On 4/29/2022 at 2:04 PM, legotownlinz said:

The engine and the wagons are fine on their own, but they do not fit together. There are too many different colors. It seems they used whatever color was available instead of producing missing parts. With a consistent color scheme, the very same train would be quite appealing.

I doubt they chose the colors because kids prefer it this way but just to save money.

Here is a photograph of a freight yard I found online. How many different colours can you spot. 

https://www.bigstockphoto.com/image-308850763/stock-photo-freight-trains-on-city-cargo-terminal-railways-in-train-parking-arain-arrived-at-the-station-carg

34 minutes ago, Kalahari134 said:

Yeah, while I understand the desire for a "well-coordinated" train color scheme (like the still-lovely Maersk Train set), the reality of freight rail (at least where I'm from) is that a freight train will carry a lot of cars with varied color, branding, etc. Heck, this would probably be more realistic if the sides of the containers were graffitied as well.

Also, in regards to whether the color choices were to save money, the brown container panels at least are a brand-new recolor (whereas if they'd wanted them to match one of the other cars those were already available in teal from as recently as last year).

22 hours ago, Lyichir said:

Heck, this would probably be more realistic if the sides of the containers were graffitied as well.

Yes please, some very good art work on them wagons.

Thank you very much for the news! :classic:

Altough I've got some things to critisize, I really like the new Cargo Train: :wub:

- cars have no car doors :thumbdown:

- brown color for the countainers looks like if they were rusted

- no trap at both sides of the car carriage so, when you buy two sets, you could drive with the cars from one to the other carriage :thumbdown:

- missing truck to transport the containers / goods / loading station / cars to the terminal

- no building included

+ great accessory

+ electric loading station is a funny idea

+ amazing looking engine :thumbup:

+ great to get this new kind of car carriage :thumbup:

+ awesome container stacker :thumbup:

+ good minifigure selection

Passenger train pictures are out! https://zusammengebaut.com/lego-city-60337-personenzug-vorgestellt-147448/

I love the use of the double-doors on the coaches, especially since they allow for wheelchair access from the station platform! Sliding doors might be a little more accurate, but that would be harder to pull off without a specialized piece. As such, I can live with that inaccuracy, just as I can with the lack of accordion-fold doors on LEGO buses.

I'm not a huge fan of the windscreen choice on the front, since its contours don't feel very continuous with the side slopes. But it is a nice change of pace to have a brick-built front, and the bullet train style nose seems very authentic. I also like that lights are included, since I can't remember how long it's been since those were last included in a passenger train set by default instead of sold separately.

The color scheme is fantastic and really stands out from previous LEGO trains. I also think it's neat how triangular tiles were used to create an arrow/chevron pattern on the locomotive, instead of relying on prints or stickers to create that sort of pattern. The use of facet bricks between cars to minimize gaps is something I don't remember seeing in official sets, and I quite like it, even if it means the corridors between coaches are still just as narrow as they have been in previous train sets.

The onboard bike rack seems to be integrated very efficiently, and I also love the cleverness of the brick-built "saddlebags" on the bike itself! Very eager to see the interiors in more detail once additional pics and/or reviews start showing up.

Overall it's not a perfect train in my book, but it does manage to impress me quite a bit with its sheer novelty. After seeing all this originality, I'm even more eager to see what the train station will be like!

This is definately one of my favorite LEGO passenger trains ever, main downside is that you'd need 2 for a full train.

Brick built looks much more appealing to me compared to many previous prefab cockpits on high speed trains, even while the dome window isn't perfect, I think it's fine.

That train is something else from all those years, long baseplate for wagons, finally persons with dissabilities can seat inside.

I think and thats my opinion, it feels like virtual successor of set https://brickset.com/sets/4560-1/Railway-Express . Im getting similar vibes, which is really good for me. I loved that set!

Brickbuilding front nose is really great too. Im really interested in 2x purchase.

57 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

But it is a nice change of pace to have a brick-built front, and the bullet train style nose seems very authentic.

57 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

The color scheme is fantastic and really stands out from previous LEGO trains.

What about 10233? Yes, this one has DBG - but orange/black/white ... oh well, I am color-blind, so maybe it is not comparable.

Best,
Thorsten

1 minute ago, Ondra said:

Im really interested in 2x purchase.

Of course - otherwise, that train does not make much sense. I bet the PUp app "comes" with that set takes care of having two hubs, two motors, and two light sets to control. All doable. Will be interesting.

Best,
Thorsten

6 minutes ago, Toastie said:

What about 10233? Yes, this one has DBG - but orange/black/white ... oh well, I am color-blind, so maybe it is not comparable.

It's similar to 10233 on some levels, but I think the shape of this new train's nose more closely resembles a Shinkansen locomotive than a TGV locomotive. And yeah, this one's main color is Bright Yellowish Green instead of Bright Orange — so while the brightness is similar, this train is more of a "cool" color here instead of a "warm" one.

It's nice to see that other folks have a positive first impression of this set also. I'm not much of a train enthusiast so I'm used to my perspectives not lining up neatly with the perspectives of folks with a stronger knowledge of trains and passion for model railroading.

Of course, I'm sure there will probably be some people who are more bothered by how vibrant the color is (Vivid colors like Bright Yellowish Green can be pretty divisive, as I learned back in the days of LEGO Power Miners), or concerned with faults or inaccuracies I'm not even aware of! But it's good to know that the features of the set that impressed me like the wheelchair-accessible doors and working lights aren't just bad taste on my part. :blush:

Edited by Aanchir

I love the brick-built nose, and the station, while blurry looks great too, I love the teal bus.

