At those prices, I’m betting on a double ender passenger train, with two cars in between,  Perhaps sacking off the little mini platform we’ve had before. I hope the ends are more brick built, rather than the large one piece we’ve had these last few iterations, but i think that’s too much to ask.

I think the freight train will be a mixed bag of the current version, and maybe heavy haul train.  I don’t expect anything too exciting there, since the cost is roughly what’s being charged for the current version.  It may even remain unchanged, much the way the fire station is a bit of a re-release.

The station at this price is going to be either,

A: - really good, with a fistful of figures, and a decent platform and building, probably on one the new road plates,

or

B: - A quick building, full of 6x1x5 windows and wall plates, a few figures and a pointless vehicle, such as a taxi, or little bus.

I’m hoping for the first one, and if its good, it might make my growing town.  If not, I might sack off my train line in my town.  Space is too limiting.

I hope the new station comes with some extra straight tracks though...

It'll be interesting to see if TLG makes an "official connection" between the existing train tracks and the new road system, considering that the rail height is 3 plates' tall but the newer roads are 2 plates' tall. I'd say the easy way out would be to use 2x2 curved slopes to bridge the gap?

1 hour ago, Tube Map Central said:

Does anyone disagree that 4554 was the best ever TLG station? It was playable and stylish, is it too much to hope for something just as good?

Hands down the best one ever made. FOUR large „station baseplates“?! Unheard of. 

1 hour ago, Tube Map Central said:

Does anyone disagree that 4554 was the best ever TLG station? It was playable and stylish, is it too much to hope for something just as good?

I like the Disney station.  :pir_tong2:
I like the red version of the station better. If the yellow one had black windows it would be better than the red.
7937 is fine as a crossover and sucks as a station. 60050 is the worst station, heck maybe the worst building ever made in LEGO.

These will also be the first new Train sets since Hidden Side train introduced that new floor to track connection piece.

Edited by Maple

9 hours ago, Ondra said:

What currency, this is really a lot even for US dollar ...

I guess from the video USD indeed.

What are the odds that the new trains are licensed? That seems like something the city line has done more recently with Ocean and Space sets.

10 hours ago, Maple said:

I like the Disney station.  :pir_tong2:
I like the red version of the station better. If the yellow one had black windows it would be better than the red.
7937 is fine as a crossover and sucks as a station. 60050 is the worst station, heck maybe the worst building ever made in LEGO.

These will also be the first new Train sets since Hidden Side train introduced that new floor to track connection piece.

Disney Station is really really nice, love the detail inside, but to me, despite its size it looks like a big country station. 4554 looks like a real city station. It would be fun to mod two Disney stations together to get something more like a grand terminus.

The platform from the Harry Potter train is a great representation of a historic structure. There is a plentiful supply of them on eBay at reasonable prices and they combine well.

The winter village station looks half-finished to me, doesn't appeal, but even the Hidden Side train gets a better station than the current city train.

From the dedicated stations, 7997 is a nice interesting structure but you look at it and think "where is the main station building". 4513 "grand central station" is anything but, all panels and no building, and I agree 60050 is uninspiring, it just looks unfinished, like the builders gave up and went home early. 7937 is a bus shelter, 4556 and 7824 look a bit random, 7822 is grim: imagine it covered in graffiti being stuck there at night in the winter. 148 has old-lego-style charm but the faceless minifigures are terrifying.

Over on Ideas, Studgate doesn't look like a real station to me, a dome on a roof is just silly, imagine passing steam trains filling it up with smoke, so I will be giving it a miss (Eastgate from the same designer is much better) and it's this one that should have got into the BDP https://ideas.lego.com/projects/879f2041-22ea-4b06-9e34-ed074c4ce83a 

For the price, we might be getting a more interesting station in 2022 than we have seen for years but it will have stiff completion, this one under review in Ideas is fantastic and so it will have no chance! https://ideas.lego.com/projects/d877ae63-11e8-4e20-ac19-97c72ebe25c6

Edited by Tube Map Central

19 minutes ago, Tube Map Central said:

Over on Ideas, Studgate doesn't look like a real station to me, a dome on a roof is just silly, imagine passing steam trains filling it up with smoke, so I will be giving it a miss

…this is exactly how it used to be though. The London Underground even used steam engines for a while. And yes, it was as bad as you probably think. But it’s not unrealistic nor is it silly to have a dome roof over a train station in the steam era. Most European main train stations in big cities have domes like that from way back in the day. Cologne, Frankfurt, most London main train stations…

personally, I would love a modular train station of any type, but that’s just wishful thinking. Realistically we’re getting another half-assed 60050 and that’s gonna be that.

