19 minutes ago, Tube Map Central said:

The station is just a miserable shed. It is utterly lacking in excitement or style, I've seen more interesting looking buildings in retail parks. Other posters on the forum have accused Lego designers of being lazy recently and I certainly see this as an example. Disney, Winter Village and Harry Potter all get better looking stations than this. Give the trains over to the Friends designers (seen the new theatre school?) or better still, this guy, he knows how to make a station look exciting and give it play value

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/d877ae63-11e8-4e20-ac19-97c72ebe25c6

I agree, but I wouldn't blame the designers. Maybe LEGO told the designers they wanted a certain look to the City sets. The Fire Station, Police Station, Grocery Store, and even the Passenger Train have those newer very long 1x8 (I believe) slope bricks. There is a very modern feel to LEGO City right now. 

10 minutes ago, Toastie said:

As I absolutely share your judgement on the appeal of the would-be-station, I really don't believe the TLG designers are lazy, in contrast. I believe that there is marketing (and accounting) telling them "make a station - any station - with a maximum of these bricks'n'plates" (accounted for by cost, not number). I believe when they see their allowance, they certainly need some help from Jack Daniel or any other guy in that branch and then begin their work. Which is more of a headache than any fun, so I believe. And when they have come up with something, it goes to accounting. They then have a program that a) takes as many pieces out without letting the structure collapse and b) optimize everything color-wise, i.e. use as many pieces currently in surplus. b) does not bother me, see above, a) does not bother me because I won't buy that "station" as it is a shed. Miserable or not, but a shed.

And man is that IDEAs train station nice. Wow. I missed that, think you for referencing that one. Will never ever be approved - as it is not an Addidas shoe or the like.

Best,
Thorsten

You are absolutely right. 

And yup, as Tube Map shared, THAT'S a station I would buy!

But to be honest, the last stations were also "OK". For example 7997 or 60050. But the new one is, ahm, ugly.

8 hours ago, Ondra said:

Im alone in this or is there anybody else crazy about long passenger wagons?

I’m very much a fan of long 6w trains so I’m a fan of the proportions!

1 hour ago, Tube Map Central said:

The station is just a miserable shed. It is utterly lacking in excitement or style, I've seen more interesting looking buildings in retail parks. 

Well at least they're designing from real life then.

When I said "lazy" I mean the company, not the designers. I have just now seen the passenger train and it looks pretty good. I like the long carriages and the doors (though would be even better to see them at the ends of the carriages, they look a bit strange in the middle) and the lights. This passenger train looks like the designer did the best they could within the boundaries they have to work in (mostly involving the powered up system. Trains could benefit more from their own non battery, metal rail system, or even something like the DCC system for example) The station looks okay but a bit overpriced. I still really dislike the cargo train, and powered up, but the designer did a great job on the passenger train so a big thumbs up for the design of that :thumbup:

The station is just a miserable shed. It is utterly lacking in excitement or style, I've seen more interesting looking buildings in retail parks. Other posters on the forum have accused Lego designers of being lazy recently and I certainly see this as an example. Disney, Winter Village and Harry Potter all get better looking stations than this. Give the trains over to the Friends designers (seen the new theatre school?) or better still, this guy, he knows how to make a station look exciting and give it play value

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/d877ae63-11e8-4e20-ac19-97c72ebe25c6

Seriously this is city train station for 60 euro, and you give example around 4x price?

Do you know how much cost Studgate? 350 euro...

Some people are out of touch...

I don't think the station is that bad, the set price is listed as €80 on Stonewars , €100 on Promobricks ? ? .

If it is €100 that's quite steep despite the 900+ pieces (especially if LEGO exclusive)

Either way, if minifig costs are spread across all  segments, let's say the bus is €20-25 , the service vehicle €15-20, the rest to crossing , rails and station.

Can't compare that to some big modular that's at least €200+.  (with no 30-40% of it's budget going to side-vehicles)

I have a feeling a lot of inspiration from the station came from this

4532-1.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

35 minutes ago, allanp said:

I still really dislike the cargo train, and powered up

Well, I don't like the cargo train either, so - I don't care :pir-laugh: (Actually, I am glad to give >easy< passes on all three new train sets, otherwise it would have been: "Let the discussions begin" with the financial department = my wife).

