15 hours ago, Izzynufc-2 said:

I recon Lego City trains will be done in 2022

Trains won't die. It'll continue to linger like a terminal patient on life support for years. We, the fervent train fanatics, will continue to hope against all odds for a real commitment from LEGO like the 80's, but will suffer bitter disappointment that we voice here. Still, they throw us a nice bone now and then (Emerald Night, Crocodile) that keeps us salivating on the latest rumors.

The thing I'm most interested in will be if metal axles will be discontinued completely this year. If so, it will be time to start making a run on Bricklink for the axle holders etc. Can't stand the plastic on plastic newer style ones. 

11 hours ago, Toxic43 said:

The thing I'm most interested in will be if metal axles will be discontinued completely this year. If so, it will be time to start making a run on Bricklink for the axle holders etc. Can't stand the plastic on plastic newer style ones. 

Are the "old" metal wheels still shipping in the 2018 trains (city and Hogwarts express)

3 hours ago, samsz_3 said:

Are the "old" metal wheels still shipping in the 2018 trains (city and Hogwarts express)

They are in 60197 passenger train, 60198 cargo train and the Hogwarts express. I believe all were launched in or around 2018, so about 4 years ago. The Hogwarts may be the last source of these wheel sets. The Disney train and the hidden side train both came with the plastic wheels. Both those sets are now retired though, so it remains to be seen if the new city trains will have the full plastic wheelsets also. 

17 minutes ago, Toxic43 said:

They are in 60197 passenger train, 60198 cargo train and the Hogwarts express. I believe all were launched in or around 2018, so about 4 years ago. The Hogwarts may be the last source of these wheel sets. The Disney train and the hidden side train both came with the plastic wheels. Both those sets are now retired though, so it remains to be seen if the new city trains will have the full plastic wheelsets also. 

I think LEGO stated that all future sets will have the plastic wheels - this means that can eliminate the metal axle (which was brought in) so they can make the entire wheelset in-house, and also allays some toy safety measures as there's no longer any metal axles to get attacked by/eaten.

I admit the options one gets with roller bearings and Brick Tracks wheels and axles is far superior to stock. I'm not going to completely miss the old LEGO axles and holders, but the work around to the new plastic variant is good.

I’ve got some ideas for future Lego city train sets: 

Diesel Shunter 

Train Transporter 

Train Station 

Train Workshop

Engine Shed

Passenger Train 

VIP Train 

Freight Train 

Charter Train 

Level Crossing 

D2C Major Railway Station

Steam Trains

14 hours ago, Izzynufc-2 said:

Diesel Shunter 

Train Transporter 

Train Station 

Train Workshop

Engine Shed

Passenger Train 

VIP Train 

Freight Train 

Charter Train 

Level Crossing 

D2C Major Railway Station

Steam Trains

I'm just going to break this down and give my opinion on each one.

Diesel Shunter:  I'd like a diesel shunter, and of these is probably one of the most likely - a cargo train that rather than a big locomotive as a much smaller one, and the kit has more than 2 switches maybe?

Train Transporter:  Interesting idea.  Do you mean a train that can transport a train, or a lorry that can?  I just see two things that LEGO might not like - the transporter would have to be eight wide which they don't like, and a train would contain two locomotives.  It would also need a very strong crane to be able to move it.

Train Station:  We didn't get one in 2018, but hopefully we'll get one this year, having got many in previous years, dating back to c.1970.

Train Workshop, Engine Shed:  I'm gonna combine these two, as LEGO probably would.  We've only ever got one of them, the World City one in 2003, but I think many would be in favour.

Passenger Train:  I can basically guarantee we'll get one this year.

VIP Train:  Do you mean one for the VIP program, or one to carry a VIP?  VIP program:  honestly not much they could do and probably wouldn't be brilliant.  To carry a VIP:  Love the idea.  I've seen the Royal Trains at NRM York, and there are some absolute beauties there.  I'd love one like Queen Victoria's coach.  It would most likely only be an additional coach though, hooked on the end - I think many VIP trains are like this these days.

Freight Train:  Same as Passenger Train.

Charter Train:  Honestly idk what you mean by this - could somebody explain for me?

Level Crossing:  YES.  We've only had rubbish mini ones since 2010.  Unfortunately I think one is relatively unlikely...

D2C Major Railway Station:  I'd love one of these, as I'm sure most here would.  However, the one in the brickLink Designer Program makes it unlikely in the near future at least.  There's a nice one on IDEAS though.

Steam Trains:  Yes.  Anything steam is always a bonus, since they are so rare - hopefully LEGO will finally give us another one soon.  An EN type without any issues would be nice.

I love all of your ideas, and I promise you I'm not trying to be rude at all.  I'm just trying to think of what LEGO's thought process would be.

On a different note, as I see you have only 19 posts at the time of writing this, a warm welcome to Eurobricks!

9 minutes ago, Vilhelm22 said:

I'm just going to break this down and give my opinion on each one.

Diesel Shunter:  I'd like a diesel shunter, and of these is probably one of the most likely - a cargo train that rather than a big locomotive as a much smaller one, and the kit has more than 2 switches maybe?

Train Transporter:  Interesting idea.  Do you mean a train that can transport a train, or a lorry that can?  I just see two things that LEGO might not like - the transporter would have to be eight wide which they don't like, and a train would contain two locomotives.  It would also need a very strong crane to be able to move it.

Train Station:  We didn't get one in 2018, but hopefully we'll get one this year, having got many in previous years, dating back to c.1970.

Train Workshop, Engine Shed:  I'm gonna combine these two, as LEGO probably would.  We've only ever got one of them, the World City one in 2003, but I think many would be in favour.

Passenger Train:  I can basically guarantee we'll get one this year.

VIP Train:  Do you mean one for the VIP program, or one to carry a VIP?  VIP program:  honestly not much they could do and probably wouldn't be brilliant.  To carry a VIP:  Love the idea.  I've seen the Royal Trains at NRM York, and there are some absolute beauties there.  I'd love one like Queen Victoria's coach.  It would most likely only be an additional coach though, hooked on the end - I think many VIP trains are like this these days.

Freight Train:  Same as Passenger Train.

Charter Train:  Honestly idk what you mean by this - could somebody explain for me?

Level Crossing:  YES.  We've only had rubbish mini ones since 2010.  Unfortunately I think one is relatively unlikely...

D2C Major Railway Station:  I'd love one of these, as I'm sure most here would.  However, the one in the brickLink Designer Program makes it unlikely in the near future at least.  There's a nice one on IDEAS though.

Steam Trains:  Yes.  Anything steam is always a bonus, since they are so rare - hopefully LEGO will finally give us another one soon.  An EN type without any issues would be nice.

I love all of your ideas, and I promise you I'm not trying to be rude at all.  I'm just trying to think of what LEGO's thought process would be.

On a different note, as I see you have only 19 posts at the time of writing this, a warm welcome to Eurobricks!

A charter train is a rail tour 

A VIP train could carry either the mayor or an important person 

A Level Crossing with the new road plate system would be interesting

A train transporter that is a lorry that is transporting a train on the back 

A diesel shunter on its own, 

I hope Lego sees these and get more ideas for their train collection 

7 hours ago, Izzynufc-2 said:

A charter train is a rail tour 

A VIP train could carry either the mayor or an important person 

A Level Crossing with the new road plate system would be interesting

A train transporter that is a lorry that is transporting a train on the back 

A diesel shunter on its own, 

Ah that makes more sense.  

VIP trains, when good, can be amazing - possibly the most impressive coach I've ever seen is Queen Victoria's official royal coach.  However, I realise that there have been a lot of real-life VIP coaches - any would do.  I like your idea for the train transporter - I actually once made one myself, using the 'Heavy Loader' set 7900.  Just replace the four 8x16 panels for straight tracks.  I've quite frequently heard of them being used to transport static steam locomotives.  I also like the idea for a charter train, now knowing what it is - how about something like the American Freedom Train for the Bicentennial celebrations in 1976?  Southern Pacific GS-4 4449 was painted specially for it in red, white, and blue - I could imagine something like that.

All good ideas and I can imagine them making a level crossing as they'll want to make the most of those new road plates.

Whilst conjecture, I would say if the normal pattern works we'll see the following:
> A high-speed passenger train (with a single piece nose and no doors)
> a mixed freight train
> Either a passenger station or level crossing - or possibly both?
> Track pack re-release

IIRC the track pack didn't include set references, only the sets themselves did, so the track pack may remain unchanged.

