As someone who didn't grow up with Thomas the tank engine this would be, if realized, yet another big missed opportunity for a good train set (for me). I just want to have something like the maersk train or another worthy successor of the Croc... Asking too much I guess. 

Has there been any consensus on if the Crocodile Locomotive was indeed meant to kickstart a new round of LEGO AFOL Trains, and if so, if it was a failure or a success? 

I was really hoping that we'd see some type of continuation of this micro-theme and with the disappointing release of the static HE, it feels like an empty future for AFOL Trains. 

I really think they dropped the ball with the new Hogwarts Express.  If they had made that to standard, then the door would be opened to lots of options to build more.  As it is, I’m not sure its the end of AFOL trains, but it does limit it.

Perhaps our best hope is for TLG to make use of the larger sized wheels in some classic 4-6-2 locos in regular train scale.

On 9/1/2022 at 3:28 PM, RedBrick1 said:

Has there been any consensus on if the Crocodile Locomotive was indeed meant to kickstart a new round of LEGO AFOL Trains, and if so, if it was a failure or a success? 

I was really hoping that we'd see some type of continuation of this micro-theme and with the disappointing release of the static HE, it feels like an empty future for AFOL Trains. 

It was stated somewhere, informally, that the Crocodile would be used to gauge interest in AFOL-oriented trains and, if successful, could be the start of a recurring theme (much like modular buildings became). This was somewhat vague and noncommittal, leaving us train fans not really knowing where we stand (but feeling jilted by the Hogwarts Express). 

On 9/10/2022 at 4:27 PM, Jordan S. said:

It was stated somewhere, informally, that the Crocodile would be used to gauge interest in AFOL-oriented trains and, if successful, could be the start of a recurring theme (much like modular buildings became). This was somewhat vague and noncommittal, leaving us train fans not really knowing where we stand (but feeling jilted by the Hogwarts Express). 

If I remember correctly, the croc sold out within a few hours of going on sale, which seems like a good message/sign to send to TLG.

From usual leak places...

New winter village set is a high street with a tram that can be motorised and runs on track...make your jokes now...

After seeing the new high speed train France is developing, I can see many similarities with the new LEGO passenger train, makes me wonder if there was some sort of collaboration, or just dumb luck, lol.

1 hour ago, Johnny1360 said:

After seeing the new high speed train France is developing, I can see many similarities with the new LEGO passenger train

Just looked it up - the "TVG of the future" (CNN reporting, wasn't it?) - did they borrow from the Japanese TGVs :pir-laugh:???

I believe no "real" collaboration - if so, TLG would have plastered the new high speed train with SNCF all over the hood :pir-huzzah2:

All the best,
Thorsten

3 hours ago, samsz_3 said:

make your jokes now

Well, a tram. Why not. There is the new gigantic HP - uhm - thing. A tram is OK. Better than a hoop of bricks not able to train along :pir-laugh:

Best,
Thorsten

10308 Holiday Main Street has just been revealed, which includes a trolley bus/tram.  First we’ve seen of an old style tram that I can think of in recent years so very pleased to see this one myself!  The set is £90/$100/€100.

https://www.lego.com/en-gb/product/christmas-high-street-10308

Edited by Vilhelm22

I think the tram looks pretty good. I don't have any of the winter village sets and don't want the buildings but I might piece the tram together or buy it split

It seems the trolley can be motorized and lit up with Powered Up elements. Looking at the photos on Brickset, only one axle had cross axle on it when "powered up", the other appears to be a regular wheel block. Meaning, the motor unit only is using one axle, with the other without any wheels on the other axle. Thus, I don't think 9v will work with it without heavy modifications. Also of note for PF users, it seems to similarly not have room for the Power Functions IR receiver.

Picture in question in spoiler due to size.

Spoiler

10308_alt5.jpg

Side note: I plan on making the trolley less of a cable car (it's current look resembles this type) and more into a Birney-like streetcar. I also will de-winter and de-Christmas it, and possible recolor a second copy blue instead of red, as there is trolley line in St. Louis, MO that uses replica Birney's in blue and red for a modern trolley line in an historic area called the Delmar Loop. (link to Wikipedia on the project, in case anyone is curious)

Anybody else going to modify their copy of this streetcar?

Edited by Murdoch17

9 minutes ago, Murdoch17 said:

Also of note for PF users, it seems to similarly not have room for the Power Functions IR receiver.

Well ... the PUp version renders the trolley a driver's only trolley, doesn't it? I'd say screw the driver and let the robots take over - no, I meant let the PF IR receiver take over, of course.

With a 9V train motor, certainly the axles are moving closer but - there will be all the space for the driver and the folks to be hauled ...