However, when it comes to trains, PoweredUp really kicks in. I don't mean remote controlling nor the stupid battery crunching, but rather automation - either full or semi or just here and there. And not with TLGs graphical phone/tablet software (which BTW has "matured" into a rather congested, complex environment - reflecting the sheer HW/firmware functions the hubs/sensors/actuators come with), but - as usual - with 3rd party open source software (PyBricks, Legoino, and others). Regarding the latter, PoweredUp becomes so much more, PF ever was/was designed for.

All the best,
Thorsten   

1 hour ago, Ondra said:

Seriously this is city train station for 60 euro, and you give example around 4x price?

Do you know how much cost Studgate? 350 euro...

Some people are out of touch...

I can buy the most recent Harry Potter station, separated out from the train, for £25 on eBay, it oozes style compared with the miserable shed.

I didn't even mention Studgate. How much do you think a reissued modernised 4554 would cost?

I'm perfectly in touch thank you very much.

3 hours ago, Toastie said:

As I absolutely share your judgement on the appeal of the would-be-station, I really don't believe the TLG designers are lazy, in contrast. I believe that there is marketing (and accounting) telling them "make a station - any station - with a maximum of these bricks'n'plates" (accounted for by cost, not number). I believe when they see their allowance, they certainly need some help from Jack Daniel or any other guy in that branch and then begin their work. Which is more of a headache than any fun, so I believe. And when they have come up with something, it goes to accounting. They then have a program that a) takes as many pieces out without letting the structure collapse and b) optimize everything color-wise, i.e. use as many pieces currently in surplus. b) does not bother me, see above, a) does not bother me because I won't buy that "station" as it is a shed. Miserable or not, but a shed.

And man is that IDEAs train station nice. Wow. I missed that, think you for referencing that one. Will never ever be approved - as it is not an Addidas shoe or the like.

Best,
Thorsten

I recall you have an industrial background? An engineering friend of mine always had the saying, "You can build up to a specification or down to a price". In his opinion, companies that built down to a price always delivered rubbish.

1 hour ago, allanp said:

When I said "lazy" I mean the company, not the designers. I have just now seen the passenger train and it looks pretty good. I like the long carriages and the doors (though would be even better to see them at the ends of the carriages, they look a bit strange in the middle) and the lights. This passenger train looks like the designer did the best they could within the boundaries they have to work in (mostly involving the powered up system. Trains could benefit more from their own non battery, metal rail system, or even something like the DCC system for example) The station looks okay but a bit overpriced. I still really dislike the cargo train, and powered up, but the designer did a great job on the passenger train so a big thumbs up for the design of that :thumbup:

Looking at the comments of various forums such as Brickset, the consensus seems to be that the Friends range is really hitting the target, and the police-obsessed petty-crime-obsessed city range is falling behind. Looking at recent sets, I agree. Both are produced by the same company. 

The train station is a very strong design IMO! It feels very authentic to real-world train stations I've traveled through, albeit more modern and well-maintained than some of those have been! And it has most of the sorts of features we've come to expect from City train stations (a cafe/snack bar, a ticket desk, a waiting area, a bike rack, a control room/main office, a railway map, and even an automated ticket kiosk).

The mosaic tile wall and tree are both charming details that make the setting feel bright and lively, and the grocery store advertisement on the bench feels like a very realistic detail for a modern-day urban setting like this. I do think there's some room for improvement. As nicely as the set incorporates the new road system, I can't help but wish it included a pedestrian crossing to make it easier for people to get to the station on foot! A bike lane could also be a nice addition to complement the bicycle and bike rack.

The bus is a lovely design that makes great use of the new double doors, just as the passenger train does. Of course, unlike the passenger train, this bus isn't really wheelchair accessible unless you add your own bus stop builds with integrated ramps or wheelchair lifts to your layout. On that note, the station platform doesn't have a wheelchair ramp or lift either, though it would not be too hard to add a ramp similar to the one in the passenger train set (especially if you're one of the folks who plans to buy two of that set to add a second locomotive to the back of the train).

21 minutes ago, Tube Map Central said:

I can buy the most recent Harry Potter station, separated out from the train, for £25 on eBay, it oozes style compared with the miserable shed.

