of you know:the German express and the Orient express  from Mould King as well as the Orient express from Lego ideas actually have the same name and purpose as the Orient express!

not sure if it’s really that or is it just me?

On 6/14/2022 at 3:05 AM, JayCal said:

I have the 60337 (engine and carriages only) in ldraw format if you need it.

Fantastic job! I've been searching for a nose mod for 60337 for a while and stumbled upon this. Would love to get the build file if its still available @JayCal