I actually kind of like this set. Like someone mentioned previously, it's nice that the locomotive doesn't rely on a preformed piece. Also, the colors are pretty different on this one. I like the teal wagon using the Vidiyo pieces and the extra vehicle is cool too. The container car is alright but doesn't stand out to me. The auto carrier is neat as we haven't gotten a 2 level auto car in a while, maybe ever? I might pick this set up if it's on sale at some point and use some of it for parts and keep a few things. Overall, I think it's an ok set. I'm with everyone else in wanting more trains geared towards adults, but I kept my expectations low for these City releases.

11 hours ago, Toxic43 said:

Cab side windows?

There's an option as part 65734 is available in trans Clear.

Then all other windows ned to be trans clear. Right now they are trans dark.

I also don't get why they mostly use trans dark ans trans light blue in areas which represent glass?

On 4/26/2022 at 10:54 PM, Ropefish said:

Some new images curtsy of reddit user/susunaaa 
77z7f5euuvv81.jpg?width=1437&format=pjpg
hckjrg7uuvv81.jpg?width=1438&format=pjpg
gte4ohkuuvv81.jpg?width=1438&format=pjpg
cwe12gquuvv81.jpg?width=1438&format=pjpg

Didn't expect much for this year's train sets. It was already heading in that direction since the 9V era.

Wished LEGO would make train sets with a little more realism.. 

4558-1.jpg

4564-1.jpg

10020-1.jpg?200202151200

This would actually be a great set if they would just include the locomotive, 3 or 4 of the green wagons and the crane that came with the 2015 cargo set.

gte4ohkuuvv81.jpg?width=1438&format=pjpg

60098_alt5.jpg

image.jpeg

So according to Promobricks Link Lego may be going the D2C route with this one and keeping only the passenger train for general retail distribution. Now that could mean that potentially, there will be a "Cargo Train" separate from this "Freight Train" akin to the 2015 60098 Heavy Haul Train which was LEGO D2C and a single other retailer (Smyths) here in the UK.
Or, on the other hand, it could mean that this set will see little to no discount at all through its service life of 4 years.

This is becoming rather disappointing. I can't even use it as a good source of train parts because of the new all plastic, high friction, wheel sets. brb, hitting up Bricklink.

FPgbEwB.jpg?1

Looks like I'm good for a little bit. I just checked and I think 84 should see me through a couple of replacements on these new trains.

Edited by Toxic43
Resized image smaller

@LEGOTrainBuilderSG agreed. This looks like a bare minimum offering, just uninspired and lifeless. The mains powered 9v trains (and system) were way better. What's worse is that, if this lazy attempt at a set doesn't sell, Lego will say "trains must be unpopular, let's not do trains any more". No Lego! Put some effort into making it something desirable!

I mean, look at the metroliner, with the way it's artwork and even the box it came in presents the model with its metal electrified rails, mains powered big yellow dial and all the people and everything. It's mostly grey (realistic at the time) and yet still feels full of life and colour. Compare that to this drab and lifeless offering in a cereal box, to quote some guy called Brandon "c'mon man!" They put so much time and effort into trying (and to me failing) to appear to be this, that and the other as a company that they forgot to put any effort into making a product I actually want to buy!

18 hours ago, Matt Dawson said:

That allows confirmation of:

all plastic wheels (no surprise): 38339

1/2 raised train base plate: 64954

The cab sides are black: 65734

dark blay 6x28 train baseplate: 92339

I feel conflicted about this set. For starters I think the train is ugly and not a fan of a set in general, but I also feel that if I want to keep the train theme going I am more or less obligated to buy it.

13 hours ago, LEGOTrainBuilderSG said:

Didn't expect much for this year's train sets. It was already heading in that direction since the 9V era.

You're quite right, those 9v sets were pretty terrible..

The Metroliner looks nothing like an actual Amtrak Metroliner, nor like any other Amtrak train.

The 4564 yellow cargo train has such silly wagons.  The van has a ridiculous 'flip letters and parcels out of an open door' play feature.  The hopper sacrifices realism and capacity to include an opening door mechanism that only a child could love.  The flatbed is side-loaded by a skip-loader/ hook-type truck, this is completely unrealistic.

As for the Santa Fe 301, it's a reasonable reproduction of an EMD F unit, but the nose is just made of crude bricks, it's not even completely SNOT.  The horns are ridiculously oversized, and the underframe detail is just a sticker.   It's really not a patch on my Athearn Genesis HO Santa Fe F-units. 

s-l500.jpg

Only a child could love Lego Trains.

Edited by andythenorth

What I have learned this year is LEGO fans will never be happy. Only a child can love LEGO Trains? Really? :facepalm: LEGO is a toy.

