2 minutes ago, scatmanjack said:

going from memory...

The mentioned Winter Train as well as recent Hogwarts Express come to mind...

It looks like Hogwarts is the only one to exclusively use beams and pins. Both Horizon and Winter Train used magnets in addition to the Technic connections. The Creator #40518 uses ball connectors but that seems to be by virtue of the scale. Seems like Hogwarts was a one-off...I don't think we have to worry about the magnetic couplers.

Im doing double take on this train, and I really starting to hate inconsistencies in height of locomotive and wagons with cargo.

Locomotive looks very good, but these wagons. Well its lego, so I can build anything on these baseplates.

But 180 euro just for locomotive that will sit on shelf, well there goes some thinking. Thats a lot of speed champions cars...

Just now, Ondra said:

Im doing double take on this train, and I really starting to hate inconsistencies in height of locomotive and wagons with cargo.

Locomotive looks very good, but these wagons. Well its lego, so I can build anything on these baseplates.

But 180 euro just for locomotive that will sit on shelf, well there goes some thinking. Thats a lot of speed champions cars...

I'll wait for better photos but I think that's where I'm at, too. And basically where I was with the last cargo train.

Is the front/back of the loco the same as the front of 60197 Passenger train?

3 minutes ago, Dav1d said:

Is the front/back of the loco the same as the front of 60197 Passenger train?

I don't think so...the downward curve isn't quite the same. It looks like the yellow piece is a 6060 arch with a curved slope as infill. Hard to say for sure but it looks brick built to me.

As others have said, there's quite a lot to like here.

If I remember correctly it's the first cargo set (at least for a long while) to come with no significant trackside structure, other than the end-loading ramp which is pretty minimal. The large amount of straight track is welcome too. The reach-stacker looks fantastic, one of the most realistic ones we've seen and with good real-world colour scheme.

Regarding the train itself, as a European I think the loco is great although I'd use a more muted colour scheme myself. The wagons each look great on their own, but together none of them seem to be in scale with the others which makes it feel a bit off overall.

Overall I'm looking forward to seeing more of this set!

This looks to be a decent offering. The locomotive, as others have noted, has the Siemens Taurus look. If they can get it to play the scales like the ÖBB locomotives on startup, I'd be in heaven.

Description from CIty 2022 forum:

Contents of the box: locomotive, flat-car, open-car, car transport, 2 electric cars, loading station, 2 cargo containers, pick-up trucks, railway stables, 33 railway segments and 6 minifigures.
Cool details and functions: The train and sound effects can be operated with the accompanying remote control or with the LEGO® Powered Up App via Smartphone/Tablet.
Gift for every occasion: This LEGO® City Railway Game is suitable as a birthday, Christmas or surprise gift for children and railway fans from 7 years of age.
Dimensions: The LEGO® City freight train is 9 cm high, 90 cm long and 6 cm wide.
Cool mini figures accessories: screwdriver, shovel, radio and telephone as well as fruit and vegetables.
Building and toy kit for children from 7 years of age: The LEGO® City toy set also contains simple construction instructions for each model.
33 Railway segments: The LEGO® City Freight Train includes 16 curved and 16 straight rail segments as well as a soft rail section.
 Guaranteed quality: Each LEGO® element meets strict industry standards to ensure consistency and compatibility and provide great building fun.
Safety comes first: LEGO® elements are tested for fall, heat, pressure and torsion to meet stringent global safety standards.

I actchually really like it looking at it more. Loco looks unique, like an electric European prototype. Colours looked a bit strange at first but it's growing on me. I think it would look pretty good pulling the passenger cars from the 2018 train. Also a surprisingly nice amount of straight track for a train set

Description above mentions a "loading station" but I am struggling to see one - unless you drive up the ramps on the buffer stop? Usually I don't like side builds, but I feel that could have been made a bit better. Guess the ramp is still safer than lifting on with the telehandler. 

Agree with what's been said above, wagons are pretty good. I really hope the box car has bogies. Last time we got more than one "long" wagon was 60052 (2014). Really like the car transporter,  I had 7898 as a kid, which I loved, but more cars is obviously better. Struggling to tell what the teal wagon is carrying, anyone able to make it out? I do wish it had four wagons, but we've not had that since 2006... :(

Overall so much better than the 2018 set imo.