Yes, but the Underground had lots of steam exits. Any station roof would have needed to be vented in steam days.

My problem with Studgate is not a dome, it's a glass dome on top of a glass train shed roof.

Find me dome-on-a-roof at St Pancras

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/St_Pancras_railway_station#/media/File%3AStPancrasInternational-PS02.JPG

Or at York

https://beyondthewindowbox.wordpress.com/2017/12/15/iron-and-glass/

Architecturally, glass-dome-on-top-of-glass-trainshed-roof is nuts. It's hard enough as it is to keep a glass roof standing up without adding on weird stuff

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Charing_Cross_roof_collapse

Edited by Tube Map Central
Charing Cross Roof Collapse

4 hours ago, Tube Map Central said:

imagine passing steam trains filling it up with smoke, so I will be giving it a miss (Eastgate from the same designer is much better) and it's this one that should have got into the BDP https://ideas.lego.com/projects/879f2041-22ea-4b06-9e34-ed074c4ce83a 

I live in the USA and we don't really have stations unless you are in a state capital. They redid my local station, it's pretty much all offices, a complete joke. Hartford CT has the worst station Ive seen, but that's because no one used it for decades until about 5 years ago and it still needs to be redone. 7997 is really nice to me and looks like a lot of the 'stations' we have around me. 

I took a train to New York City. Right outside the city the train had a 20 minute layover as it had to switch from oil/gas to electrical. You be surprised at how bad the trains are in third world nations like the USA.

1 hour ago, Maple said:

I live in the USA and we don't really have stations unless you are in a state capital.

That’s probably where LEGO‘s been getting their inspiration for train stations over the past few years :roflmao:

I have made a post about these leaks on r/legotrains, and somebody replied that he has seen the sets. He also proceeded to give details on them. So here they are. Take this with a grain of salt!

"the passenger train is green, has a long front end. The freight train is similar to the ones from previous years, and the station (new set) is possibly like the 2010 one, with a bus and a piece of road."

55 minutes ago, Emersonac said:

and a piece of road.

If this pans out, I nailed it. Everything City related seems to be throwing in road pieces, even if they are unnecessary. Even the new beach set 60328 has road plates.

3 hours ago, McWaffel said:

That’s probably where LEGO‘s been getting their inspiration for train stations over the past few years :roflmao:

Yes! :pir_laugh2:

I picture most US stations as 60050, but without the food. 

And anyone can guess that the Train Station will include road and a vehicle. I also think it will include a platform area, that will most likely be grey or dark grey! :pir-huzzah1:

Edited by Maple

5 hours ago, Maple said:

I live in the USA and we don't really have stations unless you are in a state capital.

I realize different parts of the country have different rail-related infrastructure but this is not true. Plenty of small to medium towns and cities have stations. Some are modern, some are historic, and styles vary widely. But to say only state capitals have stations is incredibly inaccurate.

5 minutes ago, CDM said:

I realize different parts of the country have different rail-related infrastructure but this is not true. Plenty of small to medium towns and cities have stations. Some are modern, some are historic, and styles vary widely. But to say only state capitals have stations is incredibly inaccurate.

I'm in the Northeast. My city spent $120 million on their 'transportation center' that doesn't allow bikes in the building. It's station is 4 stories high and 3 of the stories are offices. 

I think you are confusing stations with platforms. Many cities have platforms, not that many have stations.

21 minutes ago, Maple said:

I'm in the Northeast. My city spent $120 million on their 'transportation center' that doesn't allow bikes in the building. It's station is 4 stories high and 3 of the stories are offices. 

I think you are confusing stations with platforms. Many cities have platforms, not that many have stations.

I'm well aware of the platform. You seem to be limiting your definition of "station" to vast transportation complexes in which trains pass under or through. That is only one type.

34 minutes ago, CDM said:

I'm well aware of the platform. You seem to be limiting your definition of "station" to vast transportation complexes in which trains pass under or through. That is only one type.

Platform is a platform.
A station is a building that has an indoor waiting room. That's it. 