However being a limited release set does make me sad. I've gotten the current passenger train and cargo trains for $85 and like $108USD.

6 hours ago, allanp said:

@LEGOTrainBuilderSG agreed. This looks like a bare minimum offering, just uninspired and lifeless. The mains powered 9v trains (and system) were way better. What's worse is that, if this lazy attempt at a set doesn't sell, Lego will say "trains must be unpopular, let's not do trains any more". No Lego! Put some effort into making it something desirable!

Even if you don't like this set, it seems extremely unfair and inaccurate to blame that on "laziness". After all, it seems to me like quite a lot of effort was put into coming up with stuff like the custom cab design, the autorack build, the the cargo handler, and the EV charging station — as opposed to simply reusing "tried and true" subject matter and building techniques that we've seen more often in other train sets over the years. Calling them "lazy" just because the designer didn't focus their efforts on satisfying your personal expectations is a disservice to the work they do.

9 hours ago, *thomas* said:

This would actually be a great set if they would just include the locomotive, 3 or 4 of the green wagons and the crane that came with the 2015 cargo set.

image.jpeg

I definitely do enjoy seeing trackside builds like that which make the railway feel more like a fully realized setting. But on the plus side, I feel like LEGO has been making a LOT more sets focused on structures and scenery in recent years than they had been previously.

Perhaps in the years to come they might get back into making builds like freight depots sets of their own (perhaps even a sea/road/rail cargo transfer hub — wouldn't THAT be neat to see!) instead of builds that you can only get in a larger cargo train set. After all, compared to individual wagons/carriages, which offer very little play value unless you have a locomotive to pair them with, settings like train stations and cargo depots can offer more varied play experiences and storytelling scenarios on their own, while also nicely complementing other train sets.

If you guys think recent sets were uninspired and that 9V were better, best not to look at this thread, which shows what Lego Trains (officially) could've been:

@Aanchir I used a few unflattering terms and lazy is probably the worst I used. It does feel like a lazy attempt from the Lego group as a company (not any one individual Lego employee, that would indeed be unfair) at a train set compared to what they could do. That's just my feeling of it.

The engine and the wagons are fine on their own, but they do not fit together. There are too many different colors. It seems they used whatever color was available instead of producing missing parts. With a consistent color scheme, the very same train would be quite appealing.

I doubt they chose the colors because kids prefer it this way but just to save money.

Edited by legotownlinz

On 4/28/2022 at 4:05 AM, LEGOTrainBuilderSG said:

Wished LEGO would make train sets with a little more realism.

On 4/28/2022 at 5:31 PM, andythenorth said:

You're quite right, those 9v sets were pretty terrible..

I think the post showing the Metroliner 4558, Freight Rail Runner 4564 and Santa Fe Super Chief 10020 were examples of realism. I suppose 'realism' is relative - it is a toy built from LEGO where correct scale doesn't really work. 

It was sets 4559 Cargo Railway and 4565 Freight & Crane railway 4560 Railway Express where the realism took a dip.

9 minutes ago, Dav1d said:

I suppose 'realism' is relative - it is a toy built from LEGO where correct scale doesn't really work. 

This comment is far too reasonable, you need to increase the amount of froth :wink:

14 minutes ago, andythenorth said:

This comment is far too reasonable, you need to increase the amount of froth :wink:

I appreciate some sarcasm and irony, but this doesn't work when there is only the written word... 

On 4/28/2022 at 5:39 PM, Maple said:

What I have learned this year is LEGO fans will never be happy. Only a child can love LEGO Trains? Really? :facepalm: LEGO is a toy.

However being a limited release set does make me sad. I've gotten the current passenger train and cargo trains for $85 and like $108USD.

It’s not a toy.  Actually, it’s a highly sophisticated interlocking brick system.

32 minutes ago, Vilhelm22 said:

It’s not a toy.  Actually, it’s a highly sophisticated interlocking brick system.

Nah! Lego is a lifestyle man! It's a way of living......when you've got the money for it. 

3 hours ago, Poodabricks said:

Nah! Lego is a lifestyle man! It's a way of living......when you've got the money for it. 

True.  Splashed out a lot last year but now saving for travel funds instead.  You get the reference though right?

39 minutes ago, Vilhelm22 said:

True.  Splashed out a lot last year but now saving for travel funds instead.  You get the reference though right?

Yup! I've blown a lot myself only for the sets to end up as spare parts for MOCs or modifications. 

Edited by Poodabricks

According to JB spielwaren its about one day and few hours to start preorders of sets. Its like last year, ehen first photos were shown 2nd of May. Lego is sometimes boringly predictable.

Ugh, just wanna see the passenger train and station already!

Will they be largely disappointing, or somewhat palatable...?