14 minutes ago, samsz_3 said:

Guaranteed quality: Each LEGO® element meets strict industry standards to ensure consistency and compatibility and provide great building fun.
Safety comes first: LEGO® elements are tested for fall, heat, pressure and torsion to meet stringent global safety standards.

Wow! Industry standards - and global safety standards. I believe they should at least include the planets of our solar system as well. There is only a very slim chance that "meets solar system standards" will be challenged from folks living on Venus or Pluto.

I guess now they got me - the screwdriver made it.

BTW - they should define "tested for heat" :pir-laugh: 

Not for me, no chance to get $180 approved for another train set here :pir-huzzah2: Family seems to adjust to BB pricing (12 straight tracks, DBG: €9,99 - other than missing LEGO bit - no difference).

Best
Thorsten

Not a bad looking set.  I wonder if this set has gone over to the all plastic bogie wheel axles. 

1 hour ago, dr_spock said:

Not a bad looking set.  I wonder if this set has gone over to the all plastic bogie wheel axles. 

I'd say it's extremely likely the answer to your question would be yes.   Both the 71044 Disney train $330 (2019), as well as the 70424 Hidden Side Ghost Train Express $80 (2019), both used the new plastic bogie wheel sets.   The last to use the metal axles was 60197 and 60198, both released in 2018.   Since TLG made the announcement that they were transitioning to the new wheelsets, we haven't seen any new trains using the old metal axle ones.   

58 minutes ago, icemorons said:

we haven't seen any new trains using the old metal axle ones.

True.

Way too dangerous.

Man.

Best,
Thorsten.

The funny thing is, the old metal axle bogies, wheels, and axles are still in the Pick-A-Brick catalog, even in the new site. So are the magnetic couplers. With that, TLG might actually be going back to the metal version. Time will tell.

3 hours ago, Feuer Zug said:

The funny thing is, the old metal axle bogies, wheels, and axles are still in the Pick-A-Brick catalog, even in the new site. So are the magnetic couplers. With that, TLG might actually be going back to the metal version. Time will tell.

I don't think so. They are probably selling off old stock they have.

I like the train engine, it's different and modern.

9 hours ago, Toastie said:

Not for me, no chance to get $180 approved for another train set here :pir-huzzah2: Family seems to adjust to BB pricing (12 straight tracks, DBG: €9,99 - other than missing LEGO bit - no difference).

Best
Thorsten 

Same thought here, I like to build MOC and add some BB rolling stock from time to time much more realistic and much cheaper ... no offense to anyone :wink:

I quite like it! Will be interested to see the other two wagons in clearer photos, but the style of the loco looks good in my opinion, with what potentially looks simple to change the colour scheme on. Decent amount of straight track too! Excited for the Passenger Train and Station too!

I thought connecting a point like that was illegal but definitely quite some tracks, especially great for beginners! Looks like a modern locomotive (Taurus / Vectron).

31 minutes ago, M_slug357 said:

Rumors can be wrong...

I wish the leaked image was wrong lol but hey

So probably the passender train isn't green neither.

Same for me, a red-only color scheme would have been nicer. I wonder if kids really like the colorful City sets. I didn't when I was a kid. Btw, the image has not been leaked, it's from the instruction page of lego.com, therefore 100% correct.

My interest is in 7-8 wide trains now, so I don't really care if the City trains look good or not. 

The train looks good to me, the container stacker looks great and very realistic for a city set, the amount of track is nice and if the rumoured price, which is a decrease, is correct, this looks like a very appealing set.

At first sight it looks like Friends set. I am a simple man, I prefer simple colors (red, blue, yellow, green). This is definitely something not my taste...

On the other hand, saying it is wrong set having just a single, blurry photo is a silly move.   The real star of the show is that red stacker:pir-love:

12 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

Rumors can be wrong...

I wish the leaked image was wrong lol but hey

It is not leaked, it is on the LEGO website...

I just wish lego had more vested interest to have a unique locomotive, sell separate rolling stock, etc. I mean I can still build my own of both sure, but it just doesn't feel like its own thing in the lego lineup.