Massachusetts has 3-4 stations maybe. (In Boston they are subways.) But at least 10 platforms.
CT has a few, New Haven has one, Hartfords is a mess.
New York has amazing stations. The Utica one is beautiful.

Again the USA has stations, but for the size of the country there are VERY few, more so the further west you go.

Considering Lego trains, do people want more platforms or more stations?
It does make some (american?) sense to have more platforms with a hint of pedestrian sheltering as opposed to a costly full-blown station

8 minutes ago, Maple said:

but for the size of the country there are VERY few

Correct me if I am wrong, but this is a direct consequence of preferring individual transportation (1 max. 2 persons per vehicle) "in the US" (what do I know, I lived 4 years in SoCal/Beach Cities with frequent travel from Irvine to the greater LA area - on the 6 lanes in each direction of I5/I405 that was the situation - my wife and I always used the carpool lane, as 2 persons/vehicle qualified to as carpool) rather than public transportation, isn't it?

Spoiler

I once deliberately travelled from LAX to Irvine using public transportation only, more of an experiment. It was a very nice trip, but took me 7 hours for about 65 miles by car. First you take the green line to Harbor Freeway, change over to the Silver Line to Union Station (which is nice, but for the size of a 15 Mio metropolitan area rather tiny, and is located far north from LAX, whereas Irvin is south), then took the Orange Line (Metrolink) to Ocean Side, with exit at the "far east side" of Irvine. The bus from that station connecting that (deserted station-less) platform and UC Irvine campus runs every 2 hours (on Sundays) - and I was the only passenger. UCI campus bus stop to my house was 30 min walking, so that does not count.    

And without broad acceptance of public/train transportation, it does not make sense to have big and shiny stations, does it?

Best
Thorsten 

In summary then:

#60335 Train Station $99.99  
#60336 Freight Train $189.99
#60337 High Speed Passenger Train $179.99

This still leaves the possibility of #60334 being a level crossing or other accessory...

Edited by Matt Dawson

15 minutes ago, M_slug357 said:

platforms with a hint of pedestrian sheltering

Poor minifigs ... well, this is fun!

Back in the days, on some platform-type stops (as the one I frequently use for travel by train, I live in a 9000 people (max) town), they always had to announce that "a" train was approaching, and that you should stand back from the edge of the platform or whatever that is called. With all that early automation stuff - man that was fun!!! - an electronic voice did the announcements. I remember quite vividly, when one of the 1st generation ICE high speed trains thundered "through" the platform - southbound to Cologne/Munich. Suddenly, all hell broke loose - accompanied by tornado like wind gusts - it came from behind me - then it was over. And then this tiny voice announced this very train, I laughed my butt off ... later they simply gave up, as on this main south/north line such a train blasts every 10 to 20 min "through" the platform. They painted white stripes on the platform floor - and until then it was simply your fault ... :pir_laugh2:. Yes, platforms with minimal sheltering are fun. Maybe also with minimal width between two tracks :pir-huzzah2:.

Best,
Thorsten       

1 hour ago, Toastie said:

Correct me if I am wrong, but this is a direct consequence of preferring individual transportation (1 max. 2 persons per vehicle) "in the US" (what do I know, I lived 4 years in SoCal/Beach Cities with frequent travel from Irvine to the greater LA area - on the 6 lanes in each direction of I5/I405 that was the situation - my wife and I always used the carpool lane, as 2 persons/vehicle qualified to as carpool) rather than public transportation, isn't it?

Yes, that is one contributing factor. The vast majority of the rail lines in the US are owned privately by freight operators and as such, there is little investment into passenger service. Until Congress invests major money into high-speed infrastructure nothing will change. No one will ever do it privately because it will be too expensive and acquiring the land would be a nightmare, if not altogether impossible. As a country, we don't want to pay for anything that isn't a fancy f-off boondoggle of a military aircraft.

6 hours ago, Emersonac said:

I have made a post about these leaks on r/legotrains, and somebody replied that he has seen the sets. He also proceeded to give details on them. So here they are. Take this with a grain of salt!

"the passenger train is green, has a long front end. The freight train is similar to the ones from previous years, and the station (new set) is possibly like the 2010 one, with a bus and a piece of road."

Long front end green high speed train reminds me japanese shinkansen. Not my cup of tea sadly.

Freight trains, well Im interested at last.