Best,
Thorsten

3 hours ago, Toastie said:

Well ... the PUp version renders the trolley a driver's only trolley, doesn't it? I'd say screw the driver and let the robots take over - no, I meant let the PF IR receiver take over, of course.

With a 9V train motor, certainly the axles are moving closer but - there will be all the space for the driver and the folks to be hauled ...

Best,
Thorsten

You can probably sit a minifig on the PF IR receiver.

9V would be the better to run all day and night around the Christmas tree because I hate batteries option.

What motor does the new tram use…? I thought the “simple” M-motor was retired, but apparently it (or the reincarnation?) is present in that new Lighthouse set…?

9 hours ago, Toastie said:

Well ... the PUp version renders the trolley a driver's only trolley, doesn't it? 

Not quite.... It's long enough that the battery box fits in the closed section, and the open sideways bench is still available for passengers:

10308_alt5.jpg

9 minutes ago, M_slug357 said:

What motor does the new tram use…? I thought the “simple” M-motor was retired, but apparently it (or the reincarnation?) is present in that new Lighthouse set…?

They suggest a train motor:

10308_alt8.jpg

As RacingBrick pointed out, with the track pack they show you can't make a loop... He reckons you're better off buying the City passenger train as a motorisation pack for this set.

1 minute ago, Duq said:

Not quite.... It's long enough that the battery box fits in the closed section, and the open sideways bench is still available for passengers:

Well, then the PF receiver may actually fit as well - as @dr_spock suggested - for seating a minifig passenger and a conductor :pir_laugh2:

4 minutes ago, Duq said:

They suggest a train motor:

Hee hee - those who can read/see are blessed :pir-laugh:

So that means all is good for 9V :pir-huzzah2:

Best,
Thorsten 

1 hour ago, Toastie said:

So that means all is good for 9V :pir-huzzah2:

I don't think so. They use only one axle and, correct me if I'm wrong, it is not possible to remove axles of a 9V motor.

5 minutes ago, legotownlinz said:

They use only one axle and, correct me if I'm wrong, it is not possible to remove axles of a 9V motor.

Well, it depends. See, literally all my 9V train motors can be readily opened - I simply cut off these little clamps at the bottom the moment I "needed" to. Some are used as power pickups, with others the motor died. So I just open one up, remove one axle, close it again: "9V Train motor, modified, for 10308".

Yes, I know, purists won't like it - even when the PF and PUp motors have screws at the bottom, so you can open them up and replace the motor. Which I find environmentally more friendly than throwing the whole thing away. Even more so, it is much more financially friendly, as the motors inside cost next to nothing :pir-laugh:  

But - I also use bricks from the Dark Side, drill holes where TLG simply forgot to make them, and so on and so forth :pir-skel: So my 9V compatibility assessment may not live up to standards ... but it works :pir-huzzah2:

Have a nice weekend and best regards,
Thorsten

The other day I saw a post in a LEGO Facebook group (can’t remember which one - I’m in loads of them) showing that the trains 40th anniversary set 40370 was available on the LEGO Shop US site for $19.99.  I’m in the UK and it was unavailable here clearly, and it’s sold out now in the US.  Do people think this was just getting rid of stock - and if so, any idea why it’s happened 2 1/2 years after the GWP was actually in production?

https://www.lego.com/en-us/product/lego-trains-40th-anniversary-set-40370

On 9/22/2022 at 11:25 PM, Murdoch17 said:

Thus, I don't think 9v will work with it without heavy modifications.

Reveal hidden contents

10308_alt5.jpg

indeed vanilla 9v doesnt work but i dont know if you can count using power pickups from a slotcar as heavy modifications. this hack is completeley destruction free and reverible:

after many years of stupidly expensive motors you just get creative...

22 minutes ago, Sunil766 said:

Why doesn't 9v work on the cable car when it relies on a PU motor with the same form factor? 

Because the 9v motor has two fixed axles while the pu moter can be disassembled. On the picture you see that only one axle is used, the other axle is a coach wheelset.

Thanks that makes sense so far - except what's the point in the "coach wheelset"? A differential function can't be it, since maneuverability is not an issue with the 2x9V axles and the standard wheelbase. 

PS: I now understand that the second pair of wheels does NOT utilise axle_2 from the PU motor and the motor itself must be kept in place differently. Not being able to imagine the underbody of this tram I'd need to see a picture though - to understand why you wouldn't be able to keep the second pair of wheels and have a third one from the 9v motor in between... 

Edited by Sunil766

6 hours ago, zephyr1934 said:

Nothing says happy winter holidays like an open side trolley/tram.

:laugh_hard: