Well, if you really watch the videos chronologically, you will realize that he basically likes that BB release train stuff but that he more and more often asks why they nearly always go for the cheapest solution. Many of their designs do fall apart if you use them for more than display. And there are stupid decisions like putting a seat and wheel in locomotives no matter what or ignoring basic stability issues that even small children would recognize. And this also goes for the buildings which are often hollow shells which sometimes even lack floors.

25 minutes ago, AndreMW said:

Well, if you really watch the videos chronologically, you will realize that he basically likes that BB release train stuff but that he more and more often asks why they nearly always go for the cheapest solution. Many of their designs do fall apart if you use them for more than display. And there are stupid decisions like putting a seat and wheel in locomotives no matter what or ignoring basic stability issues that even small children would recognize. And this also goes for the buildings which are often hollow shells which sometimes even lack floors.

Well, most highly detailed train mocs have greeble falling off, stability / weight issues and very often hollow insides - it kind of follows hand in hand with the sophistication and not being toys for children anymore.

Heck, even Emerald Night has some serious driving issues and needs modifications to run satisfactory and it's still one of the most beloved LEGO trains of all time.

BB sets are not perfect by far but what does one expect at that price point, genuine LEGO?

And BB actually release numerous trains sets constantly opposed to the one train set TLG give us once a year or every second year. Eventually some nice stuff are to be found amongst all the mediocrity :grin:

6 minutes ago, dtomsen said:

BB sets are not perfect by far but what does one expect at that price point, genuine LEGO?

You get what you pay for.

I wish I could pay more in return for a better quality. Bluebrixx needs to learn that quality is as important as pricing. They need to find a balance, e.g. order their bricks from GoBricks, even if it makes the sets more expensive. And improve the instructions and print them.

Edited by legotownlinz

4 minutes ago, legotownlinz said:

You get what you pay for.

I wish I could pay more in return for a better quality. Bluebrixx needs to learn that quality is as important as pricing. They need to find a balance, e.g. order their bricks from GoBricks, even if it makes the sets more expensive. And improve the instructions and print them.

I totally agree and would prefer more quality for a higher price. But I am not sure, if this would be beneficial to BB: Their brand is nothing like the LEGO brand and so they cannot demand the same. Their sets have a much, much lower volume while at the same time, they need to pay a third party for their bricks. I'd guess that BB currently is probing the market with higher quality bricks in their 8w locomotives, to see if your claim is right. The HdS also claimed in one video, that the BB "Pro" sets would have higher quality bricks; maybe they can actually demand better bricks from their supplier for a higher price or maybe they just now -- that they are big enough -- can.

14 minutes ago, Black Knight said:

I'd guess that BB currently is probing the market with higher quality bricks in their 8w locomotives, to see if your claim is right. The HdS also claimed in one video, that the BB "Pro" sets would have higher quality bricks; maybe they can actually demand better bricks from their supplier for a higher price or maybe they just now -- that they are big enough -- can.

The 8-wide trains have the same bricks as all other Bluebrixx Specials.

The Bluebrixx Pro sets are made for Bluebrixx by other companies, e.g. Xingbao. So their quality depends who made the set.

8 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I totally agree and would prefer more quality for a higher price. But I am not sure, if this would be beneficial to BB

This.

I am a bit more convinced (as you :pir-laugh: maybe) that you got it right. We tend to gauge things from our very own perspective. Which may be trained 30+ years following and getting used to what TLG does. However: TLG came to a grinding halt on making any decent trains - as judged from the perspective of an average train fan. Sure, the Crocodile popped up - popping up now and then is not relevant to this discussion.

I am following this path: I am no good builder. I really like many of the BB designs. They charge you next to nothing - as compared to a) TLGs current price politics, and b) as compared to zero current sets from TLG. Oh sure, we can go to BL, or the like, and pay higher prices for the very, very few originals. Nope. So what I will do, said it before: Out with the apparently non-functional BB parts, replace them by or even mod around with the SuperParts.

I sure hope that the SuperParts are not becoming the single advantage of the SuperCompany. That >never ever< worked in history (as in > 1 - 100 years). As SuperParts can be made better upon natural evolution - and will "do" so. Designs though are evolving on a different temporal scale, these are decoupled from the usually "slow" stuff evolution processes (including phalanxes of legal folks). They are made by inspiration. Homo sapiens is pretty good at thinking about what could work. The internet is promoting this endlessly - but not the legal crap.

So: I will check it out, simple as that.

Best wishes,
Thorsten

Edited by Toastie

Just saw that the Creator Beijng Postcard suggests both the tuk tuk and new train so certainly part of some "tourism" series of sets. (the NY set suggests the taxi)

40520_alt2.jpg

I don't think this will affect a Creator expert train much if at all.

