10 hours ago, JayCal said:

Although I love trains, the new 60337 design is a little too sleek for my taste. I've been on the N700's in Japan and they really are still quite futuristic compared to most high speed trains around the world. I do like the lime green on the new train though. So I was thinking... what to do with this new train. And I came up with a model inspired by the Narita Express (so, still Japan based):

[image]

It wouldn't require that many additional parts and to me, looks more appropriate in any urban layout. Would love to know what you guys think.  

Oh that's very nice. Maybe just a little of a front slope but I really like that!

Very nice redesign @JayCal! The only thing it's missing is space to include the functional headlights :wink: I think one of the reasons I like it is it isn't the high-speed angled-front design we've seen for the past three trains now - it's about time we got a more flat-fronted commuter design...

22 hours ago, TeriXeri said:

To me the main thing the olden sets had an advantage over now, were the smaller expansion sets like wagons, service vehicles and crossings not being part of just the BIG set or station.

Now if you want a train, you overpay for the electronics if you want to expand it with more train sets, and you end up with another locomotive motor/battery box etc which are also sold seperately for replacement purposes.

Yeah, I definitely get how being able to pick and choose or buy multiples of specific wagons/coaches was a lot more collector-friendly than the current approach. At the same time, I also understand WHY that sales model didn't work out as well for LEGO as this one does.

Most LEGO sets these days are designed to ensure that even if they're a builder's very first set, they'll offer an experience that feels complete and rewarding enough on its own to convince that builder that LEGO is a toy for them. After all, if a kid purchases a LEGO set or receives one as a gift, only to learn that they can't really have much fun with it unless they spend a lot of money on additional sets, that can leave them with a negative first impression of the LEGO brand and hobby as a whole.

Unlike the current train sets, coaches and wagons individually don't really offer too much appeal as a play experience or even as a display piece — and their appeal as "expansion sets" is pretty much limited to people who already have either one large train set or several smaller ones. It's sort of like why LEGO doesn't sell the middle floors of the Modular Buildings as separate expansion kits. As much as it would be appreciated by some buyers looking to grow their modular layouts, a set like that would have little appeal for anybody who didn't already have the sets they'd need to incorporate them into a more complete building.

The main ways that I could see LEGO successfully bringing back individual wagons outside the context of full trains these days would be either as part of a set depicting a particular railway scene (for instance, a set similar to 7838 or 4555, where the play value in the context of the surrounding scene helps balance out the lack of a locomotive), or as a 3-in-1 set that can build either freight wagons, coaches, or locomotives (sort of like 10183, or like a full-size version of 4837 or 31015).

Alternatively, freight wagons, railway buildings/structures, train tracks, etc. could perhaps be incorporated into sets from other subthemes that would introduce other sorts of play scenarios — for example, a police set with crooks hiding out in or robbing a freight yard, or a firefighting set with firefighters responding to a tanker car spill, or a container crane set with a flatbed car for the crane to load containers onto.

In short, I don't have high hopes for LEGO bringing back sets that ONLY contain individual train wagons/coaches… but I can still envision other potential ways that LEGO could introduce new coaches and wagons outside the context of full-length trains, especially now that so many City sets are depicting more varied types of locations and scenery than just police/fire/coast guard stations, construction sites, etc.

Edited by Aanchir

Although I love trains, the new 60337 design is a little too sleek for my taste. I've been on the N700's in Japan and they really are still quite futuristic compared to most high speed trains around the world. I do like the lime green on the new train though. So I was thinking... what to do with this new train. And I came up with a model inspired by the Narita Express (so, still Japan based):

[image]

It wouldn't require that many additional parts and to me, looks more appropriate in any urban layout. Would love to know what you guys think.  

Much nicer looking than the official Lego version.

6 hours ago, JayCal said:

Thanks guys,

Although the ICM/koploper by NS/dutch railways is a well known model to me (it used to be my main train to work for 6 years), this one actually wasn't inspired by the ICM/koploper but more so by the Japanese Narita Express. It shares many design similarities though. 

