As @legotownlinz listed last year, recent trains have been: 

• 60335 Train Station 
  • 60336 Freight Train
  • 60337 High Speed Passenger Train 
  • 76405 Hogwarts Express Collector’s Edition
  • 10308 Holiday Main Street (trolley/tram)

N/A

• 10277 Crocodile Locomotive
  • 40370 Trains 40th Anniversary Set (GWP)
  • 60271 Main Square (tram)

• 70424 Ghost Train Express
  • 71044 Disney Train

• 75955 Hogwarts Express
  • 60197 Passenger Train
  • 60198 Cargo Train

• 10259 Winter Village Station

• 10254 Winter Holiday Train

Sets with a strikethrough are retired.

Itallicised sets are ones with expected imminent retirement.

Bold sets are new for 2022.

Following this pattern, a CITY cargo and passenger train are very likely to be released in 2022 - this two trains every four years pattern dates back to 2006.

According to Brickset, 60271 will be retired at the end of 2021.  The crocodile has just been retired, as has the Disney Train, meaning that once the City trains are discontinued, the Hogwarts Express will be the only one left.  It’s also worth noting that the Hogwarts Express is the only Harry Potter set left from the first wave when it returned back in 2018.

2021 was the first year there hasn’t been a train set at minifigure scale, so hopefully we’ll get another other next year.

Edited by Vilhelm22
2022 City trains and Hogwarts Express added, Main Square status change, Holiday Main Street added

Of course this is all very likely but for now we don't have any concrete info do we?

@JopieK You’re right - I’m modifying the thread now as it isn’t.  The 2021 thread was created almost precisely a year ago, and is now mainly 2022 discussion so I thought now would be the time.

1 hour ago, zephyr1934 said:

With a "nicest of the dammed" (i.e., the one just below those that were selected to move on) vote in the 90th anniversary of the Lego Group fan vote, there is a distant chance of a train set coming out of that.

Good point.  The success of the Crocodile and that poll, among others, could give them further evidence of AFOL demand and therefore increase likelihood of a set.

On a different note, JediJacPenguin is a very reliable source of leaks - though not a leaker himself AFAIK, he records all of them.  His list of 2022 Creator Expert sets, though mostly blank, has numbers 10296 to 10311 (16 sets).  I'm wondering if one of those could be a train...

Personally I would love a creator steam loco. Preferably one with an aerodynamic cover, think Mallard, DR 05 001-3 etc…

Alternatively a rerelease (or modern rendition) of the Santa Fe would be fantastic, for the diesel fans.

As for the city trains: I hope they move away from the big molded pieces. Bothers me quite a lot on passenger trains. Don’t really mind the rest

@McWaffel What would be a decent, modern passenger prototype that TLG could model which wouldn't necessitate a large 1-piece mold for the front?

Also, does anyone think we'll be seeing more green engines/ rolling stock to coincide with TLG's commitment to more eco-friendly business practices?

13 minutes ago, M_slug357 said:

@McWaffel What would be a decent, modern passenger prototype that TLG could model which wouldn't necessitate a large 1-piece mold for the front?

Also, does anyone think we'll be seeing more green engines/ rolling stock to coincide with TLG's commitment to more eco-friendly business practices?

The last freight engine was green, so I don't think either possible 2022 models (freight or passenger) will be green. I could be wrong though!

As for a passenger prototype, it may not be modern, but what about any of the 1930's Zephyr's? (The Mark Twain Zephyr might work, as it + the fourth car from the original Pioneer Zephyr are being restoring it to working order in Wisconsin, so it might be a good choice) After all, the streamline craze and Zephyr-mania of the 1930's pretty well started with this type of train. Part 73878 would do well for the front window, and the shovel-nose front end can be made using studs-up 2x2x2 slope parts, or can be SNOTed to make a more gradual slope using other parts... this would solve the problem of it potentially being a one-piece nose.

4 hours ago, M_slug357 said:

I was thinking along the lines of 4559 Cargo Highspeed Train, or the blue Railway Express, or the classic Metroliner. They had big pieces for the headlight section, but at least windows and everything above the headlights were individual pieces.

