Ok, I saw the front of box pic. Looks 6 wide to me. Looks like a train door as the actual front window too. The roof piece there is a 6 wide piece. Those wheels look like the smaller ones with a pin connection so no hope of motorising this one.

On 11/22/2021 at 11:42 AM, McWaffel said:

I‘ll be old and grey before a train will ever make it to the market through LEGO ideas.

The sun will expand and destroy the planet in about 5 billion years.

That will still happen before anything train theme makes it through Lego Ideas.

27 minutes ago, Toxic43 said:

Ok, I saw the front of box pic. Looks 6 wide to me. Looks like a train door as the actual front window too. The roof piece there is a 6 wide piece. Those wheels look like the smaller ones with a pin connection so no hope of motorising this one.

The roof piece also comes in a four wide version. The front window is two studs wide, not a train door.

3 hours ago, Aanchir said:

I don't know if it'd be realistic to expect "luxury" features like sleeper cars or dome cars on a modern passenger train set, since it's pretty rare to find those on real-life passenger trains these days, but in the very least it'd be awesome to see a passenger car with a toilet aboard!

I loved the sleeper car in 4559: Cargo Railway but that set was nowhere near realistic, just a very weird playset hybrid mix of a passenger/cargo train.

It's still my only train set however so it has a special place, and the alternate build suggestions on the box/catalog were superb, which still makes me think the concept of a 3-in-1 train could work in theory however I think most LEGO train fans outside of the target age of City would probably rather see a more detailed model.

Edited by TeriXeri

Maybe it should be called "High Speed Push Train". It'll go as fast as your hands.  Good train for a kid with a small bedroom or person with small apartment.  :pir-classic:

23 hours ago, Toxic43 said:

Guys...

It's happening!

"LEGO® Bullet Train 40518 (2022) | LEGO® price comparison brickmerge.de"

https://www.brickmerge.de/40518-1_lego-new-hochgeschwindigkeitszug

I don't know if anyone's noticed, but the link above now has a high-res image on it...

Yeh it's not that great for us train-heads, is it? Fairly simple, the three-part pantograph and the ingots for the doors aren't bad, but the sides and the slopes along the sides of the roof are kind of boxy and plain. Also it doesn't look like the wheels are even on bogies, so corners will be fun!

The box art in @zephyr1934's link reminds me heavily of BRIO or wooden-railway trains; maybe that's the market they're aiming this set at?

What a wasted opportunity. They could easily have made it 6-wide instead and propably sold 10 times more sets.

Honestly. Why would lego do this. What a disappointment 

Is there still a chance this goes through as a GWP for a serious train set?

I just hang on to them putting effort into designing new wheelsets (whether they're better than previous ones is a different topic) which must be good for something... 

I saw this over on Brickset for 2022. The stickers on the side read LCC - HLC. LEGO City Central to Heart Lake CIty? Fairly simple design. Maybe $10-$15.

Well the hig speed train is live on the lego shop, i cannot understand how this feels like a better idea to them than releasing simple 6wide push trains in the creator series, or even some carriages. Maybe this comes instead of the new city trains, so they can make space for more vidiyo sets :pir-tongue:

Not directly relevant, but the new city fire brigade set has a shipping container piece with a new double door piece which looks much nicer and more realistic than the open-sided ones in the 2018 cargo train. Could be a good sign for the next cargo train set.

There's even a lifestyle photo for this set. Do they really think any AFOL will put such garbage on the table?

LEGO_40518_alt3.jpg

And take a look at the crappy box art, they didn't even manage to draw a track that fits the scale of the train:
LEGO_40518_alt2.jpg

Edited by legotownlinz

6 hours ago, ColletArrow said:

The box art in @zephyr1934's link reminds me heavily of BRIO or wooden-railway trains; maybe that's the market they're aiming this set at?

I totally agree.  Having collected a lot when younger, and given a lot to my younger brother several years later, the box art is still very clear in my head.  This is very similar to it.