Thanks for the idea! That works much better. Here's a version with the battery/motor at the front (and a Narita Express reference to boot). Putting the battery on top of the motor actually helped me disguise the controls on the battery box as well. They are now accessible by lifting the entire cockpit roof.

[image] 

That is indeed a great looking train as well. The Japanese know what they are doing with their train system (we should let all NS/Prorail people take internships their ;)).

(Uh, you know that a 9V metal wheels motor does not need batteries b.t.w. don't you? ;))

On 5/4/2022 at 9:21 PM, Aanchir said:

Most LEGO sets these days are designed to ensure that even if they're a builder's very first set, they'll offer an experience that feels complete and rewarding enough on its own to convince that builder that LEGO is a toy for them. After all, if a kid purchases a LEGO set or receives one as a gift, only to learn that they can't really have much fun with it unless they spend a lot of money on additional sets, that can leave them with a negative first impression of the LEGO brand and hobby as a whole.

That is entirely correct. However, there are multiple alternative examples, where exactly that additional sets approach seem to work well. It does not work for TLG because they do push an entirely different business model. That is fine, it is their carefully and consciously decided choice.

Take a look here: Link deleted due to forum rules (by me) and then argue that this business model does not work. These folks expand, have opened multiple stores (actually "mega"-stores; it appears as if nothing works anymore without hyperbole). Are they targeting kids? No. But it works. So TLG could do the same thing - with certainly less profit as they currently rake in, for sure. And that is their choice - and is fine with me.

TLG also targets the entirely non-kids market - with their black boxes containing bricks to make shoes and stuff. Again: Entirely profit optimized. As is everything in their universe; either by minimizing part count (e.g. City) or maximizing price (e.g. 18+). Again: I am entirely fine with that; they are successful, and that is what rules.

They just lose me more and more - and this does not make any difference to them. Nor to me, as I found alternatives, I am very happy with. Win-win!

Best,
Thorsten   

Edited by Toastie

On 5/2/2022 at 9:24 AM, Legownz said:

I’m very much a fan of long 6w trains so I’m a fan of the proportions!

Me three !… I like long cars for trains, and really think the passenger train is not at all bad !… 😀 

it would be nice to get another car for it though… 🤔 

3 hours ago, Wimmer said:

it would be nice to get another car for it though… 🤔 

It would, but this has been a standard for Lego passenger trains for a while now, right? Nearly every passenger train set since the 12v era that I can think of either was

A. 1 locomotive and 2 passenger cars

B. 2 locomotives with passenger compartments and 1 passenger car

I do appreciate that they've gone back to the "A" formula though. Makes it easier to buy 2 sets and add more passenger cars.

So the new passenger train is the first standard release passenger train set since the Metroliner to have doors in the coaches.  That automatically makes this the best standard release passenger train since the Metroliner to me.

I really like the new station too.  Sure it's no 2150 the "good version" of Grand Central Station* but for every Grand Central Station equivalent in real life where I live, there are a dozen "shack" stations like the new set.  The new set is probably the most realistic (around me) modern passenger station Lego has ever made.  If anything the "shack" is too big.

*seriously if I have to pick between yellow and red for a building color I will pick red every time.  Now that tan modern remake version of Grand Central Station posted earlier, that would be awesome.

6 hours ago, JopieK said:

That is indeed a great looking train as well. The Japanese know what they are doing with their train system (we should let all NS/Prorail people take internships their ;)).

(Uh, you know that a 9V metal wheels motor does not need batteries b.t.w. don't you? ;))

Thanks! I loved to travel by train when I was in Japan. So many cool models and routes. Some run on serious narrow tracks.

Ps. I was lazy and grabbed the 9V motor from the official parts list. Fixed it just now in my digital model ;-)

5 hours ago, JayCal said:

I was lazy and grabbed the 9V motor

In my opinion, that represented a) a very nice statement and b) a fine taste for quality and functionality, rather than being lazy.:pir-huzzah2:

Best
Thorsten

23 hours ago, JayCal said:

Although the ICM/koploper by NS/dutch railways is a well known model to me (it used to be my main train to work for 6 years), this one actually wasn't inspired by the ICM/koploper but more so by the Japanese Narita Express. It shares many design similarities though.