Just now, Aanchir said:

Bright Yellowish Green instead of Bright Orange

Oh well - my world is much "simpler" as for many, I believe ;) Bright Yellowish Green = Bright Orange :pir-wink: = Bright ...

Thanks for letting me know - I feel a bit more educated.

Just ... weird colored circles for me:

default-e86fb5186cc929d513bf55b4cf56c235

And yes, I have such a T-shirt :pir-sweet:

Best,
Thorsten

Speculation on my part, but is it possible the passenger train contains the rumored new Powered Up train headlights?

Look at the front - the headlights are a 1x2 slope, with the light coming in from the side. Unless I’m mistaken, the only feasible way for this to work is if it was coming from a new 1x2 light-emitting brick placed alongside it. The existing Powered Up lights wouldn’t allow this angle.

The box says lights included. Am I reading too much into it?

Edited by Mr Hobbles

If those are the new trains for this year, I won't be buying either one of them - easy pass.  The only thing interesting is the car hauler.  

It's funny how no one here liked the cargo train, I like it.
Then most everyone here likes the passenger train and I HATE it. The shape of the loco is just a mess.

9 minutes ago, Maple said:

Then most everyone here likes the passenger train and I HATE it. The shape of the loco is just a mess.

I also love the new cargo train. The locomotive looks great and the rolling stock is refreshing.

The passenger train locomotive and the rolling stock look blocky compared to 60051 and 60197. It is a bit reminiscent of 6738.

It feels like a throwback to the 90's-style trains. 

It also contains more straight track (8x) compared to 60197 (4x). The front lights do look quite nice. As someone pointed out it might be a new design.

1 minute ago, Blacktron2 said:

I also love the new cargo train. The locomotive looks great and the rolling stock is refreshing.

The passenger train locomotive and the rolling stock look blocky compared to 60051 and 60197. It is a bit reminiscent of 6738.

It feels like a throwback to the 90's-style trains. 

It also contains more straight track (8x) compared to 60197 (4x). The front lights do look quite nice. As someone pointed out it might be a new design.

I love 60197. It's the one big front piece I really like! Probably my favorite City train in the last 20 years.
I don't like 60051, it's really just the pointy tips look very off in LEGO.

Plus the new one, super round white part, and very sharp edges above it.

I'm just glad to see new LEGO trains.  Do I Love them?, No.  Do I Like them?, Yes.  For Me a lot of the fun is figuring out ways to improve the places I think LEGO came up short.  Just by the nature of it Being LEGO there are trade-offs everywhere so anything I think I can do better I'll give it a shot.  That's the fun of LEGO Trains to me.  :classic:  (And now I'll need to figure out how to make a Muppets Train!  :laugh: )

Edited by JWBDolphins
add

Color choices aside, I think TLG designers have done plenty here to like.   Personally, I really like the lime green, if that's the actual color.   I like the brick-built locomotive front.  I like that the locomotive is using a 6x28 train base, rather than the usual 3x 6x24 from the prior two passenger trains.   I like that both passenger cars are made using the depressed-center half pieces, similar to the auto-rack's construction on the freight train.  I'm assuming the 6x34 depressed-center single base is now obsolete.  Overall, this 60337 passenger train is considerably longer than its immediate predecessors by a considerable margin.  TLG wisely chose to include 8 straight tracks, rather than the usual 4.   Included lighting for the locomotive is a huge plus.  I anticipate it will use the existing 88005 Powered Up Light, rather than a new part.   If it does, that's fantastic, as I have yet to get my hands on one.  If that works well, I'll get some to illuminate 60197 and 60198.   6 Minifigs when we usually get 3 or 4, that's good.   Using the new double-door 1x6x5 piece is great, and we'll be getting 4 of those!   I will definitely get two of these 60337 sets to combine into a single double-ended train, in time.   I'm also in for at least one 60336 cargo train.   Day one purchases?  Nope.  But I have four years to strike while they are on sale...   Now, where are the pictures of the train station?   (or have I not scrolled down far enough to see yet?)

Edited by icemorons

1 hour ago, Maple said:

I would agree that the cargo train is better than the passenger train. I really like the fcat that the passenger train has great carriages, and the nose can be modified into a more appealing shape if preferred, whereas that may be more difficlt to do when the colour scheme and shaping of the train is defined by a large moulded nose (that said, if the moulded nose is done well, like 60197, I do like them).

I am finding it hard to find a similar train in service, though this is probably the closest:

maxresdefault.jpg

1 hour ago, Mr Hobbles said:

Speculation on my part, but is it possible the passenger train contains the rumored new Powered Up train headlights?

Look at the front - the headlights are a 1x2 slope, with the light coming in from the side. Unless I’m mistaken, the only feasible way for this to work is if it was coming from a new 1x2 light-emitting brick placed alongside it. The existing Powered Up lights wouldn’t allow this angle.

The box says lights included. Am I reading too much into it?

I agree fully, that it will probably include powered up lights, which version however, I am not sure, it could be that the light is underneath the slope.

Passenger looks great! Though I'd say, the front is more Shinkansen-influenced than anything seen on western rails, but that was to be expected since it was called 'Bullet train' earlier.

Gotta say, both these trains are certainly different in a few aspects from the norm. I'll honestly take it over the same styles being rehashed every 4 years. The colors are cool, not my favorite, but very neat! I love the fact that we are using the lowered train bases for the passenger cars! Something we haven't seen since the 90s with the Cargo Railway or the Metroliner Club Car? I don't necessarily like the front design, but I do like that it is unique and brick built though. The lights coming with the train though? Wow! Was not expecting that and if it is a new light piece, all the better. Unsure if I'll want to spend the money to pick up either one or just save the money for my own MOCs. I don't think they are for everyone and they are certainly polarizing.