I also can't find any evidence to back up the idea that this might foreshadow something.  Creator 3-in-1 trains have been released in 2008, 14, and 17, all steam, and bearing no relation to any expert sets either.

Oh my ... TLG appears to completely lose it. They do the "you-need-two-of-these-sets-to-make-it-look-like-a-train" thing again? As in reasonable? As with the HE, one set looks like butchered? Wow.

So 4-wide. Good idea. Compatible with wooden track. Well, after all, TLG started out with making wooden toys. Push along, folks!

You know what? I just ordered four nice dark green carriages, 6-wide, each 40 cm = 16" long for a total of 100€. I found them in the Very Dark Net. This will be my XMas present. I simply had it with TLG, train-wise. Pirate ship-wise, I had it two years ago.

My goodness. BlueBrixx is just one click away.

All the best,
Thorsten

18 hours ago, dr_spock said:

Good train for a kid with a small bedroom or person with small apartment.

Yeah - on BRIO track. I fear though, it will not do the BRIO bridge so well. Better use straights only.

Or did I miss the release of the "TLG 4-wide track system"? In that case, my apologies.

Best,
Thorsten

1 hour ago, legotownlinz said:

they didn't even manage to draw a track that fits the scale of the train:

Wow. Just wow. Now that you mentioned ...

Man. BRIO never ever made such a crappy box art. Nor do the majority of the Never Mention Them Companies. What is going on here?

Best
Thorsten

1 hour ago, Toastie said:

Wow. Just wow. Now that you mentioned ...

Man. BRIO never ever made such a crappy box art. Nor do the majority of the Never Mention Them Companies. What is going on here?

Best
Thorsten

The train theme is a dying theme, by the hands og lego themselves. Its funny how the star wars guys goes nuts over a box logo fault, screaming about a 501battlepack and actually getting it, and here we are like a bunch of gimps just hoping for one set a year that has wheels that can be used on a lego track piece :roflmao:  In legos defence, i really like that they have atleast given us some themed trains in the last years (disney train, hidden side etc) its obvious lego dont see the point in making trains like they used to, but someone is atleast trying :pir-sad2:

This could be a good sign though. Trains are always bigger sets of which a good proportion recently are AFOL focused. While this set, which unless TLG has lost the plot, is squarely focused on children. Hopefully it shows that TLG believes a wider market for modern and realistic train sets does exist outside of the niche AFOL market.

I'll buy this set just for "completeness" of owning LEGO trains (but just One copy! :classic:)

5 hours ago, Stuartn said:

While this set, which unless TLG has lost the plot, is squarely focused on children.

Once you grow past DUPLO trains, Hopefully LEGO's thinking is to cultivate a new crop of kids into LEGO trains that then become adult LEGO train fans.

My only question is I thought LEGO got into hot water a while back by showing track on packaging that wasn't included with the set??  Maybe the clunky track is meant to show that, but I think it would be smart to explicitly say "no track included".  Its clear from the pictures on the LEGO site there is no track, and maybe it is written on the packaging but I don't see it in their pics.  What I think isn't so clear to a casual observer is it won't run on regular LEGO track.

Win-win for Lego marketing. If no one buys it (because it is rubbish) then they can say that no one is interested in trains. If it is popular they can say that these sorts of sets are adequate to cater for most train demand.

Box looks like a prototype, can't image any TLG designer getting the train-track perspective that wrong.

11 hours ago, legotownlinz said:Do they really think any AFOL will put such garbage on the table?

Do they really think any AFOL will put such garbage on the table?LEGO_40518_alt3.jpg

Nuff said, really. This is a garbage set and a big wtf.

I think the train is supposed to look like a japan bullet train (like the new york taxi set, and tuk tuk are based on real vehicles) , but then the sticker says LCC - HLC which is clearly LEGO City Central and Heart Lake City, not sure what this set is trying to be beside trying to sell 2 sets to display.

(there were also cross-references of LEGO City in more recent airport sets and the 2022 Moon base)

Edited by TeriXeri

Damn, the hatred in here towards a set that's clearly not targeted towards the audience in here is... disappointing and kinda sad.