Hello! This creation took quite long to make, but here it is - MAZ 5316 scalemodel. It has several functions and features:

- Driving by buggy motor, 4WD (gear ratio is about 63/5)

- Steering by servo motor

- Remotely controlled differential lock using pneumatics. For the pump I took inspiration from the Sariel's one. (Single L motor)

- Working headlights and taillights

- Tilting cab with a fake decorative engine underneath it

- Openable doors with rubber band locks

- Easy access to the power unit (BuWizz 2.0)

- Working suspension on all axles (Live axle suspension)

- Custom stickers and other details

Overall, the model turned out to be a pretty good off-roader, though it weighs over 2kg. Snow made it harder for the electronics, but the performance was still nice. Also, I'd change the tires in case of driving it on snow. :D Dimensions are very similar to 42129, but the scale is bigger. The main problem of this model is that the pneumatics work inconsistently because of the length of the tubes. Also, steering angle is a bit too wide. 3D model is in process right now, so there is a very slight chance of me starting to make the instructions for it.

Video link:

Photos:

51781498682_6f29818097_c.jpg

51781498532_5bdc0dc39a_c.jpg

51783191390_b3c2906dd7_c.jpg

51782559448_7240012f46_c.jpg

51782314446_81acbcd1a1_c.jpg

51783191025_a2150a4db3_c.jpg

51782559303_2661df01cd_c.jpg

51782559218_36be63e375_c.jpg

51783190725_1356af9534_c.jpg

51782313791_b263aae9c3_c.jpg

51783190550_193cfc3bb0_c.jpg

51782313321_41d1da58a6_c.jpg

51782313461_925cb7c934_c.jpg

51782313601_032f4434a1_c.jpg

51782558253_c6401923dc_c.jpg

51783190115_68734565b8_c.jpg

51782312941_6f9087bdc2_c.jpg

Thank you!

Edited by Danifill

Apart from the steering geometry this is a very nice, and inspiring build!

Love both the general geometry of the whole model and the shaping of the frame and the cabin, and it has impressive articulation on the axles! Very well done.

Could you make a cad rendering of the drivetrain? Would love to see how you geared down the buggy motor and transferred it's torque to the wheels.

_ED_

2 minutes ago, Nazgarot said:

Love both the general geometry of the whole model and the shaping of the frame and the cabin, and it has impressive articulation on the axles! Very well done.

Could you make a cad rendering of the drivetrain? Would love to see how you geared down the buggy motor and transferred it's torque to the wheels.

_ED_

Thank you for the feedback! Steering is one of the main problems here indeed. The axle itself is pretty compact and rigid, but I still can’t find a proper way to reduce the steering angle with the portal hubs in my models.

Yes, I guess I can make a render of that. I’ll publish it here relatively soon. :)

Nice looking build and the performance is pretty good, both the suspension and the drivetrain. I'd also be interested in the gearing. Is the slow output of the buggy motor geared down 3x before it goes to the diffs? (The image from below suggests that.) If so, I don't get how the 7/45 gear ratio is achieved. Does it need lubrication to avoid damage to some parts near the motor?

Another neat model, the only things that I would pick on would be the buggy motor sticking out at the back and the wheel pivot at this scale is not ideal - I know it's for robustness and portal axle gearing, but still this isn't ideal.

Great build nevertheless :)

18 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

Nice looking build and the performance is pretty good, both the suspension and the drivetrain. I'd also be interested in the gearing. Is the slow output of the buggy motor geared down 3x before it goes to the diffs? (The image from below suggests that.) If so, I don't get how the 7/45 gear ratio is achieved. Does it need lubrication to avoid damage to some parts near the motor?

Thank you! Slow output of the motor is geared down by 3:1 firstly, then it goes to the diffs, and after that to the portal hubs (also 3:1). I might be wrong with the total gear ratio calculations, but I retried it and got 54/5 :D (probably, I messed up because the older version of the model had a different gear ratio, I might have taken it from there)

Edit: about lubrication - I didn’t disassemble the model yet, but usually there isn’t much plastic dust left.

18 hours ago, SaperPL said:

Another neat model, the only things that I would pick on would be the buggy motor sticking out at the back and the wheel pivot at this scale is not ideal - I know it's for robustness and portal axle gearing, but still this isn't ideal.

Great build nevertheless :)

Thank you!

Yeah, the steering in this scale is still a great quest for me. :D I could make the buggy motor not sticking out tho, but the L motor and the BuWizz are right by the sides of it (the pump is right next to it as well), so I didn’t find a better way to do that. Probably, I could place the motor in a different orientation, but it would most likely require more gears to use for transitioning the torque.

Edited by Danifill

7 minutes ago, Danifill said:

I retried it and got 54/5

Thanks, so if there's 1:3 at the motor, 20:28 = 5:7 at the diff and 1:3 at the portal hubs, then I calculate 5:63 = 1:12.6. Interestingly, that's exactly the same ratio as if you use a heavy-duty diff (12:28) and a planetary hub (1:5.4) with no gearing after the motor..

3 hours ago, gyenesvi said:

Thanks, so if there's 1:3 at the motor, 20:28 = 5:7 at the diff and 1:3 at the portal hubs, then I calculate 5:63 = 1:12.6. Interestingly, that's exactly the same ratio as if you use a heavy-duty diff (12:28) and a planetary hub (1:5.4) with no gearing after the motor..

Thanks for that, I forgot that the diff has 28 teeth… :D 

Just got those parts tho, so it should be much easier to make such reductions in the future.

4 hours ago, Nazgarot said:

_ED_

51784051034_0cc73de174_w.jpg

So, here's the render of its transmission. Green axles are the ones connected to the wheels through the hubs. I hope that helps!