I like the fact that (if I'm not mistaken) you've keep the cars from the set largely unchanged and it still works amazingly well. I would encourage you to make your design available (for free or for pay) once the set is released as you have improved greatly upon it.

17 hours ago, JopieK said:

I was going to say that I didn't think LDraw had the battery motors...

Ps. I was lazy and grabbed the 9V motor from the official parts list. Fixed it just now in my digital model ;-)

... but assuming that is a LDraw model shows what I know

23 hours ago, JayCal said:

Thanks guys,

Thanks for the idea! That works much better. Here's a version with the battery/motor at the front (and a Narita Express reference to boot). Putting the battery on top of the motor actually helped me disguise the controls on the battery box as well. They are now accessible by lifting the entire cockpit roof.

Very nice, I would say your motor unit and these wagons works great together.

I think I will buy that passenger train, get a remote that way, and LEGO B&P/Bricklink a third car for it afterwards ?…

Then I have another train in good colors again, after selling off my HE on Bricklink last year. 

Edited by Wimmer
Spelling

Train station ended up at €80 instead of €100, so that's at least some "good" news.

Edited by TeriXeri

19 hours ago, Toastie said:

Take a look here: https://www.bluebrixx.com/de/bluebrixxspecials/trains and then argue that this business model does not work. These folks expand, have opened multiple stores (actually "mega"-stores; it appears as if nothing works anymore without hyperbole). Are they targeting kids? No. But it works. So TLG could do the same thing - with certainly less profit as they currently rake in, for sure. And that is their choice - and is fine with me.

Interesting link thanks :classic:

I am aware that clone brand discussion is not really accepted on Eurobricks (or historically it certainly wasn't, maybe I missed a recent memo), so I will try to limit what I say here.

But the Bluebrixx stuff does look really nice. Obviously, plastic quality clutch power etc may vary, but the sticker price seems very fair.

I was always against the nastier clones, since Megablocks emerged 20 years or so ago, because the aesthetics of their designs were horrible.  And I don't like the ones that just steal TLG or AFOL IP.

But some of the Bluebrixx looks really nice.  The DB double deck pax car for example, or the Santa Fe Alco A-B-A set https://www.bluebrixx.com/de/trains/103984/US-Stromlinenlokomotive-BlueBrixx-Special

I have personally made my peace with certain clone stuff: first it was things like BuWizz which are just unique and extend the ecosystem.  More recently I have been buying clone Power Functions motors and receivers, which TLG no longer produce.  The quality is very hit and miss, but eh.  The prices aren't excessive.

Any serious AFOL train fan might want to make their peace with clone stuff, and many probably have.  And at this point 'clone' is probably the wrong term anyway for hobby sellers and companies producing unique designs and parts.

Of course, purist TLG collectors won't want to cross that bridge, but they make a hobby out of being dissatisfied anyway, it's a sort of form of voluntary masochism / unrequited love affair ("TLG just don't love me back") :grin:

Edited by andythenorth

Let's keep it about "LEGO Trains 2022" not about knock-offs :)

26 minutes ago, JopieK said:

knock-offs

Define "knock-offs" :pir-laugh:

One thing that is always (as far as I am concerned) smart: Explore, where the competition is. Or heading to. What they do. And then: Stay ahead - in business, that is. Well, partly in research as well, supposed you run a larger fraction of your activities - or better research "staff" (= BSc/MSc/PhD students + post docs) - on soft money. As I do ;)

BB "Specials" are mostly if not entirely designed by BB designers. That is not that much of a knock-off, but rather original designing. Same thing TLG is doing with IDEAS or the "other" program on BL, they boldly purchased. The bricks the BB folks use are of course from China - but the patents ran out for long - so in the real world we are living in, these aren't knock-offs, but commonly available products. Other than in TLG universe, of course. Or in the mindset of their inhabitants. All fine with me.