I didn't even mention Studgate. How much do you think a reissued modernised 4554 would cost?

As much as I'd love to see a new train station with the sort of grandeur as 4554, I think it's wildly unfair to call this station a "miserable shed" for not being that same monumental, ornate style of big-city passenger terminal.

After all, this station building seems at LEAST as substantial, comfortable, and inviting as the ones in 7822 and 7824 from the 12-volt era, which had similar outdoor waiting areas. And in real life, most metropolitan areas with magnificent station terminals like 4554 ALSO have plenty of smaller train stations like this one.

Edited by Aanchir

@Aanchir, for most AFOLs they are just a parts set. Nice to have in the end, but we often rebuild it to our liking don't we! Same for bus stop, station platforms, etc.

@Tube Map Central, there is a new book out on Apple, the strife between Jonathan Ivy (an engineer) and Tim Cook (a businessman), called "After Steve". That is what happens is the soul is out of a company. Even though I must say that the newest Apple stuff is at least a lot better than the crap from at least last half a decade.

24 minutes ago, Tube Map Central said:

I recall you have an industrial background? An engineering friend of mine always had the saying, "You can build up to a specification or down to a price". In his opinion, companies that built down to a price always delivered rubbish.

Spoiler

Well no, my group (which is me + a 30+ folks university research group - undergraduates, graduates, PhDs, post docs and permanent staff) is working with some companies apparently playing in the global market, semiconductors and stuff. I love the diametral "positions": University, SOE, basic research vs HighTech, no time, insane salary - but they give us money and facilities (not from me, Ghostbusters ;) ... a lot of money ... of these 30+ folks, 25+ run on soft money ... and yes, I do pay undergraduates for their research work and teaching. 

Oh yes, this is how it is. So true! The thing though is, once you have a solid reputation (and reinforced in education, classrooms ...) and operate in an essentially "receiving" market ("why does TLG not give us ..."), the down-to-a-price approach actually makes economic sense. To a certain extent - and as far as I am concerned, time span. The competition is building. Strongly. And with ever-increasing pace.

We'll see.

So far, we have a new shed :pir-huzzah2:

Best,
Thorsten

4554, according to Bricklink, has 555 parts, we are hardly talking bank-busting stuff here. It's not a grand terminus in European terms, it is a town station or a substantial commuter station.

Since when did Lego have to be AUTHENTIC?! It's a toy, it is supposed to be inspirational and aspirational, not crush children's spirit with the grim realities that when they travel be train the best they can hope for is a miserable shed. What happened to the excitement and romance of travel?

Clacton-on-Sea, population 60,000. This is our station. The town has problems, and the station has seen better days, but we hang on, and it is most certainly not a miserable shed. This is UK authentic, we have good railway stations here.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clacton-on-Sea_railway_station#/media/File%3A2013_at_Clacton-on-Sea_-_station_frontage.jpg

1 hour ago, JopieK said:

@Aanchir, for most AFOLs they are just a parts set. Nice to have in the end, but we often rebuild it to our liking don't we! Same for bus stop, station platforms, etc.

@Tube Map Central, there is a new book out on Apple, the strife between Jonathan Ivy (an engineer) and Tim Cook (a businessman), called "After Steve". That is what happens is the soul is out of a company. Even though I must say that the newest Apple stuff is at least a lot better than the crap from at least last half a decade.

Not especially, I'm a UX researcher and Apple stuff is garbage compared with 20 years ago. They care more about the coolness of features than whether people can actually make use of them. I should know, I bought my first Mac in 1990.

Edited by Tube Map Central

13 minutes ago, Tube Map Central said:

What happened to the excitement and romance of travel?

What happened? Reality paired with delusion - and making max. profit - when it comes to TLG.

Honestly? I believe in the "current" world, excitement and romance of travel is an SUV with Bose All Around Sound System, 20°C constant internal temperature (or as you see fit), no care-about-gasoline-endless-supply, multiple airbags around you, about 2 cm of metal armor around you, and a navigation system that can elevate you above any traffic jam, and always finds a parking spot next to the entrance of a super mall having it all. Held at 20°C. Optionally, AIM9 SideWinders to clear way.