Believe it or not, most trains aren’t sloped in the front though, so you know… they could just make a normal train for once too

Edited by McWaffel

Yeah it could be nice to see a brick built passenger train model again , instead of yet another TGV/Eurostar/Bullet Train design using a big prefab piece.

7938 from 2010 didn't use a 1 piece canopy but slopes and a windshield, and nowadays there are a lot more pieces to get a smooth look.

Maybe something with the newer "boat" windscreen if it still has be a high-speed look, maybe add a solid color of the same part below it for a nose.

6332850.jpg

They can even make it look like a modern variant of 7745.

7745-1.jpg 

The 2022 Monkie Kid space rocket set also uses some stacked 4 wide windscreens at the sides that I can't tell if they are a new part or not.

Edited by TeriXeri

Pure speculation on my part, but I'd love to see a brick-built subway train as the probable 2022 "passenger" train.   The closest to an actual subway that TLG has released is that Marvel set 4855 Spider Man's Train Rescue.   Imagine how nice a three-car subway train might look...

2 hours ago, IHadMegaBloksAsAKid said:

Blows my mind Powered Up / 60197 & 60198 were released in 2018. Time flies.

Couldn’t care less for those battery-powered systems to be honest. The only engine I own that never runs is the only power functions train that I have. The hatred I have towards batteries is unreal. :innocent: Thankfully with the FxBricks folks releasing new 9V motors in the future, I don’t have to worry about not being able to run new trains anymore. 

With Amtrak's introduction of the Siemens Charger locomotives and other local/regional providers in the US using Siemens locomotives, it becomes a lot easier for Lego to design a single modern train that looks like it could belong in the US or Europe or other parts of the world. I would agree though, brick built noses beat single use parts.

On 11/16/2021 at 10:31 AM, zephyr1934 said:

With Amtrak's introduction of the Siemens Charger locomotives and other local/regional providers in the US using Siemens locomotives, it becomes a lot easier for Lego to design a single modern train that looks like it could belong in the US or Europe or other parts of the world. I would agree though, brick built noses beat single use parts.

I wholeheartedly agree. Making a Siemens locomotive would cross over well to both sides of the Atlantic. Give it a generic color scheme. As to all the thoughts on a brick built nose, I'd be happier with that option as well. It allows for more customization and options. Besides, I thought the 2000's taught LEGO to shy away from massive one use pieces.

It could be an easier building and playing experience with a single piece nose for certain segments of the population. I guess it depends on whom TLG targets for a specific product set.  An Amtrak passenger train would be cool.

2 hours ago, dr_spock said:

It could be an easier building and playing experience with a single piece nose for certain segments of the population. I guess it depends on whom TLG targets for a specific product set.  An Amtrak passenger train would be cool.

I neither care about single piece noses nor if it is Amtrak or not but rather if it is well-designed. I hope for innovation, new train specific parts, better use of Powered Up, accessory sets (e.g. additional couches, railroad crossing, station, ...).

Would be nice to see a passenger train with doors like in the good old days. My 3 year old son who sometimes plays with my older train sets loves putting people inside the carriages w/o having to detach the roof...

And, I know DMU's and EMU's are becoming the norm, a nice passanger train with a loco and 2 carriages would be nice. This hasn't been released since the 7740 in the 80s, still many countries use them. 

But frankly, these past few years, I don't care as much as I used to. If LEGO doesn't make something appealing, I'll build it myself or find other ways. 

22 hours ago, *thomas* said:

But frankly, these past few years, I don't care as much as I used to. If LEGO doesn't make something appealing, I'll build it myself or find other ways. 

Same for me. I'm not as excited about the 2022 City trains as I was about the current ones. I've decided to go 7- or 8-wide but I doubt Lego has serious plans for the AFOL train market. 

I love the last giant one piece front on the 2018 set but brick built is fine too. I don't think we will get a City brick built as it will cost more than a big piece.

I would really like a station. They have the new road plates that I think would be great for a new station.

18 minutes ago, Maple said:

I would really like a station. They have the new road plates that I think would be great for a new station.

New road plates would be good for a station platform, if they put some parts under it and some good ramps , like the older stations, those road plates have antistuds under them after all.

I mean even if it's not raised, and looks like the other 'My City' sets with the new road plates would be fine. I got the Disney Station (no train) for $100 on eBay and it's flat and looks great. I just love train station even more than trains.