There is one thing, I really don't like at all: Don't watch, don't listen, don't say anything - about things you know by experience and validation.

But then: We all agreed to the EB forum rules. So I have deleted that link in my above post.

Regards,
Thorsten

P.S.: @andythenorth sorry for getting you in trouble - you may want to consider removing your link to BB as well ...

Edited by Toastie

38 minutes ago, JopieK said:

Let's keep it about "LEGO Trains 2022" not about knock-offs :)

Sorry I forgot this was the 2022 thread, not the "lego don't want my money thread", apologies :blush:

22 hours ago, Legownz said:

It would, but this has been a standard for Lego passenger trains for a while now, right? Nearly every passenger train set since the 12v era that I can think of either was

A. 1 locomotive and 2 passenger cars

B. 2 locomotives with passenger compartments and 1 passenger car

I do appreciate that they've gone back to the "A" formula though. Makes it easier to buy 2 sets and add more passenger cars.

When we had the EN, I bought three sets. One to keep and the other two to give me an extra car each (since it only came with the one). 
So I have a stuffed EN box with a total of three cars. 
Would like to do something similar with this passenger train. 

I'm a fan of the new sets so far. The freight train has an interesting loco, and I really like the auto rack. I actually think the different colors go nicely together. The locomotive probably could have been one brick or 2/3 bricks higher to even the set out though. 

I love that they went back to putting doors in the passenger train. I'm thinking that this one will look even better in brick. I also really like the length of the train, and if you want to expand it, you can get two kits and you'll have a nice long train!

I'm fine with the station. Where I'm at in the US, stations are basically non-existent, and the few that are around, aren't too far off from this design. I like that it has a lot of transparent elements and some nice colors, like the contrast of the teal and the nougat(?) masonry bricks. I also love the bus!

Nothing that really blows me away, but I think they are nice offerings.

@Toastie / @andythenorth, the URL's are fine I would say, but if we would have a topic (if I remember correctly the official EB stand is it should be in Community) on non-LEGO brands that would obviously be a better place. Who is inspired by who is indeed also very difficult. We could argue that LEGO also copied the design 10277 (and the EN), but if we want more realism I guess most of us copy designs.

New sets, to me , are sincerely uninspiring - apart the Crocodile, the TGV, the Emerald night - which were a bit more "serious".

I bought two 60197 to have a spare PuP box and one more wagon to have a "complete" set. Built them last week and...sincerely:

• That yellow nose is too big, too strange, too ugly, too long compared to the front bogie.
  • Wagons are always the same model of 10 years ago, but this time the choice of colors is nice!
  • The train does not transmit any "satisfaction" when you see it running around. You are not WAITING for it to point its nose towards you...any time you see it passing,you find some ungraceful proportions. 

And I cannot even transform it in something else, since bricks are basically non-existent.

It has already been said - these are "hit and run" toys. There's no train system behind them, no possibility to expand them, apart for tracks. :pir-sceptic:

54 minutes ago, Paperinik77pk said:

It has already been said - these are "hit and run" toys.

Pretty much so ... I don't have them; nice to read your judgement.

Now, since you have two sets - does the PUp App app for this train allow you to control both motors "in parallel"? Do you "pair" one remote with two hubs and then off you go?

Best,
Thorsten

38 minutes ago, Toastie said:

Pretty much so ... I don't have them; nice to read your judgement.

Now, since you have two sets - does the PUp App app for this train allow you to control both motors "in parallel"? Do you "pair" one remote with two hubs and then off you go?

Best,
Thorsten

Ciao Thorsten! I've not tried yet, since I initially kept only one motorized "head", and then changed the PuP motor with a 9v one (removing all batteries weight), to run the train on the small track I have in my mountain's house. But I've to try it, since the new garden scale locomotive will have two motors - so I've to choose if PuP or PF! :pir-blush: