On 11/17/2021 at 10:33 PM, *thomas* said:

Would be nice to see a passenger train with doors like in the good old days. My 3 year old son who sometimes plays with my older train sets loves putting people inside the carriages w/o having to detach the roof...

And, I know DMU's and EMU's are becoming the norm, a nice passanger train with a loco and 2 carriages would be nice. This hasn't been released since the 7740 in the 80s, still many countries use them. 

But frankly, these past few years, I don't care as much as I used to. If LEGO doesn't make something appealing, I'll build it myself or find other ways. 

I think a 3 car DMU/EMU would be good, perhaps with the battery box in the centre car.  They’re quite common in the UK on shortish, local routes, and I’d wholeheartedly agree about the doors.  Bring them back!  

I also agree about the one piece noses.  They should go, however I can see why we have them.  To create a similar shape using other existing bricks would require SNOT techniques and complex building beyond the trains target audience.  

On 11/15/2021 at 9:48 PM, LEGOTrainBuilderSG said:

I hope LEGO builds an iconic steam locomotive! 

Maybe a Mallard? or a Big Boy (haha I know this will never happen) :grin:

Well Big Boy 4006 is currently on the Lego Ideas page, and although Lego Ideas is never a given, it does show that there's an interest.

https://ideas.lego.com/projects/5825f3eb-124e-40be-8ce4-1a0e6c3c4e10

On 11/15/2021 at 9:48 AM, LEGOTrainBuilderSG said:

I hope LEGO builds an iconic steam locomotive! 

Maybe a Mallard? or a Big Boy (haha I know this will never happen) :grin:

Pretty sure that both are no option for Lego. Mould King already has announced a quite good looking A4 and with a price tag of around 120 to 140, I don't see Lego releasing a loco based on the same prototype for a bit less but sans the coach, motor, smoke generator and tracks. With the Krokodil, they were the first, here, they would not be. Same goes for the Big Boy, there are already a few kits out there (although most look like rubbish like the Bluebrixx one or are stolen MOCs) but here the Krokodil set a standard for a more or less accurate locomotive - a Big Boy in that scale would demand new wheels and it needs a lot of them, and it would be huge both in size and parts count. Not sure if Lego would 'risk' that, and that's not even counting in the potential issues with R40s.

On 11/23/2021 at 12:28 AM, Gordon Werner said:

Just imagine what a Big Boy would look like, 6 wide — negotiating R40 curves 

Lego "Big Boy" 4-8-8-4 Steam Locomotive

It's a train and coming in 2022. It shows a little promise.  But yes, only 200+ pieces does not usually a train set make. But then they suggest that two can be paired to make a larger train. I'm intrigued. 

According to the number and number of pieces it might be a giveaway....

Edited by Lok24

43 minutes ago, legotownlinz said:

It's not a City set number. Let's hope it is minifig scale und runs on tracks. But it could be in a smaller scale.

If the pictures in IG are right it's 4 wide and not minifig scale. It's the strange scale than the creator taxi from this year 

6 minutes ago, Kallego said:

If the pictures in IG are right it's 4 wide and not minifig scale. It's the strange scale than the creator taxi from this year 

You mean the blue and white Creator train? I hope that's not it.

47 minutes ago, brimbolet said:

You mean the blue and white Creator train? I hope that's not it.

If they made it 6-wide it would be a decent train.

I wonder how many parents buy it and later find out it doesn't run on the tracks. It's not hard to foresee lot of disappointed or frustrated customers. Silly.

Mouldking has a similar train in 8-wide.

1 hour ago, Kallego said:

Darn it. I don't have Instagram. Borrowed the wife's to search for it and I came to the realisation I have no idea what I'm doing. 

Don't have Instagram so can't check out pictures (also wouldn't want to) but from what you're saying it sounds more (or less?) than underwhelming. An unusable train would be worse than no train at all - it just feels like a wasted opportunity then. 

Agree that set number looks like a gwp or similar (which would underline my point above). 

But let's see. 

5 minutes ago, Sunil766 said:

it just feels like a wasted opportunity then. 

It definitely is.

If they had made a Creator 3-in-1 coach compatible with City trains, many people would have bought it several times.

I don't see any reason to buy this set at all.

Edited by legotownlinz

On 11/15/2021 at 6:23 PM, TeriXeri said:

Yeah it could be nice to see a brick built passenger train model again , instead of yet another TGV/Eurostar/Bullet Train design using a big prefab piece.

7938 from 2010 didn't use a 1 piece canopy but slopes and a windshield, and nowadays there are a lot more pieces to get a smooth look.

Maybe something with the newer "boat" windscreen if it still has be a high-speed look, maybe add a solid color of the same part below it for a nose.