Edited by TeriXeri

Review under Special LEGO Themes, really says it all :wink:

Edited by dtomsen

On 12/8/2021 at 9:34 PM, dr_spock said:

How's this for farbseuche? :pir_laugh2: 

@dr_spock - wow - the new Hairy Potta set actually is on par with your creation:

Best and have fun with all the shades of gray :pir-huzzah2:

Thorsten

It has just occurred to me that we could possibly see leaked shots of the new City trains in January. The London toy fair is being held on Tuesday the 25th January. Looking back to 2018 when the cargo train was teased, I seem to remember leaked shots of a prototype from a toy show doing the rounds. We all know how that turned out, and that the model we saw bore little resemblance to the actual set when it launched. It will be interesting to see if something similar occurs here, or if they will have a more production ready model around this time.

If, and it's a big if, they have a creator expert locomotive ready to go for a launch in March-June, we may even get to see that.

The anticipation is palpable.

which category would you expect?

the "City" sets are all kown already, no train at all....

56 minutes ago, Lok24 said:

which category would you expect?

the "City" sets are all kown already, no train at all....

City trains do release in summer months, 2018, 2015, 2014, 2011, 2010, 2006 all were June-August releases.

Edited by TeriXeri

2 minutes ago, TeriXeri said:

City trains do release in summer months though.

Ah, good hint! So there is hope.

But I don't expect something really new.

Back in January 2018 on the 2018 Lego Trains thread (Which I might add got to a whopping 59 pages!), by page 9 we had already seen leaked images. This was around the 2nd to the 4th January 2018. The toy fair had already been by that point, but the pandemic has changed plans somewhat this time around. Train sets that will launch in summer will be shown in the first half of the year for prospective buyers to stock in their stores. They'll be purchasing these sets in bulk for sale when the sets launch in the 2nd half of the year. I don't think we have too much longer to wait until we see something,

17 hours ago, Lok24 said:

Ah, good hint! So there is hope.

But I don't expect something really new.

Maybe they will just change numbers :-)

8 hours ago, TuffTuffTuff said:

Maybe they will just change numbers :-)

Tut tut, change numbers and increase the price by 10%

Well, there was a post earlier this month in the City topic mentioning the prices for the the not-yet-revealed sets 60335 and 60336, and pointing out that they could potentially be train sets based on those prices.

There HAVE been other City sets besides motorized trains at prices as high a $179.99, but they are few and far between. And given that 2022 is anticipated to be a "train year" according to the 4-year pattern we've typically seen in the past, I don't think expecting 60336 to be a new City train is at all unreasonable.

I'm not quite as confident about the prediction that 60335 would be a new train station, since dedicated train station sets aren't as much of a "given" even in years that new City trains are released. But considering this year's heavy emphasis on actual City buildings that can be linked together with via the current road system, it'd certainly make a lot of sense for LEGO to release a new train station as part of their next batch of City train sets.

I would think $179.99 would be the freight set rather than the passenger train...

Edit: I'm thinking of UK price, not US price 

Edited by Matt Dawson

A train is still pretty much 99% expected , but it doesn't need to be those set numbers. (last 2 trains were $160 and $230) , main square was $200.

But there are other things that could make expensive sets, like ship hulls(last big ship was $150), a return of harbor with road plates/large crane parts, or even magnet (the 2020 police helicopter with the magnet isn't retiring yet and there's a Sardine Factory + Container with new double doors in a 2022 Fire set)

2014 and 2010 had overhead train cranes so maybe an overhead crane is likely for a 2022 train , considering there will also be a fairly large wheeled crane in City, but could be interesting to see if they do more 6 wide containers.

Edited by TeriXeri

11 hours ago, Matt Dawson said:

I would think $179.99 would be the freight set rather than the passenger train...

Remember the days when passenger trains were the main set instead of freight trains... ?

The 7740 in the 80s and the metroliner during the early 90s were amazing sets. Small freight trains with a shunter loco (3 or 2 axle) would be a nice change and cost effective compared to the large freight trains they have now.

2 hours ago, *thomas* said:

Remember the days when passenger trains were the main set instead of freight trains... ?

My first train, 4565, was definitely the main set in comparison to 4559 (being a passenger train even though weirdly labeled as cargo train) and much more fun to play with... Still one of my favorites to be honest, at least the locomotive! 

On 12/24/2021 at 1:04 PM, Sunil766 said:

My first train, 4565, was definitely the main set in comparison to 4559 (being a passenger train even though weirdly labeled as cargo train) and much more fun to play with... Still one of my favorites to be honest, at least the locomotive! 

That's when it all changed ;) . In the 80s you had 7740 and 7745 as 'main sets', same with the metroliner at the beginning of the 9V era.