I ride my eBike to work, 30 km return trip, 200 m elevation, recharged by a panel on the garage. Rain? Sure, most of the stuff does not hit you(!), but others :pir-laugh:. Temperature? Matter of insulation, at least where I live, mid-Germany. What do they call me? At best "though" - mostly "weird".

Maybe that happened to the romance of travel - I believe that I am a most fortunate individual, having such an opportunity to "travel" to work. It always depends on the perspective ...

I can clearly see your reasoning. Not surprising, I guess.

Best,
Thorsten

Wouldn't that be the marketing point if TLG were sincere and wanted to encourage train travel?

Look at the train, it can take you to wherever you to go, look at the station, isn't it exciting, it's almost a cathedral, just think of the possibilities!

Instead we get, "here is the station, it's a miserable shed but it is at least clean, now stop asking questions:

I am detecting cynicism as well as laziness now ...

Edited by Tube Map Central

5 minutes ago, Tube Map Central said:

Wouldn't that be the marketing point if TLG were sincere and wanted to encourage train travel?

Absolutely!

That's the railway station of "my" town "Gruiten" - somewhere (nowhere) in Northrhine-Westphalia, population 6000:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haan-Gruiten_station

Did that for 20 years, now on the bike.

Best,
Thorsten

Look at the train, it can take you to wherever you to go, look at the station, isn't it exciting, it's almost a cathedral, just think of the possibilities!

Instead we get, "here is the station, it's a miserable shed but it is at least clean, now stop asking questions:

I am detecting cynicism as well as laziness now ...

Your tastes aren't universal. I like beautiful train stations. I also like functional ones, and this one looks clean, modern, and welcoming... to me, this is beautiful in its own way. The art wall, the touches of greenery, and the colorful mix of earth tones and brighter colors all create a comfortable space—at a more affordable price than a bigger, more classical station would go for.

I'd rather have seen the station, crossing, bus and service vehicle as seperate sets, however, this year a lot of the smaller sets went into Stuntz again.

2010 had the crossing with service vehicle seperate from the 2010 station.

However 2009 and 2010 also had 2 bigger bus sets.

I think if the bus set was seperate, it might've been more interesting for AFOL as well, to convert into extra long bus (18-24 meter)

Seperate crossing would also promote more road-plate city building expansion.

Edited by TeriXeri

9 minutes ago, Tube Map Central said:

No, it is objectively a rubbish miserable shed, you are just seeing it through your rose tinted Lego worship glasses

It’s a heck of a lot more realistic of a train station for the commuter rail in my metro area than a big rococo station would be. It is objectively a lot more like a modern train station that many kids will be familiar with, and thus more likely to identify with when they play with it. You’re just seeing it through your Grand-Central-polarized nostalgia glasses that won’t let any other kind of station through.

Seriously though, can we stop slinging this kind of language around? It’s a toy. Gosh.

21 minutes ago, Lyichir said:

to me, this is beautiful in its own way. The art wall, the touches of greenery, and the colorful mix of earth tones and brighter colors all create a comfortable space

Well, and that's entirely OK!

Been to a train station lately though? My guess is yes, but I really don't see a "comfortable space". The café appears to be ... empty (the guy though caught a croissant - and the ticket booth seems to have space for one customer, but no employees. Again, OK, we are living in a modern world. In that world, though, you either purchase your tickets online - or someone is actually sitting behind a desk, helping out. The latter is surely phasing out, as "we" move on.

All that is great, but certainly not representing a beautiful train station. It's a minimum and a mix of past and present.

Again: Which is OK for $XY!!!

Best,
Thorsten

2 minutes ago, icm said:

It’s a heck of a lot more realistic of a train station for the commuter rail in my metro area

Well, maybe in your area on the planet, not in mine. It all depends ... on so many things.

Best,
Thorsten

I sort of disagree with the sentiment that this is a lazy design at all, for example, there is a nice composition, a completely SNOT roof, six figures, of which I think five are new prints, an angled ramp which is built into the platform, a completely tiled level crossing, two actually decent vehicles, and a for once a not-jarring colour scheme, and this will probably be a 6+ set designed to building to the parameters which accompany sets built for children.