6332850.jpg

They can even make it look like a modern variant of 7745.

7745-1.jpg

Wasn't Horizon Express already a modern variant of 7745? I mean, 7745 was literally named "TGV Supersneltrein" in Belgian catalogues, and Horizon Express was pretty clearly based on a 1980s TGV locomotive.

That's not to say that a full TGV-inspired train like that would be unwelcome in the City theme, of course! And you're right about that 6x6x2 windscreen being a very good fit for that style of locomotive, particularly if used in both transparent and solid colors and paired with part 87619 (if it's still available to the designers). But needless to say, it'd be simpler than the Horizon Express, and probably less exciting to anybody who's already had that more advanced Creator Expert portrayal available to them.

Now, personally, my biggest train-related hope for next year is still for a train station, freight depot, and/or level crossing using the new LEGO City road system. I feel like that would be a pretty natural "next move" for both City trains AND City roads, especially since much like the 16x16x2 "platform bricks" of the 90s, the new City road plates could potentially be used not only as street-level roads, but also as station platforms or boarding ramps for a car transporter wagon/autorack.

I'm a lot less picky about locomotives and train cars, since I tend to be pretty impressed with the sort of innovations featured in new LEGO trains even when they're not anything special in the eyes of a dedicated collector. That said, I'm a sucker for "livable" interiors, so I would be happy to see LEGO continue to improve the amenities aboard their passenger trains, like the cafe car in the 2018 passenger train which I was very pleased with.

I don't know if it'd be realistic to expect "luxury" features like sleeper cars or dome cars on a modern passenger train set, since it's pretty rare to find those on real-life passenger trains these days, but in the very least it'd be awesome to see a passenger car with a toilet aboard! Considering how common toilets have become in other types of sets, their absence aboard most LEGO passenger trains feels a little odd. I know space is tight aboard LEGO trains even compared to passenger planes like 41429, but I think LEGO could still potentially make it work, especially if they make good use of panels to reduce the exterior wall thickness in certain parts of the train.

On 11/15/2021 at 6:23 PM, TeriXeri said:

The 2022 Monkie Kid space rocket set also uses some stacked 4 wide windscreens at the sides that I can't tell if they are a new part or not.

Those are actually just part 35193 turned on its side! A very cool and clever building technique (and a potentially useful recolor for Spacers), but probably not too useful for train builders who haven't already figured out a use for that part in their own MOCs.

The skytrain from 80036 The City of Lanterns is perhaps more directly relevant to this thread, in spite of its narrow gauge and cartoon pig motifs. Its Bright Red roller coaster chassis pieces could be a useful new recolor, and I'm much more pleased with this multi-carriage build than I was with the single-carriage skytrain from 41347 Heartlake City Resort. The compact design of the support struts is also pretty nifty!

It probably goes without saying that a lot of us AFOLs would prefer an actual monorail over a two-railed skytrain, but this is the first set that I feel really demonstrates how effectively it could work as a skytrain in an urban setting. Sadly, it looks as though this skytrain design would still not be able to handle inclines, since the roofs would collide with each other as they approach the base of a slope from either direction. That remains the biggest obstacle I've encountered when trying to design enclosed skytrain or space train carriages for the roller coaster chassis in my own spare time.

On a somewhat related note, I forget if I've mentioned it in any other threads, but the curved roller coaster track pieces could make an interesting truss for a train bridge, even if the actual track is built using traditional LEGO train tracks!

53 minutes ago, legotownlinz said:

If they had made a Creator 3-in-1 coach compatible with City trains, many people would have bought it several times.

I don't see any reason to buy this set at all.

Couldn't agree more.

What seems strange to me is the 7+ age recommendation, seems awfully high for such a small and seemingly simple set.

Hopefully its a sign of better things to come, and its a train at least.

50 minutes ago, Aanchir said:

I don't know if it'd be realistic to expect "luxury" features like sleeper cars or dome cars on a modern passenger train set, since it's pretty rare to find those on real-life passenger trains these days, but in the very least it'd be awesome to see a passenger car with a toilet aboard! Considering how common toilets have become in other types of sets, their absence aboard most LEGO passenger trains feels a little odd. I know space is tight aboard LEGO trains even compared to passenger planes like 41429, but I think LEGO could still potentially make it work, especially if they make good use of panels to reduce the exterior wall thickness in certain parts of the train.

Lego don't seem to care too much about whether things are common or not these days, so hopefully features like domes or sleepers do appear on the next trains. Anything to make the next passenger train look a bit different besides a new colour would be appreciated. A toilet would be great, the recent passenger airplane had one so hopefully this is an indicator for its inclusion in a train. I wouldn't mind even if it took up too great a section of the train as it could probably be modified.