36 minutes ago, M_slug357 said:

@Matt Dawson I wonder if lego will finally just bundle all the track elements together for say, $30 usd? A switch, a few curves, straights, and a couple of flexies

Looks like the current track packs have had their price ‘corrected’ upwards in the UK to £17.99 each (from £15.99).

11 hours ago, PeteM said:

Looks like the current track packs have had their price ‘corrected’ upwards in the UK to £17.99 each (from £15.99).

Hadn't noticed that - :damn:

13 hours ago, Matt Dawson said:

Whilst conjecture, I would say if the normal pattern works we'll see the following:
> A high-speed passenger train (with a single piece nose and no doors)
> a mixed freight train
> Either a passenger station or level crossing - or possibly both?
> Track pack re-release

IIRC the track pack didn't include set references, only the sets themselves did, so the track pack may remain unchanged.

Yes, I think that's definitely what we can expect.  Two questions though: Is the high-speed train going to be a 60197 or 60051 type - one or two engines?  And - what trackside feature and vehicle will we get with the cargo train?  2018 was a control tower and bank truck, 2015 a tower crane with a grab and backhoe which could be transported, 2014 a small truck and a larger overhead crane, 2011 a coal tipper and a road/rail vehicle (also transportable), and 2010 a more simple overhead crane and a container truck.  I'd be interested to see what they come up with this time - every CITY freight train ever has had some form of crane, excluding 2011 unless you count that very basic thing at the back.

I have not read the 8 pages so sorry if this is old news :blush:

Apparently the trains retire next year:

July 31, 2022
60197 Passenger Train
60198 Cargo Train

So I assume they are replaced with new ones if not they would probably retire in the end of the year with the other City sets :shrug_oh_well:

4 hours ago, Roebuck said:

I have not read the 8 pages so sorry if this is old news :blush:

Apparently the trains retire next year:

July 31, 2022
60197 Passenger Train
60198 Cargo Train

So I assume they are replaced with new ones if not they would probably retire in the end of the year with the other City sets :shrug_oh_well:

We knew they'd retire following the pattern started in 2006, but possibly unlike some here I wasn't aware of quite when - so good to know the date.

Also, for those interested, at least in the UK Main Square is on 30% off at Shop@Home, from £170 down to £119.  If you want the tram and don't have it now may be the time - at retail it's heavily overpriced and isn't a particularly good set, so the tram is the only really desirable part.

Edited by Vilhelm22

I kinda hope TLG recolors that 60197 nose piece at least one more time in a darker color-- maybe a dark red or dark green...?

46 minutes ago, M_slug357 said:

I kinda hope TLG recolors that 60197 nose piece at least one more time in a darker color-- maybe a dark red or dark green...?

I agree. Very weird they did two shades of yellow. LEGO will probably recolor it again in neon vomit yellow.

It’ll be interesting what Lego City does with its train stuff this year, considering the new road plate system. 

2 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

I'd love to see some shade of blue myself, although the 60197 color scheme already included Earth Blue so that might feel a little repetitive from a set standpoint, even if it'd be a fresh new color for the individual part. Overall, that nose piece really IS the sort of part I love to see — not only does it match neatly with existing slopes and curves and allow for LED lighting, but unlike the nose piece in #60051, it doesn't even require a bespoke windscreen component! I hope that any future passenger train nose pieces will be just as cleverly engineered.

On a related note, I hope whatever new trains come out this year are fully compatible with the Powered Up LED lights. So far, most Power Functions and Powered Up trains have omitted LED headlights for cost reasons, which I can understand — a working train set is a working train set, with or without lights, and I'm sure that selling the light kits separately instead of adding even more electronic components to each train makes the cost a little easier for many buyers to swallow. But a number of City cargo trains WITHOUT preformed nose pieces (like 60198, 60052, and 3677) haven't even included a cavity behind the decorative headlights for LEDs to fit behind. And I feel like it really stifles the appeal of those light kits to have so few sets on shelves that are actually designed to work with them.

I'm still hoping for a more brick-built train canopy, or at least more then 1 big piece.

I'd love to see a window like this but then as a standalone window : 

4497756.jpg

So basicly a 6 wide version of:

4525032.jpg

Edited by TeriXeri

I have never purchased a modern LEGO passenger train, solely because of the giant front pieces. I’ll never get one unless they’re going back to brick built noses